Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Socialized posted:

My neck of Wisconsin has a relatively cheap cost of living.

The other question is E/N poo poo I'd really rather not get into here.

You should post a thread here if you want help/encouragement wrangling your expenses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

tiananman posted:

Saving 12% of your take home isn't exactly stellar. He's certainly not bad with money since he doesn't appear to live above his means.

If he's making 100k, saving 17k for his 401k (that's what it takes to max it out) and around 1k per month out of what he gets after that, that's around 25% of his gross salary and significantly more than 12% of his take-home pay.

Rexfumado, you should check out the stickied long-term investing and retirement thread.

EDIT: I mean, you should really consider whether you think you're actually getting $1000 more enjoyment out of your 2500/mo apartment compared to a 1500/mo apartment, because you should be able to have a lot of fun with that $1000/month or whatever (and you might have even more fun with a two-week $5000 vacation every year instead). And you should definitely have an emergency fund and look into getting an IRA. But as long as you're taking steps to not gently caress your future up with debt or not-enough-retirement, I wouldn't worry too much about living it up while you're young.

Colin Mockery fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 30, 2013

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

I forgot about a W2 (it was mailed to the wrong address) and wasn't paying enough attention to catch it so I misfiled my taxes in 2012 (for the 2011 year).

The IRS contacted me in mid 2013 with a bill and an automated letter that said "you didn't report this W2 that we got."

They charged me 3% yearly interest and let me mail them a check. (This was about 1000 dollars that I owed them; hardly a whole year's worth of taxes.)

I am pretty sure that anyone who hasn't filed their taxes for 5+ years and not gotten a letter from the IRS is just overpaying them.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

zaurg posted:

Why are all these people horrible with money? Schooling failed them? Parents failed them? They're hopeless regardless of the education?

Long time no see. How've you been doing?

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

FrozenVent posted:

Can't really blame her there, are those things supposed to hurt?

Yes. Your mouth aches until you get used to it/the teeth start shifting a bit (which is the point of braces) and the metal bits cut into your mouth until the skin gets used to it (they give you wax to ease the pain while the inside of your mouth adjusts).

It's literally metal wires that gradually drag your teeth into a straight row.

Colin Mockery fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 6, 2014

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

zaurg posted:

- At one point credit card balances was zero and emergency fund was near 10k. Now credit cards are up to about 1k and emergency fund + savings is only at about 3k. At least I'm throwing cash at 401k.
This is my life. I don't even know the balances because I don't check the finances at all any more... I might take a peak every couple months. Let the wife handle that. She likes to spend money. First year in house we bought a ton of new furniture and recently upgraded all windows because it was a great deal at 8k (home depot quoted 22k, another company quoted 18k) so 8k was a great deal and we had to do it. Now next goal is to update guest/kids bathroom before the end of the year, estimated cost 5k. Wife and I agreed to wait to do it until we had 5k in cash saved up and the emergency fund was at 5k, so that's something.

Don't do what zaurg does I guess is the point. Save your average income money for 5-10 years, then you can do stuff you want to do because the cash is on hand and you won't be going into further debt or something.

She's hiding a maxed out credit card from you.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Thank you, /r/personalfinance. Bolding is mine.

quote:

Hello there: we are a family of 5. 3 kids and us. My weekly take home is $1393. We have $20K in unsecured debt, but low interest which I'm paying off monthly. 2 Car payments $220 ($6000 left) and $360($18000 left). My wife does not work full time, but she has an amazon book store which brings in on an average $300 a month. My IRA is at $44000, out of which $10000 is Roth. We want to add an extension to our house. The contractor bid $35000. We will negotiate it down to $30000. Based on the interest rate and my credit score, If I borrow $30000 as home improvement loan, my monthly payment is going to be ~ $275 a month. I forgot to mention, our Mortgage payment is $1867. I was wondering how should I manage the cost of borrowing the $30000 with my current salary. a) Take money out from IRA and pay off the car. This will free the $220 a month to pay for the Home Improvement loan Monthly installment. b) Withdraw everything from the IRA and use that to finance the construction? c) Hybrid: Withdraw half from the IRA and remaining from the bank and use that to fund the construction?

I could really use some help here!

Thanks a bunch!

Edit: Here is the monthly budget: Yearly Gross: $98000. Weekly take home: 1393

Expenses: Mortgage: $1867
Car 1: 220
Car 2: 360
Loan payment : $430
Cable: 75 (basic + internet)
Netflix: $12:00
Car insurance : 175
Heating bill : 300 (Budget plan)
Student loan : 204
Phone bill: (3 lines) $160 (ATT)
Grocery: $400
Gas: $200
And yes, I'm interviewing for a side job. I'm an Engineer at a premier electronics device manufacturer.

Reason for upgrade: Another baby coming in. I know, I know ! But being from a very small family, when my parents died early, us two brothers had tough time. So I wanted a larger family.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Jeffrey posted:

No reason to limit yourself to trucks - postmates does this. You can pretty much get them to run arbitrary errands for you in NYC and a few other cities.

Postmates is just an iphone app on top of a courier service, and courier services have existed for ages.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Oh, I probably misinterpreted your tone then, my bad. I live in the Bay Area and I am just unbelievably loving sick of people who think they're doing something ~super innovative~ when their entire product amounts to "slap an iPhone app on top of a service that has always been there and pretend you're the first person who realized people would pay money for it".

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Maybe he should have leased the car.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

legsarerequired posted:

I just found out that my roommate, days after his rent check bounced, spent hundreds of dollars on pot brownies from a dealer.

EDIT: Very glad I only have to worry about this for another month or so.

What did he do, buy a cooler full? Don't brownies go bad?

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

He pays significantly more in rent than my entire monthly budget.

Colin Mockery fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 30, 2014

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Yeah it really depends on the brand. Different ones have a different value of grams protein/dollar spent.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

The person who said BFC is a means, not an end, has it spot on. The point of being good with money is to empower you to use it in the way that makes you happiest, [i]not/i] to hoard it in a big pile and be miserable as you watch your numbers get bigger. You already know how it'll affect your financial situation to move and you don't appear to have any unrealistic expectations ("I'm going to move to LA and become famous" or "I'm going to pay down my credit cards by winning the lottery"), so if that choice is what you think will make you happiest in the long-term, then you should absolutely do it.

I'm glad you're moving back to do something and be somewhere you love. :)

(Also "my planned living situation just unexpectedly fell through but I need to move to get a better job that I feel good about" sounds like the entire point of having an emergency fund, so that sounds good with money to me.)

Colin Mockery fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Dec 25, 2014

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Pompous Rhombus posted:

The Kirkland stuff is actually Grey Goose (actually I think they also now have a lower end vodka too that comes in an even bigger bottle they sell alongside it, but the OG Kirkland stuff is re-labled GG). Nerds On The Internet also pulled the distillery permits from ATF to figure out that the small batch bourbon came from Jim Beam, you can do this for all of their alcohol to figure out who the original manufacturer is thanks to federal law. Also, in many states it's illegal to require someone to buy a membership to purchase alcohol, so Costco's liquor stores are separate from the main store and you can buy from there without having to show a Costco card.

The last time I went to Costco, I spent $80 and walked out with a gallon of hard liquor. I'll leave whether this is good with money or not as an exercise to the reader.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

I don't know, if you're not paying close attention and you're relatively naive, it seems like a reasonable mistake to make. If a store told me I had up to $2000 store credit, I'd think they wanted me to think it was free money (ex: rewards points or something). I'd be suspicious, of course, because I'm not a teenager, but I can see how he'd get confused and I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out he'd been lied to.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

SYSV Fanfic posted:

How do you guys keep from making small snap purchases? I've been watching the story of stuff and listening to pod casts, but that has just kept me from snap buying crap I don't need that is new. $2 cups of decaf coffee are my bane. I could have saved 50% more this month if I had further eliminated small pleasures from my life.

$2 on a cup of coffee on my way to work or whatever (we have free coffee at work) just feels, to my brain, really expensive for something that I don't actually feel is worth the two dollars compared to the alternative, which is perfectly decent coffee for free if I wait a few minutes. I know I can probably afford an impulse snack every day or whatever, but I think about it like this:

It's $2. If I buy it, I'll have it for the thirty minutes it takes to drink or whatever, and an hour after that i won't get any happiness or satisfaction out of having it or having eaten it. If I don't buy it, ten minutes later I'll have forgotten even wanting one. If I can so easily forget about having wanted it, then it clearly isn't worth my money and I might as well hold onto that $2 and spend it on something I'd like more.

If it's not completely an impulse purchase and you honestly really like decaf coffee and it would make you sad to not have it, do what everyone else says and get a cost-effective source of coffee (make it at home and bring a thermos), so that you still get what you want as often as you want, just cheaper.

There are some things I really do like, that make me happy to eat. There's a bakery near me that sells really good pastries for less than $2. But I don't need to get something from there every day and I know that if I did, I'd probably enjoy the 5th bun in as many days less than I do the first one I've had in a while. So I usually only go there once every couple weeks or so.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

moana posted:

Hahahah, I totally want to open up a financial dominatrix business. I would dress in black leather and put all of their money in diversified index funds.

"Oh baby, tell me what to do."
"loving max out that Roth. Max it out so hard. I'm your beneficiary, aren't I? Aren't I?!"

http://www.smbc-comics.com/?id=3601

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Honestly, the long print time doesn't seem that bad as long as you can somehow hook it up to a computer and set up an automated queue for pieces (or even just timed alarms). Think about how much of each day a sink or stove is turned off.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

zaurg posted:

wife bought some dish that now has the purpose of holding butter for $50 from costco last week

Long time no see.

How... are you doing? I'm a bit afraid to ask.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Krispy Kareem posted:

How far do people who work menial jobs in San Francisco have to commute? What happens to the service industry when no one can afford to live in the city?

Mostly they commute from Oakland (which has driven up rental prices there, of course) on the BART. Also, people who are willing to live with roommates can find places for around 800-1200/month for a room that's a bit further from downtown, which obviously works better if you're single and don't have kids, but the minimum wage is something like $11 right now (I just looked it up and it goes to 12.25 next month), and going much higher in the next few years (the city recently passed a $15 minimum wage law that eventually also gets tied to inflation, iirc).

Being a tipped employee is actually pretty decent money (comparatively speaking) since California doesn't exempt them from minimum wage laws, too.

Colin Mockery fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 12, 2015

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Watch rent go up 10% in those apartments the next couple of months after they increase the minimum wage

I don't know how the leases work when you're joining as a roommate onto an existing household, but a lot of older buildings are rent-controlled :toot:.

(That is a contributor to why the new buildings are all so much more expensive.)

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Zool posted:

Unless their property taxes are reduced by rent control, there is a very strong incentive to do this.

This probably belongs more in the CA politics thread but yes, this is what's been happening and people are screaming bloody murder. (Except for the property tax part; CA doesn't reassess property taxes regularly for some dipshit reason or something (Prop 13).)

The real kick in the teeth is that the last person who went to the media to publicly shame a landlord who tried to evict them turned out to be renting out her below-market apartment as a hotel on AirBnB at market rates (90/night).

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Do you actually really want to go on a safari with your family? Would you want that more than just taking the money and buying a bunch of cool toys or other vacations with it?

If not, I don't see the point because it sounds like a waste.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Krispy Kareem posted:

In another article they tried to compare their graduation rates with community colleges. Community colleges, that cost a fraction of what Corinthian charges. Community colleges, that have an absolutely horrible graduation rate compared to 4 year universities and a pretty bad success rate compared to the average for-profit college. That's the best defense they could come up with.

Maybe I'm wrong but don't some people take community college classes without even intending to graduate from a degree program? A lot of them are quite affordable if you just want to learn something new, so it hardly feels like a fair comparison.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

I'm on a separate lease from my housemates. It loving rocks.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

pig slut lisa posted:

Having a roommate(s) is a great way to save money by sharing living expenses. For instance, groceries! Oh wait you eat out all the time.

That actually doesn't work at all if your eating/spending habits differ (vegan/gluten-free, organic food only, etc).

dietcokefiend posted:

I can understand why most complexes wouldn't want that to individually account each persona wholly accountable for the rent, but how come these aren't more common? Maybe I answered that though.

My apartment's owned by a person, not a company, and we replace people who move out one at a time instead of moving out all at once as a group, which makes it very low-effort on our landlord's part so long as everyone pays rent. And no one wants to live with someone who can't make rent, even if they're not on the hook for it, so that's self-selecting too.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Why the hell is it any concern to him that his old roommates screwed up. If he isn't on the lease anymore it doesn't affect him and if he moved across country doubly so. There as to be more to this story or this guy is immensely naive

It's reddit. What do you expect?

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Uber's also still telling people to lie about working for Uber to get personal insurance instead of commercial and a lot of drivers can't afford commercial sooooo.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Blackjack2000 posted:

I don't remember if it was discussed in this thread (I think it probably was since I heard about it on Mr. Money Mustache) but it's a thing to rent out rooms in your NYC rent controlled apartment for more than the cost of your rent. Obviously this is a violation of the lease, and probably the law too, but I imagine the sub-letters in this scenario are actually not that sore about it. Getting a rent controlled apartment in NYC is kind of seen as a jackpot, so it's probably just seen as leveraging your windfall, where my scenario would be seen as duplicitous or deceptive or something.

People keep doing this in SF (usually with AirBnB, usually without paying the appropriate taxes) and then screaming bloody murder about greedy landlords and gentrification when they get evicted over it (it's against the lease, possibly illegal?, and depending on who you rent to, can mean there's a lot of random strangers with keys to apartment complexes, which annoys the neighbors).

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Uh maybe people lied to me but I thought you could just write "VOID" in big letters over a check and it wouldn't be cashable? Is that not true?

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Next question: where do you shower on a houseboat?

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Zo posted:

What the gently caress do you mean by "underwater"? Who buys a house that IS underwater? Are you using some kind of retarded definition of underwater here? I guess my idea that "underwater" means under water is old fashioned.

http://financial-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/underwater

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

:negative: I'm easily confused, sorry.

To contribute something actually BWM, one of my Facebook friends (who I know as a friend-of-a-friend and have probably only met in person twice) has spent the last several months trying to set up some sort of overly-ambitious cafe/hangout place in his small hometown of roughly 20,000 people. The description is a whole load of generic buzzwords -- a place for learning and spirituality, a community resource for people from all walks of life, hosting all sorts of creative events, and so on and so forth, but I'm pretty sure it's mostly a cafe/hangout/event space for creative types.

I've only been sort of vaguely paying attention to it until recently, as it gets closer (maybe? a couple weeks ago it still didn't have bathrooms, I think) to completion and has started to pick up some attention in his local news, etc. Apparently, he's rolling in $55k worth of credit card debt (with a handful of maxed out cards included in there), made a Kickstarter for it (it didn't make much money), AND now has a Patreon account too, but he's still $10k short for something or other.

Apparently today was the day he was finally ready to start putting expenses into QuickBooks.

At least he's having fun, I guess?

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Did he enroll or just apply? Because I just ignored acceptances and was fine when I went to college and all the letters I did get had told me to sign up on the website or whatever to actually enroll an sign up for housing and stuff.

(On the other hand, I was only accepted to state schools and they shared a lot of infrastructure, I think, soooo.)

Edit: nvm he says later that he was assigned an advisor who enrolled him and signed him up for classes but didn't follow up on the withdrawal attempt.

Colin Mockery fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 18, 2015

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Moneyball posted:

Anybody got any bad with money stories?

My facebook friend's fancy cafe/community center opens on the 18th and he's already maxed out five credit cards for it and is really excited about it.

I'm not sure what his plan is as far as "breaking even" is right now, let alone paying down 50k of debt at a 20%ish interest rate, but aren't restaurants/small businesses in general expected to operate in the red for the first year or so, even when they're doing well?

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

So it's a couple days after Christmas and the worst BWM we have come up with is a $200 toy car that the baby is a bit too small to ride in?

Well, the guy whose cafe I mentioned here opened a couple weeks ago and this is the owner's current fb status:

quote:

it's at a critical state at [redacted]. very touch-and-go. lolllll every day I have to check my bank account to see what was withdrawn: 12 auto-pay credit cards, car, rent, phone, utilities, random auto-pay, etc. and make sure there are funds to cover it. so far, so good. I actually think I'm going to swing this thing. everyone says, "don't air your dirty laundry and the financial realities of the space. it makes you look unstable and unappealing to potential investors." well, sweet cheeks, I full funded this baby on my own with a few small donations from friends. I'm not worried about scaring away would-be investors. If folks want to invest in a space like this, they are going to want to do it even more when they here the actual story. WYSIWYG. transparency and compassionate openness is where it's at. and the reality is I obliterated my credit score, pulled a little hat-trick theatre, and maxed out $65,000 worth of credit - risking it all on the belief in - and vision for - a different way of doing business. no blue print, no business plan, no idea what the hell I was doing. just a little sweet bird chirping in my ear, "why not?" and I would do it all over again. This is the adventure of a lifetime. why hide it away?
crap. these 18 hour days are such natural adrenaline. sleep, I say !

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

IllegallySober posted:

I'll give it less than a month before he folds the business.

Not a chance. He's emotionally tied up in it and he'll be able to last a while sales-wise from the novelty of a new place that doubles as a community center. Plus, missing rent for a month won't be enough to get him evicted. He'll easily get past the three-month mark.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

pathetic little tramp posted:

In the third episode, we find there is a service literally called "ManServant"

Ironically, that's probably one of the less bad ones because it follows a stripper business model instead of the "sharing economy" one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Update on houseboat guy for the lazy:

Well I guess that explains why there's been a ton of posts since I last checked.

• Locked thread