Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

District Selectman posted:

Negative, I pay less to live in Northern Liberties than my coworkers pay to rent in the burbs. Also what you're saying about over 30s not living there sounds like 50 year old dad chat.

There's a million places you could live in Philly that are good for the price if you're not a baby. Fishtown, art musuem, university city.

Enjoy your yard I guess

Enjoy getting stabbed in Northern Liberties and/or fishtown! Hey! It's UP AND COMING (said by everyone while they live there over the last 30 years yet it still hasn't up and come) But at least you get to hang out with hipsters.

Look at the demographics of the non poverty level residents of Philadelphia. It's skewed very young because Philadelphia is a lovely place to have kids go to school. The only good things to do are get hammered and work there. I do both without having to walk down a street that literally smells of piss like the rest of the city.

I might be in the minority for liking old city, but it's a hell of a lot nicer than the loving art museum or university city. But it's also close enough to all the businesses on Market St and JFK to make commutes reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Seattle looks like it's filled with older people too, even though its not. I live in a trendy neighborhood with a younger population but my office is in South Lake Union, so whenever I walk through downtown it looks like Seattle is just 100% professional people in their 40s and old women in their 60s that probably have cats.

My neighborhood (Capitol Hill) is just full of late 20s-early 30s Indian engineers working at Amazon :v:

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

HonorableTB posted:

Seattle looks like it's filled with older people too, even though its not. I live in a trendy neighborhood with a younger population but my office is in South Lake Union, so whenever I walk through downtown it looks like Seattle is just 100% professional people in their 40s and old women in their 60s that probably have cats.

My neighborhood (Capitol Hill) is just full of late 20s-early 30s Indian engineers working at Amazon :v:

I think you misspelled south lake union o.O

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Negative, I pay less to live in Northern Liberties than my coworkers pay to rent in the burbs. Also what you're saying about over 30s not living there sounds like 50 year old dad chat.

There's a million places you could live in Philly that are good for the price if you're not a baby. Fishtown, art musuem, university city.

Enjoy your yard I guess

This thread IS Dadchat.txt, I don't know what you're talking about.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

It's like Mogadishu, but actually worse because it's filled with Eagles fans rather than just Al-Shabab.

Stealing this quote.

The entire point of that picture was to show that central Iowa is and remains the SA, BFC: Best Place to Live.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

HonorableTB posted:

How far the gayborhood has come.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Jastiger posted:

Stealing this quote.

The entire point of that picture was to show that central Iowa is and remains the SA, BFC: Best Place to Live.

Not if there's no jobs for you.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
It's not very BFC to only make the median income lets see some percentile breakdowns for (income - COL).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
gently caress Iowa.

gently caress the whole midwest while we're at it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Bloody Queef posted:

Enjoy getting stabbed in Northern Liberties and/or fishtown! Hey! It's UP AND COMING (said by everyone while they live there over the last 30 years yet it still hasn't up and come) But at least you get to hang out with hipsters.

Look at the demographics of the non poverty level residents of Philadelphia. It's skewed very young because Philadelphia is a lovely place to have kids go to school. The only good things to do are get hammered and work there. I do both without having to walk down a street that literally smells of piss like the rest of the city.

I might be in the minority for liking old city, but it's a hell of a lot nicer than the loving art museum or university city. But it's also close enough to all the businesses on Market St and JFK to make commutes reasonable.

Philly goon, and yeah I would not live in Philly if I had kids, the school system is just bad and the last few years haven't exactly been kind to it. That's bad with money.

Philly is weird because it's on a block by block level what is a safe and not safe area to be.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Aliquid posted:

S...South Carolina?

It's not bad when you live next to the state line. I feel bad for most other people in SC though.

Personally I'd like to see how the states rank when unemployment is out of the equation.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 12, 2014

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Jastiger:s weird pan-thread cheerleading of where he lives is almost as annoying as car chat.

Dangit Ronpaul
May 12, 2009
Suburbs vs city/regional pissing match derails are arguably worse than carchat. Nobody is going to convince the other side that their chosen place to live is objectively better, and living someplace you hate just to save money falls pretty squarely into the "good with money, bad at life" category.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Here's a funny one. You know how the Reddit threads always start with people saying "HELP MY CRAZY MOM STOLE MY IDENTITY AND OPENED 12 CREDIT CARDS AND NOW I'M ON THE HOOK FOR $80,000 IN DEBT AND I AM 19 AND HAVE NEVER HAD A JOB WHAT DO I DO?"? Everyone says, call the cops stupid, or else you're going to pay the debt.
Wellllll.... here's one.

quote:

Okay. So about a month ago, I received a ticket in the mail saying I owed the court $247.00 for a court date that I missed. I called them immediately because I had no recollection of this supposed violation. When I called they said I got stopped and pulled over on the 60 in September at 7pm. They said there was a physical ticket given and that I SIGNED it. I asked if I could pick up the ticket and they said it was fine. Went to pick it up and its NOT MY SIGNATURE. I'm not married yet and my fiance was freaking out as much as I was. Because I'm not married yet, I still live at Home and so does my sister. We share the same car.. She's been known to do naughty things and when I saw the signature, I immediately knew it was her. I talked to my mom about it and my sister.. She denied it all and said she "doesn't know". I also talked to my fiancé and he said that if I didn't do it, to get a court date because it will affect our insurance when we get married (he's an insurance agent) so I did all of my research and tried to get a police report to see if an actual ID was given or if it was someone just saying that they left it and it was me. Its the same car so it had to be my sister. I kept asking her if she knew anything about it or if she opened mail and didn't tell me and she kept denying it. I went to see a family lawyer and told him my assumptions and said she could get in serious trouble. Now, I'm all for taking responsibility for your actions but I also don't want to send my pregnant sister to jail. If she wasn't pregnant I'd be fine (..I think, I'm way to nice sometimes) I just wanted her to admit that she got caught. Well a couple days ago she finally admitted to finding the ticket and pretty much saying it was her. I've already set up a court date that's an ID hearing ( the cop comes in and IDs you) we look similar so the only chance I have is by signatures. She said to go ahead and have the hearing and shed deal with her consequences despite being pregnant. She is my sister and I love her to death she just doesn't know how to make good choices just yet. And my mom is freaking out thinking if I go to court I'll send my flesh and blood to jail while 7mo. pregnant. I'm kinda torn if I should just have her pay me the fine and deal with the insurance later or for her to possibly go to jail and have that on her record. I want her to learn that lying isn't going to save you from your consequences.. Gah idk what to do!

All the comments are saying "Send your idiot pregnant sister to jail instead of paying the $247 and the possible insurance increase. You've got to (let some agents of the state) teach her a lesson!"
:munch:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

canyoneer posted:

Here's a funny one. You know how the Reddit threads always start with people saying "HELP MY CRAZY MOM STOLE MY IDENTITY AND OPENED 12 CREDIT CARDS AND NOW I'M ON THE HOOK FOR $80,000 IN DEBT AND I AM 19 AND HAVE NEVER HAD A JOB WHAT DO I DO?"? Everyone says, call the cops stupid, or else you're going to pay the debt.
Wellllll.... here's one.

All the comments are saying "Send your idiot pregnant sister to jail instead of paying the $247 and the possible insurance increase. You've got to (let some agents of the state) teach her a lesson!"
:munch:

Seems right to me. She lied to the state and to the op, I'd send her rear end to court without blinking. It's one thing to make a mistak, it's another to put someone else's future on the line and lie about it

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

I would send her to jail. No remorse.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Jastiger posted:

Seems right to me. She lied to the state and to the op, I'd send her rear end to court without blinking. It's one thing to make a mistak, it's another to put someone else's future on the line and lie about it

I personally love getting police involved in every family dispute, but mostly because I want to irreparably damage the relationship with my family members (who I live with) over 300 bucks.

Like she's a lovely person, but it would probably hurt the victim of lying more to punish the sister.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Day Man posted:

I would send her to jail. No remorse.

Yeah, some people are just terrible.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

MJBuddy posted:

I personally love getting police involved in every family dispute, but mostly because I want to irreparably damage the relationship with my family members (who I live with) over 300 bucks.

Like she's a lovely person, but it would probably hurt the victim of lying more to punish the sister.

If a family member tried to ruin my future by impersonating me I'd make sure the truth comes out. She'd probably try and pull the same bullshit again in the future. Potentially something worse as well.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

MJBuddy posted:

I personally love getting police involved in every family dispute, but mostly because I want to irreparably damage the relationship with my family members

The sister did that, not her. You don't need to play Devil's Advocate for lovely sister, it's ok.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
I don't know enough about the situation. I'm not saying that it would never be a response, but its not a strictly dominant solution and holy poo poo I fear for the time you turn your kids in to the police for whatever stupid thing they'll do on the grounds of "this ones broken, so it'll do something dumber later. "

Its not a 100% thing, is all.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

MJBuddy posted:

I don't know enough about the situation. I'm not saying that it would never be a response, but its not a strictly dominant solution and holy poo poo I fear for the time you turn your kids in to the police for whatever stupid thing they'll do on the grounds of "this ones broken, so it'll do something dumber later. "

A relative of mine turned in another relative again on a trespassing charge that was later brought up to a felony, which was his third felony. He's 23 and is serving life, mostly for petty theft, break-ins and trespassing, mostly reported by family members. System works.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Jastiger posted:

Um, ok? That's weird because my dad believes in things like work till you're 5 years from death, and loving yards are awesome investments, but ok. I thought this was about how to be smart with money, which in my experience is the opposite of safe dad chat, because people pay money for (false) safety and (false) lack of risk, but actually forget it, anyone reading this, you will be stabbed and die in the streets of Philly so please never move here. Stay in your house and do not ever come to my neighborhood and make things more expensive. It's dangerous and a poor black will kill you in the streets with a knife. Save your family.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Stay in your house and do not ever come to my neighborhood ... Save your family [from my posting].

Sounds like a plan to me

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Pregnant sister screwed up royally. She lied way too much and tried to screw her sister. I think she (pregnant sister) should be responsible for going to the courts and setting the record straight.

I sold a car to my niece and when she did the title work she put the purchase price at zero, like an idiot, to avoid paying taxes. Of course the state found this suspicious and sent me a letter to confirm it. I cashed a $4000 check from her just days before she did the title, so there was no way I was going to lie to the state for her mistake.

If you're going to break the law and lie to the government, don't expect other, innocent people to go down in flames with you.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Um, ok? That's weird because my dad believes in things like work till you're 5 years from death, and loving yards are awesome investments, but ok. I thought this was about how to be smart with money, which in my experience is the opposite of safe dad chat, because people pay money for (false) safety and (false) lack of risk, but actually forget it, anyone reading this, you will be stabbed and die in the streets of Philly so please never move here. Stay in your house and do not ever come to my neighborhood and make things more expensive. It's dangerous and a poor black will kill you in the streets with a knife. Save your family.

I don't know why you are so upset about it. I mean yeah central Iowa IS the best place to live! But all snark aside, it seems to me to be pretty Bad With Money to live in an area where the COL far exceeds the potential income that you get from such a city center. Combine that with increased safety risks and expensive transportation costs and it just doesn't seem super wise to defend living in Philly if you could do the same thing elsewhere, unless there are intangibles you love about the place. I think it was you, but may have been another poster, that was bitching about how expensive it was in Philly and they didn't actually like it either. So....yeah bad with money.

MJBuddy posted:

If my daughter, when she was a fully functioning adult, went around opening up false credit cards in my name, getting traffic tickets and not paying them in my name, and doing all that other poo poo, and then LIED about it when confronted, yeah...I'd totally call the police. To save my future AND hers. Its one thing to make a mistake. Its another to intentionally lie about it without giving two shits about who you are hurting, especially a close family member.

Of course you could be trolling me defending the sister, in which case, well done. But it still deserves a response because nearly every Bad With Family story is a result of honor culture and that culture parrots exactly what you're posting.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Does anyone else have friends who are buying new, bigger cars because of the dip in oil prices? My Facebook feed has about 12 people who are either considering financing a new, chunky truck/SUV "because gas is cheap", or have done it already.

Why the heck do so many people think that gasoline prices will be low forever? :psyduck:

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Jastiger posted:

I don't know why you are so upset about it. I mean yeah central Iowa IS the best place to live! But all snark aside, it seems to me to be pretty Bad With Money to live in an area where the COL far exceeds the potential income that you get from such a city center. Combine that with increased safety risks and expensive transportation costs and it just doesn't seem super wise to defend living in Philly if you could do the same thing elsewhere, unless there are intangibles you love about the place. I think it was you, but may have been another poster, that was bitching about how expensive it was in Philly and they didn't actually like it either. So....yeah bad with money.

Philadelphia is pretty cheap for an East Coast city. Especially compared to Boston or DC but in my industry salaries are basically identical between Boston, Philly and DC.

It's also heavily a commuter city because the suburbs are either reasonably priced or ridiculously nice depending on where you are. The city itself just isn't rewarding enough if you aren't fresh out of college to put up with lack of space, safety issues and the expense of keeping a car there.

Best with money in the Philly area is living and working in the suburbs.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

melon cat posted:

Does anyone else have friends who are buying new, bigger cars because of the dip in oil prices? My Facebook feed has about 12 people who are either considering financing a new, chunky truck/SUV "because gas is cheap", or have done it already.

Why the heck do so many people think that gasoline prices will be low forever? :psyduck:

Um obviously gas is low now, so it can get that way in the future too. Glass half full.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

I think the real answer is that the misidentification OP should secretly take her pregnant sister's place in jail, even if she isn't identical looking or pregnant.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Assuming it is a first offence, the sister won't be going to jail.

A judge would pretty quickly suss out that situation, levy a small amount of probation at absolute worst and hope it scared her straight.

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

melon cat posted:

If gas prices do rise again, they'll have enough car equity to pick up something smaller and more efficient. And who keeps a car for more than 3 years anyway?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Let's see I have "victims of the financial crisis", house sold by bank for $1.2m, family still owes $800k to the bank, age 60, no other apparent investments and a court case hinged on a buying offering $2.2m when they couldn't come up with $100k in 3 days.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/money/64093828/Forced-home-sale-bankrupts-couple

These idiots are horrible with money because instead of responsibly taking action about being unable to service their mortgage they let it get out of control. It's obvious they were looking to sell but turned down offers due to greed forcing the bank to sell their house two years later. Some quick calculations show they probably had a $1.75m mortage at about age 55.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Devian666 posted:

Let's see I have "victims of the financial crisis", house sold by bank for $1.2m, family still owes $800k to the bank, age 60, no other apparent investments and a court case hinged on a buying offering $2.2m when they couldn't come up with $100k in 3 days.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/money/64093828/Forced-home-sale-bankrupts-couple

These idiots are horrible with money because instead of responsibly taking action about being unable to service their mortgage they let it get out of control. It's obvious they were looking to sell but turned down offers due to greed forcing the bank to sell their house two years later. Some quick calculations show they probably had a $1.75m mortage at about age 55.

quote:

"It was all sweet at the start, they can't lend you enough money. Then when things start to taper off, they screw you over. They're a pack of ratbags."

Church said his investment failed when an Auckland motel he owned got caught up in a Ponzi scheme

:frog:

Why am I suddenly not surprised?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

melon cat posted:

:psyboom:

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
No, but I have a friend who bought a Nissan Leaf a year ago and is kicking himself a little.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Volmarias posted:

:frog:

Why am I suddenly not surprised?

Just keep borrowing every dollar the bank offers, what could possibly go wrong. Especially when you are waiting for that big payout, oh the big payout just needs some more money?

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

melon cat posted:

I actually unintentionally did the exact opposite. At the beginning of October, I traded in the pickup truck that I bought right out of college for a car that literally doubled my fuel economy. Then, of course, gas prices started free falling. It feels pretty nice to be paying $30 when I visit the pump instead of $70.

But I no longer have truck equity, so I suppose I'm a loser in tthat regard.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
http://us.burberry.com/showerproof-car-coat-with-wool-cashmere-warmer-p39437491?gclid=CJuT3ML2xcICFSdn7AoddjwA-A&gclsrc=aw.ds

Currently trying to talk a coworker out of buying that. I'm pretty sure he's just retarded.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Renegret posted:

http://us.burberry.com/showerproof-car-coat-with-wool-cashmere-warmer-p39437491?gclid=CJuT3ML2xcICFSdn7AoddjwA-A&gclsrc=aw.ds

Currently trying to talk a coworker out of buying that. I'm pretty sure he's just retarded.

What's your coworker's annual income?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Renegret posted:

He has great taste though

• Locked thread