Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Eggplant Wizard posted:

A very intelligent 29 year old friend of mine, on saving for retirement: "I just don't care about it."

Maybe no fireworks, but it's going to be a big problem later on. :ohdear:

I get this from EVERYONE. I'm 26 and any of my friends/coworkers within 3 years of me in either direction say they just don't care. Or that they "should'nt do that NOW! I'm young!". OK it will be much easier when you have a house payment great job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

tiananman posted:

Unless my math is completely off, that stake would be worth north of $1 million today if you sold when I think you did.

And he'd have used it to secure $4 million in debt

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Cicero posted:

Yeah, it really depends on your situation. His primary reader demographic is white-collar professionals, for whom this is easily doable if you're willing to be moderately frugal and don't have kids (MMM has a kid now, but didn't when he and his wife were working and saving).

To be fair, his current budget (with the kid) is $27,000, which is roughly 50% of the current US median household income. That's a pretty all inclusive demographic.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Who is this MM that won't get braces for his daughter?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I simply cannot believe that for SIX MONTHS not a single person called about not having been charged for their surgeries. Did they all just hope it was going to be free?

Yes!

Our company accidentally paid for everybody's health insurance for about 5 months (we have to pay a certain portion of it through payroll deductions) and nobody said a peep about it. Then when the company noticed and announced it would need to double charge for 5 months, everyone started screaming bloody murder that they couldn't possibly afford it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Jeffrey posted:

Rig up your doorbell to turn on a sprinkler/hose facing your stoop. Tell your friends about it first.

Gonna get a lot of smashed Amazon packages.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Anecdotal, but I've noticed my medical/dental/law school friends tend to take on HUGE amounts of debt while in school. Pre-rewarding themselves for all their future hard work and even more future high income?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
"I don't want to live in a cardboard box and eat Alpo" is an excuse people make to avoid saving for retirement. That's a good way to end up living in a box eating Alpo!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Ha, my girlfriend spends $500 a month at her gym. It's a specialized gym (lots of kettle bells and deadlift mats and such) but as far as I can tell the only reason for the champagne price is that she can have as many private personal training sessions as she wants.

I think it's totally absurd but I don't say anything because I spend at LEAST the same amount on "stuff" every month.

I just realized this is a highly appropriate thread for me to be in.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Where are all these restaurants that have $10 chicken, $12 fish, and $85 steak & lobster? Just take your date somewhere that doesn't have a menu full of landmines. I'd hate to be on a date and wonder if I'm ordering the wrong thing...

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Nail Rat posted:

Lobster generally costs a lot more than chicken. So does steak.

I understood that part, I just don't understand why anyone would take a date to a restaurant with lobster on the menu if the date isn't allowed to order lobster. Is it actually rude to order the most expensive thing on the menu?
It's irrelevant anyway, as it's very easy to pick a restaurant where there is a narrow range of prices, compared to my hyperbole example of $10 chicken and $85 lobster.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
"Banks have long lines and close early".

What! Go to the bank once, get 50 in quarters. DONE.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I bet that's because 6 year loans weren't very common in 2007. Nowadays, the APR spread between a 24 month and a 62 month loan is like... 35bps.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Cicero posted:

:confused:

...that's literally exactly what the chart is showing, isn't it?

I mean, dealers were less likely to offer them. Not that fewer people chose them!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I want to buy a $500,000 house on an $80,000 salary. Is that bad with money? I feel like buying a house is always bad with money.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

silvergoose posted:

Uhhh that sounds a little ambitious, yes. What sort of down payment?

20%/$100,000. So a $400,000 mortgage would have a monthly payment of about $2,025. Which is just over 30% of the pretax income. So including taxes/insurance/utilities, it would probably hit at least 40% of my post-tax income. Aight gently caress it!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Gabriel Pope posted:

That sounds like an absurdly lenient mortgage rate but you'd still be better served taking advantage of that generous rate on something $150k or so lower.

Crunching it out on my HP12c shows a 30 year term, 4.5% loan, and $400,000 balance as $2,026.74. I figured 4.5% was a conservative estimate if anything!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Sometimes good/bad with money depends on luck. My $240,000 townhouse is worth $300,000 now (3 years later), while rents have gone up 25%. Smart of me to never not buy! :downs:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I lost $650,000 today :thumbsup:

Spoiled gently caress that I am, years ago my Dad "bought me" a $300,000 condo and had a $350,000 trust he was leaving for me. One week into his retirement, he decided he needed it all back. Oopsy!

I start paying him rent on April 1st. Family <3

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Good with money marry a girl with a rich, traditionalist father?

Even that has its risks. My sister and her boyfriend were going to have a nice, modest wedding until our dad offered to pay for it and kept urging them to "make it special". Their budget ended up around $75,000. Then today he told her he can't afford to pay for it anymore :thumbsup:

Their wedding is a week from tomorrow so there's no way to get any of their deposits back.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Plus, physical silver has its own host of risks. My dad is a history nerd and he buys a few Roman silver coins on Veneralia each year. It's coming up and he just realized he has no clue where the box is.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I inherit a $30,000 trust when I turn 35. I don't want to sound like a complainypants because I did 0 to deserve anything, but it always struck me as weird that I need to wait that long. $30,000 is a life changing event when you're in your early 20s. I could have made a down payment on a house, had business startup costs, done 2 chicks at the same time, etc.

$30,000 will be awesome at 35 too no doubt, but it's more of a "yay" and less of a "THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING".

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Mantle posted:

If I ever set up a trust for a single beneficiary it will be on a matching system based on income earned, scaling up for higher earnings. So if the beneficiary earns $20,000, I might match 20% from the trust for a total of $24,000. If they earn $40,000, I might match 40% for a total of $56,000. If they earn $120,000, then I match 120% for a total of $264,000.

This happens until the trust runs out of money.

This way the beneficiary's draw scales as a multiplier of their ability to earn a living.

"You want to be a teacher or work in the non-profit sector? gently caress you, go to business school"

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Mantle posted:

How is this a gently caress you? First of all, my mom was an elementary school teacher in Canada and retired at about $70,000 per year, with superannuated defined benefit pension. If the trust matched 70% then she would be getting $119,000 per year.

Second, I just threw out those numbers to illustrate the principles of how I would design the trust. I think the principles are still sound.

Awesome for your mom if she was inheriting her hypothetical income-based trust at retirement. Most teachers make a lot less, especially when they're young.

The principle of pinning inheritance to income is a good way to keep your heirs from being lazy shitbirds, but your structure seems like it penalizes low paying careers for no reason. What are you gaining from the escalation? Keeping your heirs from settling for a part-time barista gig?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Just make "full time employment" the requirement then. Phase in the trust based on whether they work 20, 30, 40 hours a week.
Matching their inheritance to their income makes you seem like Scrooge McGramps, fretting over whether his heirs will contribute enough to the family Gold Swimming Vault.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Pets are Bad With Money in a total beep-boop-NOT-OPTIMAL-MONEY-USE-brzzz way. Mr Money Mustache often tells people to cut their budgets by abandoning their "voluntary ownership of large non-work animals".

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
All I did at work today was play the game. gently caress

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

hanales posted:

Another.

Ok, fair enough, not everyone has great credit and he needs to buy and wants lowest interest possible. Sounds fine.

Would anyone like to do the math on 17.5% on 25K?

What's the term of the loan?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Subjunctive posted:

BWM is finally moving money from a money market account to index funds...last week. :shepspends:

Only BWM if you sell it now!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Nail Rat posted:

A house is a sound part of a retirement plan, but you can't eat a house.

...can you?

Let me consult the experts

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah if you can't follow a classic Eating Houses gag, maybe finance isn't the field for you.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I have it on p good authority that Blue Story's thread was a joke.

5% real, 5% call-for-help, 90% "LOL I TROLL U BY SLIGHTLY EXAGGERATING THE EXTENT OF MY SQUALOR"

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I'm not allowed to post in it anymore. Blue Story counter-trolled me and convinced two mods that we're the same person.

She was warned that her alt account GGGC would be banned if she used it again in the thread.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

???

Have I been hoodwinked?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Are you not allowed to swear on Reddit?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I personally think a $130,000 car with a 54% loan to value is ridiculous and I don't even drive a 10 year old Honda Civic.

It sounds like the Harvard employee (student?) can afford it as long as he/she doesn't need cash available for anything other than the car.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
If their primary bank (the bank with the best understanding of their financial picture) would only offer $50,000, and they are going to get a loan for $70,000, why is it a bold assumption that the loan payment will represent a very high percentage of their available cash flow?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Read his post history. He's a science student (posted asking for someone to solve his homework problems).

But he also has a wife who's into sous vide (rich person hobby) so the "$500,000 cash savings account and bad credit" scenario may well be more likely to be true than the "$70,000 car loan is a significant portion of his income" scenario.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Subjunctive posted:

I've never been in a lending position, but my first car loan was capped at 10% of my gross, while I had easily 20X the loan amount in liquid assets. I didn't even need the loan to buy the car, I just wanted to establish a credit history. The loan officer was very apologetic, but was limited by my credit history.

That's crazy! My credit score is in the 500s because I was sent to collections twice when I was 22, but I was able to get a $400,000 mortgage this year due to the amount I had in savings.

Did you shop around at multiple banks at all? I hear Harvard Credit Union is great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It's a credit union for Harvard employees (who typically make less than $200,000/year) and their families so they're not exactly chasing away the Kennedy's with their loan limits.

Also the Reddit poster asked for help buying his wife a gift with "a large budget (~$500?) as she is a wonderful lady and I am perenially outdone in the gift-giving department"

I maintain that anyone who thinks $500 is a large budget for their wife's birthday, they're Too Poor for a $130,000 car.

• Locked thread