Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Cool, more wedding talk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Nail Rat posted:

:stonk: Redit personalfinance really is a goldmine.

When questioned about physically fitting all the crap she buys in their trailer, he responded

quote:

This is quite accurate actually. I recently bagged up 1 garbage bag full of clothes and 1 garbage bag full of shoes and donated them. It didn't seem to put a dent in the amount.

That must be a fun place to live.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
That doesn't make you bad with money (quite the opposite, really) it just means you're kind of a dick.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
The personalfinance subreddit just got put in the list of defaults. Get yo popcorn ready.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
The only thing she said was $300 on a night out. That's a lot of rounds of shots or whatever. If you do that once or twice a week, there goes your $1k pretty easily.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

olylifter posted:

Edit: this lady. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z68tH-lnK60 Pants-making GBS threads crazy.

Sometimes you can just tell crazy by the sound of their voice. I feel really bad for her.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

quote:

“I’ve always been frugal, but it was when I was laid off in the dot-com crash that I became extreme,” Hashimoto explained.
“No job is guaranteed, so I live as if I could be fired at any time.”

I imagine that her unemployment during the dotcom crash must have been pretty severe to provoke this type of behavior. Yeah, anyone can get fired at any time, but that's what an emergency fund is for. Make it extra big if you're that worried about it.

She's probably lucid enough to realize that if she gets laid off again nobody is going to hire her crazy rear end, hence the $250/month total spending. She could probably retire/get fired today and be fine for the rest of her life.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I saw that, it's just mind boggling.

Assuming that she reaches that goal and not getting too in the weeds on interest/inflation and buying power and all that, $250k is enough to sustain her ~$250/month outlay for like 83 years.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

I don't think he's traditionally bad with money, just has some unrealistic expectations about what he can potentially afford and some somewhat skewed priorities.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I realize that he is pretty bad with money. I think I was originally a bit clouded due to his general lucidity and a healthy income, but if you have that kind of income and basically nothing but debt to show for it, that's just plain bad with money.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
To be fair, he does have three kids and a wife on his payroll.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
So hobbies are bad with money? If you throw money at your computer instead of paying bills or whatever, sure, but what if your financial house is in order and that's what you enjoy doing?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Nail Rat posted:

Basically he doesn't have the balls/ambition to leave a crappy but safe situation and wants to go to any lengths to rationalize why he shouldn't take the risks associated with getting a new job.

That's what it sounds like to me. I was pretty thoroughly abused in my first job out of school and it took me switching jobs to finally realize that I was a real idiot for putting up with it.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

gently caress it, I'm counting this as people bad with money. Goon finds money and immediately wants a gaming PC:

3 days of parts-picking advice from SHSC and I can only hope this idiot bought all the parts already before this post showed up today:

This makes me so happy.

This is just awesome.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Dude is just looking for "tax shelters", paying the minimum on his student loan debt and complaining about the gubmint taking 40% of his money via taxes. He also seems to think that getting married and having a kid will save him money. Seems like a real piece of work.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Based upon his 401k balance and other remarks, I think he has barely been working for about a year. I'm not sure of exactly what kind of professions pay $160k right out of school (especially nowadays), but you can probably count them on one hand.

The hosed up higher education system of America notwithstanding, you have to be at least a bit morally bankrupt to want to welch on the student loans that are largely responsible for your huge income.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Jeffrey posted:

The world of squeezing money out of institutions is one where you make the number go up at any cost. Whoever the lender was, if the lendee has a way out, the knew about it when they gave him the loan and could have planned for it the same way he has. If the lender had the chance to screw him in a way that is profitable for them, they would do it in a heartbeat, "morally bankrupt" or not, I think it's okay for him to play by the same rules.

I get that and I don't really want to start yet another higher education debate, but he was provided an education that is obviously paying dividends, it shouldn't be too much of a stretch for him to actually pay for it.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

seacat posted:

The bullshit liberal arts classes were pretty much the same, just on a prettier campus. So if you want to get a BS major in polysci or english or psychology (WHY??????) not taking English Literature 101 at CC for 10% tuition/credit hr is shooting yourself in the foot.

Oh come on

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

FrozenVent posted:

And yeah, a good work environment is worth ten grands a year. Good lord is it ever.

I think you're absolutely right. I've been in the workforce for about 10 years now on my fourth job. I've been at my latest gig since 2009 and it would take a crowbar to get me out. It took a string of less than ideal jobs for me to realize just how good I have it now.

I have a pretty specific and sought after skill-set, such that I get phone calls from recruiters on a weekly basis. "Hey, want to make double your salary working at some saw mill in the wilderness of the Upper Peninsula?" No thanks.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Yeah that's basically the opposite of being bad with money.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Not a Children posted:

Ahahahaha, their assumptions are straight up hosed. In their calculations they stipulate over $1100 per month on food in addition to $5000 for lunches at work over the year. They assume that both adults in the family are getting a $10 lunch, every. Single. Day. This, in addition to $3000/year for family/holiday gifts, $2400 per year in eating out (which might be reasonable, if it wasn't in addition to a previously stipulated $25/week for takeout), a $700 monthly utility bill, and a $2000 monthly mortgage. Well no loving wonder they're 2 grand in the red at the end of the year.

It's just a dumbass anti-tax puff piece. I'm certain there's plenty of people out there that spend like these theoretical idiots, but that's all they really are, idiots. They need a tax cut so they can throw away more money on bullshit!

$3k/year investment income for people that are putting away $33k/year into their 401k. Ok.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Zhentar posted:

They're paying to park one car in a parking ramp downtown every work day. The parking number actually stands out as surprisingly reasonable among the others.

The Naperville one is total bullshit. The only way to spend ~$300/month is to park in the loop. Nobody that lives in Naperville drives to work in the loop. Everyone takes the Metra. Well, I'm sure there are some outliers, but it's gotta be 99.9%+

e: I suppose it's possible that they might carpool, but then there's no way they're racking up as much mileage as claimed. Bleh.

Barry fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 18, 2014

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Lowness 72 posted:

Doesn't seem too unreasonable for NYC. Food is really expensive here and it's common for people to out every meal.

Sure, but none of those "budgets" are for NYC.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Powerlurker posted:

Holy crap! He signed a 6 year note at 17% interest? How the hell does that happen to you? Then again, considering the kinds of things he's saying I'm not surprised that he's found himself in that hole.

So I sign this and you give me a car? Alright!

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

I'm always a bit surprised how people manage to have 10k sitting around to give out interest free loans to "friends" and yet don't have a lick of sense. It's hardly some princely sum but you probably have some amount of financial discipline to amass that much cash, at least to the point of "hmm, maybe I should think a bit more about giving all my money to this sketchball."

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Citizen Z posted:

The parents of the kids going there will buy condos(Probably around $300,000) in town to come visit on the weekend. They're like a different species.

Holy poo poo this is awful on so many levels.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I think we'll see a good amount of the 2006 era pickup truck contractor buildings come down (there are some reallllll turds out there) but I doubt it will by systemic.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

blugu64 posted:

I admit I'm a bit more financially conservative then most, but I'd hesitate to specifically borrow money to invest. Housing is somewhat different due to the scale of the costs involved, and it not necessarily being a depreciating asset, but paying down that loan is going to be pretty high up on my list.

Edit: I won't belabor it, but that's my general thought process. Obviously different people have different risk tolerance.

But you're not specifically borrowing money to invest - you're just putting a minimal downpayment (and taking the rest of the debt at low interest) and using the money you would otherwise have put down to invest. This assumes you have your financial house in order and a healthy reserve in case something unknown happens (get gap insurance, it's like $30) but I'd prefer to either invest or stay more liquid rather than paying down a really low interest debt (assuming you're creditworthy enough to get a low interest loan). Nobody is ever putting more money at their mortgage than they really need to and that's (typically) at a higher interest rate.

MrKatharsis posted:

People keep talking about doing that but the number of people who actually do it is probably miniscule. The number of people who realize a worthwhile profit even less. Nobody mentions the risk you assume either. Min/maxing a pile of unnecessary debt like some Level 80 Elvish Actuary in Wow sounds neat but it will leave you vulnerable.

Edit: good drat I type slow on my phone.

I'm sure the number of people that do it are minuscule but that doesn't mean it's somehow rocket surgery to generally maximize what your money does for you.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Money is fungible but cars aren't so much.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

This might be the best one yet. I know love is blind (and doesn't look at credit reports) but holy crap how could you let yourself get financially entwined with that guy.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Shadowhand00 posted:

This is a story about a couple who was struggling with hard decisions when buying a home in NYC:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/03/realestate/from-townhouse-to-tribeca-the-hard-way.html?_r=0

This is the more entertaining commentary on this story:

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/225672/family-overcomes-heartwrenching-adversity-to-buy-4-million-home-in-manhattan/

Is this just run of the mill hating on rich people or am I missing something?

e: I mean it's from the RE section of the NY times. Not exactly the craigslist of Calcutta or anything.

Barry fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 4, 2014

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Sundae posted:

Last time I checked (like 1.5 years ago), Comcast renames the rental fee to a 'self-supplied equipment fee' if you don't use their modem. They get the fee whether you use their modem or not. I'd rather use my own modem anyway, but the expense is the same.

I don't pay anything to use my own modem.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
It should take like a minute to explain marginal tax rates even if the person can barely fog a mirror. 30 seconds if they have half a brain.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Seriously, that is just insane. $1600/month in car payments.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
What would you then invest it in?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Anyone else in favor a general moratorium on car/truck chat?

Another gem from the personalfinance subreddit:

quote:

I make about $1,480.00/month and have an acquired $9,000 in CC debt - $10,000 auto loan - $7,000 student loans which comes out to about $310 total for car loan + insurance - $520 for CC and med bills.

$830 of their $1480 take home just to service debt and drive. Yikes.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Bugamol posted:

This is the weirdest statement so far in the thread. Someone proclaiming that other's should "learn to drive", that additional safety driving features are a joke, and then immediately follows it up with "I've been in tons of at fault accidents!". This thread took a weird turn today.

Can we just get back to posting about people who are bad with money?

Seriously, that post is just baffling. I've been furiously scouring /r/personalfinance to find something to talk about that isn't cars but internet people seem to be behaving themselves this morning. Damnit.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
They could be fudging a bit by including benefits in the salary. So an 85k salary + benefits might be a "total compensation" of 105k.

They also might have some rock star types that get absurd salaries to drag up the average that high while the median is in the five figures. Just a thought.

e: Even if the numbers are being fudged to some degree, doing a 12 week course for a reasonable tuition and coming out on the other side with an upper five figure job is pretty drat good.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

canyoneer posted:

Ooooh here's a good one.
http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2fh4z6/pregnant_with_twins_and_fiscally_terrified_401k/

$125k in student debt, bought a condo AND a "fixer upper" house that they can't afford to continue "fixer upper"-ing. Now she's pregnant with twins and needs to dip into their 401(k) to pay off their credit card.
But of course we can't sell the condo because :argh:CAPITAL GAINS TAXES:argh:. And won't sell the "fixer upper" because they're not done fixing it!(and can never afford to)

I don't think that's particularly bad. Sure, a few bumps in the road have made poo poo a bit sour, but she's generally pretty smart and eyes open about the whole thing. They don't want to sell due to capital gains (on a positive cash flow condo to boot) because all it would take is living there another year to not have to pay them... which is pretty good with money.

The top comment is kind of absurd. Pull the plug on the whole thing because you have 5k of credit card debt. Some people are allergic to debt to an absolute fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Alright, if you say so.

• Locked thread