Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Counterpoint, my wife made several thousand dollars flipping some specific baby wearing item on Facebook. They sold new for about $200, but sold out immediately and were immediately worth at least $300. GWM for me.

The whole scene was incredibly BWM though. People expected to be able to resell their items for what they payed plus shipping and would freak out when the market would occasionally tank. Keep in mind many of these women owned many thousands of dollars worth of this poo poo.

So why was your wife spending thousands of dollars on $200 baby wraps in the first place? That seems pretty BWM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
To flip them. Gotta spend money to make money!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/4vrw0e/im_19_years_old_and_looking_at_purchasing_a_house/ posted:

I'm 19 years old and looking at purchasing a house. Is this a good idea? (self.personalfinance)

I'm 19 years old, and in 3rd year uni. Would it be a good idea for me to purchase a house? Most likely, I will not be living in it for majority of the time, but it would be used as an investment.

Real estate in my town is consistently going up, and if I rent out rooms, I would be able to cover the mortgage, taxes and monthly fees, no problem (and with extra).

Here's how my current finances look like.

Assets

Income: $4k net/month

Bank account: $30k

Expenses

Debt: $0

Rent, utilities, Internet: $475/month

Food: $100/month

Phone : $25/month

Entertainment/clothes/other : $50/month

However I only have income for 4 months of the year, since I do not work during the school year. I don't want to quit school for my current job.

I understand if I were to purchase a house, I would have many more responsibilities, but it would be an investment property, and would give me some income if I rent it out.

Also, I know I shouldn't expect it, but if I were to make this decision, my parents would give me $10-20k to help with a down payment.

Is this a good idea? And what price range of a house should I be looking at?
Buying an investment property when you make $12k a year: What could go wrong?

Oh wait, there's no way they could get a loan like that. Crisis averted, and they might even realize they can't afford a house anytime s-

quote:

Thanks!! Very helpful. I hadn't even really considered the loan aspect. However I could ask my parents to sign for the mortgage or something I guess.
:eng99:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Hahaha, what a bullshit budget. $100/month food, $50 for basically "everything else"?

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Hahaha, what a bullshit budget. $100/month food, $50 for basically "everything else"?

"I wrote down categories, I has a budget."

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
It's possible to live on a budget like that. However the only person I knew who was at uni and had investments was investing in the stock market. Why does he want a house anyway? I looks like he's just worried about missing out on capital gains.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Devian666 posted:

It's possible to live on a budget like that.

What's your eating plan for $3.33/day? What do you do for fun with a daily allowance of $1.67?

I guess it's possible to literally survive (legitimate bulk rice and beans territory here, with buying all your clothes at Goodwill and not doing any forms of entertainment that cost money) but eventually you'll grow sick from both malnourishment and a lack of stimulation...

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What's your eating plan for $3.33/day? What do you do for fun with a daily allowance of $1.67?

I guess it's possible to literally survive (legitimate bulk rice and beans territory here, with buying all your clothes at Goodwill and not doing any forms of entertainment that cost money) but eventually you'll grow sick from both malnourishment and a lack of stimulation...

When you are a student you suffer and only just get by. While I was studying I couldn't afford luxuries like going to the movies or eating out. All games were pirated and money was borrowed to even have a computer. When you are in the lowest 3% of income for the country you make do with what money you have.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I got to use "like buying $3000 a month in limited edition Snape-themed baby wraps but can't figure out why they're broke all the time" in conversation to describe someone who actively works against their own best interests today, so thank you dudes for that.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

lol

https://twitter.com/JDiamond1/status/761015802459856896

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You realize that there are families on a $200/mo budget for food, right? And when you're poor, $50 can be the most you can responsibly spend on fun.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Weatherman posted:

So why was your wife spending thousands of dollars on $200 baby wraps in the first place? That seems pretty BWM.

I was a little upset when she ordered the first one (for personal use) because of the price, but it was fairly nice, very comfortable, and handmade in the US. When she sold it for $450 a few months later all was forgiven. She has a spreadsheet somewhere and I believe when she finally stopped she had made $2000 in profit and only ended up keeping one or two for her use so it was a pretty GWM little hobby.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

22 Eargesplitten posted:

You realize that there are families on a $200/mo budget for food, right? And when you're poor, $50 can be the most you can responsibly spend on fun.

I think 200 for 2 is possible, and 100 for 1 is not. Like I said before, I don't think 100 bucks a month will lead you to starve to death, but I don't think it works long term.

And it's 50 bucks for all expenses, not just dickin' around money. 50 bucks for clothes, toothpaste, bus pass, new tube for your bike, etc.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

When you think about it like $25/wk instead of $100/mo it seems a little less impossible.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

When you think about it like $25/wk instead of $100/mo it seems a little less impossible.

Counting $100/mo as $25/wk means that you're at $0 for an additional 29 days per year.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It's the UK, but if it's like the US the person could have a meal plan as a part of loans / enrollment. I spent a very small amount of money in college because everything was a hidden cost on my loans.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

lol rice and beans plus cheap veggies and oil is like $50/month for one person, $100 gets you meat and sweets once a week at least

congrats on not having any first-hand experience with poverty

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I think 200 for 2 is possible, and 100 for 1 is not. Like I said before, I don't think 100 bucks a month will lead you to starve to death, but I don't think it works long term.

Well you'd be wrong.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Buying nutritious food to live: BWM

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I live on a supply of Jetsons pills.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I'm genuinely surprised to hear that people can get all the nutrition they need on $100 a month. That's $86 less than the USDA opinion of the bare minimum for an adult male to receive their baseline nutrition.

I've never had to spend that little for an extended period, so I will defer to your experience and apologize to those of you who did it and had to hear me say it can't be done.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I'm genuinely surprised to hear that people can get all the nutrition they need on $100 a month. That's $86 less than the USDA opinion of the bare minimum for an adult male to receive their baseline nutrition.

I've never had to spend that little for an extended period, so I will defer to your experience and apologize to those of you who did it and had to hear me say it can't be done.

You are probably gonna get a bunch of vitamin deficiencies but raw calories are pretty abundant in cheap form, like garbage ramen noodles cost 18 cents per pack if you buy them in bulk, assuming you eat three meals of them a day (:barf:) that's only ~$16 a month, leaving enough left over to buy some vitamin supplements and/or pay for treatment of your crippling rickets and scurvy

e: Also heart disease, if you're a girl:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24966409 posted:

The consumption of instant noodles was associated with increased prevalence of metabolic syndrome in women, independent of major dietary patterns.

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 4, 2016

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
You can get all the nutrients you need from potatoes and some dairy. You may have some interesting looking shits, but scurvy you won't.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I subsist on a thin stew made of fish, vegetables, prawns, coconut milk, and four kinds of rice. I came close to madness trying to find it here in the States, but they just can't get the spices right.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Moneyball posted:

I subsist on a thin stew made of fish, vegetables, prawns, coconut milk, and four kinds of rice. I came close to madness trying to find it here in the States, but they just can't get the spices right.

SKINNERRRRR!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Not shown:

Parents already pay for a meal plan

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Oh hey new page

Whoops

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Well, let's take it back to the original context. I think we can all agree that you shouldn't buy a house if you can only afford $100/month in food.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Well, let's take it back to the original context. I think we can all agree that you shouldn't buy a house if you can only afford $100/month in food.

Or, you know, only make $12k a year.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012
Buying a house in college isnt the worst thing if youre going to be living in it + renting rooms. Dorms charge like 8-12 thousand a year to live in a glorified prison cell.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

JohnGalt posted:

Buying a house in college isnt the worst thing if youre going to be living in it + renting rooms. Dorms charge like 8-12 thousand a year to live in a glorified prison cell.
It's terrible if you have no understanding of tenant law, don't have good responsible tenants lined up that aren't going to take advantage of you ("friends"), are unwilling, unable, or don't have time or money to do maintenance, or can't afford the property if you don't have rent coming in. Then there's selling the property when they graduate or how to take care of it if they find a job in another city.
It's just a bad idea all around for 99% of college students.

I'm sure there are a ton of people that do it successfully, but they are literally gambling with their future financial stability with a huge financial, legal, and time/effort liability by buying a house. Renting out property is a pain in the rear end.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

JohnGalt posted:

During the go-go housing boom parents would buy condos in a huge new development near one of the city schools with the aim to sell them after 4 years for a hefty profit. It's conceivable the Class of 2006 managed to pull that off before everything went to poo poo.

It's not a terrible idea, but it can go sideways quick. Like if your kid flunks out after one year and you're stuck with a property in another city that you have to sell quick or somehow maintain.

Edit: adding that depending on the area it's probably a better idea just to rent a house. Because buying a condo as an investment opportunity is a great idea, said no one who owns a condo they bought as an investment opportunity.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 4, 2016

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
At first I was like "how the gently caress does a 19 year old kid make ~50K without finishing college in an area they might actually be able to buy a house?!?!?!" and then I got to the "but I only work four months out of the year." What sort of job would that be? Highend landscaping? Construction? Oil rig/sands?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Buying a house in college is a horrible idea and anyone who says otherwise is forgetting how irresponsible they were at that age.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

At first I was like "how the gently caress does a 19 year old kid make ~50K without finishing college in an area they might actually be able to buy a house?!?!?!" and then I got to the "but I only work four months out of the year." What sort of job would that be? Highend landscaping? Construction? Oil rig/sands?

Works for a company owned by Mom/Dad getting overpaid seems most likely.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
That's likely, I suppose. My perspectives are all skewed because I grew up in and work in the Bay Area, but I read here often and browse reddit's PF sometimes and see people in their 30s with families living off 35-45k and was wondering what the hell this kid did. Presumably, the OP lives in the midwest or some place if they even think there's a possibility of buying a house.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Plus, won't this tie him to the area? It's probably a lot more difficult to manage a rental property if you don't live nearby, and a single bad tenant could tank his already sketchy financial plan. Hope he can find a job nearby when he graduates!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
He plans on staying in his hometown the rest of his life. I wouldn't be surprised if he changes his mind in a few years and is super-thankful he doesn't have a house tying him down. Or is forced to change his mind if he can't find a job.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

That's likely, I suppose. My perspectives are all skewed because I grew up in and work in the Bay Area, but I read here often and browse reddit's PF sometimes and see people in their 30s with families living off 35-45k and was wondering what the hell this kid did. Presumably, the OP lives in the midwest or some place if they even think there's a possibility of buying a house.
He lives in the UK, apparently. I'm not sure what home prices are like there, but I'd be shocked if he could afford one.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Krispy Kareem posted:

During the go-go housing boom parents would buy condos in a huge new development near one of the city schools with the aim to sell them after 4 years for a hefty profit. It's conceivable the Class of 2006 managed to pull that off before everything went to poo poo.

Yeah, I know a dude who lived in one of those in college.
His parents bought a house near campus as his oldest sibling neared college age, and between 3 kids the house was pretty much continuously occupied for 10 years by one of the kids plus 2-4 roommates, all paying rent. I think the parents worked in something connected to real estate, and did pretty well with it.

That differs from the bad with money arrangement because:
1. Parents who could afford it were buying the house
2. They were buying it in a city they lived and worked in, and had above average knowledge of the local real estate market.
3. They planned on holding it for 10 years.
4. It wasn't a condo.

I knew this other dude too:

canyoneer posted:

I know a dude who bought a new house built in 2006. He was 22 or something and had some inherited money. "Why, instead of renting, I'll get my friends to rent rooms out of my house. Free rent and building equity!" He bought a 4500 sqft 4 bedroom. The internet tells me that he probably paid $290k or so for it.

It was in a city with a university, but about 30 minutes drive from the university. So, a really poor location for the demographic he wanted to rent to. The only people he could rent to were his friends who were working McJobs and still "figuring stuff out". It was a battle for him every single month to get people to pay the rent. It was also difficult to keep the house full of paying renters.

The same floorplan houses in his neighborhood are selling for $200k or so these days. He bought new construction wayyyyy out in the suburbs as an investment that depended on his loser friends paying rent to him, and probably took a $90k bath on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

canyoneer posted:

Yeah, I know a dude who lived in one of those in college.
His parents bought a house near campus as his oldest sibling neared college age, and between 3 kids the house was pretty much continuously occupied for 10 years by one of the kids plus 2-4 roommates, all paying rent. I think the parents worked in something connected to real estate, and did pretty well with it.

That differs from the bad with money arrangement because:
1. Parents who could afford it were buying the house
2. They were buying it in a city they lived and worked in, and had above average knowledge of the local real estate market.
3. They planned on holding it for 10 years.
4. It wasn't a condo.

I knew this other dude too:

All the kids were forced to go to the same college?

• Locked thread