Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

There was also an episode on Bourbon street, home of takeaway booze cups, where the remodel included a fancy new cup that cost $30 each. Talk about bad with money :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What's your eating plan for $3.33/day? What do you do for fun with a daily allowance of $1.67?

I guess it's possible to literally survive (legitimate bulk rice and beans territory here, with buying all your clothes at Goodwill and not doing any forms of entertainment that cost money) but eventually you'll grow sick from both malnourishment and a lack of stimulation...

You realize that there are families on a $200/mo budget for food, right? And when you're poor, $50 can be the most you can responsibly spend on fun.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Maybe I'm missing something. Wouldn't the vastly better option be to sell the truck, roll the negative equity into the cheapest truck/SUV/other 4WD or AWD vehicle he could still get a loan for, in order to cut his insurance and payments into a fraction of what they currently are? I mean, having a big luxury truck is probably a status symbol for him, but I'm talking if he wasn't going to let his pride ruin him.

Or do auto loans not work like that? I have never gotten one, I'm still driving the car my parents bought me when I started college.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, that's how it works. And then you spend it on a down payment on a new car rather than paying down higher interest rate debt or living expenses.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The biggest pain in the rear end for the FAFSA is that it requires more information from your parents than you, so it kind of makes sense to get them to do it.

Now that I'm over 24, though, I don't have to deal with that poo poo.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The 996es also had the intermediate shaft that requires you to replace the transmission (engine?) when the bearing fails, right? Sure people have made shafts that fix that problem, but that's another $10-15,000.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

blackmet posted:

Depends on the state. In Colorado, tow claims and glass chips don't affect your rate.

If you replace the windshield every year or file, like, 6 towing claims a year, though, you'll be dropped.

Whoa. Do I have to prove the glass chip or crack was while I was on the same insurance? My windshield is cracked all to hell, but I've got a new chip that will probably crack this winter too.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I dated a horse girl once. At least her grandparents had land with a stable. That didn't make the relationship any less of a mistake.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That must be why so many Californians are emigrating to the PNW and Colorado (gently caress off, we're full). They can actually afford to move.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm half joking, but prices are getting ridiculously high on houses and apartments because of the influx of people from higher income areas. My mother sold her house recently, she bought it in '91 for <100,000. She sold it in less than a week for $500,000, higher than the asking price. There were some improvements, but that's over 5x the original price in 25 years. Town has also become distinctly less friendly over the past 10 years. Except Denver, that's always been rear end in a top hat central.

We also at one point last year had less than 250 vacant rentals in a town of 150,000. It's getting harder and harder to find anywhere to live. Even in one of the cheapest places in town, with a roommate, 30% pre-tax for rent and utilities was laughable.

Living in the Front Range: BWM.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You do have to value the utility of the asset outside of its financial return, though. It provided a place for her to live for 25 years. (of course don't forget to then account for all the costs associated with owning the home either...)

Of course, the costs associated with renting a 3 bedroom apartment have the potential of being a lot higher given that lovely apartments are $1500 now, while a house in a much less convenient area would be 25-3000.

It's also not relevant to stock investment, it's relative to the housing market in other locations. What's the mean or median increase over the past 25 years?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm not sure if that was directed at me, I wasn't trying to imply it was an investment, I was just saying that an average 20% per year increase is a lot from a few minutes googling. It's an example of how quickly the cost of a house has increased, and it's pricing a lot of natives out of the market unless they move to the middle of nowhere in the mountains or to the eastern plains.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Mantle posted:

Did she actually pay less than $100k cash for the house or does that ignore her financing cost

No, they were paying off the original mortgage still, although she obviously had a whole lot left after paying it off.

I did say that I'm not talking about this as an investment, but talking about the drastic change in housing prices. While I was too young to know the housing market back then, my understanding is that this started in the early-mid '00s, when Californians started migrating into Colorado in droves. Everyone who has lived here long is amazed by how much the city has changed.

Compare the price increase to the average wage increase in CO and inflation, if you can find it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I've got multiple pairs of $300 shoes, and multiple $1500 suits as an IT janitor.

Thrift stores: GWM, BW time.

Unfortunately most of it doesn't fit now that I lost 40 pounds.

That wasn't meant as a humblebrag, sorry.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Cloks posted:

Get it tailored. Unless you lost height and shoulders, that should be reasonable.

I'm probably just going to sell them. I've got two that fit, and I have no reason to own over a half dozen suits.

I've actually got a ton of stuff to sell. I didn't realize how much crap I have that I don't use until I really started looking around.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

She might just be ashamed of the debt, but it's still really lovely. I know I'm ashamed of having <$6000 of credit card debt, nevermind $17000. Still extremely lovely to do.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It really depends. Some of them are just a bunch of different supplements, like 30 of them, all at 1/30 of the normal dosage. And since the vast majority haven't been tested, 2/3 or more probably don't do anything.

Pretty much the only known to work supplements are illegal because they are dangerous, BCAAs, protein, or caffeine.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Lol, I was actually thinking about DNP after I posted that. I took a diet and exercise class in college when I needed easy credits. One online discussion, I did a write-up on it, and everyone's reaction was pretty much :stare:. Even the teacher hadn't heard of it. I think my exact words were that if you dose yourself incorrectly, your body boils itself to death from the inside.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Enos Cabell posted:

Foxes are practically begging to be domesticated. This is the perfect time to start a therapy fox business.

The Soviets beat you to it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That's because everyone who knows anything about weightlifting knows they aren't welcome there but will probably still be stuck paying the whole contract on a membership they aren't allowed to use.

They're so infamous that a powerlifting gym did a parody commercial of a commercial Planet Fitness did which all but said weightlifters weren't allowed.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

More planet fitness, less talking about the economic benefits of poors dying.

Planet Fitness ad: https://youtu.be/q7gzmoqmL7g

Powerlifting gym ad: https://youtu.be/gXwMXp0NV1I

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It would be a goldmine if it wasn't likely they would die 2 months into their first owner not being able to feed or shelter it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

pr0zac posted:

I bought my brother a drone for Xmas despite it being something he wouldn't buy for himself and he's been flying it around for the last 45 minutes cause it's really cool and fun. Gift worth isn't based exclusively on utilitarian value. I guess ask me again in an hour once we get the thing stuck in a tree.

I've always thought the point of getting someone a gift was getting something they would like/want but can't justify buying for themselves, so unironic A+ job.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

ate all the Oreos posted:

I got my dad a little crummy cheap drone toy last year just because I had one myself and they were fun and sub-$20 and my mom and I coordinated a separate, nicer gift for him and instead he spent all his time playing with the drat drone :v:

How complicated are those to fly? My grandpa always loved those balsa wood rubber band planes. He might go wild over one of those.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Best way to avoid car payments: get obsessed with weird cars too old to get approved for a loan on.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Where do low down payment houses with USDA loans fit in here? One of my co-workers who can't be more than 25 (probably less) bought a house in a cheap rural area with a USDA loan and 1% down. I know that's ridiculously BEAM normally, but I'm not sure how USDA loans differ from normal mortgages.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

GWA(lcohol): cheap gin. $15 for a handle of something that doesn't taste like pine scented furniture polish or gasoline, $0.38 per standard drink.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That's why I said something that doesn't taste like gasoline. Gilbey's is $15, you can get other stuff I've never tried for $12.

I think prices might be a bit higher around here since liquor stores have to be small independent businesses.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is Dominion the one where you play different ideologies or something? I think I played it once.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

If she doesn't place the order she can pretend she's not paying $100 for two sandwiches, chips, and two sodas.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Gorman Thomas posted:

Hoooo boy, I can't get too specific but I found out today why film budgets are a top secret thing in Hollywood. One of my buddies is a production accountant at one of the big studios. Over lunch today he told me a director got away with billing the studio $300k for private pilates classes over a 8 month period for his wife. The auditor flagged it but for some reason it was OK'd by corporate anyway. In the end the studio took a loss on the movie.

They probably felt bad for him after his wife left him for the Pilates instructor.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yes.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

blackmet posted:

My first two suits were Joseph A Bank Buy one get ones. Ran about $330 for two with tailoring, one rushed. It got me the job!

Three years and 40 lbs. later, had to get another one. K&G, 220 bucks. Got the job again!

Gaining weight is bad with money.

If you want a cheap suit that isn't an uncomfortable polyester garbage bag, and have time to wait, J. Crew outlets have decent suits for $200 on sale (called the Thompson suit). High arm holes, 2 button with a moderate button stance, the only thing I can fault them on is the lapels being a little narrow.

Most of their sales exclude suits, but a couple times a year they go for half off ~400, down to $200. That's what I did for my wedding. 100% wool with a breathable lining. I wore it for several hours in 85 degrees, I was perfectly comfortable until I started dancing.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

:golfclap:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

drat how is this possibly an issue. When you schedule your interview you ask what the office dress code is. Done!

They'll always say "business casual," the least useful description you can provide. I've started naming options like button-up and khakis, slacks and a sport coat, or a suit. That gets a more specific response.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Powerlurker posted:

This. Everyone is "business casual" nowadays and it can mean anything from "polo and khakis" to "blazer instead of suit".

Even better, I've worked at two places that allow jeans for business casual.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Marrying someone deathly afraid of losing a wedding ring: B(est)WM. Ignoring the people who say if you don't have rings your spouse will cheat on you: GWL.

Look, I don't have much to humblebrag about, okay?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

If you're not ready to share your finances, are you really ready to get married? I feel like that amount of trust is required for a successful marriage.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

E: gently caress, two new pages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Besides, Phu Ket, let them think what they want.

• Locked thread