Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

SlothfulCobra posted:

Every so often there's an actual interior, but usually seats are reserved for jeeps and motorcycles. I'm more impressed when there's actual opening car doors anyways. But I think it really looks best when the transformation leaves the robot's head right where it can be looking out the windshield.

Oh yeah, also it was really good in the headmasters toyline when you could have little men in cockpits. Also you could mess around with that a bunch.

Triggerhappy is in what is commonly referred to as Gerwalk mode. It's a Macross/Robotech thing, mode half between jet and robot. Speaking of which, Disney plus is getting all of the Macross stuff! That was announced the other day.

Except DYRL and SDF of course, because you know who wants a movie.

The_Doctor posted:

Oof, reports of Haslab Unicron yellowing.

Polluticons have invaded!

But seriously that sucks for something to happen to so pricey and big a figure.

Unfortunately yellowing seems to be an issue facing toys a lot these days due to the plastic used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I love the Triggerhappy mold so much. It was so loving cool.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Last Call posted:

Speaking of which, Disney plus is getting all of the Macross stuff! That was announced the other day.

Torn between "uuuuuugh of course its Disney", "uuuuuugh of course they're not getting SDF", and "lol at least everyone will get to see Brian Cranston doing anime"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Good Listener posted:

I love the Triggerhappy mold so much. It was so loving cool.

Said it before but if you had told me in 2015 that Topspin and Triggerhappy would soon be considered among the best Transformers ever made, I would have thought you were mental

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I remember the thread being positively giddy over Triggerhappy and thought "it can't be that good". Found one in the now closed Toys R Us in Woking, got it home, transformed it and giggled like child because it was that good and more

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Triggerhappy is great because lets face it, GUN ARMS. Why give the guy a small gun, when he has four big rear end ones connected to him.

Also he can Gerwalk which makes him far more cooler.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

The Last Call posted:

Triggerhappy is in what is commonly referred to as Gerwalk mode. It's a Macross/Robotech thing, mode half between jet and robot. Speaking of which, Disney plus is getting all of the Macross stuff! That was announced the other day.

Polluticons have invaded!

But seriously that sucks for something to happen to so pricey and big a figure.

Unfortunately yellowing seems to be an issue facing toys a lot these days due to the plastic used.

Shame about the original Macross though as much as it pains me to say at least for Do You Remember Love it's not entirely Harmony Gold's fault here, that movie has apparently been a rights mess for basically its entire existence

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I remember the thread being positively giddy over Triggerhappy and thought "it can't be that good". Found one in the now closed Toys R Us in Woking, got it home, transformed it and giggled like child because it was that good and more
I had a pretty similar experience, even though I had a quick look at him at done gaming event. Was pleasantly surprised once I had time to sit down and play with him properly.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

drrockso20 posted:

Shame about the original Macross though as much as it pains me to say at least for Do You Remember Love it's not entirely Harmony Gold's fault here, that movie has apparently been a rights mess for basically its entire existence

Main thing is we know a new blu ray of Macross Plus is coming. That got announced awhile back, so buying that.

It might be the high mark of the Macross fanchise outside of the original Macross. It definitely blows away everything else that came after, some of which only got sillier and stupider.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
I'm a little disappointed it's only the Macross Plus movie, as while the movie did a number of things better I also loved the pacing and additional stuff in the OAV series, but goddamn, I'll sure take a blu-ray of the movie, hell yeah.

I was rewatching it recently and marveling, yet again, at how well it absolutely nailed what it set out to do. Its characters were just thinly-disguised versions of characters from SDFM, but aged at the same rate as its audience. It acknowledges and respects the way the audiences grew up in the interim, and beautifully expresses the ways we have to grow past childish things while still holding on to the parts that made them so cherished and special in the first place. It doesn't talk down to its audience, it relishes the experiences along with them. Just a tremendous work, and a stark contrast to other "franchises" (god I hate that word) that just rehash the original themes and stories, or are content to just wallow in mawkish nostalgia.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The Last Call posted:

Main thing is we know a new blu ray of Macross Plus is coming. That got announced awhile back, so buying that.

It might be the high mark of the Macross fanchise outside of the original Macross. It definitely blows away everything else that came after, some of which only got sillier and stupider.

Bravely Modern Macross is cool actually.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
In retrospect, the Dinobots' being particular enemies of a guy named "Shockwave" makes a surprising amount of sense

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Phy posted:

In retrospect, the Dinobots' being particular enemies of a guy named "Shockwave" makes a surprising amount of sense

I forget which comic it was, but I remember shockwave being slightly incredulous that the dinobots actually held a grudge. And I believe his counteract was to blow up the energon both groups were after because if shockwave couldn't have it, no one could.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The Last Call posted:

I will not hear a word said against Speaker Pod Gamma :colbert:

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Can't say I paid much attention to the newer stuff or even some of the older stuff that came after Macross itself. How do I put it delicately.

A lot of it holds little to no appeal to me. Oh I like the looks and designs of various mecha. But then I look at who is suppose to be flying them and.......yeah.

Then I read about some of the plots and concepts and it's like. Oh. Okay, then.

Give me more Macross Plus like story and characters.

Give me that Macross like experience.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
Macross Plus is 100% the pinnacle of the Macross followups. Nothing else comes remotely close.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Holy gently caress mpm bonecrusher makes me wanna drink bleach. I hate when they ship this poo poo in vehicle mode. Let me just open it and put my dumb robot man on a shelf instead of having to suffer through your dogshit engineering

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Keldroc posted:

Macross Plus is 100% the pinnacle of the Macross followups. Nothing else comes remotely close.
To be fair, it is by far the most grounded and plausible story in the entire franchise. I do love the silliness of the later stuff though.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

banned from Starbucks posted:

Holy gently caress mpm bonecrusher makes me wanna drink bleach. I hate when they ship this poo poo in vehicle mode. Let me just open it and put my dumb robot man on a shelf instead of having to suffer through your dogshit engineering

skill issue I'm afraid, MPM Bonecrusher rules. Watch a video if you have to because the transformation is a delight.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Were the Star Raiders a Pulse and some other retail exclusive? I would've thought Filch would hit BBTS by now.

Edit: Nevermind, it's Walmart

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I'm calling it: Filtch is the shortpacked one.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Arquinsiel posted:

To be fair, it is by far the most grounded and plausible story in the entire franchise. I do love the silliness of the later stuff though.

I like that more grounded approach.

All the idol and boy band stuff seen in other various Macross stuff had me rolling my eyes too hard. They leaned way too hard into such things.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I'm calling it: Filtch is the shortpacked one.

I feel like it's the only one peeps want so I bet you're right.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

banned from Starbucks posted:

I, too, also hate transforming Transformers.

Also Origins Wheeljack went up on Pulse and instantly sold out, womp womp. :negative:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
/\/\/\ there was a bigger window for that one.

New wave of Legacy on Pulse.

And Gears is sold out already. I got the push notification, clicked through, completed the order, and the rest are gone. 🤣

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

/\/\/\ there was a bigger window for that one.

New wave of Legacy on Pulse.

And Gears is sold out already. I got the push notification, clicked through, completed the order, and the rest are gone. 🤣

Ohhh, pulse, yeah. They're still up on BBTS, where I preordered gears and sandstorm.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The Last Call posted:

I like that more grounded approach.

All the idol and boy band stuff seen in other various Macross stuff had me rolling my eyes too hard. They leaned way too hard into such things.
That's why Macross 7, the stadium rock band one, is objectively the best :hai:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arquinsiel posted:

That's why Macross 7, the stadium rock band one, is objectively the best :hai:

Man, I remember in like 2000 Macross 7 was everybody's white whale.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Man, I’m getting Legacy Silverbolt for the BW display buuuut I’m kinda realizing I really don’t like the character. His and BA’s relationship is really kind of forced and he really defangs her character.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Nodosaur posted:

Man, I’m getting Legacy Silverbolt for the BW display buuuut I’m kinda realizing I really don’t like the character. His and BA’s relationship is really kind of forced and he really defangs her character.

Yeah I never liked the two of them as a couple. In Beastmachines at least it had a little more to it, but emo Silverbolt wasn't any better.

Plus BA as a Transmetal looked loving horrible.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I thought Beast Machines did a disservice to both of their characters by reducing black arachnia to her search for her boyfriend and turning silverbolt into an edge lord

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
I actually liked the Silverbolt and BA pairing, it was rather unique at the time. And unexpected. You had the good knight like guy and the clever bad girl and somehow it kinda worked. It helped since that was a rarity for such programming and especially for Transformers.

Beast Machine ruined every character.

Silverbolt becoming angsty emo guy for what he was forced to do and BA for basically becoming the Mom of the whole group who lost every edge to her.

You half expected her to start serving cookies and being the secretary of the group.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Please no one make fun of Starscream's small Cyber Key, he's very sensitive about it.

Xenomrph posted:

Also Origins Wheeljack went up on Pulse and instantly sold out, womp womp. :negative:
You'll probably have better luck ordering it from Target, they're probably the best of the surviving brick-and-mortars when it comes to exclusives actually being available to buy. It's sold out now, but is more likely to come back there than Pulse.
https://www.target.com/p/transformers-origin-wheeljack-legacy-united-voyager-class-action-figure-target-exclusive/-/A-89230403#lnk=sametab
Unless you're outside of the US, I guess, in which case, womp womp indeed.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Knormal posted:

Unless you're outside of the US, I guess, in which case, womp womp indeed.

All the Buzzworthy / Target exclusive stuff goes to Toys R Us in Canada, so other countries might have similar ways of getting it.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Saw the Ironhide Prowl death two pack at Ross for 14bux. No interest in it but maybe someone out there wants it!

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

The Last Call posted:

I actually liked the Silverbolt and BA pairing, it was rather unique at the time. And unexpected. You had the good knight like guy and the clever bad girl and somehow it kinda worked. It helped since that was a rarity for such programming and especially for Transformers.

Beast Machine ruined every character.

Silverbolt becoming angsty emo guy for what he was forced to do and BA for basically becoming the Mom of the whole group who lost every edge to her.

You half expected her to start serving cookies and being the secretary of the group.

Yeah, all this. BA and Silverbolt's relationship in BW is one of the most believable bits of long term writing in the entire show. She starts out using him and ends up caring about him against her better judgment because he's just that drat earnest about it. BM really was an astounding bit of character assassination across the board.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It just felt forced to me and reliant on the “high heel face turn trope.” Like of course BA has good inside and can be redeemed, she’s a woman. Plus Silverbolt’s insistence that she can be good because she was a Maximal protoform is really kinda sexist when you realize she’s not the only Predacon like that.

Season 1 BA was just as ruthless as Megatron and Tarantulas. She got seriously defanged by turning her into a morally conflicted “bad girl” who gets redeemed by love.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Well hang on, she was basically the only Maximal turned Predacon who had a chance to be redeemed. Inferno was sent crazy coming out of the pod, no chance you'll even get near him, never mind get through to him. Quickstrike didn't even need a control mechanism, he was just an rear end in a top hat from the second he woke up. And Rampage is, you know, Rampage.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I think her true counterpart is Dinobot, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Dabir posted:

Well hang on, she was basically the only Maximal turned Predacon who had a chance to be redeemed. Inferno was sent crazy coming out of the pod, no chance you'll even get near him, never mind get through to him. Quickstrike didn't even need a control mechanism, he was just an rear end in a top hat from the second he woke up. And Rampage is, you know, Rampage.

She only had a chance because the writers made her that way. There was nothing suggesting she was more “redeemable” until Silverbolt introduced it because again, she was pretty bad beforehand, just more intelligent than the likes of Inferno.

Regardless it’s not about who realistically has a chance, it’s about Silverbolt’s sympathies. He could have had hope for all of them, no matter how unlikely their redemption was in reality. The Transmutate episode (ugh) could have been a springboard for him to have an interesting dynamic with Rampage, for instance. But his entire character revolves around BA and BA only.