Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

ethical_rage posted:

Former employee of mine's brother received a fairly large sum of cash (roughly 350,000) as an inheritance after their father passed away.

Neither him nor his girlfriend had a job at the time of the inheritance.

Put half down on new vehicles. A GMC Sierra and a Chevy Tahoe. ~45,000

Put a down payment on a 350,000 house. 250,000

Fully furnished the house including an 80 inch television.

Spend the rest on who knows what. All in all they spent 350,000 in the course of 6 months.

They lost it all within a year because neither of them could keep a job.

How did unemployed people get a mortgage and car loans, that doesn't make sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan 11, 2004

Zo posted:

Did you miss the part where they put down half or more down payment for both of those?

Anyway that's sad but totally normal for when dumb people gett a windfall.

Putting down half on a loan or mortgage does not absolve you of the underwriting requirements to prove that you can pay the other half. Have you ever applied for a mortgage? It's a lot more complicated than writing a downpayment check and telling the bank you're good for the rest. Unless this happened in 2007.

Jan 11, 2004

Zo posted:

I'm pretty sure any bank will give you the okay on a 350k mortgage if you throw down 250k cash. So yes, it is that simple.

You are wrong about that

Jan 11, 2004

Rudager posted:

I'm not saying the bank is doing it as some long term investing strategy in the real estate market, I'm saying that when the guy applying for the loan is throwing down $250k on a $350k house, the bank has zero risk of not recovering the money and costs involved in repo'ing the house if it comes to that.

Sure, but the point of mortgage lending is to make lots of interest money on payments made over time, not break even on your principle and foreclosure expenses after months-years of defaulted payments. Also if they had $250k equity in a $350k house and took a strict foreclosure with no leftover equity that's pretty bad with money assuming they didn't trash the place into ruins.

Jan 11, 2004

MJBuddy posted:

So if you're the banker, the typical 20% down mortgage type nets you 10,500 from the 3% closing cost.

You get the same 10k with the 70% down they're putting down; that opens the banker to a lot more willingness to take that risk, since as mentioned in most cases they want to repackage that loan and sell it off. Even if every lender didn't want to do that, you'd just shop until you found one that did.

My optimistic take is that it's placed in a security that isn't graded AAA, of course (the subprime crisis largely resulting from junk mortgages being graded AAA).

In which case the scenario is as someone mentioned before: the lender isn't taking the risk directly, but more risk costs them money in the secondary market for flipping the mortgage.

I'd probably spend a few k on fronting my vacation budget before we eventually have kids since it'll be impossible to travel for a few years then, pay off all my student loan debt and then make a down payment on a house. But I have a job, with income and everything, so I'd hope that's not bad with money.

Brokers do not make 3% commission (more like 50 points to 1%) and it's calculated from the mortgage dollar value, not the sale price of the house.

Jan 11, 2004

Everything Burrito posted:

Found out from my dad this past weekend that my mother put the money she got from the sale of my grandma's house (the amount of which she refuses to tell anyone) in her checking account because she "might need it for something" so I figure it'll be gone in 6 months if it even lasts that long. :sigh:

My dad has a decent retirement but it isn't infinite and their house isn't paid off, so that could have alleviated a lot of uncertainty and stress, but she'll piss it away like every other dollar that has ever passed through her hands. My dad is trying to figure out some way to keep whatever is left of his estate from her when he's gone, because he figures if she ends up with it my sisters and I will never see a dime.

You can look up the sale price of the house, that's a matter of public record

Jan 11, 2004

Zo posted:

it's funny how people are still insisting that a bank won't approve a 70% down payment mortgage for deadbeats when, in the actual original story, the deadbeats got the loan in the first place

Because third hand stories on the Internet are always factually correct and complete in detail, it simply must be true and happened in just that way

Edit: this would be pretty easy for you to investigate for yourself. Just pick any mortgage broker in the phone book and give them a call. Ask them if they can pre approve you for a no documentation loan with partial funding from an inheritance windfall from this tax year and that you're unemployed with no other assets and a bunch of car debt.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 6, 2014

Jan 11, 2004

EugeneJ posted:

I saw a woman today pay $70 to send her Publisher's Clearing House entry forms via Express Mail.

Definitely bad with money, because USPS Express only costs $16.99 for an envelope

Jan 11, 2004

Blackjack2000 posted:

As a property investor I've studied listings for years and years, and I've found one surprising simple rule of thumb. The more expensive the area, the more sense it makes to rent. The cheaper the area, the more sense it makes to buy. There are certainly exceptions. If you spent a lot of money in NYC in the 90s, you did pretty well.

Well, if you invested in the S&P in 1995 just to pick the middle of the decade you made over 500% as of today with generally favorable tax treatment, it was a good decade to own money

Jan 11, 2004

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

You forgot one.

Did your parents cosign any of your loans? They still alive? Congratulations, it's now undischargeable debt from hell for them!

Jan 11, 2004

Devian666 posted:

That's probably half of their net total income just on rent. He also plans to contribute $5.5k for retirement while sitting on $20k of credit card debt. There's a whole bunch of retarded decisions there. That and I can't understand where the remainder of their income is going. They must be blowing it on some bullshit.

If they are paying $3700 rent somewhere there's a great chance a big loving chunk of it is going to NY or CA taxes

Jan 11, 2004
I like how out of all the bad decisions about houses, cars, and retirement posted in this thread, the thing that really provokes an entire page of argument is paying 20 cents too much for a cup of coffee from a K Cup machine

Jan 11, 2004
They don't circumvent interest, they just invent new terminology and contract structures to account for the necessary time value of money without explicitly calculating interest. For instance, a loan includes "profit" in a fixed sum, not interest, and a depositor is given periodic "gifts" instead of interest on their deposits. It's just word games.

Jan 11, 2004

Krispy Kareem posted:

In the short term a renter may get away with paying below market value. A good example was the housing bubble, where it became increasingly easy to buy a house, pushing apartment rents down. So if you were renting then, good job.

Of course when the bubble burst all those newly foreclosed upon homeowners flooded the rental market, driving prices up again. That means the tenant's market in 2005 was a landlord's market by 2010. So rent long enough and you'll probably pay the same proportion of property taxes in your rent that a homeowner would pay out in escrow.

Right, while recognizing momentary exceptions to the general principle created by the high transaction costs and illiquidity of rental units, in the long run it is profitable to be a landlord, just like any other economic deployment of capital and just like it has always been since the first human to exert ownership over the use of land

Jan 11, 2004

Renegret posted:

http://us.burberry.com/showerproof-car-coat-with-wool-cashmere-warmer-p39437491?gclid=CJuT3ML2xcICFSdn7AoddjwA-A&gclsrc=aw.ds

Currently trying to talk a coworker out of buying that. I'm pretty sure he's just retarded.

He has great taste though

Jan 11, 2004

MrOnBicycle posted:

To be fair, Burberry trench coats looks very good. I'd never buy one, though, since the quality doesn't come anywhere near the price they're asking for it.

It's fascinating what fraction of people who can't afford expensive designer clothing turn out to be knowledgeable and discerning connoisseurs of tailoring

Jan 11, 2004
"Investing in silver bullets will be the most unique way to preserve your wealth — and yet it’s priced as bullion"*

*plus a low low 35-100% premium!

Jan 11, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

To pile on, if your car is designed for premium, using regular will typically degrade your fuel economy to a point where it's not economical to use economy.

Really? You sure about that? It would have to be a 20% improvement in fuel economy to cover the price spread, and I sincerely don't believe that modern engines lose 20% efficiency with the wrong octane grade gasoline put in them

Jan 11, 2004

Nocheez posted:

I had an Infiniti I30 that absolutely needed mid-grade at a minimum to keep from pinging in all conditions. I would alternate fill-ups from premium and mid-grade, and the one time I tried to run regular I got 14MPG in town and lots of pinging. With mid-grade/premium I would see 18MPG in town, and 26MPG on the freeway.

I wouldn't include a 20ish year old car that actually pings with regular grade in my definition of modern engines but that's an interesting data point and it's convenient you remembered that one time

Jan 11, 2004

Guinness posted:

Also, where do you live that premium costs 20 percent more than regular??

Just earlier this week I filled up with premium @ $3.30/gal, regular was $3.10. That's a 6% price difference. Even if you're somewhere where gas is like $2.25/gal, it's still less than 10% difference.

For many high compression and/or turbo motors I'd absolutely believe an efficiency loss of up to/over 10%, not to mention the degraded performance and potential long-term reliability implications of running suboptimal octane.

It's $2.45 for 87 and $2.85 for 93, so I guess that's 16.3%. The choices are 87/89/93 and my car says 91. Honestly given that cars have to deal with a lot more variables in the real world than ideal test octane formulations (temperature, humidity, air pressure, ethanol, impurities) the thought that octane rating can really cost an engine that can stop itself from knocking any significant fuel efficiency in street driving is hard to believe. Old engines or race cars, ok whatever.

Jan 11, 2004

Nocheez posted:

It was a loving 2001, smartass.

ok 15 years if that will make you feel any better

SiGmA_X posted:

You're wrong. Go rent a 2015 M4, run it near dry and throw in regular for a tank. Then do a tank with 93. You'll see a substantial performance and MPG loss. It'll run entirely fine but at a large performance deficient. This isn't a new concept.

No poo poo an $80,000 turbocharged sports car would suffer a performance loss? The specific claim I'm disputing is that per the poster above "if your car is designed for premium, using regular will typically degrade your fuel economy to a point where it's not economical to use economy" i.e. premium gas will pay for itself in increased fuel efficiency in street driving, not that 400 hp sports cars do not perform optimally while being floored around a track with low octane gas. Since you brought up BMW, here's my brand new 3 series on its first road trip with lowly 87 octane:

Does anyone want to seriously claim that putting 91/93 octane in a car with modern knock sensing and ignition timing - which was invented to deal with numerous environmental and fuel quality variables in vehicles sold around the entire planet, not to compensate for people putting the wrong grade of gas in the car - will give freebie 16% increased fuel efficiency for the average commuting driver, equaling or exceeding the increased cost at the pump today down the street from my house?

Jan 11, 2004

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

How about this reddit guy? Police took my life savings after OP and his friend got pulled over.

Why, exactly, did this guy have 20 thousand dollars in cash on him?

It is dumb to carry huge amounts of cash but a lot of people do it for all kinds of reasons, and bullshit administrative seizure of cash, valuables, and vehicles belonging to people never charged with a crime or charged with some minor traffic offense is a real thing

Jan 11, 2004

Rudager posted:

Maybe you didn't read it but, "his friend" had a "personal amount" of Marijuana in the car as well.

Why in your mind does the possession of a small amount of marijuana ("personal amount" presumably implying a misdemeanor/non-distribution or decriminalized quantity in whatever locale) by a second party entitle the police to seize $20,000 they stumble upon without a criminal charge or due seizure process?

Jan 11, 2004

Rudager posted:

I'm sorry I have to break it down to the absolute base level for you, but there was a reason that I put quotes around "personal amount" and "his friend".

Just so we're clear, it was to heavily imply it was more than likely his own stash he uses to deal drugs to make that cash, but he was trying to make himself sound innocent on the internet like everyone who starts a post with "My friend....".

I mean I know people who travel a lot, and they're always broke, and if they're not and do actually have $20k+, they're not dumb enough to keep it on them in cash, because they're not drug dealers.

I get what you're implying but not everybody that happens to be in the same car as a joint is a drug dealer and the fact that you're just assuming the guy is lying is precisely the problem with civil forfeiture

Jan 11, 2004

Magic Underwear posted:

No, but in the same car as weed AND 20k cash is extremely suspicious. Plus he won't even give any alternate explanation for the money. I think he should have a chance to get his money back but this is exactly the thing civil forfeiture was made for, before it was abused by greedy pigs.

Right, and in any other circumstance when the police have suspicion that you are doing something wrong ("probable cause") they obtain a warrant and then arrest you and charge you with a crime. Civil forfeiture was made for seizing trafficked drugs, counterfeit goods, and assets of people like drug lords and foreign despots that are difficult for practical and jurisdictional reasons to prosecute - decidedly NOT to freely grab at cash or anything else of value local police might stumble across during traffic stops.

Jan 11, 2004

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

My point in posting that story was that carrying your "life savings" in cash is bad with money. The car could have crashed and caught on fire, or he could have been carjacked and robbed.

No question about it but "abject financial ruin with little or no recourse at the hands of law enforcement" should not be on that list of hazards.

Jan 11, 2004

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Anything over like a couple grand in cash is probable cause enough for the police to seize it without charging you and then you have to go to court to prove it was your legally acquired money. This happens constantly because police departments get to keep a portion of it for their operating costs.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/investigative/2014/09/06/stop-and-seize/

Yep, the perverse incentives that make police more interested in finding a jackpot than actually stopping crime are a big part of the problem, especially in the era of police militarization and all the cool expensive poo poo that requires. At least some states have effectively abolished civil forfeiture by either imposing onerous standards of evidence or taking away the golden carrot by putting proceeds of forfeiture into a general fund rather than going directly to the seizing agency.

Jan 11, 2004

Not a Children posted:

A lot of white-collar employers have a clause in their hiring documents that requires employees to get approval to take on other work. If an employer finds out, it's pretty much up to them how they react. They might not care if he's getting all his work done, but they may potentially sue him depending on the terms of his employment. He could easily get taken to court for some sort of fraud.

edit: If he's using one company's resources to work for another company (Which he definitely is, given that he's telecommuting from the office), that's pretty good odds on getting his rear end sued, especially in the not-at-all-unlikely case that he's working for competing companies. If he's VPN'ing to another company, it's only a matter of time before an IT audit nabs him.

I bet he'd get fired but what would be the point of suing the guy?

Jan 11, 2004

TwoSheds posted:

Set an example for the next guy that thinks of doubling down on the company dime?

You don't think firing would accomplish that?

Jan 11, 2004
A doctor's office would almost always take a couple hundred bucks for copays or visit charges but definitely ask if you're like paying for a surgery or something in cash

Jan 11, 2004

NancyPants posted:

They can ask all they want, and then you can say "and I withdrew savings in cash so we can both save money on this transaction." What are they going to do, call the bank and ask how to fill out a SAR?

I worked with a pharmacist who got into a bicycle accident and had to have a lot of work done on her teeth. She paid cash up front and filed a claim with her insurance for reimbursement because it was cheaper for her and the dentist. Some people do legitimately have several thousand dollars for such things.

E: good points about the office storing the actual cash below

A doctor's office receptionist or some accounts receivable clerk does not want to sit there with thousands of dollars cash in a drawer for the exact same reasons the original poster didn't want to have $17k sitting around in his/her house

Jan 11, 2004

Knyteguy posted:

Furniture is mostly unnecessary. They had really nice modern style couches, a nice tv stand, and well a kind of crappy dining room table (which they gave to us so that was cool). All of that has been replaced. The dining room table could be justified I suppose.

He also just bought a new 60" HDTV, which he's trying to sell now because he wants a 4K.

I'm almost certain they finance their vehicles.

I dunno; they're not spending the maximum amount possible on stuff, but a bunch of it is just really unnecessary. I can see where they're coming from because they've been broke for so long, but the rate at which they're spending, and the stuff they feel the need to replace is crazy to me.

e: trimmed the message down a little bit.

How can they finance more cars with a recent repo?

Jan 11, 2004

laxbro posted:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/investigative/2015/01/26/distressed-family-swamped-by-an-underwater-home/

This family is this thread. 1.3 million in debt due to asking friends at their scammy Nigerian church in DC every time they have a financial question/issue. Some of the stuff they did is really, really dumb.

On one hand I feel bad for anyone caught up in the mortgage bubble, on the other hand they make $100k and have been freeloading in a custom built $600k house for six years

Jan 11, 2004

Barry posted:

Ok, but in this specific example (swapping out 1 unit for 36 units), how could that single event cause rent to go up? You now have 36x the units that you used to (give or take based upon sizes and all that, naturally).

It's not like one for 36, it's like 8 for 36 and some of those were already sublet and partitioned. You are correct that strictly replacing X units with X+Y units would in theory drive rent down, but the error in your observation is that housing units are not a strictly fungible commodity competing solely on price. The developer knocks down relatively undesirable property (which they paid a premium for anyways if the sellers had any savvy) and replaces it with high trim, high accomodation luxury rental and prices to recoup their costs plus a profit. There's limited demand elasticity in the housing market because at the end of the day, people have to live somewhere and eventually they just have to choose one of the options available regardless of the price or be homeless. Relatively few people can simply abstain from the housing market until a favorable opportunity presents itself (e.g. crashing a couch or parents house).

Jan 11, 2004

Devian666 posted:

I'm the guy held under the thumb of the bank even though I chose to borrow money from them.

Sure you have a point, but it's not like banks have ever been known to go out of their way to structure everything about bank accounts and credit cards against the consumer in order to maximize fees and interest, no siree

Jan 11, 2004

Jastiger posted:

I get that every day at work. "I forgot to pay so the evil company cancelled my policy AND wanted me to pay a reinstatement fee AND wanted me to pay last months premium that I never paid! THE NERVE OF THE EVIL COMPANY". Consequently they are the same people likely to reject automatic payments because ~reasons~, then flip out when their bills are late.

I may have brought this up before, but I'll say it again, being paid in cash and refusing to use a debit card is Bad With Money. If you pay your bills on a prepaid card that you have to go to the bank/store to put a lousy $11.99 on it to pay an important bill, you should really just have it deposited into a free account. poo poo, isn't' Google Wallet completely free and allows you to make Mastercard backed transactions?

Do you realize that millions of people cannot get a regular "free" bank account even if they want one? Reasons for this range from bad credit to being blacklisted for previous account closures to being in the US undocumented/illegally. There are entire empires of services clamoring to nickel and dime the "unbanked", these fee-based debit cards for people paid in cash chief among them.

Google Wallet is entirely free to use - as long as you have a checking account. Otherwise it's a 3% transfer fee to fund.

Jan 11, 2004
Those are some seriously awful lease deals on those cars

Jan 11, 2004

Rudager posted:

Guys, don't you seem to understand, he has UNLIMITED EARNING POTENTIAL! All he has to do is earn more, duh.

He sounds like a less broken SloMo.

EDIT: Yep, upside down as gently caress on at least one of the cars

EDIT2: Wait, can you be underwater on a lease?

Of course you can, you are typically but not always underwater on a lease in the dollar value of $(car value - lease payoff amount)

Jan 11, 2004

Golluk posted:

I suspect those may be fully loaded vehicles, which can bring up the cost substantially (Gotta have that $1400 nav system). It boggles my mind how a guy in car sales could be over paying by that much on a car.

It does make feel more comfortable about my recent purchase. I'll be throwing the 30 hours of over time on this pay check at it.

Still I pay less than either of those cars for a BMW. He's probably getting ruined by a combination of expensive financing, bad residuals, and a bad sale price (still the most important variable in a lease just like any automotive transaction).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan 11, 2004

icehewk posted:

Community college for two years and then a state university is the way to go.

Unless you want to enter a career where degree prestige potentially matters a lot to your long-term career prospects, like law, finance, consulting, academics, etc.

• Locked thread