Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Blinkman987 posted:

Do you only feel that way because of hindsight? You couldn't project that in 6 years you would have this level of financial success. You can only make the decision with the information you had at the time.

Also, completely spitballing here, your marriage may have benefited from that increased early financial stability and knowing that both partners were on-board with a fiscally responsible decision from the get-go.

GWM is me eventually marrying a divorcee because they've already had their big wedding and we can just elope.

Or you know you can have another ceremony now. Call it family reunion/ renewal of marriage vows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Uncle Enzo posted:

I know bitcoin mining requires ASIC's on an industrial scale and even then isn't profitable. What I wonder is- could I farm out my cpu/gpu to some ignorant bitcoiner to use for bitcoin mining, accepting my pay in cold hard fiat? I could compute electrical+wear+tear and lease it out for say 130% of that, payable in dollars no bitcoins thanks. So, like, they'd pay me 15$ a day in order to mine .000000001 of a bitcoin, at current exchange rates worth .00000001$. That'd be a pretty sweet deal. For me. With how ignorant and greedy bitcoiners are maybe I could find a taker.

Sold! I'll give you $2 for every bitcoin I mine.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Armacham posted:

The two greatest days in a boat owner's life are the day he buys his boat and the day he sells his boat.

You know what a boat is? Its a hole in the water you throw money in.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
If purchase price was $300 how could they charge $100 a month for 12 months?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

What

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
When I got married I got two goats and a cow and I was grateful.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

SpelledBackwards posted:

What do you mean, this method of only giving 1 gift but getting between 6 and 6*6 gifts in return is unsustainable? From a friend's Facebook feed yesterday:

I don't get this. Is it a pyramid scheme for cheap crappy gifts, are you paying $10 for the info plus the gift?

fe: just saw your youtube link, so it is a pyramid scheme, but how, why...

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

cowofwar posted:

Uh might as well hoard guns and ammo in your bunker while you're at it. I haven't had a service interruption at my online bank over the course of more than a decade.

Just have two different network credit cards. Redundant bank accounts is a bit excessive.

I have all my money in gold bars and canned lentils.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

quote:

Amazon gets the money right away from my bank, just I don't have it and will probably be charged some fines again.

Fines or fees? I guess you could call it an idiot tax.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

quote:

We are trying to be frugal with our food budget and both love to cook, but being involved with nutrition means that we spend a little more for healthy/organic foods. We are budgeting $400 a month each ($100 a week per person) for food, so that takes her $1,035 a month down to $635 on average, depending on commission and time of year. Is this a reasonable food budget for our healthy accommodations?

Shes a nutritionist and they have to spend $800 a month on food. You'd think spending $100k on school to learn about food you might be smart enough to cook high quality healthy meals cheaply?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
What about $800 a month in grocery shopping? Nothing? No one is going to say anything? Thats a normal amount to spend?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
You people don't even know about lentils?! Oblivious fat cats!

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

BigDave posted:

I thought the real money was in Frozen Orange Juice Futures. :confused:

Sure thing, Mortimer.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Buddy of mine recently paid the incorrect amount for a wedding. Discuss.

Shuttup

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Antifreeze Head posted:

Clearly you sometimes need proper containers. Pro GWM people like me raid recycling bins for old sour cream containers and use those.

Expert GWM people just eat the leftovers found in the recycle bins. Free calories with minimal expenditure.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

It's just debt like anything else and you owe it basically no matter what. There have been some terrible cases of automatic margin calls and algorithmic liquidations occurring in wacky volatile trading causing traders to get completely wiped out worse than that guy's short sale, and it's pretty much too bad so sad.

Everything I know about short selling I learned from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trading_Places

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I'm not a doctor or a lawyer but if you just sign this piece of paper we can begin the kidney transplant.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Inverse Icarus posted:

You can't say if he bought $1,000 or $2,000 worth.

The thief made $1700, tard.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Moneyball posted:

Anybody got any bad with money stories?

I paid :10bux: for a forum membership once.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Noyemi K posted:

I've got another BWM story about a friendship that got ruined over it, but I've got some work to do and will post later. Also gotta ramp up the drama :getin:

You'll be in our hearts and prayers, goonspeed little goon.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Not a Children posted:

Problem gambling is a bit terrifying in that it's the only addiction I can think of that is openly exploited by the government. I mean, the help lines are there, but that seems like a token maneuver to say "we're totally not exploiting the desperate and uninformed!"

Ya, cause running numbers isn't going to be some sort of organized crime thing.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Devian666 posted:

Imagine if everyone in the US got $4.33 instead of spending so much money on lottery tickets.

But that money comes from all people who bought tickets and dispersed to all people even those that didn't buy tickets. So some people will make $4.33, some will make $2.33 and some will lose a lot of money.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
They say climate change killed the dinosaurs, maybe the next climate change will bring them back. If that happens I will get a T-Rex and let him feast on the flesh of the bourgeois.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
How low can you go?

Kanye West claims to be $53m in debt, and asks Mark Zuckerberg for help
http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/feb/15/kanye-west-53m-debt-mark-zuckerberg-larry-page-martin-shkreli

https://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/698926987281371136

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 15, 2016

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Radbot posted:

Just leased an econobox based on a leasehackr.com deal a few weeks ago. $2,778 (or $2,078 if you include the $700 Costco cash card) for a 2 year, 30k mile lease, including first year of registration, TT&L.

An effective cost of ~$86/mo, plus insurance of $20/mo, plus $60 in gas makes it $26/mo more expensive than my local bus pass. No disposition fee, all maintenance is included in the lease, and tires won't need to be replaced within 30k miles. Suck it, buyailures.

What exactly is an econobox? If its anything like the box I live in behind costco you got ripped off, fat catte.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Radbot posted:

Oh my god this is so BORING, humble bragger

GTFO

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Sweet sweet gubment cheese

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

DrBouvenstein posted:

Holy poo poo:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/475vmm/145k_debt_graduating_school_in_8_months/

Oh, but don't worry, he's not technically $145k in debt, only $90k, $145k is just the total amount he'll end up paying off. :suicide:

But then friendly Redditers point out that there's no way he'll only be paying $300 a month on that, and rightfully figure out that unless he gets on IBR it'll be over $900 a month.

But with a degree in computer animation he will be making beaucoup bucks working for pixar.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

canyoneer posted:

Have a family member who was a Pixar animator. He worked on 4 films and did really well there.

He left Pixar to make movies with his brother. They make Redbox tier B-movies like Osombie or The Christmas Dragon.

So what you are saying is that gravy train has (full) sailed?

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 23, 2016

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Best bet is probably just to save a lot so when it all comes crashing down you can lowball someone who just got divorced, had a spouse die or needs to move.

Why not all three.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
We still doing humble brag nominations?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3763545&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post456711610

johnny sack posted:

I paid $20k for pre-school/daycare for my kids last year. That's as much as college tuition/room at most places. I haven't thought anything like that. I am thankful that your daughter has not started making GBS threads herself to death.

I hope that in 12-15 more years I don't start thinking that way.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Thats why they say the first 5 years of a child's life is the most important for their long term development.
http://www.ccfc.ca.gov/parents/learning-center.aspx?id=9

EugeneJ posted:

Isn't this also why you shouldn't take your kids to Disney World under a certain age since they won't remember any of it

Nail Rat posted:

Good news, 3 year olds basically don't know anything and have like no longterm memory. This is literally the right time to move. Moving when your kid is 10 or 12 or 15 is way worse.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Isn't there an easier way to find buried gold? I know it's not magnetic so a standard metal detector wouldn't work, but maybe sonar? Especially if they bought a lot, so it's probably in bar form.

Sonar or metal detecting would work.
http://www.metaldetector.com/learn/buying-guide-articles/gold-prospecting/whats-the-best-gold-prospecting-metal-detector

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Cicero posted:

Yelp fired another person who is both poor and stupid: https://medium.com/life-tips/yelp-fired-a-single-mother-today-me-fe9c87e71be9#.ej49jxrsm

Huh that sucks, I wonder if

Wait what? Why would you

:stare: :psyduck:

uh, too late, check the last page.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

BraveUlysses posted:

Pretty sure it's real, but very uncommon. Some restaurants end up having special events for 'elite yelpers' :laffo:

It's practically impossible to find a review of a downtown restaurant in Seattle that this fuckin retard has captioned his photos with "xx chau time xx"

https://www.yelp.com/user_details?userid=hesGaU1cfQinyauBQpuZrg

4000+ photos and 66 reviews? probably qualifies for bad with money

Bad with lyfe yo...

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

spwrozek posted:

But he is a foodie... A foodie...

fauxdie. see what I did there?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Is horse chat a derail or is it the topic of this thread?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

High Lord Elbow posted:

Back to the "under 100k horse crowd," a lot of those people live in places like Wyoming and Texas where you can buy a few hundred acres with a decent 3br/2ba for almost nothing. With the cost of living so cheap and abundant land, having a few horses to roam the range is really satisfying and not as bad as stabling them in some fancy Northeastern suburb.

So yes, they're expensive but in certain parts of the country you don't have to be rich to do it.

Source: Grew up with horses, did not starve.

I live in hawaii and I had a $10k wedding on the beach, normally it would cost twice that but since I'm a local I got a good deal.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Can horses walk down stairs?

edit:
Yes, also good with money if they carry your school supplies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Mojo Threepwood posted:

project couldn't be completed with the time and money Schilling had.

You don't get rich and stay rich by spending your own money. Fat Cat 101

• Locked thread