Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I've got a cousin who is terrible with money.

To give you some background, he has probably the most severe case of ADD you could imagine. He's probably tried every medication on the market, they help but they don't really control the problem. He has poor judgment and impulse control, and practices exactly zero moderation when it comes to food, drinking, and spending. He's been dropping in and out of school (private, then community, and now a state school) for the past 5 years due to his inability to stick to his studies. During that time he has:
-Had multiple pregnancy scares with his unmedicated bipolar girlfriend (they broke up, thank god)
-Had his shady friends install used brake pads on his (well, actually his parent's) car to replace failing ones. After those parts didn't work, his parents ended up footing the bill for a new set.
-Gotten fired from his job at a restaurant for being absent from work 3 times. In a month and a half.
-Called me at about 11:30 at night asking me to drive to where he was to lend him some gas money. He had driven to a house party about 60 miles from where he lived on a near-empty tank, with no plan for getting back.
-Begged and borrowed money, booze, food and transportation off of literally everyone he knows who will let him. Never pays anyone back.
-Gotten involved with Cutco, despite multiple warnings from friends and family that it was a scam.

Now that you have an idea of his character, I guess have a couple stories. Right now, he works part-time at a ski shop. Since Spring is coming up, they're due to close at the end of the season. His plan is to pour all the money he made this winter into a new snowboard and longboarding gear. He has no other job lined up for when the shop closes. Well, I guess that's a half-truth. I heard through the grapevine that he's driving around a small-time pot dealer around his old college campus, helping him sell. He's being paid in weed.

He still lives with his parents at 24. My poor aunt and uncle have poured tens of thousands of dollars into his wasted education and useless hobbies, with no end in reasonable sight. Not looking forward to the night he gets busted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Nocheez posted:

Please tell me you told him to gently caress off.

This sounds like an episode of "Enablers". Well, most people call the show by it's given name of "Intervention," but I think the show is created by the Enablers in most cases.

I was in bed with my girlfriend when he called; after finding out that no, he did not actually have a real emergency going on, I politely told him in so many words to call someone who has extra fucks to give. I love him, we've been friends literally since birth (10 days apart), but good God is he terrible with impulse control.

His parents are definitely enablers. Their two older sons are both successful engineers, so I guess they feel they need to give the weaker link in the family all the support they can. He really does have some screws loose up there, so I kind of feel bad describing him this way, but he's not making any efforts to help himself out of the pit he's dug, despite the fact that he's surrounded by generally good influences. I guess when you have a good network of family to pick up your slack, there's no real motivation for some people to get ahead on their own.

Not a Children fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 4, 2014

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Ugh. Talking about how free energy devices have been confiscated by the government for national security reasons, too.

Taking money from rubes that don't know better. Despicable.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Zo posted:

Pizza is disgusting and anyone who spends money on pizza is solidly in the "bad with money" category IMO.

:siren: Goon honeypot post right here. :siren:

That said, I do know a guy at work who orders pizza for lunch 3 times a week. Probably spends around $150 on it every month. He seems to be in shape, though, so I guess at least it's not affecting his health so much. :shrug:

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Not necessarily. She might still be young and naive enough to get him back on track, trust him again, and let him destroy both of their finances once they're good n' married.

Good read, but she did leave out a lot of the juicy deets, like what he was spending over $1k a week of takehome pay on. Christ, if I made that much I wouldn't even know what to do with it all.

edit: Read the second thread, half of the responses are lambasting her for going to her mom and having him kicked out. Reddit is a weird fuckin' place

Not a Children fucked around with this message at 14:33 on May 9, 2014

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Nail Rat posted:

On reddit? Because I don't see that here. All anyone said was it'd be easy to knock that debt out very fast with a budget - which is of course the big caveat.

I think he was responding to my last post:

Not a Children posted:

Good read, but she did leave out a lot of the juicy deets, like what he was spending over $1k a week of takehome pay on. Christ, if I made that much I wouldn't even know what to do with it all.

Of course I actually can come up with ways to spend $1k a week, but it'd take some serious mental gymnastics to actually follow through on it.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Ugh. I bought a new Camry fresh out of college (2012), and after reading all this I'm feeling like a financial idiot. I figure I'll drive it into the ground and just get a beater when it dies in a decade or so...

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

For the love of God, set up your own thread and stop making GBS threads up this one.

For content: My cousin (posted about earlier in this thread) recently got a job as a part-time line cook. Good, right? Too bad all the money is going to dice and D&D figurines.

On a positive note, I recently found out that his 6 years of on-again-off-again tuition has at least been close to free, thanks to his mother being a pharmacist for the state school system. :gbsmith:

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

$8k in his 401k is just so hilariously low for someone his age that I just assumed it was a typo

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

If that actually ends up successful I'm quitting my day job and starting a food truck courier service -- one that delivers food from food trucks to offices/dorms/whatever. I estimate that it entails approximately the same amount of laziness

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Effexxor posted:

Consider this. Having 500k in student loan debt and still not having a medical degree after 16 years. I still shudder at the very idea of trying to pay that off. $80 of interest accruing a day. Ugh.

This seems like the point where "fleeing the country" becomes a realistic option.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

If you want to know approximately how long a copyright lasts, just look at the age of Mickey Mouse. Disney ain't letting that golden goose free.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Nail Rat posted:

This is objectively wrong. Especially because moving companies are much less trustworthy than friends. They often don't give a gently caress if they break something and have all kinds of poo poo in the contract to absolve themselves of anything. Which might be fine if you weren't paying 500-2000 for their services.

Facts. My ex recently used one to move all her stuff from Maryland to Texas. Well, unfortunately, she didn't do much research. They told her that it would be there by the time she arrived, in 5 days. Now they're saying it won't be there for another 3 weeks, leaving her with no clothes, no furniture, and no kitchenware until they get there. I'm sure they're also going to tack on some fees when they do get there (storage, unloading, whatever BS) and strong arm her into signing it just to be done with it. The worst part? Federal law (the Carmack amendment) protects movers who do stuff like this from lawsuits; they're only liable for actual damage to the property. The most she could hope for is to sue for anything not included in the original agreed upon price, which would probably not be worthwhile in the first place. So yeah, there's a lot to be said for recruiting some buddies to throw stuff in a U-haul rather than hiring a moving company.

That said, good movers are worth their weight in gold. I've used the same guys for my last 3 moves. It's always come under $500 (moving about an hour away each time) and it's nice to just know I'll be done with it without issue and in under 2 hours.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

This is relevant to this thread's interest:

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Articles/2010/12/07/Down-and-Out-on-250000-a-Year

Just... I don't know where to start.

Ahahahaha, their assumptions are straight up hosed. In their calculations they stipulate over $1100 per month on food in addition to $5000 for lunches at work over the year. They assume that both adults in the family are getting a $10 lunch, every. Single. Day. This, in addition to $3000/year for family/holiday gifts, $2400 per year in eating out (which might be reasonable, if it wasn't in addition to a previously stipulated $25/week for takeout), a $700 monthly utility bill, and a $2000 monthly mortgage. Well no loving wonder they're 2 grand in the red at the end of the year.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

pathetic little tramp posted:

Guaranteed they will hold her stuff as a ransom when they get there - if you're moving into an apartment complex, they'll block the entry to the complex to force your hand. It's unfortunately a common practice.

Also, they like to hire homeless people off the street to do the actual moving. When it happened to me, I said let me go in and get my chequebook, came back out with a fake cheque from an old account all filled out. They would call me about 20 times a day trying to harangue me about my bounced cheque, so I got Mr. Number and blocked them. What are a bunch of shady dudes halfway across the country going to do? Sue me? The company declared bankruptcy about a month later and reformed as a new company (a common practice when these moving companies get sued in small claims), that then went bankrupt about 2 months later and reformed as yet another company.

All in all, I got my poo poo, learned about Mr. Number, and pissed some rear end in a top hat off - a good month!

Ugh, what a loving racket. The thing that really upsets me is that my ex is a total pushover when it comes to things like that, so I can already see them gouging her when the time comes. Maybe I can coach her up to calling the police if they try to pull any of that bullshit.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Renegret posted:

http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2bh183/i_need_advice_asap/

"I have no job but I live at home and my family gives me free money ($550/month) yet somehow I'm still in debt."

What the gently caress my parents never gave me more than $5/week of spending money when I was a kid, if I was lucky. It's not that they didn't love me or take care of me, they just told me I had to learn how to not squander my Christmas/Birthday gift money on my wants, and they paid for anything I needed.

My parents at a young age taught me how to plan ahead with my own money and it's the single most important financial lesson they taught me.

Ahahaha later on he talks about why he's not working, he doesn't know "if i should take a guaranteed job and risk losing it, or look for job's elsewhere and risk not getting hired." His excuse for not working is literally that he might not get/keep a job.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

My impression is that the money came in bits and pieces, like the guy hitting them up for food/rent/fun money and promising to pay it back.

I can't fathom why someone would sink multiple thousands of dollars into someone like that unless there was something shady going on. Maybe this dude was their drug dealer or something.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

A quick hit to keep us from any sort of bootstraps debate:

http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2bpdsl/unable_to_refinance_a_car_with_a_huge_monthly/

I got screwed on my car and loan, reddit please help me get a worse loan :v:

"I didn't have options and it was a nice car." Get a less nice car, dummy!

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

The best is when they ask for a "friend" and describe in oddly specific detail the "friend's" situation.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Paiz posted:

I really don't care about the money for the computer but drat how could she go from inheriting over a million dollars to having to pay off 350 bucks in monthly installments?! She should have been set for life! It makes me worry about her future but I don't want to seem pushy about trying to look into her finances.

The likely answer is that she's probably not as well off as she appears to be, even at this point. It might be worth offering to help her, but don't be surprised if you get rebuked for it.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

If anyone could've convinced me before that bad financials aren't a big deal when considering a significant other, this just obliterated that chance

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

I had a similar situation. Thankfully, our lease held us separately liable, so all our landlady could do was go after the one girl. I didn't even know until the day before I moved out.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

While I was househunting over the past few months, I met about 5 people (out of about 20 spaces visited total) that were either renting out space in their houses or forced to rent themselves because they bought a house with their bf/gf and the relationship fell apart.

So, uh, don't do that until you're 100% in it for the long haul, is what I've learned.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

The tech hordes descended on Oakland three years ago, it's now BARELY cheaper than SF.

Every person (grand total of 4) that has been to Oakland has been burgled or mugged. At least the techies are constantly getting robbed? That's bad with money, right?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

To be fair, they made all the "right" decisions, in terms of the long run. They got lucky with property appreciation and stand to see a whopper of a profit if they can pull the house sale off. They definitely leveraged themselves way too much, though. If their house had in fact depreciated, they'd probably be in full blown crisis mode right now. Not that $200k+ debt is anything to keep calm about about...

Definitely agreeing that they've got an overly rosy view of things. Probably how they got into this situation in the first place.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

pathetic little tramp posted:

Yeah I was doing the math on how much I'd need to put into a savings account with 1% interest to get 1,000 a month, it's a little over a million. Back in the 60s, that was an entirely different ballgame.

That $1 mil was worth 6-8 times what it is now, depending on the part of the decade. Now you'd have to be worth at least $6.5 million to have that kind of buying power.

Inflation is terrifying to think about sometimes, is what I'm saying

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Velochis posted:

Bad with money: getting a generous offer from parents to buy a perfectly maintained, older, honda for way under market value at 0% interest (100/ month till paid off). Taking the deal/car. Never pay parents (claiming financial hardahip). Use the honda as a trade in for a brand new car valued over 20,000 financed at 13% apr.

If my kid did this I'd write the sale value of the new car out of his share of the will

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Nail Rat posted:

Suicide and fleeing the country seem like her only options. God drat. Art schools should be illegal. I wonder how many kids who go to them to "follow their dreams" will be working poo poo jobs until they die.

I live/work right next to one of the most prestigious art schools in the US. Tuition alone is $43k/year, in one of the cheaper cities on the east coast. A lot of people that go there are either the progeny of plutocrats, or naive kids, as you say, "following their dreams." A lot of the bars and restaurants in the area are staffed by grads. It's a little sad to see.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Came super close to going to RPI when I went off to college in 2008. By then the rumors that everything had taken a big ole downturn were going strong, so I just went to my state university instead, saved myself around 150k plus scholarships.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

legsarerequired posted:

Well, apparently they cost half as much as I thought they did, but he still paid a three-digit number. AND he just showed me a new kilt he bought, along with a Captain America shield, and he informed me that a Captain America hoodie will be arriving for him in the mail soon.

Yep, he ate four of them within a few days of picking them up. And he's picking up six more pans' worth tonight.

He claims that buying edibles instead of weed will help him quit smoking cigarettes, thus saving him money in the long-term. Multiple people have had this discussion with him about his spending several times.

In general, I feel like he tends to dive headfirst into different trends. A few years ago, he was hardcore pagan. Now he's hardcore atheist. He was going to put a pool in our backyard of our apartment that we're renting, but now he's changed his mind because he's going to buy a townhome. Actually, he's going to buy a ton of memorabilia and DVDs instead. He was drinking tons of liquor as soon as he woke up, then he was inhaling tons of whippits, now it's weed edibles. I've talked to him about this, because sometimes he has done things that aren't worth the risk.

For example, we both have prescriptions for the same brand of anxiety medication, so I've looked up information on interactions between my medicine and recreational drugs. When I tried to discourage him from using a certain substance that is widely agreed to be fatal when mixed with his medicine, his only response was "Doctors are always over-cautious" or "I'll just skip my medication that day."

At least I don't have to step over those empty canisters anymore...

EDIT: If I am allowed to name specific prices for his items, I can do so. TCC doesn't allow any discussion of prices and weed is illegal in my state, so I didn't name any here.

I guess my big question is why do you continue to live with a 36 year old manic loser dipshit who'll probably blow all the rent money on drugs and toys?

Edit: My bad, I thought you owned the house in question. Not your problem!

Not a Children fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 15, 2014

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

True, if you're paying it off every month. I dunno if you've got low limit cards or what, but it is pretty bad for your credit score.

If you're maxing out your card and paying it off every month, chances are you qualify for a higher limit/better rewards card that you should use instead.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

TLG James posted:

He never said why he had that much of a loan, just that is was debt. I wasthinking wedding expenses since his wife is also eating 1k a month of organic food, but his post history says he was married in front of a judge.

Wow, and he's about to go down to a 1 income family. He also claims to have a finance degree.

His post history is full of of a mixture of sadness and comedy gold though. Just 12 days ago he said he was 600 days alcohol free, but he was spending 1k a month on booze, but he also says he can manage his finances now.

He's being super vague on what that 1k in food is on. I'm betting a big chunk of it is the alcohol problem he's hiding

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Thinking about this dude's thought process just makes me extremely sad

I've never met anyone who blew through money like that, and if I did I'd probably be doing everything I could to talk them out of it. He doesn't sound particularly worth it though...

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Then let his best bud drive and total it lol

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Folly posted:

I can't easily guess his age because he's got that slightly pudgy build common in IT (makes you look older) and he got that laser hair removal on his beard (makes you look younger). Oh, except for his mustache, he kept the mustache.

Wait, laser beard removal is a thing? Did he just get sick of shaving, or what?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

It came from Reddit:

quote:

I'm just a bit lost in life in general, but I'm hoping you all can right me towards a better financial situation for the future.
I've been going to college for the past 5 years, changing majors four times, never obtaining a degree. I have ~120 credits and roughly 275k student debt to show for it. My loan deferment ends in about 3 months, and I'm concerned about how that will affect my situation.
EDIT: I should clarify, that is about 30k in federal loans in my name, and the rest in the Parent PLUS loans under my parents name.
I make about 1200/mo cleared as a bike mechanic, working 30-35 hr/wk. I have two credit cards; one from Citi at 11.99% with a ~$1500 balance, and one from Chase at 15.99% with a ~3k balance.
I also have typical bills which sum to ~260/mo (utilities, phone, internet).
I'm sick of using my money irresponsibly. What should my plan of action be here?
EDIT: Thank you for your replies. As another option, could I not just transfer to a relatively inexpensive state college and finish my degree? My loan payments would be deferred until I finish, no?

Apparently Drexel costs over $80k a year now? Dude can't even flee the country because his parents are on the hook for his loans. Lots of people suggesting he go work on an oil rig for a few years...

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

District Selectman posted:

My parents are idiots with money, so I've always tried to figure out how I became good with money. I had to actively ignore a lot of their advice. The best I can figure are two things:

1: I moved off campus as a college sophomore and started paying rent, utilities, food, gas, and all that jazz at 18. I worked very part time, so most of my money came from scholarships/loans, but I still saw the money come in and go out, and so I developed a rudimentary feel for the cost of things. I saw that my pittance of part time money paid for basically nothing. I learned how to do things cheaper. When you make $200 a month, spending $20 to eat out seems insane. Rotate ISP promos, cook my own food, shop for deals, and so on.

2: When I graduated and actually started working for real, I saw that while I made "good" money, after taxes, rent, bills (now including health care!), and any amount of retirement savings, there was very little left. I didn't really make $50k. After literally the cost of living, I was lucky to save $5k a year in retirement and $10k in cash, and that was living frugally. For better or worse, I also work with a lot of older people - my average coworker is about 50 - and I saw that most of them were still living basically check to check - while making double what I made. After about 1 whole year of work, which felt like an eternity, I realized how much work I'd put in for a whopping $10k in the bank, all while still owing $20k in student loans, and saw how long I'd have to be doing it - 30 years? 40 years? - and realized I had to find a better way.

I can't imagine the existential dread I would have if I wasn't stacking money like crazy, and spending it on cars and adult toy bullshit instead. To not see a light at the end of the tunnel...I don't even want to think about it. I wouldn't feel like I had freedom.

This is the situation that quite a few people find themselves in. Just imagine if you'd used your newfound freedom to finance a car and take a nice vacation? After you see that income balance poof out, that debt still there and growing, and the continual stream of neat stuff all your other newlygrad friends are doing and buying on facebook or whatever, it's pretty easy just say "gently caress it," pay the minimums on debt, and dig that hole deeper. Repeat until the reality of aging sets in, then panic when you realize there's nothing keeping you from having to live off dog food if you lose your job. It seems that point usually rolls around at age 50 for most people; just think of it as having a 25 year head start.

Edit: To chime in on the renting vs buying conversation, freedom is a pretty big element there, too. Buying ties you to a location, renting does not; one of the big barriers to me buying a house is simply that I don't know if I want to be here 5 years from now. Comes down to the personal needs of the individual in question, obviously.

Not a Children fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Nov 11, 2014

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

THF13 posted:

From reddit.

He got them to refund some of the early fees too, which means that in 2 months he overdrafted more than 25 times, knowing he he was getting charged $35 each time.

Oh my God, how do people not have panic attacks when poo poo like this happens?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Barry posted:

I can't imagine any sort of a financial situation ever giving me a panic attack. It's just money.

Jastiger you have tunnel vision. Any vaguely urban environment typically has a pretty huge disparity between renting/owning.

Er, yeah, I guess "panic attack" is a bit strong, I was more of just trying to say that it's ridiculous to be cavalier about taking a $800 hit for literally nothing over 2 months.

And yeah, seconding that in urban locales it's a totally different thing. In Baltimore in particular, property taxes are through the roof. $800 on rent and $800 on a mortgage around here aren't even remotely comparable once you account for utilities, maintenance, and taxes.

Edit: I spend $800/month for a room and a bathroom in a decent house, and am perfectly happy to do it. Man, working in the middle of nowhere sounds nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

LeeMajors posted:

My old roommate used to get these little postcards from Wachovia like three at a time, multiple times per week.

I found out years later they were overdraft notices. :psyduck:

I almost had a panic attack for him.

He also went through multiple inheritance windfalls ($75k+ each), and a year of 112K$ tax-free from an overseas firefighting contract. Each of them in less than six months. I guess it shouldn't have been much of a shock.

What did he spend $112k on in 6 months? When I try to think about how I'd blow that money in that time I'd probably get through about $30k on expensive booze and nice dinners and video games then... I got nothing

• Locked thread