Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Silly Hippie posted:

Living the high life

My wife and I make a combined $80k or so a year, live in rural NC and I couldn't even loving FATHOM that kind of lifestyle.

We spend too much money, but we don't do half of that. They have to be MASSIVELY in debt to live like that.

quote:

Nothing is comparable to the zuarg threads. The first one was partly sad but funny and the second one was a magic ride through a magic retards land of stupidity and failure. That and wonderhangers, black mold' and a pool table.]
I got in on the second thread, I need to re read it. That was definitely some terrible poo poo, watching someone slip further down that path with everyone screaming "STOP" at him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

paperchaseguy posted:

So he's paying child support to the mother, for an adult that the mother isn't supporting.

I've seen how hosed up child support can get. Don't overthink it, just do what the court says.

Basically my brother and his first wife broke up, he was paying child support on his kids. He was also paying all of her loving bills AND buying most of his daughter's clothing. When he tried to get that off of his child support amonunts, they told him no, those were "gifts" to the mother and he still had to pay his full child support.

For a more related story, my wife works with a couple that kind of resembles Zaurg. He's 25 ish and she's 19 and immature as gently caress. I can't stand her at all. They were talking about getting married for legal reasons (to fix their credit. Great idea, can't see that going wrong). They were just going to go to the Magistrate's office and do it there. Well, she decides she wants a reception. Invites some people, forgets the number. 50 people RSVP, she doesn't "remember" how many she invited. So now he has to host a reception. Then she decides to buy a dress. Now she wants a mock ceremony at the reception. My wife and I are making bets on when's she's going to pop a "surprise" pregnancy on him.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Kate Hate posted:

My mom is a huge fan of Rent-A-Center/Colortyme/Aaron's/all stupid rent to own bullshit stores. I try to tell her that she could just save the drat monthly payments she would make on a couch or whatever and go out and buy one, but she still keeps going back. I've never been to one of those stores before and I don't see the appeal. I guess I don't have that "but I want it NOWWWW" trait that their customers have.

Instant gratification, no credit check, pay at the store deal (Some people refuse to pay online in any form). They don't realize that they're paying huge interest rates (Badcock had something like 30% when we bought a couch from them). The whole "rent to own" deal appeals to a lot of people though.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
My friends are pretty terrible with money (Not that I can say much). It's the little things that bother me, like when they get 6k back in taxes, rather than spend it on paying off their car (like they kept saying they would) he had to build a huge deck with the money. 3 months later, the car threw a rod. So now they rolled that 6k loan onto a brand new Chevy Malibu, so they now have this huge loving upside down loan.

His wife bought a used (2006ish) Dodge Ram 1500 for his 30th birthday. He had an old beater Toyota that he owned outright. Why? "He never gets what he wants". Mind you, they've already gone bankrupt once, turning in a 2006 Nissan Altima and 2006 Nissan Frontier, both of which they bought brand new. They've had tons of quads of which they've destroyed over the years. He built a porch because he wanted it, he gets his nice 50+ inch TVs, his leather couches his game consoles (which he doesn't have time to play anymore because he's working 80 hours a week to afford this poo poo) all because he wanted it.

He's already cashed out his 401k, and I'm pretty sure he hasn't started one back up. I know they barely had any savings, they were scraping desperately to save to come to our wedding, but that was all killed off because her car hosed up.

It's sad because if he lost his job or was injured in some way, they'd be hosed. He doesn't want to take a supervisory position they're trying to shove down his throat because it won't make as much money as him working overtime. Of course they want him on salary. (His other excuse is he doesn't want the responsibility if someone gets injured).

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

froglet posted:

To be fair most people would shun a salaried job if it ends up with them working the same hours for less pay.

I have one or two friends who I've had to stop seeing as often because I find their constant financial worries really taxing. While my friends are great people and I'm definitely not saying 'I can't visit my friends because they're too poor', it's quite difficult to maintain a friendship when they can't go out anywhere that costs money because of their latest (self-inflicted) financial crisis, and they don't want to go out to anywhere free or reasonably cheap because of reasons such as 'I don't like public transport' or 'picnics are cheesy'. The thing is although I'm happy to pay for a friends movie ticket or dinner from time to time, after a while you begin to wonder if they are taking advantage of you.

It's hard having a friend tell you all about the latest console they bought the other day, only for them to turn around and say 'oh sorry I can't go out with you to the cinema/museum/whatever, hahaha I'm so broke'. Once or twice you can accept it, but when it happens more often you have to wonder whether or not they value you and spending time with you over having the latest gadget. :smith:

I kind of find my friends funny, love them to death but when we go out and they're "struggling" all they get are cheese fries and they loving smother them in ranch. It's almost a cheese fry soup. This is at places like outback and stuff. It almost makes my wife and I lose our appetites.

My friend's wife just doesn't want to get a job anymore. There's always a reason for it. It's "too far away" or "not the right hours" because she has to watch their kids. The kids are like 14, 11 and 10, and my friend works 3rd, so it's not like there's nobody home during the day.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
A friend of mine just bought a new car. A bit of history:

He's been working massive overtime for the past ~4 years.
- At one point in time the company was shutting down every other week because of lack of work
- There are rumors that the factory is going to shut down again (It's been bought out 3 times already).

He already has 2 cars.
Car #1 is a 05 Dodge Ram truck that he "wanted" about two years ago. The wife let him get it "For his birthday/christmas/father's day/Etc".
Car #2 is a 13 Chevy Malibu that is massively underwater because they had to roll a ~6k payment from an old car that threw a rod on them.
- They owed ~5k because instead of spending their tax refund check on paying off the other car, they bought the wood and built a porch (Which looks like poo poo IMO).

So they've owed money on the truck since they've owned it. They've been talking for the past year or two about how much he hates his job (70 hour workweeks will do that to you) and he wants to move to another close by town and how he can get another job working maintenance making the same amount of money.

So they do the smart thing. She pays forward on the truck, and this year's tax check actually went to pay the truck off. I guess they learned their lesson.

Until they went out and immediately spent 22.5k on a new (ALMOST BRAND NEW) Dodge Challenger. Why? He wanted one after he drove someone else's. They did not sell the truck to help bring the price down.

Then they complained about the taxes from having to bring it in from another state.

But it's okay. If the factory shuts down, he'll just go and bounce and get another job somewhere else making the same money. And get overtime too!

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

VideoTapir posted:

Did they build the porch or pay someone to do it? Because 5k would buy a lot of wood.

I'm sure they spent it on some other stupid poo poo too, the porch was the biggest visible thing they bought. Mind you, they used 2' minimum (it almost looks like 2.5') joists on the porch, and rather than alternating the lay of the 2x4's used for the flooring, they have a single seam down the middle of the porch.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Hi goons. I'm bad with money. Terrible in fact. But I'm getting better (I think).

I have nothing whatsoever to show for my 20's except a lot of stories of extramarital affairs, crazy women and other exploits. I've recently stabilized my job history. Up until a year and a half ago, the way I knew we were stable (or whatever) is that our credit cards weren't going up. That worked out well of course, now I have about 7k in CC debt. This is also how I figured how how much "extra" money we had. We now have a mortgage, 2 car payments (I actually needed my car, but got ripped off, should have bought a brand new one for $2k more). We bought a bed and bedroom furniture, gadgets out the wazoo. We also have a loan where we fixed our roof.

Yet somehow through all of this, over the past year we've brought our net worth up almost 10k (still negative), I was without a job for 6 months. We did kill our savings account though (170 left out of 4k at one point :eng99:). I'm working again, about to get benefits (which will save us around $300 a month taking me off her insurance).

We still eat out way too much, and buy too much in groceries, but we're getting better.. I think..

However the wife wants a nice DDR dance pad for her PS2 :psyduck: and a PS3 (Which I want as well to play a few exclusive games). Not gonna buy it anytime soon, but she wants one.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

tentish klown posted:

Get her a DDR dance pad instead of a months gym membership. Good with money.

She'd never use the gym membership so it would be a total waste of money, and she does enjoy DDR. Just gotta squeeze it into the budget sometime.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

tentish klown posted:

I assumed you/she already had a gym membership. Sorry :(
On the other hand, they're pretty cheap, no? Like <$20 if you don't need to get a super expensive metal one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DDR-V3-Tournament-Metal-Dance-Pad-Mat-for-PS-PS2-/370927409368

Considering at one point they were $600-900.

BossRighteous posted:

DDR dance pads are garbage and frustrating and will be rolled up and stowed away in days.

To be fair, we've destroyed about 6 of the plastic pads.

e: I'm going to try to get her Just Dance Central or some poo poo for the XBone, her major problem with it was the fact that it took pictures of her :rolleyes:

Gothmog1065 fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 4, 2015

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Nocheez posted:

Do you have a budget? A realistic one that you stick to? Save your discretionary up until you can afford your toys. That way you're not just blowing money indiscriminately,

I won't poo poo up this thread anymore after this, but we did, and everything has been blown to hell with me making poor job decisions and the baby in daycare, now we're playing catch up. I'm just about back to where I was before the poor job decisions, and may be at or better in a few weeks, going to talk to my boss about what is going to happen after I come off of contract and get properly hired.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Powerlurker posted:

Same with my wife and a new Nissan last month. We got the .9% incentive financing for a three year note, but even without that, my bank would have given me 1.75 without any problems.

:aaaaa:

Maybe I should look into one of these refinancing deals all these banks are sending me. I feel like I'm being ripped off at my credit union at 4.5% interest now.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

The Mandingo posted:

Bad with money: treating my wife like a queen, as often as I can.

He could always treat her like a welfare queen.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
I bought a 2003 GMC Sierra 2500 HD with full towing/suspension package for $2000 (in cash) last year. Good with money y/n?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

The Mandingo posted:

Is this where the humblebrags start again? Sounds like a good deal to me, unless the truck was trashed. Those were good years for GMC's.

With my mounds of other stupid poo poo I've done not quite. I know it was an amazing deal, that's why I didn't let it go, it's been a great truck. Now as for my other two car payments and other mounds of stupid debt :negative:

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

Yeah, they seem to have gotten killer deals.

Yeah, mine wasn't advertised at all. It was a fleet vehicle for a refrigeration company and they had just upgraded their trucks. My brother knew the owner and just *HAPPENED* to bring it up in conversation the day before I talked to him about wanting a truck. I just HAPPENED to have gotten a loan payout a few days prior (Bad with money). It was all luck and timing. KBB for mine in good shape is 5k last check.

Don't worry, I'm still bad with money. It's the only thing that I have that isn't severely under water.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Zool posted:

They assessed $1500 to install a stereo? What's the usual rate for a stereo install, like $150?

The car broke down, he didn't say from what, which is probably where most of the (probably incredibly inflated) repair fees came from.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
My sister might be moving to Louisiana because her boyfriend (and possible baby daddy, already tried once) got an offer in the oil industry.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Comrade Flynn posted:

I really, really want to see a $2500 vacuum now. I like to imagine it's just a portable black hole.

http://www.amazon.com/Rainbow-E2-Type-12-Complete/dp/B005R4AB1W

A used one on Amazon. I've seen Rainbow salesmen sell $3500 vacuums.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Sigh. I'm on a "budgeting kick" because we spent almost 1k in food last month, (we had been at ~500 for eating out and groceries. I know it's still too much, but it was somewhat sustainable and it kept her happy) and I gave her a hundred bucks at the beginning of the month to last her all month to eat out (to be fair, I'm down to 15 myself, but 10 of it was paying for her poo poo and 10 I used on non food).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

DuckConference posted:

Maybe think of it as less of a "budgeting kick" and more of "we're changing our spending habits so we can <financial goal>"

Those weren't my words. More of a rant than anything else.

• Locked thread