Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Gammatron 64 posted:

One of the many, many moments in MTMTE that made me laugh out loud.

Also,

Ultra Magnus is my favorite character.

So yeah guys, you should be reading this book.

You really can't pitch MTME without mentioning everyone's favorite cyclopean sociopath:

:allears:

Whirl is pretty much the number one reason (out of a loving ton) I've found myself invested in a piece of Transformers fiction in a really, really long time.
(Number two reason is Cyclonus)

Oh right, new thread, whoa etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Yonic Symbolism posted:

You know what's really Voyager? Furman's IDW run. And Spotlight: Arcee was Threshold. Embarrassing misunderstanding of genetics, attempts at being edgy, and ends up being so stupid that everyone wants to forget it. Yes, I personally think that the plot of Spotlight Arcee is really as dumb as evolving into salamanders.

Popular though he may be, I will agree with this. Give the man credit for his worldbuilding, but like most "ideas guys" he was kind of a poo poo writer and his clever catchphrases were actually just grating and stilted 99% of the time. Spotlight: Arcee was deplorable garbage, and I get the feeling he's only adored in the fandom mostly out of nostalgia for what he did in the Marvel UK comics, and for meeting the lofty criteria of "is a comics writer" after Dreamwave imploded spectacularly.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Sire Oblivion posted:

This is going to be an amazing toy line if they don't cheap out.

See, when they showed off the 458 Italia for DOTM, I thought the same thing.

Welp :sigh:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Just picked up Sandstorm, he's basically perfect in every way (except for his gun, which just looks kind of goofy). He's just so solid and chunky and orange, I can't stop swooshing him around in VTOL mode :allears:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

quote:

Due to the world's largest online retailer breaking the on-site date of 7/1 on this item and listing early, we are forced to protect the large investment we've made in this figure and also list preorders.

Hahahaha, listen to that spite. "Boo hoo hoo, how could Amazon, the worlds' largest online retailer, stoop so low as to disenfranchise our tiny mom-and-pop online toy store with its predatory selling practices and inability to inform customers about shipping delays?"

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

GD_American posted:

oh poo poo just announced

Swerve (MTMTE style)
VOYAGER CLASS WHIRL

Awww motherfucking yesssss

If Swerve does not come with either My First Blaster or The Shoomer, I will be vaguely disappointed, but I'll still buy him. Also thank christ almighty, I don't have to buy the FOC combiner version of Whirl anymore.

EDIT:
~*SPACE DOORBELL*~

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

The Rage posted:

Lots of good stuff, but during the panel the Hasbro rep said they wanted to go back to simpler transformations. Basically turning Cyberverse Commanders in Deluxes/Voyagers. I sure hope that doesn't mean less articulation and detail, but if it did it would be par for the course so far.

I've got news:

yes that is a loving deluxe

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
In regards to the hilariously bad upcoming BH deluxes, I'm glad they're at least focusing their effort on making the 30th anniv. Generations figures excellent. I probably wouldn't have been able to muster up any amount of care for upcoming Beast Hunters dudes even if they were actually made well, so relegating those toys to KO-quality legends upscales doesn't really make me that mad. Plus, new Cosmos! (The old legends Cosmos was both terrible and hard-to-find so I wholeheartedly welcome another iteration of ~*SPACE DOORBELL*~)

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Keldroc posted:

You can't cancel an order once you've placed it, you pay in advance, and there's no real way to check your order status aside from emailing them, which they don't like very much. A lot of people also got screwed when they offered up a preorder for MP Soundwave but never delivered on it. I've never had an unfulfilled order from them, but it is a bit like throwing your money in a hole and hoping it coughs up a toy robot a few months later.

We live in the year of our lord 2013 and there are still retailers out there that charge for preorders up front? What the gently caress?? :psyduck:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Goldskull posted:

How many people have the new Sandstorm? I'm considering it but after Blitzwing and hearing problems here about Springer, does it have tabbing problems too?

Sandstorm is definitely a lot more solid than Springer; there's a lot of tabs and pegs not on the original mold which fix a lot of the stability problems Springer has. VTOL mode is also a whole lot better looking than Springer's "well I guess it kinda looks like a helicopter" but the tradeoff is dune buggy mode looking kinda goofy from most angles.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
I'm fairly certain I have never once transformed BH Shockwave, not even out of curiosity. It's just a big purple action figure with a spinny arm for all I care. It sure is a beautiful big purple action figure, though.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Lepecard posted:

Hey there! "Also got hit by a shopping cart" buddy! :hfive:

Ok, whoever is in charge of putting gloss on these preview toys, KNOCK IT OFF!

It's more likely a protective finish so that the painted prototypes they put out for display don't just completely disintegrate. I dislike the gloss as much as the next guy, but given the choice between boring-rear end monochrome test shots and some offish-looking paintjobs, I'd go for the latter.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

SpikeMcclane posted:

Grab your popcorn. Harmony Gold is sueing Hasbro over Jetfire.

I can't wait for Hasbro Legal to crush HG into a fine paste so we can finally get Macross poo poo stateside. :allears:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Keldroc posted:

BLITZWING HAS A HOLE IN IT CHRIST

You're like a broken loving record dude. You don't need to come in screaming to the high heavens every time you hear the "someone talking about Generations Blitzwing" dogwhistle, we've heard it. :jerkbag:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Blackheart posted:

Everybody except Keldroc take a look at this:

Who wants more Bruticus

Where did those guys even pop out from?

Hell, I'd buy that on name alone. Warbotron :allears:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

TheDK posted:

Here is a link:
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=19038126

As of this posting, the "Ship to Home" option is available.

:psyduck:

It... worked. It worked! What madness is this?

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
MTME #21 Cyclonus and Tailgate are completely adorbs, which is something I never thought I'd say about a scowly robot and a robot with no face. Tailgate made him a new horn! :kimchi:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

WendigoJohnson posted:

Then again I have all four versions of Bruticus so I may just be a tad biased. Having each one with a set of matching limbs really does make them look badass. Especialy if you have Brawl or Swindle as each limb he just looks so chunky and burly that you couldn't hate it. I also love their individual modes, especially Brawl's and Onslaught's robot mode.

You're the first person I've seen who likes Onslaught's robot anything. I also have an irrational love of the FOC combaticons, but even I admit the Onslaught mold is a hot loving mess. Those arms :psyduck:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

SpikeMcclane posted:

I wish that there'd been some chest-box rotation so the "vehicle mode" didn't look completely stupid. And bonus: if they did, it'd pretty much be an inverted transformation SDF-1.

While I agree that this would've made for a much more streamlined carrier, I'm betting that adding any more articulation to this thing would've made it collapse like a house of cards from a wayward glance. Plus, I just think the total absurdity of a land-carrier on tiny little wheels with a giant block of stuff on the back is charming in and of itself.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I got home from the grocery store to find my wife watching the 2007 movie on TV. I almost feel likeI walked in on her loving a hobo or something.

At least it wasn't ROTF :v:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
When the gently caress did GenerationRTS Jazz' torso become the second gunman of transformers, this entire discussion is insane :psyduck:

3 fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Nov 10, 2013

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

MEATY MARTHA posted:

Do sets count? Because if so then it's this glorious little team.

If not, then it's either Reveal the Shield Lugnut or RotF Skystalker.

:hfive: energon combiner team buddy. I don't care what people say, I love the hell out of Energon/Universe/ROTF Bruticus.

As for favorite ever... I'm gonna go with PRID Vehicon, by which I mean every last variant of that thing. It is a near-perfect marvel of engineering magic, and I can't help but crack a huge grin every time I transform it.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

therealjon_ posted:

There's a really nice looking 3P version of his IDW character coming from Perfect Effect.

He also has a gigantic gently caress off gun!

The best thing is his altmode: his own head! :haw:
It's designed to fit on G1 Fort Max so you can have recursive Maximi.

And also a goofy looking "tank."

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

The Taint Reaper posted:

I seem to be all caught up on Generations, I thought Double Dealer and Rhinox were out but it seems that only the new deluxes were released.

I got a shipping notification from HTS last night for Doubledealer, so it's a safe bet Rhinox is shipping concurrently. I'd say they'll probably hit shelves soonish, but I'll be damned if I'm going to wade into the nightmare world that is holiday toy shopping.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

GrimGypsy posted:

I really want to go hunting for them, but I can't fathom trying to hit a TRU or Target on the weekend this close to Christmas.

This wave is still expected to be floating around in January, right?

I picked them up at a Wally World today (sans goldbug, like I need another fukken bumblebee), $9.96 each too. North Texas area for reference, seems they're moving out at a pretty good clip.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Lepecard posted:

Quick question on the Skids/Crosscut mold:

Are those wrist guns removable?

Nope, they're geared so that when you lift one, the entire pair deploys.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
I just want an Obsidian that doesn't look like rear end or is an inexplicable headswap of a WWII fighter plane.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Blackheart posted:

Don't you talk poo poo about the Highbrow mold, Powerdive is fantastic :argh:

You misunderstand, I love that mold to bits. Doesn't really make sense for a legless future VTOL dude though.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Cosmooooooooos :dance:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Rythe posted:

Just got my Secret Santa presents from my mysterious Transformer goon.

I know I got a Starscream and a Springer, I think Starscream is from the Fall of Cybertron but not sure about the Springer. I am clueless about the tank guy, he has a sweet samurai vibe going on with him and a really neat hidden sword sheath in the tank turret. To top off the great Transformers I got that awesome Lego creator set and it is amazing I don't have that already, since my Lego collection is stupid big.

Thanks a million for the great toys, I really like the way Springer looks in his helicopter form, he will look great next to the Generations Springer.

Is there a archive of Transformers instructions? I have looked around and haven;t really found one, would be nice for the tank guy, he has a bit going on in the transforming parts.

The tank is ROTF Bludgeon, which is probably the most metal Transformers toy ever produced; the Springer is the "GDO" version, which were Asian-market toys that got brought over as TRU exclusives. Here's instructions for Bludgeon, IIRC there's a step to bring down the torso that requires excessive force (step 13 going by that manual) so watch out there.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
It would appear that the writer for the upcoming Windblade comic has inherited the rather unenviable job of unfucking Simon Furman's disastrous handling of Arcee and female Transformers in general. So far she seems to have a pretty good grasp on how catastrophically bad the whole Arcee thing is, hopefully the greater TF community at large will not be stupid about thi

Griffin73 posted:

I just hope this isn't going to have some kind of agenda-based theme behind it. I just want Cybetron-related stories, not leftist political commentary to creep into a comic book that I read to my son.
:allears:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Spiderdrake posted:

It's funny that we call it 'unenviable' even though it's a really awesome chance to change the brand, even in a small way, in a meaningful quarter.

Considering Hasbro's been making a move towards IDW being the "mainline" G1 continuity with the Generations pack-in comics and use of comic-based sculpts, I think this will be a great chance to finally excise the one really nasty part of IDW TF that really shouldn't have been there in the first place. I've got high hopes for this, just not for the inevitably dumb fan response.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Spiderdrake posted:

Somewhat off topic but that's an interesting thought - Those things in the ground were sparks. It was implied they construct bodies for sparks, but I think he only explicitly stated that for the sparks siphoned off the Matrix. I don't think Roberts addressed whether or not sparks have forged bodies or use protoforms, or even what protoforms represent in the Cybertronian life cycle - though they were referenced in the scavengers arc of MTMTE as existing in a segment that could basically be subtitled as 'Roberts drops a ton of hints'.

There are also no new sparks available and I think that was going to be addressed in why I say, it's time to get angry about Dark Cybertron wasting months of our time again!

MTME brings forth the idea that 'forged' cybertronians have both their sparks and bodies (the 'sentio metallico') birthed from Cybertron itself, which is why the idea that being forged makes you somehow inherently better exists; Ratchet is forged and therefore a better medic, because his hands were gifts from Primus himself, and not built by some plebe in a factory somewhere.

Which brings me to my point that Roberts et al have done nearly the impossible and created a believable ecosystem and society out of what is still, let's be honest here, a big commercial for children's toys. After all, the concept of a whole society of robots created whole cloth from the literal souls and living metal generated by their planet is one of the foundations of Transformers "mythology" but is also patently ridiculous when you think about it. But MTME and RID (and those two actually good books in the run-up to Chaos) take what was basically a paper-thin excuse to explain where all these robits come from, and turn it into really well done social commentary on essentially apartheid and state-sponsored eugenics.

Incidentally, this is why it rankles me every time I hear some neckbeard drone on about how "all I want is robot fights, keep politics out of this!" because Transformers as a franchise has fantastic potential as a vehicle for social and political commentary (see Terry's fantastic CineD threads on the Bay films), and this is why I really dig the post-war IDW stuff (and really kind of hate Dark Cybertron for bringing that schlocky dead universe garbage back). The franchise has historically been mostly an excuse to have two sides punch each other in the service of selling toys, but having the eternal toyetic war actually end and then have these big bombastic action heroes/villains have to sort through the mess to get their society going again is a loving ballsy move. In this, I believe MTME et al serve well as an optimistic counterpoint to the brutal nihilism of the Bay films (and are much easier to digest to boot).

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Rita Repulsa posted:

You sure Shockwave's not the dark cyclops?
His face is in the covenant of primus.

Or, you know, Whirl. The guy who assassinated the Terradore leader on a whim.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Simon Furman delivers a measured and well-thought-out response to Mairghread Scott and her views on Spotlight: Arceehahahaha gently caress no, he's a shitlord about it.

Simon Furman posted:

Generally, I stay out of Internet blurts, but when a fellow ‘professional’ chooses to air her views on my work quite so publicly I feel constrained to respond/defend myself (just as publicly)

Nice scarequotes. He also uses a TFW post of all things to defend himself because he apparently cannot articulate his own thoughts.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Revolver Bunker posted:

Are the TF comics work getting into? I've read a the few that came with the newest generation lined toys. I like the one that came with Skids and Thundercrakers was not bad. Are those actually from the running comics or one offs?

Echoing what Rita Repulsa said, you might also want to look into Issues #22 and #23 (Chaos Theory pt 1-2) of the previous ongoing. They're Roberts penned and set up a great deal of background for both Cybertronian society as well as the characters of both Optimus and Megatron. I'd recommend skipping the rest of the Chaos nonsense afterward though, unless you really need context for why the war is over.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

The Taint Reaper posted:

Wow Skids looks better than I thought. The Package made it look like he was going to use that lovely hollow dark blue plastic that Darkmount had, but it looks much nicer in that video. Also his vehicle mode looks to be the size of Original Classics Bumblebee and not the new tiny almost scout sized vehicle modes of the current bots.

Skids is fantastic, and is one of the few Transformers out there nearly as horribly beweaponed as Cybertron Defense Hot Shot. The very clear Milne influence is great too, I'm digging how Hasbro is starting to design toys based on the character's appearance in the comics rather than vice versa. Only niggle I have is that he's incredibly back-heavy, and it takes a lot of fiddling to get him to stand upright in a decent pose.

Some tips that the instructions aren't quite clear on: swing the ankles as far forward as you can, they'll snap in under the knees, you can fold out the 'toes' all the way forward, they'll click in, and don't forget to pull the shoulders all the way out, which will free up shoulder movement immensely.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
ThreeA casually reveals they picked up a TF license :aaaaa:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Knormal posted:

But fortunately for me I don't follow the comics so I can just ignore all that stuff.

You should probably follow the comics, you're missing out on a lot of great fiction.

I was gonna try for a big ol' effortpost, but Keldroc covered most of what I was gonna say pretty nicely. Humans need something to empathize with because it's very hard to make totally alien beings/objects compelling without a human element. Even experimental sci-fi about totally inscrutable things from beyond our imagination are still rooted in how people engage them; if 2001 was just a technical document about the monoliths and how they worked, it would be dull as gently caress. Science fiction (actually all fiction) works because it uses fantastical situations and concepts as a mirror toward more familiar ones. That's why the recent comics have worked so well, because they use a fundamentally ludicrous concept (robits that turn into other things) as a method for examining some pretty human conceits like social darwinism and apartheid.

But, as is so often the case, obsessive nerds don't really like mirrors for some reason! It's not uncommon for nerds to catastrophically miss the actual point of the fiction they profess to love while endlessly schematizing every single background detail and minutiae that pops up within canon; they're not looking for a compelling story, they just want a technical manual. Take Wookieepedia for example: no one in their right mind would ever tell you that the point of the Star Wars films was to demonstrate that the weird triangle-shaped spaceship in Luke's garage

quote:

was equipped with an ion drive[1] and a fully pressurized cockpit, allowing it to operate at trans-orbital altitudes

but nerds eat this poo poo up. There are literal volumes of totally inconsequential bullshit on that wiki about things that even the people who actually made the films probably didn't think about.

But science fiction (and all other fiction) isn't a technical manual for inconsequential nonsense about stuff like how big stompy robots have different faces from one another, it's a vehicle for examining ourselves. The process of empurata isn't what's important, it's the fact that "holy poo poo, here's a society that literally mutilates you if you don't adhere to the status quo, that's totally hosed up!" Sci-fi only works if you give the audience something to actually empathize with, ergo it's really dumb to say that Transformers are fundamentally genderless because no one can relate to that on a character level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

The Taint Reaper posted:

:siren: RANDOM SPECULATIVE THEORY :siren:
Cosmos' partner Payload doesn't seem like he was originally made for Cosmos due to not being able to attach anywhere on the figure like all the other partners in vehicle mode according to TFW2005.

:confused: