Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
I had a coworker who, on day two of her job, told us all about the fact that she was filing for bankruptcy. Totally out of the blue, no one was even remotely talking about money stuff. According to her, she got a credit card for some medical bills and then "just couldn't stop spending." She kept bragging about how it was some special bankruptcy that would let her keep her car, a fairly new Mitsubishi Eclipse. We all pointed out that now that she had a full time job with us and was pulling down 30k easily she could just pay her debts and not get screwed down the road, but nope, she wanted a fresh slate (I believe the overall debt was something like 11k).

A couple months after everything was resolved she totaled her car and then was unable to get a loan for a new one, and complained constantly about the cheap beater she had to drive to work. Karma's a bitch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyz
May 22, 2007

My in-laws bought a local time share in Bar Harbor a while back and go through some sort of trading program where they basically get an apartment for a week wherever they want to go, and I think all they need to pay is a $300 fee for the change. Seems to work out pretty well for them.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I don't know exactly, but I think they bought it long enough ago and cheaply enough that it's basically paid for itself already. They seem to do alright getting to where they want to go, and my husband and I used it once to get a pretty decent room with a small kitchen in Vegas so it seems to work fine for them. $300 is still cheaper than what it would normally cost.

Speaking of my in-laws, they come so perilously close to being bad with money but none of their plans actually bankrupt them and as far as I know they are doing fine retirement wise so they're not hurting for anything. But I think at one point they owned 5 houses. They carved out a couple acres of their shorefront property, built a cottage with the intent of renting it out and making big bucks on their proximity to Bar Harbor. And then the recession hit and they kind of dropped the ball on pursuing renters so they put it up for sale. They bought a foreclosure to have a place closer to their work, dropped 10k into redoing the foundation - and when my husband and I moved out of it they kind of lost interest in it and let their other son neglect it and let it rot. They jumped on a house in Florida during the housing crisis... didn't get it as cheap as they wanted, but they figured they'd find a renter and it would pay for itself... but they never bothered with that and just let it sit empty (and now my brother-in-law is moving from the foreclosure to that house).

It's pretty incredible, but aside from a mortgage that is probably larger than it should be they don't have any other debt. They are already making plans to sell off the two houses in Maine and buy a cabin on a lake in southern Maine... it will remain to be seen if they actually sell the houses before buying the cabin.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

Volmarias posted:

Have you physically tested (ignore the map, the map is awful lies) the connectivity at home, work, your commute, and other places where you will use the phone?

I love T-Mobile, but Verizon's network really is better from what I can tell.

Yes, definitely do this. I switched from TMobile to Verizon because I never got any signal in buildings (and my own house).

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I was bad at buying cars. My husband got a huge deal on buying a previous model year car, so when my old car racked up the last massive repair bill we were willing to pay I went to the dealership looking to buy a previous year Mazda3 hatchback... not knowing that the new model year was the first year that they had the Skyactive engines with drastically better gas mileage. The salesman probably did an internal jig of glee when I said I wanted a previous model year and never once pitched me on the new ones. Probably my only saving grace in that whole mess was that I qualified for the 0% APR easily.

Oh well, it's going to be paid off in the next few months and I'm going to drive it until it won't go anymore. My mother seems to think I need a bigger vehicle because of the kids, but their car seats are only going to get smaller and they fit fine now, so no thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyz
May 22, 2007

EgonSpengler posted:

Most of the people talking about how little car you really need probably didn't need to fit two rear-facing car seats into their cars at any point. Kids start out needing a pile of safety equipment and stuff to transport in a car, and it scales down over time. When my kids were both under two, we ended up needing a minivan. Now that they are older, a compact wagon is enough space.

Since it was just me driving the kids around most of the time, the big rear-facing convertible car seat went behind the passenger seat and anyone who sat there was just going to be uncomfortable. The infant bucket seat went behind the driver's seat and I ended up being the only one who could drive my car. When my daughter graduated up to the covertible seat my son switched to front facing out of necessity at just shy of three years old. It wasn't ideal but we made it work, given we really only drove together as a family on weekends. For longer trips we would just move the whole setup to my husband's car which had a couple inches more to spare. And I did extensive research to find a tandem stroller that would fit in the hatchback.

I'll admit the thought of a minivan does kind of appeal to me but it's not a neccessity and I'm really looking forward to not having a car payment anymore.

• Locked thread