Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
The trick is to lure you in... to buy the car. If you're going to buy the car anyway, then the incentives are probably a pretty good deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Uranium 235 posted:

I was trying to think about it as though TFS were giving someone a 0% rate, which wouldn't make any sense.

TFS does regularly give 0% rates. You really can't imagine why Toyota Financial Services would have a financial motive to give a loan at a loss to sell a Toyota?

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

mpyro posted:

I bet the wife left him.

If you read the whole thing, she did. But they re-married. It's truly incredible. Most of that $1.2 million was incurred less than 6 months after meeting her (mostly from buying a $1 mil house with $500 down).

Eventually, she divorced him. A few months later, he got a better paying job working overseas, then they remarried, and now he mails her $9,500 every month (which, of course, does not go to paying off any debts).

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

johnny sack posted:

Yea it's got to be gambling, drugs, or something else illegal.

There's also the possibility of heavily "investing" in helping out a Nigerian prince or something.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
I don't get what people are so afraid of. I've had my credit card # stolen probably three or four times, and it's never been more than a minor inconvenience. You aren't liable for the fraudulent transactions...

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

DuckConference posted:

but drat do I feel stupid for burning over $700 because I couldn't be assed to spend 2 minutes and make a note in a spreadsheet a year and a half ago.

I waste around 1-2% of my income every year because I forget to pay something on time (I've renewed my car registration on time - which takes about 5 minutes, online - once in the past five years), or because the money to pay a bill isn't in the bank account the bill gets paid from, or because I can't be assed to make some phone call.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

SpelledBackwards posted:

that's 600 sodas.

That's not so much... it's like maybe 3 a day. I probably beat that out when I was in college; I'd have 3 or 4 cans of Orange Crush every day. I have no idea how my teeth and pancreas survived unscathed.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

FrozenVent posted:

Why do people lease cars? Seriously? There just doesn't seem to be any positives to it.

I too, used to think leasing was dumb as poo poo. BFC helped me realize otherwise. Because of it, I'm leasing a car right now! Why lease? It protects you from risk. I've only committed myself to paying for half of the car over the three years I'm leasing it (and, thanks to promotions, I've effectively taken out a 0.1% APR loan to pay for that half of the car). Once those three years are up, I get to choose whether or not I want to keep the car and pay for the other half. If it's turned out to be a lovely car and it's not worth that much, then I can just walk away (rather than being stuck underwater on a loan). If it's worth more than that, then I can pay for the other half and I'm no worse off than if I'd just bought the car in the first place.

Leasing isn't just throwing money away in rent with nothing to show for it... you're paying for the depreciation of the car while you use it. If you buy the same car outright, you're still throwing just as much money away on a depreciation. You just think you've come out ahead because you end up with something worth $10k, not realizing you paid $10k more to get it.

Leasing can still be pretty bad on average, for two reasons. First, it focuses on monthly payments even more so than the typical car buying experience, making it even easier for people to unwittingly accept awful deals with terrible interest rates. Second, it encourages you to lease another car at the end of your lease... which is just about as bad as buying a new car every two or three years.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
That is correct. It's insured, and I'll be out just as much as if I'd bought it if it's totaled.

The risk I'm protected from is excessive depreciation. Should the vehicle depreciate more than predicted, and is worth less than the residual at the end of my lease, I get to cut my losses - if the residual is $10k, but the car is only worth $8k, then that's $2k of depreciation I didn't have to pay for, and I come out ahead. If it's worth $12k, then I can still buy it for $10k, and I'm no worse off than buying it to start with.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

razz posted:

Throw it in the stock market... where it is effectively removed from the economy.

You have some rather unusual conceptions about the stock market and/or economy.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
$600 will pretty easily get you a decent sized two bedroom apartment in small towns/cities. It's not going to be very well insulated or have efficient utilities, though; $450 doesn't seem totally nuts (one of my wife's old apartments had awful heaters that could blow through that much just in gas in a month if you let them). One of the comments mentions about $150 of that is water, which seems pretty extreme, but I've never had to pay a water bill, so I don't really know what's normal.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
That'll still knock the amount due to less than 1/3rd of what it was before. And back taxes are dischargeable through bankruptcy.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

CapitanAmerica posted:

I don't get why they are squirelling away $1000 into savings each month when they have 26k in debt and are only making minimum payments on their cards.

They're so good at squirreling away $1000+ every month, they've got a whole $1700 in their savings account!

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I think the story of the dentist who pretends to fill healthy teeth is mostly an urban legend/boogeyman tale, because most dentists I have been to seem to get more than enough genuine work, what with Americans' love of all sugars. It's always seemed similar to 'and did you know emergency workers let you die if you have organ donor on your driver's license!!!' kind of medical paranoia.)

I've been to 6 or 7 dentists in my life, and two of them wanted to do unnecessary fillings. The second of them sent a letter to my new dentist saying "Zhentar needs a filling done!!!!", which the new dentist just tossed in the trash. I don't think either of them was trying to scam me; they were just being overeager to address small spots of demineralization ("microcavities") which don't necessarily require dental work and can heal through good oral hygiene or flouride treatment.

Stolennosferatu posted:

I keep on getting letters listing services and charges but at the very top it says "THIS IS NOT A BILL" and a few months later I get a letter saying my payment is overdue. Wtf.

"THIS IS NOT A BILL" is an Explanation Of Benefits (EOB) from your insurance (or in this case, Kaiser's health plan division) saying what they've paid to the healthcare provider. The provider then sends you a statement for the remainder, which either you didn't get, or assumed it was also not a bill since they often look quite similar.

Zhentar fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 9, 2014

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Check out venues that do their own catering. I had my wedding at a nice local hotel, and renting out a ballroom was drat near free if you used their catering (which I think ended up around $35/head and was pretty good quality). Added bonus was at the end, when we were thoroughly drunk and exhausted, we only had to stumble our way down the hall to our hotel room.

Cake prices people mention truly amaze me, though. I spent less than $1/person on what was indisputably the best cake I have ever tasted in my life.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

SiGmA_X posted:

The underwriter wouldn't combine their income, or be fooled by regular unexplained deposits.

They aren't "fooled" by unexplained deposits, they're forced to do extra investigation to make sure you aren't pulling something shady and falsifying the source of your funds. It won't prevent you from getting a loan, but it will make you jump through extra hoops to prove you aren't doing something illegal.

FrozenVent posted:

If the interest rate is fixed and you're confident your investments can return more after taxes, go for it I guess.

Since the mortgage interest is generally tax deductible, accounting for the taxes on your investments doesn't really change the picture much (especially considering the low capital gains taxation).

Zhentar fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 12, 2014

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
I lease a smart fortwo, which apparently means I belong in this thread.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

EugeneJ posted:

Do you live anywhere near snow? I'm wondering how it performs in poo poo weather.

I do. I got stuck at the bottom of my driveway three times last winter. It's not awful (I have a long, fairly steep driveway) but it's not good either. I am definitely going to get snow tires for it next winter.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
The "bad with money" thread is the perfect place for mandatory backup cameras, coming in at somewhere around $20 million per (predicted) life saved.

LorneReams posted:

A friend of mine has some sonar sounding poo poo as he backs up and that poo poo is awesome.

I was just renting a car in Europe a week or two ago and I found it less "awesome" and more "annoying as all gently caress". Beeping at a red light because the guy behind me pulled up close? Awesome. And thanks for constantly warning me that there's a curb at the front of the parking space. This makes it so much easier to concentrate on what I'm doing, really.

edit:

Jeffrey posted:

It's kind of weird because they still aren't really a substitute for looking behind you. It's just like, "well people don't always do that in practice so we may as well show them the child they are going to run over in advance".

My backup cam gives me far better visibility of what's behind me than what I can possibly see through the back window (particularly if I have cargo back there); it's not like it's just a lazier way of looking behind you.

Zhentar fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 28, 2014

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Also you guys are talking about seat warmers but not the infinitely more awesome seat coolers.

You're still missing the real deal. Steering wheel heaters. My life has been shallow and empty since I learned what I'm missing out on from an old BMW 740

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Jastiger posted:

I'm like..well yeah, but this will impact our credit and we wanted to buy a house.

I think you have to go at least 30 days overdue before it will hit your credit report. I certainly never had any of the half a dozen or so late payments I made show up on my credit reports.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Overheard a Ruth's Chris bar "Well, [my child and their spouse] only make $250k between them, so we help them out."

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

xie posted:

I have no idea why she consolidated, none at all. It was before we met.

There was a period of time where consolidation was the hot thing to do because you could get significantly lower interest rates. Of course, that time is gone but there are still people who think it's a thing that you are supposed to do.

My wife was dead set on consolidating because she hated needing to keep track of four different accounts between three institutions. If I didn't know better and agree to take over managing them for her, she'd be stuck in some crappy consolidation deal too.

MrOnBicycle posted:

loving hell. Reading about student debt in the US makes me so loving glad that I'm in a country where there aren't any tuition fees. I'll have about $55k (at a very low interest) of debt when I'm done with medical school (5.5 years).

The sad thing is, a lot of the student debt isn't even from tuition; people want to go off and live on their own, without a job, but keep up the same middle class lifestyle their parents were maintaining.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Oxxidation posted:

Even lower-tier schools can be tens of thousands of dollars per semester

Perhaps among private schools (or out of state tuition). There aren't any public universities with in-state tuition hitting ten thousand a semester. Many are below ten thousand a year.

Of course, everyone tells you not to consider the cost when choosing a school, so that can easily lead you off to something much worse...

Tigntink posted:

I finished school with $95,000 in debt after full pell grants, scholarships, worked 35hr per week during school year, as many hours as I could between quarters and I lived in a $300 a mo apartment - 2 bedrooms, 3 people. This was in no way pretending to be middle class. I grew up drinking hot dog water poor so I didn't even understand the concept of people buying sodas and poo poo. That was a loving luxury growing up.

Which I'm guessing is what happened to you? Usually "hot dog water poor" people qualify for enough need based assistance to not end up in that deep (speaking from second-hand experience).

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
$5k probably isn't a standing balance. With that kind of income and no savings, they'd easily stay around there while paying in full every month.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Trilineatus posted:

This is why I went to a public state school (equal to Cornell in reputation). They took my 3 years of dubious community college credits

My wife went from community college to a big public state school. Technically, they took all of the dubious community college credits, but none of them qualified for meeting major requirements, for one reason or another. Big public state school was also much cheaper than the community college for her to attend, since they gave out more than just the federal grants, to the extent that she was actually getting paid to go there.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Not a Children posted:

and a $2000 monthly mortgage.

It's a $3,000 monthly mortgage. "Mr and Mrs Jones" took out a $560k loan at 5% on a $700k lovely mcmansion that's too big to clean themselves, and costs a mint to heat/cool because it's built like poo poo.

Looks like they're driving a $30k cars (cheaper than I expected, given everything else). Both SUVs, probably, since they're getting fuel mileage in the teens.

Zhentar fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 18, 2014

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Droo posted:

* Parking is somehow never free for these people, despite their $2-$3k per month mortgage

They're paying to park one car in a parking ramp downtown every work day. The parking number actually stands out as surprisingly reasonable among the others.

Droo posted:

* $500 per month in gas, implying 3000 miles driven per month

They probably just used the national average, which would be 2246 miles a month for two drivers.

Zhentar fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 18, 2014

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
$100-$200 of that is "household supplies", leaving about $1,000/month on groceries, which isn't particularly unreasonable for a family of four (particularly in the higher COLA areas).

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

paperchaseguy posted:

$23k in child care, "after school activities" ($2000/kid??)

One kid is a toddler, the other is in school. One kid goes to a nice higher end daycare (not one of those places where poor people might go, ugh), and they need to send the school kid to after school activities because both parents are working 45 hours a week with hour long commutes trying to keep up their lifestyle and make sure everyone sees how successful and not poor they are.

The most unrealistic part is where they put money in savings instead of trying to install a pool or something just like their neighbors did.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Dik Hz posted:

Correct, but the seller broke the law. But it's civil law, so the seller can just declare bankruptcy for his flipping business, shed the liability, and reform a new business.

This is not actually universally true. Code violations are criminal in some areas. From what I see, Minnesota was one of them - up to 90 days of prison per code violation - but that was repealed in 2008. That aside, I'm pretty sure that the fraudulent intent in this particular case is plenty to be criminal anyway.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Bugamol posted:

I feel like people clinging to their car debt is a constantly reoccurring theme in these types of stories. WE HAD TO BUY A $40,000 CAR YOU DON'T GET IT. I DON'T WORK ON CARS. In this case it sounds like 2 $40,000 cars.

The problem is that they aren't just clinging to their car debt, their car debt is clinging to them. Getting out of an upside down car loan requires cash that broke people don't have...

As far as cost, I'm betting the 19% APR car was "only" $25k new.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Bugamol posted:

What usually seems to follow this trend is that people perceive that when they "need a car" they "have" to buy something for $20,000-$30,000.

Can't argue that. "Oh, I gave away my car. Better buy a brand new $25k car, why not with rates as low as 19%!" :psyboom: (Also, he mentions that was two years ago... so there wasn't even the $4k/week job to make that seem like a good idea. Nor did he try to get out of it or pay ahead at all once he was making that much...)

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
I was actually convinced by someone in BFC to lease my last car.

The key factor is that...

EugeneJ posted:

return it after 3 years

This part is optional. I agreed to pay for about half the price of the vehicle over 3 years. At the end of those 3 years, I can choose whether or not I want to pay for the other half of the vehicle and keep it. If the particular vehicle model I chose depreciates badly, and it's worth less than the residual value, I can just walk away, and I end up better off than if I'd bought it. If it keeps value well, then I buy it and keep it, no worse off than if I'd bought it in the first place.

In other words, you can think of it as a 3/3 adjustable rate loan, with the option to get out of it for free half way through if you're upside down.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Jeffrey posted:

Something in my logic has to be wrong here but I can't tell what it is.

I think the main issue you'd run into is paying two extra rounds of closing costs is going to outweigh any potential savings from a better rate.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
I'd recover photos free for a friend, no question. But an OS install? gently caress that. Set it up for free and they're liable to think you're their free tech support line for every problem they come across there on out.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
A few months ago, I saw someone with a fancy, heavily modded pickup truck with the bed full of furniture and stuff (moving apartments, it appeared). They had to take speed bumps & dips at about 1 mph because the ridiculous suspension wanted to launch everything out of the bed. I laughed heartily.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Will there ever be such a thing as a cost effective electric car?

The Mitsubishi i-MiEV would be the current best contender for that, I think. All of the affordable EVs have the same problem though, the batteries required to get a decent range cost a fortune so they aren't usable as much more than a commuter car.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
The 'Value of a Statistical Life' is anything but an objective value of any given individual's life.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

slap me silly posted:

Oh, man. Escrow and autopay are so great for lazy people like me who can't be bothered to keep track of poo poo.

Bad with money story: Me. Today. I had to pay a $360 fine because I forgot to pay my property tax on time. Then I paid a $90 "convenience fee" to pay it online because I can't be assed to write a check and stick it in an envelope (well, I might have if they had mentioned the fee before the last step, but by then I'd already typed in my whole credit card number! At least I'll get half the fee back in points).

Folly posted:

You know, for the points I never use. I really need to get a cashback card.

If you've got Chase card, you can spend your points on Amazon. It's very convenient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
A lot of other things, really. Also, the size of the transactions; the fees are a % + a fixed amount. I think 2%-3% + ~$0.25 is a normal range, though they can go much higher for riskier transactions.

• Locked thread