Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Coworker Sam cashes the bi-monthly paycheck. Everyone else is set up direct deposit - and I wasn't even given the option to have a live check - but this individual cashes it every single time. Automatic no savings per month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

A relative gave Fanbox her debit card number.

I had never heard of Fanbox before. I Googled it and didn't even have to click to link to see it was scam.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Folly posted:

:catstare:
I laughed way too much at that typo.

That's the game as I understand rent to own. They don't actually expect anybody to finish making the payments without screwing up once, at which point they go repo the furniture and do it again. They can sell the same piece of inventory over and over that way. And if the poo poo is too worthless to repossess, they'd rather destroy it than let you keep it, because they know you'll be back. It's the predecessor to payday lending, back before they discovered they could run the same scam without having to have inventory, and that garnishment laws were easier to manage than repossession.

I'm not sure how you'd self-help repossess a phone, though. Physical confrontation seems impossible to avoid.

I was introduced to SA through the Goldmine entry, Stories from Rent-to-Own.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

Just saw this one, immediately came here.

"You know you want a new truck."

This comes just days after I returned the truck I had to borrow while waiting on insurance to handle repairs to my car. Yep, what I really want is another vehicle that gets 20 mpg, is difficult to park and would mostly be used for city driving.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

RussianBear posted:

Bad with money trainwreck. What's worse with money: getting deeply into debt, giving away the free money, keeping the free money, or greenlighting this show?

http://www.vox.com/2015/5/28/8676579/the-briefcase-review-cbs

Not the first time the basic concept has existed.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Senf posted:

A friend of mine just sold a piece of jewelry on eBay and the buyer that won sent her a message that said, "Can I send you the money on Thursday? My account is currently overdrawn."

It sold for $40.

I once listened to a former coworker call a relative to beg for $35 to buy a particular T-shirt online. She did not have that much money in a bank account.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Scanning through television listings, I just found a series called My Lottery Dream Home. It's airing on GAC (Great American Country?). This may have potential.

In the first three minutes, a horse barn has been mentioned. Something about training German Shepherds too.

Another episode description mentions a boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Krispy Kareem posted:

Rent-to-own customers are very price insensitive. They'll overpay even for used items. So Aaron's can rent a $700 TV for one year, pocket $900, repo it, and then lease it out again for the same price.

Do they sell mattresses? Because that sounds horrible.

That reminds me of the SA classic, Stories from Rent-to-Own.

• Locked thread