Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

If you are fulfilling your savings obligations and meeting all of your budgetary needs, you can buy all the gold, shoes, and possibly even horses you desire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Auction House barons trying to bump up the auctioneer average item price so they can cash out their bank full of beanies.

I had to check that I wasn't in the WoW forum for a moment.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

canyoneer posted:

Title inflation has made it so people with very little experience are getting Senior Shitlord titles for entry level jobs
Vice President Shitlord is also quite common.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Nail Rat posted:

Time for this again huh
"Meeting all savings goals and also buying a single luxury item" is not the same as, "I BOUGHT EVERY HORSE I'VE EVER SEEN" and everybody knows it but you need a good argument to shake things up once in a while.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

NancyPants posted:

Why are we arguing about this philosophical bullshit instead of making fun of people who can't figure out that spending $5000 a month on candles is bad when they can't pay the rent?

Every time I think I might be autistic I just come to this thread, gently caress
You definitely don't have to be autistic to be a frothing pedant, as the Something Awful dot com forums have been teaching us for nearly two decades now. It's threads like these that help me remember that as pedantic as I might be, there are people worse off. Some people are forced to have their arguments in person, such as at family gatherings and the bus stop.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

That is the saddest horse. Do all horses look that sad? I could never cope with owning such a sad, majestic creature.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

BloodBag posted:

I'm ashamed that I know this.

That's called a 'soft eye'. That horse is interested in what the photographer is doing, hence his ears are pricked forward. His upper lip is pooking out a bit, which means someone is feeding him treats off camera and he's itching for another one. That horse is probably having a great time because some of them do like being washed. Judging by the appearance of the rest of the horse, it's groomed very often.That's a saint of a horse to put up with whatever that contraption is in the first place though. I'd hazard a guess that it's for helping their tendons after a race.
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRD
(this is very interesting, thanks for the information! :) )

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

This one isn't especially terrible, but I feel like I got M. Night Shyamalan-d.
Please link. Please link.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

flynt posted:

But the 9$ ice cream pint isn't in the original reddit post. The comments seem a bit more reasonable when you read the reddit post instead of the version posted here.
Yeah I was actually surprised at how low the post was rated when you read the real original. She makes it clear that she's paying for her own stuff, saving money, and not at all reliant on him to make her way. There's a bit of "I wish he would spend some of his money on me..." but I read it as more, "I wish he would demonstrate he values me and our experiences together" than her being irrationally selfish about his money.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

NancyPants posted:

I know exactly why it is bothering me: She is a hair's breadth away from the parent who opens a credit card in her child's name and justifies it by "I gave birth to you/put a roof over your head/fed you!" She's a bully. She's not teaching him anything about how to manage money because her child has no autonomy in managing money. She's just exerting control over someone with no care to their needs or wants. It's called abuse.
If you read the other comments by the poster in the thread, your assertion becomes clearly out of touch with the reality being presented. People raised valid criticisms of the method and the OP was like, "Yeah, you're right. We were too gung-ho about this. I see what you've presented as a more reasonable option." At least from my reading of it.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I have ADHD and can completely commiserate vis a vis: taking of meds and unfinished tasks, like this one time I

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

therobit posted:

It's not like it is a gotcha technicality; the way it is written doesn't include distribution. The intent might have been something else, but the language is unambiguous.
Programmers don't make this mistake (in production, after rigorous testing, most of the time***) because we constantly have to ensure the order of operations on logical OR and AND are doing what we mean them to.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

That's a pretty good Chris Walken impression.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Ashcans posted:

Aren't there some small Christian sects/churches that do snake-handling stuff for rituals? Maybe some Pentecostals? Maybe one of them would like to buy it as a rad snake church.

I just remembered that Alan Moore worships a snake god, someone let him know about this too.

I always assumed Alan Moore literally was a snake god so I'm sure he's already aware.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

There's enough waste in that hypothetical horsebaron budget to feed an actual family of four at the poverty level. Probably two families. loving lmao.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

BarbarianElephant posted:

The "childcare" budget sounds like a nanny's wages. So in effect, yes.
I could see exorbitant childcare costs for the years where the children aren't going to school, but what loving four-year old needs piano lessons? There's so much incongruity in this stupid, dumb hypothetical that I'm feeling a pressing need to invest in pitchfork manufacturers and guillotines just for the lovely example this guy is trying to make. Food for four = $23,000? Get bent, idiot.

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm gonna weigh in here. I don't want to overshare, but my wife and I hyper-saved before we started having kids because we could. Now, childcare costs more than our mortgage and we are no longer able to hypersave. In fact, if we hadn't plowed in nearly 50% of our income to retirement savings before having kids, we'd be falling behind rapidly.

Instead we're putting money into childcare, increased medical spending, and saving for college that apparently is projected to cost about $250k per kid for state schools in 18 years.

Edit: I don't want to try and defend the Hypothetical Rich Lawyer Couple, but nannies cost more than $45k/year in big cities. They can't afford a full time nanny for that.
This is exactly why I'm hyper-saving at the moment with my fiance because I don't expect to be able to keep this pace up forever. I'd rather get a head start and fall into line if we lag behind because generating a brand new human being costs a lot of money.

Hoodwinker fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 24, 2017

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

ego symphonic posted:

I don't actually think its possible to spend > $400/mo on gas in New York. Even driving a land cruiser to work every day getting single digit miles per gallon you're just not traveling far enough.

Not if you drive across the backs of the poor everywhere you go.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

How is inheritance from a retirement fund handled? Are there withdrawal limits once you're at the right age? It could be a tax-free investment to pass on to your kids.

Hopefully within a year I can start putting money into an IRA, but right now it's all 20% credit card and E-fund. Mid-20s isn't too bad in the grand scheme of things, is it? :smith:

I turn 30 in a month and I've only gotten my poo poo together in the last two years, don't you loving start with me about "Oh noooo I don't get to save money until I'm 25!!!! :( :( :("

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Remember how many people don't max their IRA every year, let alone any serious savings, and I'd say you're probably going to be fine. The bar you need to clear to be effective with your money is so depressingly low that the only really entertaining thing to talk about in the BWM thread is snakes, underwater houseboats, and equine law.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

ate all the Oreos posted:

Yeah I get why you should save in general I've just always wondered why people prioritize retirement accounts so much, but clearly I didn't know how they actually worked :v:

Rich people with horses have made tax-advantaged accounts a Very Good Thing to put your money in if you're smart with it.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Yeah I'm sure your folks would really appreciate interrupting their empty-nester gently caress parties to house your broke unemployed rear end
You're weird, friend.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I guess, I mean I know my parents would have my back if I got fired but specifically expecting them to be your safety net to the point where it's a factor in your ability to assess risk seems kinda, idk, rude? They have their own lives and do their own thing now that I don't live at home and going "whelp sorry mom and dad i took a risk to start my own exotic ant farm business and it fell through mind if i crash at your place for the next decade" seems kinda selfish.
I was more commenting on the fact that you brought up empty-nester gently caress parties, but speaking to your point, my own personal experience is that my parents care about my success and well-being as a human they created and love. I think they would have some hard words to say if I tried to make my own way with an exotic ant farm business but I don't think anybody was legitimately suggesting that extremely hyperbolic scenario.

The reality in most cases is that children are often like their parents and whatever dumb ideas you have were probably shared by them at one point. Either they coach you on how to not gently caress it up so bad or they at least know where you're coming from. Let's not act like everything happens in a vacuum. You probably inherited the exotic ant farm genes from them.

I knew I had a fallback from my parents but both they and I made it clear that it was not the ideal path and we'd do everything in our power not to let it happen. (My exotic ant farm business failed because it was next to a ranch and it spooked all the horses and now I owe a million in legal fees.)

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

KingSlime posted:

Some people are just below average. It is their place in life, and nothing will ever change that.
For every person who grows up to understand their parents' struggles, there's at least one person who insists that they can make it selling their Garageband mixtape out of an Aldi parking lot.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Suspicious Lump posted:

Guys, I was impersonating the author and his dumb views.

Poe's Law is real.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Rolo posted:

Why did I image search this??

Because you haven't read enough Lovecraft to know what "squamous" means.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

the talent deficit posted:

yep. there was a related scam where you could pay $5000 for an ebook 'teaching' you how to do this
This is really the best thing. How loving stupid do you have to be?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

People are motivated more by desperation than stupidity here. It's their BIG BREAK to move up socioeconomically by outsmarting the system. A lot of buttons pushed there.
I know, and it would be soulless to attribute stupidity in any case, because something more sad and less dramatic is usually the underlying cause. But it feels good to simplify.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Is there a community of artists who insist that only certain dyes or mediums can produce, "the best color red?" If so, lmao. If not, somebody needs to get on that. I guess TV and monitor enthusiasts are the closest you can get.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

KingSlime posted:

People who believe in an unregulated market free of Big Government Interference need to be shown these excerpts. That's what no rules looks like.

My super controversial and fresh hot take: a whole lot of humans have no moral compass when it comes to making money.
They know what it looks like. Their greed is greater than their sense, though, for thinking that they won't end up on the wrong side of a bum deal someday.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Droo posted:

Every time we try and stop stupid people from getting hurt it makes life worse for non stupid people. Like how I have to sit at a red left turn arrow for 5 minutes because other people are too stupid to handle turning left with oncoming traffic.

And if you are a grown adult and don't want to wear your seat belt, I don't really give a poo poo at this point and you can just die. Can we stop the PSA's and checkpoints already?
This is a low effort troll and you should feel bad.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Droo posted:

Yes, there are totally circumstances that exist where your car is hit with enough stopping force to propel you out the windshield and yet the car is somehow still bouncing around in traffic, and if only you wearing a seat belt you would still be conscious and the brakes would be functional and you would be able to easily bring the vehicle to a controlled stop.

Let's spend another $10 million on public service announcements to try and convince grown adults that wearing a seat belt is a good thing to do, though.
Death and dismemberment is a lot more expensive for society than enforcing the law. Hope this helps.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Droo posted:

As long as the cops are out making sure grownups eat their vegetables I sleep well at night.
Conveniently, laws are enforced whether or not you agree with them. This is better for all of us, yourself included.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Nevermind, probably misunderstanding.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I never noticed this before but if those are trees then that's a loving huge rear end stack of rocks.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Didn't they just switch over to the USD or Yuan or something? Zimbadwithmonwe
Gesundheit.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

El Mero Mero posted:

There's an entire era of artwork that relied on specific colors that could only be achieved by grinding up mummies.
Most bodies are buried with the ground up :v:

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I don't buy a lot of useless physical crap but god drat those humble bundles. gently caress. I haven't played all of the games I've gotten in them but I have been introduced to some really amazing ones because of them, so it all breaks even in my book.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Devian666 posted:

I only occasionally get them as I don't have a lot of time for gaming lately. I did pick up the $30 for 30 games one recently. Some pretty cool games in that and it'll keep me going for a long time. Actually starting to get through my backlog of unplayed steam games too. I'm pretty sure my gaming budget is under $100 per year now.
I more or less stopped playing WoW and that has given me many more hours to devote to playing the zillion games I've bought and also more time to work on my own game. Getting burned out on MMOs is GWL.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Our children are the future, and that's why we'll overwork and underpay their primary source of non-parental growth.

:capitalism:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

If your parents loved you or wanted you to succeed they would have coughed up the money for private school, Timmy

Something something bootstraps.

• Locked thread