Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Bad with Money: when you live at home with your mom rent-free "to save money" but she's a hoarder and the kitchen is full of crap so you can't use the stove or most of the fridge meaning you have to eat out all the time, and the shower is broken so you have to have a gym membership that you only use for showering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

DizzyBum posted:

But man oh man I wish we had Google Fiber nearby. If they start laying cable nearby, I'm dropping AT&T like a bad habit.

They're not doing this anymore, but I got (basic) seven years free service after paying the $300 installation fee, which was a pretty good deal.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I don't have a link because I'm on my phone but there's a guy on Reddit right now who wants to buy a sailboat with his friends in Seattle and rent it out on AirBnB.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Weatherman posted:

BWM is living in a country where "gently caress you, got mine" is the national motto. You guys should have that on your coins instead of E Pluribus Anus or whatever it is at the moment.

Benjamin Franklin wanted the money to say "Mind Your Business" to remind people to be financially prudent, which probably wouldn't have worked.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

FourLeaf posted:

Bad With Money, also Bad With Morality: Abusing your girlfriend while allowing her to manage all the household payments because you can't be bothered, thus making it easy for her to kick your violent rear end to the curb. I also posted this in the Schadenfraude thread.

I'm sure this reddit post will be deleted soon so I copied it: https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/4xu0yy/my_girlfriend_elaborately_made_me_homeless/

"My girlfriend elaborately made me homeless"

Somebody call Paul Simon so he can update 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover

Make the perfect plan, Jan
then lock him out of your place, Grace
and make him homeless, Jess
Just get yourself free

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

El Mero Mero posted:

The only thing I can think of where that would make sense would be a person with no vision insurance buying two pairs of fancy prescription sunglasses.

Yeah but you don't have to buy two pairs of prescription glasses every drat month.

Sidenote: I work for an eye clinic and get one pair of free glasses every year and all additional glasses at cost. It's pretty great. I could also get free LASIK if I wanted.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Less Fat Luke posted:

Just a question, why would you not get free LASIK? I had PRK which is a super loving painful version of it and it was still one of the best things I've done healthwise.

My vision isn't that bad. I only wear glasses for distance and I don't wear them unless I have to drive or go to the store or something. It just seems like it would be a lot of hassle for what is a relatively small issue in my life.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

brainwrinkle posted:

I would think the fixed costs like stabling and veterinary bills don't scale with horse size.

Although, mini horses might not live as long. Fixed costs over a shorter period.

No, miniature horses and regular size horses both live 20-30 years.

Food costs would be cheaper for sure, though.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I just use Ms. for all women regardless (pronounced "Miz"), mostly because it is easy and also I am unsure of what the proper form of address is for a married woman, such as myself, who has kept her birth name. No one has ever seemed to mind.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Agile Sumo posted:

Rappers should have more songs about saving money.. $ave Dat Money https://g.co/kgs/z3YOMA

And, of course, Thrift Shop.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Ask Reddit thread about the saddest return you ever processed while working in retail (mostly people returning baby stuff after a stillbirth)

quote:

A guy came in to a jewelry store and wanted help to find his wife something nice. Throughout the process he told me that they were having problems and he thought they were going to split up. He was lovely, but slightly weird for whatever reason. Anyhow, he bought her a diamond ring and left. Exactly two days later he returned, sad and asked if he could have a refund as she had split up with him. Turned out their problems were about how much money he was spending and so she wasn't exactly thrilled he had gone and bought her diamonds.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

H110Hawk posted:

Dedicated piano movers who hire a crane, pull a permit to block the street, and lift that sucker into your Manhattan apartment.

In Boston there's a company that does this called "Deathwish Piano Movers" that also moves all sorts of giant heavy expensive stuff. I can only imagine how much that it costs to hoist a piano out of one apartment and into another.

edit re: music expenses. My best friend from high school plays cello, and she did a study abroad program in Chile in college, and she had to purchase a second airplane ticket for her $8k cello.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Nail Rat posted:

Rent-to-own horses?

Funny you should say that...

quote:

Hey--unusual situation, but maybe you can just think of it as a car payment and it will help normalize it.
I'm one of the thousands of 'down-on-their-luck' professional equestrians in North America. This involves riding a lot of horses who are not my own: I frequently show up to venues and just get a list or some instructions before getting on a few different horses that day that I've never seen before in my life.
I recently had some pictures of me riding a very nice horse get sent around social media. It's one of the few horses that I get to handle regularly and I really, really like him. The horse's owner, who lives about two thousand miles from me, contacted me after seeing the pictures; she wanted to know if I was interested in buying the horse and continuing its career under my own program. I told her that I absolutely could not afford the price tag of a horse as nice as him but if he ever needed a home, then I was more than happy to add him to my personal show string. The upkeep isn't as big of an issue as the up-front cost when the horses get this top-of-the-line.
Well, it turns out that she is eighty-nine years old and really just wants to sell off all of her horses at this point in her life. She hasn't seen him in several years, as he had been stalled at a professional barn in my area, and she's not really jet-setting around the world at this point in her life. We agreed on a very reduced price and I'll be making payments on him for the next thirty-three months starting in 2017.
My question: I barely know this woman. We've never met; we are just friends on social media and have talked on the telephone. She is a very long-standing and reputable owner (has had horses at the top levels since the second world war was going on) and the horse's current trainer is aware of and supports the deal, so I know that this isn't a scam or anything. So, I'm going to be picking this horse up this month after sending the owner a deposit on him...but what happens if she suddenly passes away? Will I be notified? Who will I make payments to?
Edit to add: there is no provision in the contract that specifies what happens if the current owner passes, which is why I am a bit nervous.
Edit to add: I live in Kentucky. The owner lives in Iowa as of recently; I just noticed that she has a change of address. Previously she was much, much farther away.

source: https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/5hbcjk/i_make_payments_on_a_horse_the_owner_is_extremely/

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
New job, new bad with money coworkers!

So I have a coworker who moved halfway across the country and did so without most of her family's furniture, on the theory that it would be cheaper to replace than move. This would have been a good idea, had she not gone to Nebraska Furniture Mart and purchased a super nice and expensive dining room table and chairs set for Thanksgiving with a store credit card. She has been paying it off for 5 months and still owes $2500. Her husband does not know about this card.

Ok, not the worst story ever but now her son is going to college and will need student loans, so she is going to have a credit report pulled that will show all open credit cards...and her husband will discover that not only does she have this card, but that she put him down as a co-signer.

Her plan is to borrow money from her mom to pay off and close the card before the credit report gets pulled.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

NancyPants posted:

It isn't possible to just put someone down as a cosigner even if you have their SSN, unless she also forged his signature, which would be fraud.

Did she add him as an authorized user instead?

She specifically said "cosigner" but who really knows? :shrug: and as far as I could tell, the husband thinks the table was paid in full.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

theHUNGERian posted:

Edit: GWM: Befriending the campus cat, so I can always pet a cat when I go take a walk but I don't have to deal with a cat in my home.

If you volunteer at the cat shelter you can pet lots more cats than that. I probably pet 50 different cats today, including 2 fluffy kittens, and it didn't cost me a thing. On the other hand, I have had to seek medical attention twice from being at the cat shelter (once for a bite, once for Bartonella aka cat scratch fever) and that did cost me a fair bit.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

DarkHorse posted:

Just heard from my coworker that his stay-at-home wife had put down a deposit on a $2000 purebred dog, that they'd have to drive across the continent to get, that they could pick up once "they were ready" i.e. the dam hasn't even been bred yet.

GWM on the breeder's part though, getting money for dogs that don't even exist yet. I have coworker who backyard breeds German shepherds, which she charges $1000 for. She had 10 puppies and has found homes for four, so she is desperately trying to find homes for these dogs before they grow up and aren't cute puppies anymore. I can't imagine she actually makes that much money from this scheme, what with supplies and vet care and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Subjunctive posted:

(I have bipolar disorder, though it's type 2 so it has mostly manifested in a bloated Steam catalog and large charitable donations.)

I also have bipolar 2 and about 8-10 years ago I bought so many craft supplies (beads, fabric, yarn, etc) that I am STILL working through them.

Taking your meds: GWM

• Locked thread