Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

I just feel bad for this guy:

quote:

Applicant’s SOR alleges ten debts totaling $27,418. He experienced significant family problems that resulted in unplanned costs. These problems include his wife’s ongoing mental illness, the unplanned pregnancies of his daughter and son’s girlfriend, housing problems that required his family to move, and legal bills following his daughter’s criminal conduct. Applicant sought the professional assistance of a bankruptcy attorney, filed Chapter 13 bankruptcy, and is on a repayment plan. Applicant has mitigated security concerns alleged. Access to classified information is granted. CASE NO: 11-09785.h1

Two pregnancies, criminal charges, crazy wife. At least he's still got his security clearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Thanks to a lapse in my record-keeping, I owe the government $375, and will probably owe them a similar amount next year. It's not something I owed but forgot to pay, but rather a penalty that was completely avoidable. Now seeing as I can just pay that without any drama I don't know if it necessarily belongs in this thread, but drat do I feel stupid for burning over $700 because I couldn't be assed to spend 2 minutes and make a note in a spreadsheet a year and a half ago.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

thylacine posted:

How did a 17 year old have a 7k credit card?

I'm guessing he took one out in her name or something?

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Bisty Q. posted:

:what:

Non negotiable on a check means it isn't a valid check.

Well, not always: http://patrickcombs.com/95g/

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

thylacine posted:

Props to that guy for spinning his story into a whole self-help brand for himself. I guess. He never says if he gave the money back. Wouldn't knowing you're depositing a fake check be a crime itself?

It looks like he just has a shortened version of the story up now that doesn't talk about the ending, but from what I vaguely recall of reading it years ago, he didn't end up keeping it, although I don't recall whether it went back to the bank.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Am I crazy or does 20k seem like an INSANELY cheap au-pair? Live-in, practically 24 hour care?

it's always possible "human trafficking" is on the list of her bad mistakes, many people severely underpay/mistreat foreign nannies and regulators are starting to act: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/vancouver-man-sentenced-to-18-months-in-prison-for-human-trafficking/article14867909/

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Yeah, hasn't this dude heard of paper plates and ordering pizza??

Pfft, you tear the box lid to make plates.

Now that I think of it, I'm enjoying not being in school anymore.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

tuyop posted:

I floss religiously every day and brush carefully and wear my night retainer thing because my teeth were very expensive. And I don't really eat sugar or anything acidic.

But they're also made of chalk so I just had seven cavities filled. I feel like a man who abstained from smoking only to be diagnosed with lung cancer. I'm never loving flossing again. :mad:

We're they all at the same dentist? I've heard a couple of stories of propel who had fine teeth switching dentists, and all of a sudden the new dentist discovers all of these cavities that need to be filled despite not being visible on X-ray.

I mean I guess any deviation in the surface of the tooth can be called a cavity, and it's a judgment call as to whether something should be filled (you could be nipping a problem in the bud), but it seems like a lot of dentists do go a bit fill-happy to pad their numbers a bit.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Didn't that guy have a turnaround thread where he cleaned his house up and got his kids back?

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

Uh if the kid's a US citizen what visa do they need to go to America for annually? You can't lose birth citizenship like that.

my guess is that because hes a US citizen, he's in china on a visa, and that's what expires and needs refreshing by leaving china

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Good with money (?) : If you have a savings account under the same bank, put it in there, and hope they forget to take the interest back when they correct the error.

Although a couple weeks interest on 760k isn't really much to get excited about these days.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

The local car co-op here (which is kicking zipcar's rear end in terms of market share) has a plan where you only pay $3/hour plus a mileage rate, plus you get half of that $3 back for any unused time if you end your booking early. So it's pretty easy to just add an extra half hour or hour when you book just in case, which is probably part of why they're doing so much better.

Anyway I've been using it for about a year and even using it a fair bit (2x a week for a while) it's way cheaper than owning and running a car.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

MrOnBicycle posted:

Using tanning beds is just being bad at life, no exceptions.

It's kind of like a loan, but for appearance. Look somewhat better now, look much worse in 10 years. Plus cancer!

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

melon cat posted:

I just read this article that has been circulating the Internet. Long story short- an individual bought a $90,000 Tesla Model S. And like many Model S owners before him, he financed a large part of the purchase- a $70,000 bank loan.

He got into a collision, and was billed $10,000 in parts and $20,000 in labor. And now he's surprised that his luxury supercar is expensive to fix and his insurance company is giving him pushback.

I don't get it. If they declare the car a loss, doesn't the insurance company have to pay $70k instead of $30k? I thought they usually did that when the cost of repairs was greater than the book value of the car.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

http://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/2x3avb/my_older_brother_got_in_an_accident_and_they_are/

He only had $15k in liability coverage for his auto policy, which was for covering someone who wasn't him driving a car which was not his.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Pretty much the usual, truck equity and living paycheck to paycheck on 100k/year: http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/31b502/how_am_i_living_paycheck_to_paycheck_on_100kyear/

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Switchback posted:

But can it be about that? I miss horsechat. Rita Crundwell you sneaky gently caress!

Horsechat has been spooked and now fears this thread.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Gothmog1065 posted:

Sigh. I'm on a "budgeting kick" because we spent almost 1k in food last month, (we had been at ~500 for eating out and groceries. I know it's still too much, but it was somewhat sustainable and it kept her happy) and I gave her a hundred bucks at the beginning of the month to last her all month to eat out (to be fair, I'm down to 15 myself, but 10 of it was paying for her poo poo and 10 I used on non food).

Maybe think of it as less of a "budgeting kick" and more of "we're changing our spending habits so we can <financial goal>"

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

the talent deficit posted:

Learning Ruby on Rails in 2015 is bad with money. Learn Angular or React or go the devops route and learn Jenkins, Ansible and Docker

Jesus Christ, we're approaching a singularity point where the Silicon Valley circle jerk will be creating languages and frameworks so fast they will be obsolete before release.

What the gently caress are any of those things?

Edit: I mean aside from Ruby on Rails, which I would be skeptical of if someone suggested for a project since it seems excessively trendy

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Canada continues to try to emulate the US housing crisis:

quote:

Jewellery buyer Russell Oliver, better known from his ads in the Toronto area as the “Cashman,” decided to step into a new title — “the loan arranger” — after his customers started asking for help with their mortgages. The business is small but growing steadily.

“Banks traditionally are very conservative, and if you can find certain ways of dealing with customers where they get rejected by the bank, it can be very lucrative,” Oliver said.

Oliver has no qualms about being in the subprime business. He doesn’t dig into people’s lives, doesn’t care about their credit history or if they can prove their income.

“Obviously it’s a very loosey-goosey way of doing it,” Oliver said about his qualification procedures. The interest rates he charges range from 10 to 35 per cent. His cut for connecting investors and borrowers is five per cent.

His sole criteria is the value of the property that backs up the loan. Even then, he isn’t worried that a housing downturn could sink some of his customers into foreclosure because, while it would affect his investors, he has no skin in the game. He collects his fee and moves on.

“We use other people’s money; I don’t put in a dime, I just work on a straight commission. I don’t care what happens to the market, I don’t care what happens to the people, I don’t care what happens to the repossession of the house,” Oliver said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/07/28/shadow-mortgage-market-canada_n_7882216.html

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

This equuity might be good with money but bad with not being a quadriplegic:

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/3z8tn3/my_34m_gf_29f_of_8_yrs_is_senselessly_risking_her/

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Not a Children posted:

I posted this once in the thread already, but I was browsing through my post history looking for something in particular when I re-found this one. It was posted around December of 2014. Brought me a chuckle.

Hope this guy didn't follow through on it, since the price of crude has fallen nearly 50% since this post. Of course, that just means that now is definitely the time to buy! :D

Buying in to peak oil* and being completely, startlingly wrong about it was helpful for driving home the lesson that one can't predict the future.

*by peak oil I just mean the idea that production peaks and oil stays pretty expensive, not all the wacko mad max type stuff

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Of course all the calculations have to assume every single dollar has equal utility

In practice, 100 million dollars is probably not 10 times better than winning 10 million dollars.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

The friend in Italy is good with money, he has convinced someone else to pay for his vacation.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

I Like Jell-O posted:

You may have cause and effect reversed there, at least in some cases.

Maybe, but pretty good scientific evidence is starting to stack up that keeping your mind and body exercised will significantly slow down decline in old age.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

a relative of mine got married, and her and her husband stretched and got a half million dollar house they could barely afford since she works at a daycare and he works as an EMT.

despite a strained relationship she gets pregnant, but the husband decides to keep riding motorcycles and ends up crashing due a self-done repair that he screwed up, and is now unable to work. no idea where it goes from here but she's due soon and I doubt things will get better

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Simultaneous gwm and bwm: http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/business/house-investment-wealth-1.3716641

$1mil between two people retiring in their mid-30s doesn't quite work

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Dik Hz posted:

Zero Acceptance, Understanding, or Responsibility, but basil Gardening? idk

BASIL wasn't a zaurg thing

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Changing your mind is a lot of effort, and everyone's natural inclination is to just keep all of their current ideas and twist whatever you read into supporting it. So if you go into reading the four pillars wanting to bet it all on black, your going to interpret it as a justification for bet it all on black.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

$1k/month on instagram toddler outfits: https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/51gpub/my_25_wife_24_is_obsessed_with_trying_to_get_our/

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

while the story is probably fake, amazon does indeed has massive problems with the integrity of its inventory, eg. https://www.google.ca/amp/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/apple-says-many-genuine-apple-products-on-amazon-are-fake-1476984451?client=safari

And
https://www.google.ca/amp/www.cnbc.com/amp/2016/07/20/birkenstock-quits-amazon-in-us-after-counterfeit-surge.html

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

From the bankruptcy thread:

quote:

He brought up an example with Best Buy that offers a secured credit card and the collateral is whatever you purchase on it. I guess its in the fine print or something (I thought you had to pay a deposit to open a secured card, which I have never done) because clients he's had overlooked it and thought they had an unsecured credit card.

Is this real because holy poo poo America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Magic Underwear posted:

There is some talk in the thread that this guy has a history of stories like this. I'm inclined to believe they're all bullshit.

Daytrading fanfiction is a genre that can only grow! Plus you could always do a Chuck Tingle book like "Pounded by a margin call on my naked puts."

• Locked thread