Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
can I talk about the comics? Specifically, are IDW planning to do super big TPBs that collect the whole seasons of MtMtE and RiD? By my reckoning there's about 12 TPBs at about £10 each that cover everything up to Dark Cybertron, so would prefer a collected version of everything, or am I going to have to trawl ebay to grab them on the cheap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I've just started a re-read of the entire IDW run, to get myself back up to speed for getting into MTMTE and RiD. Megatron: Origin suffers from some godawful colouring and a plot which starts off okay then seems to skip two issues before wrapping itself up in the most unsatisfying way possible. Stormbringer on the other hand is still fantasic, though Furman's dialogue in sections is... a bit poo poo to put it mildly.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Happy Fun Bollocks posted:

God drat it, Megatron.

no lie, I remember reading this in an annual when it was originally published, and was loving terrified. It must have been... 85 or 86?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Tag Plastic posted:

There was talk about Scrounge in The Smelting Pool a while back, which is probably the iconic child-distressing scene, but Victory! was a close second for me. loving Grimlock bisecting Megs then taking a Fusion Cannon down the throat, then skeletal murderbot Robo-Joy on top of that. The readers who get upset by MTMTE just haven't been properly tempered when young.

at the other end of the spectrum, here's Unicron with toilets

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Just finished re-reading All Hail Megatron. All of that cramming of previous story in the second half is really jarring, but the bits between Starscream and Megatron are really well handled. Not enough to even remotely recommend it to anyone though, the first six issues are such a slog

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

The only thing I liked in the while movie was Hound, Crosshairs and Drift chatting away for long periods, probably more in that movie than the Autobots chatted in the previous three

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Rhyno posted:

The first year or so of the IDW run isn't bad but they lost faith in Furman and cut his last arc into a bunch of character one shots so it has a pretty sloppy ending. Then All Hail Megatron starts which you should skip. Then the 30 some issue ongoing which is also not great. Pick up Last Stand of the Wreckers as prior to MTMTE it was the best TF comic ever.

LSOTW is excellent and should be read regardless. Of the Furman run, Stormbringer and Maximum Dinobots are probably his strongest work though I am partial to some of the Spotlights he did.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Time to see what all the fuss about

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

so that book I posted a picture of is the collection of the first 5 issues of MTMTE, the Death of Optimus Prime and the first six issues of RiD. I'm halfway through the first issue of MtMtE and OH MY loving GOD THIS IS THE GREATEST THING EVER. I'm just chuckling to myself on every page

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

IDW have put the hardcover of Phase 2 Volume 2 up for pre-order. Contains three Spotlights (Trailcutter, Hoist & Orion Pax), MtMtE 6-8, RiD 7-9 and the whole of Autocracy. Should be out mid August

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I hate that the hardcovers come out once a year. I also hate that I'll own Autocracy.

can't speak about Autocracy, but by the time this comes out they'll be nearly three years worth of issues behind. Maybe release the next one this time next year?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

The Taint Reaper posted:

I wish they would reboot the transformer movies to better match the comics.

I'd pay good money to see a big screen version of 'Last Stand Of The Wreckers'

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I've been watching the old G1 cartoons, and the only two sane and competent characters are Megatron & Prime, which is why I enjoyed Roberts' sitdown chats with the two in Chaos Theory so much. I'd like to imagine there's an old G1 script knocking about where they just sit and rant about their underlings being useless for half an hour

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Right, I'm wondering if any UK-based people can help me out here: I'm seeing First Aid, Blades, Rook and Streetwise available on Amazon for £15, but Hot Spot for £35 and Groove for £30, while Silverbolt is only £20 and Powerglide is £10 I think (most of the Stunticon and Aerialbot limbs are £15 too). Are Groove and Hot Spot not getting wide releases here, or are they just late?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Basically, we don't know. Hasbro UK have come out and said they're not getting Wave 2 of CW, but they've been wrong in the past about saying we're not getting stuff and then have it turn up on shelves. It's unknown about future waves too, annoyingly, so if you're seeing Wave 3 on Amazon UK, then snap them up. The Legends/scout class shouldn't be £30.

If you live in London, keep an eye on Forbidden Planet or Orbital Comics as they get them in.

Yeah, I'm getting the limbs as we speak and I'm a bit far away from London on that front. I'll just keep checking amazon for now

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Hot Spot dropped on Amazon to £25, Groove to £13, Rook, First Aid, Blades & Streetwise were £15 so Defensor here I come

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

UK peeps! Smyths has Wave 3 limbs for 11.99 each! And voyagers for 16.99! I just picked up all 4 limbs and Cyclonus (no Hot Spot :saddowns:) for £65, which isn't bad at all.

ah goddamnit! Well mine are on their way, though Hot Spot is back up to £40 on Amazon

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Up against their knock-off G1 equivalents. Blades is such a good figure, they all are. Hot Spot and Groove are coming tomorrow. Can't bloody wait

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Hot Spot and Groove arrived this morning, and man, Defensor is just a loving badass. Groove doesn't seem to sit quite right as the chest piece, but apart from that, it's just badass

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

CyRaptor posted:

Sins of the Wreckers, a five-issue follow-up to Last Stand of the Wreckers (!!!), written by Nick Roche. The cover art is out, looks like Roadbuster, Impactor and Verity are returning and we might finally get some follow-up to Springer's condition. Starts in November! Very exciting!!!

:swoon: I cannot wait for this

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

From James Robert's twitter. This is amazing

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Verity, Whirl, and ...?

from left to right I believer it's Rung, ?, Tailgate, Magnus, Whirl & Skids. Rung and Skids are based off their cover avatars

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/jroberts332/status/623993167864537088

Sounds like what's shown isn't the main story of the issue, or maybe it is. Bit premature to judge based on a three page spread preview

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

A bit more of a preview of the new issue of MtMtE, which... well, it doesn't explain all that much except that they're definitely being chased by a planet that apparently resembles Earth and the only signal they're receiving from it is a Transformers-esque version of the Cheers theme

http://www.newsarama.com/25337-tran...indblade-5.html

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Sockser posted:

Picked up Devastator today.

Nothing can prepare you for his loving size

He's leader Megs on leader Megs shoulders size. It's absurd.

wait, he's TWICE the size of a CW Defensor? That's... that's... what you said, absurd

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

OF COURSE HE WOULD HAVE A SKULL BELT BUCKLE. OF COURSE.

and a Decepticon logo on his walking stick, which he throws away when he realises he doesn't need it anymore...

ShaneMacGowansTeeth fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 29, 2015

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I've read the issue three times now, and this is the first issue I've bought that hasn't been a TPB (I'm still at issues 5 & 6 of MtMtE and RiD), but there's a lot to enjoy in the story. Cyclonus putting down Swerve then telling him that the entire crew was looking for him; the aforementioned bit about Megatron's walking stick; Nautica deciding to tickle Megatron; Skids' realisation about the nature of his friendship with Swerve; just everything about Swerve. I also picked up from the Wiki that in Swerve's appearance all the way back in the Chaos event at the end of the last on-going, he had been drawn with a metal patch over his left shoulder, which is some next level foreshadowing. I initially didn't believe it so I grabbed my copy of Chaos, flicked through, and yup, in the panel where they show everyone in the escape pod, there he is, with a patch on his shoulder.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

That's Rook damnit!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

3 posted:

Look at who's riding his shoulders :ssh:

he's so tiny I missed him :(

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Oscar was also in the right more often than his name would suggest.

One of MTMTE's biggest strengths was its depiction of the relationships between characters, but Roberts is asking me to care about a glut of new characters from some backwater colony. I don't feel properly introduced to these characters or their background, and I suspect he's George R R Martin-ing a bunch of new stuff instead of continuing old threads simply because it's easier.

a glut? there's three new crew members on the ship from backwater colonoy Camius, and one is Nautica who is awesome

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

more upcoming covers...

MtMtE 47 Sub Cover

MtMtE 47 cover proper

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Preview of MtMtE 44 is up. Looks like its DJD heavy and will involve the Necrobot

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Just bought the 'Remain In Light' collection because I'm a sucker and have basically bought about a dozen issues of out of sequence MtMtE episodes because I'm an idiot. But... goddamnit, I just want Getaway to die. Painfully. Slowly. I hate him. HATE HATE HATE HIM

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

Hundreds of thousands of violent murders is A-OK, but working for Prowl and getting in the way of Tailgate's stockholm syndrome turned boating accident is one sin fans will not forgive.

Never mind the fact Getaway spent months being tortured and experimented on.

don't care, I want Cyclonus to be happy, the big, grumpy, unable-to-articulate-feelings killing machine

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Prawn Salad posted:

Yes definitely.

Read all of it.

Also you should read "Last Stand of the Wreckers" also by James Roberts to find out what the hell that thing in the basement is.

Nick Roche sits quietly in the corner sobbing

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

well she was getting touchy-feely with him in the last issue

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I watched it, at around about 6 he's obviously drunk, and by 8 it's cringey

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Asphyxious posted:

Latest mtmte: alright? I guess. Not a bad issue. Just kind of unremarkable.

felt kind of like filler to me. I've basically caught up on pretty much everything now except Dark Cybertron and have convinced myself that Megatron is perpetuating the mother of all long cons and his change is just misdirection. But those last two pages? Maybe he's actually genuine

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

If Megratron or Optimus Prime are the leaders, any fiction with them cannot do anything but rehash. They'll stick around, of course, but IDW seems to at least want to try some new things, and Hasbro is letting them so far.

After all, in the toy bios, how many Autobot and Decepticon "leaders" were there that never got any love because to geewun Westerners, it's Optimus v. Megratron 24/7?

Early IDW was a rehash, but what I liked about Megatron Origin and the later arcs is the deeper examination of Megatron and why he became what he did and how Optmus was initially supportive of what he was saying... and how that in turn made them both what they became. Both Prime and Megatron wanted the exact same thing for the Cybertronian race and agreed how to achieve it but when Megatron saw nothing except a violent uprising as the way to achieve his aims there was that schism which turned into the war. That's never really been explored that deeply in the mythos as much as it has been now and I appreciate it giving depth to "two sides of robots fight to sell toys" that was lacking before

But I still get this feeling that Megatron's going to turn. On who, I don't know. Soundwave sent Ravage to spy on Megatron so how is he viewing what Ravage is showing him. Is Ravage showing him what's happening? How is Starscream dealing with it? It's a pretty cool time to be into this stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

oh no, I meant Origin, because to me anyway that's the first time we've ever seen Megatron going from normal to rebel leader which from what I remember of G1 wasn't explored all that deeply - and to be fair, I was 6,7 and 8 trying to read those comics so my memory is hazy. Chaos Theory and Elegant Chaos and the rest are written around Origin to have it subsequently make more sense whereas at the time, Origin felt off (also, I was never a fan of the colouring in it either)