Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

monster on a stick posted:

BWM is taking a check for $200K in diamonds.

BWM is taking a check for anything from someone who's just had several other checks bounce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Volmarias posted:

Seems like a reasonable thing, and the price isn't crazy either. :shrug:

You don't even need to bother with the subscription service if you transfer data from the vest to your device. Of course, that would require that you regularly do stuff with your horse, as opposed to buying one as a status symbol and rarely going anywhere near where you've boarded it.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Pureauthor posted:

Is there a worse pet than horses in terms of being BWM?

Well, there are these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDzb2yq6XYY

If you ever want a new derail bird, you might look into the palm cockatoo. It looks like something you'd see if Hot Topic opened up a pet store.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Teeter posted:

If you're going to gamble on some purely random bullshit then at least do something rad like Sigma Derby. Now there's a game that would do well for some high stakes excitement. It's too bad that I think the only still-existing tables run on just a few quarters.

At Mohegan Sun, I've seen a modern remake called Royal Derby:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p6UGdrJHjQ

Nocheez posted:

It came from reddit:

This could happen to anyone. Anyone who spends all the money in their account and isn't checking to make sure that bills are getting paid properly.

And wouldn't lenders normally send a number of "past due" notices before repossessing a car?

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Blinkman987 posted:

Old people do vote so this point can never be brought up in a national debate. Really, though, people should probably accept death and try for better quality of life than longevity. gently caress me if I end up clinging to life at 80.

Sounds sensible, at least until medical science puts out treatments offering more bang for the buck:

https://www.calicolabs.com/

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

ate all the Oreos posted:

Also lol if you think immortality research, if successful, will go to benefit anyone but the ultra-wealthy due to astronomical treatment cost and probably intentional secrecy / exclusivity, at least within our lifetimes.

Given the potential demand, the companies making it would have a strong incentive to make it as affordable as possible - both for economy of scale and to avoid inciting a big-budget sequel to the French Revolution.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

LLCoolJD posted:

There's a lot of 90th percentile talk, but what is that as a percentage of the median? "Rich" is subjective, but to me "rich" does not mean "$35k/year [pre-tax] more than working stiffs."

Especially considering that quite a few $100k+ jobs are in fields where the good jobs are disproportionately concentrated in expensive cities (such as with Silicon Valley programmers). It's kind of hard to feel "rich" in the traditional sense of the word if you can't actually afford to do much with your life that you couldn't do in the 50th percentile. Though I suppose you have the option of commuting an hour or three each way to find more reasonably priced housing.

Uncle Enzo posted:

It's really weird that the people who've by-definition benefited the most from society feel they shouldn't have to help pay for it.

I remember someone mentioning (maybe in this thread, maybe not) some young conservative type who had bragged on the internet about achieving success purely on their own efforts - after openly admitting that they had received a bunch of money from their parents.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

King George posted:

Buying a tiny house in Kentucky.

BWM: Setting up a horse ministry :wtc:
GWM: Deciding to buy a tiny house in order to save money
BWL: The person who owns a 320 sq ft house with only a bucket to poop in (skip to 7:00)

You forgot to mention that the poop bucket was about five feet from the kitchen. Wanting to live efficiently is one thing, but how could anyone think for even a millisecond that making GBS threads in a bucket right next to where you eat would be an acceptable sacrifice to that end? Are they that bad at planning, or do they care less about hygiene than most World of Warcraft addicts?

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Residency Evil posted:

I guess it varies for everyone. I'll say that I've found more satisfaction in being able to be a part of giving someone an extra year with their family than I ever did in improving some code to be more efficient. I'm sure it also depending on what you're doing at Google. My friend who's essentially a (well payed) computer janitor there seems way less enthusiastic about his job than a friend who's on a different team.

Don't forget their self-driving car program - there you're looking at technology with the potential to save tens of thousands of lives every year, and dramatically improve the quality of life for elderly/disabled people who can't drive manually. That's got to offer more potential for real satisfaction that routine IT crap.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Tim Thomas posted:

And yeah, there's no way you want to be involved with a cyclotron particle therapy system, it's the dumbest possible way to do it and totally BWM and BWRadiation.

I thought that technology had proven to be a legitimate improvement over plain old gamma radiation - the idea being to shoot out positrons which get annihilated at a particular distance, as opposed to gamma rays which cook all tissue in front of the machine.

Unless you're talking about one of those cases of hospitals trying to justify the cost of their new toys by prodding doctors to use them when they're not necessarily needed.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

legendof posted:

BWM: buying a $400 machine to squeeze juice of a proprietary, QR code-locked bag you can only buy through a subscription service you're only eligible for after buying the $400 bag-squeezer. But don't worry, the machine used to be $700 so it's a great deal!

https://arstechnica.com/business/2017/04/this-400-appliance-that-squeezes-juice-out-of-a-bag-appears-unnecessary/

Especially when there's something just like it, but with the ability to use your own produce instead of paying the same price per serving as you would at a juice bar:

http://www.juisir.com/home

Krispy Kareem posted:

It sounds ridiculous until you remember Keurig got a 100 million dollar investment from Coca-Cola to build and sell it's Keurig Kold product that was twice the size of this juicer and probably twice as loud. Like they expected you to spend 8 minutes brewing 4 glasses of sugar water for your guests.

Seems like Coca-Cola could have saved themselves $100 million and packaged their syrup for SodaStream.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Volmarias posted:

Why does it need WiFi? WHY DOES IT NEED AN APP?

:psyboom:

I would assume it uses its internet connection to validate the QR codes on the bags, so as to make their DRM harder to crack than that of the Keurig. That and check for recalled produce.

Wait, how does it know which teeth it's brushing?

Cockmaster fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

pr0zac posted:

I have heard and read this argument plenty of times with regard to the bed, which makes sense, but not the entire bedroom. Are people in studios or open lofts just hosed when it comes to sleep quality?

As I understand, the big problem there is the light from anything not turned off before you go to bed. Especially now that manufacturers think blue LEDs are hip, what with blue being the worst color of light to have in your face when you're trying to sleep.

Having your computer in your bedroom can be not that great if you ever need to download a big package (such as Steam games which can get into tens of gigabytes), or if Microsoft decrees that your computer must spend half an hour or so installing updates before it shuts off.

• Locked thread