Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Doing 20 years in the military

Ahaha, gently caress that. I'm out this Friday after 6 years. You can certainly be GWM in the lower ranks but most of my coworkers are flat broke from terrible life choices or spending literally every dollar they have every paycheck on stupid poo poo.

My favorite one was the guy who hosed himself over on cars. Shows up with a Hyundai Accent hatchback. Wanted a better car to pick up chicks with so he trades it in for a red mustang. Gets caught speeding and pays a fine, whatever. Goes to the dealership again for some reason and sees another mustang, but this one was a GT. Calls his insurance and asks them how much he'd be paying on insurance and they tell him it would be cheaper to take the V8. Trades in the V6 at a loss and gets the V8. This lasts about three weeks before he gets a call from his insurance letting him know that his rates are going up because he's driving a faster car and already has a speeding ticket. He trades that one in for another huge loss and gets a Sentra or something. Gets deployed and comes back then goes car shopping again. We think maybe he'll be sensible this time, instead he buys an F350 with 100000 miles already on the engine. That lasts a couple months before he sells it and gets a Dodge Dart. We think he was still paying off the mustangs when he left for Korea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

BloodBag posted:

How Bad With Money is joining the Air Force reserves when it looks like the company you're working for is starting to go down the shitter? How soon after going to basic do you start getting paid?
Probably pretty bad since you're most likely taking a pay cut. Everyone in the military gets paid on the 15th and 1st of every month so whenever you hit one of those days in basic is when you'd get paid.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

Living in Los Angeles is BWM. I should move to Minnesota and live like a king but on land like a normal person.

Hell yeah! I'm moving to Minnesota next week. However I'm not looking at boats because I'd rather live in a house with a garage.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Mojo Threepwood posted:

Yeah, one of my friends used to work at an all season resort in Donnelly, Idaho, and I can't imagine what work a cubicle dweller in their early 30s could find in that small town to enable them to enjoy the resort whenever they pleased. My friend was working there in the summer building trails while finishing an accounting degree, and his accounts of illiterate coworkers and getting his foot crushed by a boulder make it seem like a young man's game.

Sidenote: this was at Tamarack Resort, for a legendary bad with money experience get a loan for $250 million and build a luxury resort right before the 2008 crisis.

We did a ski/snowboard trip every year to Tamarack and the half finished resort never so much as moved the entire time I lived in Idaho. Just a giant concrete abomination next to the small part that was finished.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Zamujasa posted:

We interrupt this derail for a short BWM story:

Roommate: My car needs $460 in repairs.
Me: :(
Roommate: Can you cover it for me? If I pay for it I will have less than $200 in the bank.
Me: :sigh:

I can trust it will be paid back within a month (he has steady income and is contributing towards rent), but I'm not a goddamn bank.

I too suffer from BWM roommate.

Roommate: Dude I'm negative $700 right now.
Me: Guess you're not paying rent then
Roommate: I have to pay off this guitar first, then I'll be good
Me: Dude...

• Locked thread