Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Good GOD. MTMTE just keeps being amazing. Fuckin' Swerve and his My First Blaster! "Aww, you missed. Keep practising!" And the answer to "What's in the box?" Never in a mission years would I have seen that coming. It was genius. Okay, and the last page, I literally gasped, out loud and everything.
Anyone have specific in-head voices for the non-cartoon characters? For me, Swerve is Steve Buscemi and Brainstorm is Krieger from Archer. Not sure if we've discussed this before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Really I just want MTMTE: TAS. Face it, the following are huge reasons why MTMTE is so good: No Optimus. No Megatron. No Bumblebee. No Starscream (I say this as a huge Screamer fan btw). No humans. No Arcee. No Bumblebee (bears repeating).
And sure, the vivid art and fun story and the fact that every robot has a personality, but all that goes without saying. Transformers has gotten so loving bogged down with the idea that if they deviate from the standard formula they'll alienate the audience somehow. Uh, sure, kids are gonna wonder for a while where they went, but only because you've shoved them down everyone's face for the better part of the last decade. Kids are gonna laugh at Swerve, love the impetuous Rodimus as a leader, stick their tongue out at the Ship Dad that is Ultra Magnus, question Cyclonus' motives, etc. They'll pick up very easily that in addition to aliens (because I would shfit the focus a little bit to the planet-hopping on their adventure/quest) the enemies are Decepticons that don't realize the war is over, and Decepticons that don't care the war is over. Man, you throw a rogue Autobot in there and you've got a "don't judge people by what group they belong to, but individually" message.

I mean, is anyone gonna argue that MTMTE is the best TF fiction we've had since Beast Wars? Hell, I'll say for the record I think it's the best TF fiction ever. You tweak it to be a little more adventure-oriented in an episodic sense, and you've got a cartoon, man. Go back to REAL animation so there can be more than three characters on screen at once, too.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I actually watched it because, well, it's 5AM and I had nothing better to do, and that scene sounded interesting. First episode of Prime I've seen since... the 4th episode of season 1, maybe? And yeah, it wasn't bad. I still hate the poo poo out of Optimus every time he opens his mouth. On the plus side, I think there was like two lines of speech total from the kids, and only one from Bumblebee (insofar as you can call it a line). Guess I might actually have to watch the next episode, even though I'll probably never come around to actually liking the show. That's alright. We're not the target audience.

I don't like the characterization of Starscream being so whiny and cowering in front of Megatron all the time. loving referring to him as "Master", even. In my mind he's always been a defiant little snot who isn't afraid to talk poo poo, even if he knows he's gonna get beat for it.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Gammatron 64 posted:

For all you fuckers who are excited about Acid Storm, you better buy 10 of him and army build him, because that green bastard is going to clog shelves forever.

I loving hope so; I've seen ONE Masterpiece at retail- a Grimlock at a TRU and I don't like Grimlock enough to justify buying a Masterpiece of him. But I want an MP Seeker (the mold is different than the original MP Starscream, isn't it? Didn't they fix a few things or something?) and I really don't care which. I'd buy a Thundercracker if I found one, but I'll be fine with an Acid Storm. An MP Seeker, Blitzwing, and Sandstorm are the figures I'd actually buy right now if I saw them in person. Soundwave, too, but I know I'll never see that one in person. I don't often end up in places that sell toys as it is.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

The Goon posted:

I just got Voyager Blitzwing, and man his shoulders :

Anyone know a good fix for them that doesn't involve hours of work with a dremel?

Two squares of styrene. It's in this thread somewhere.

And optimist prime, I'm gonna confirm for you that you are indeed right on all counts. If Tarantulas somehow escaped into current fiction- WORMHOLES, I don't care- I'd just be giddy as all hell.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

RaspberryCommie posted:

Depends on the series. I know most of us would love a MTMTE series, but it lacks Optimus, Megatron, Starscream and Bumblebee, so Hasbro probably won't be interested. RiD has the latter three, but kids won't be interested in politics.

Or some sort of bullshit where they interject those characters into MTMTE at the expense of Rodimus, Overlord, Cyclonus, and SWERVE, in that order. Optimus as the infallible Christ/leader, Megatron as the dirty secret hidden in a cell, Starscream as the Recovering Decepticon, and Bumblebee because gosh kids love Bumblebee- we'll just replace Swerve's hilarious lines with some beep boops and radio noises and it'll be perfect!

gently caress me, I just made myself a bit nauseous.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Man that Omega Supreme is awesome, and I need instructions for that little Megatron. I gave up on the Lego thread when it became 99% about those stupid blindpack minifigures.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Sentinel Red posted:

Fun story on James Roberts' Twitter about getting the Spanish Inquisition at Canadian customs, who quizzed him about Energon Cubes and asked him to explain the Matrix in detail. If I didn't know better, I'd say it was one of you lot loving with him. Either way, your entry into the country depending on your knowledge of the goddamn Autobot Matrix of Leadership is gloriously ridiculous.

Can you link the account? I swear I've just looked at three or four different wrong James Robertses and gave up.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

SpikeMcclane posted:

I have to hand it to IDW Megatron, if he gets beat in a stand up fight bad enough to lose consciousness, he's waking up in a new body because the old one is shredded. I think there was even a joke about it in the spotlight, where he wakes up and pretty much goes "Waking up? Yep, new body. Bipedal and with a big arm cannon, good."

I had to check. Exact quote:
"When one is reformatted (in a way seemingly unique to our race), one never knows the situation into which one awakens. The first thing to do is establish what elements from your previous form are carried over to the next.
Arms, two: check.
Legs, two: check.
Head, one: check.
Limb-mounted weapon with civilization-threatening levels of destructive capability: check.
Hate: check.
Rage: check.
So far, so similar."

I love it. I haven't read MTMTE since it started crossing over. Think they'll recap Dark Cybertron enough that I won't be completely lost when I jump back in?

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I just blazed through Dark Cybertron in two sittings and I actually enjoyed it! That's the problem with comics, though, isn't it? You show me a comic that's NOT a better read at your own pace rather than 22 pages a month or every two weeks. I hadn't been reading RiD though, so why did Bumblebee and Starscream get new bodies? Just 'cause? Completely thrilled that said little yellow dinkus got himself a brand new gaping chest-hole, though, and if RiD becomes a Prime-and-Starscream led comic now, I might start picking it up, though anyone who's looking more forward to that than Rodimus-and-Megs on MTMTE (this is happening, right? Thought I saw a teaser or something) is nuts. I just hope Megs is genuine in his change of heart, though, because that even beats out good-guy Magneto for most unexpected and welcome comics side-change ever.

In short, that facebook group is SERIOUSLY hosed in the head.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Xenomrph posted:

You crazy, bro. Hound looks great, and Transformers have had teeth since forever.

Full-on nostalgia explosion: I had that comic that "teeth.jpg" was on the cover of. In fact it may have been the only comic I had as a child, and I don't know where it came from or what happened to it. It was 90s as HELL.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Did anyone else with the original Snarl have the problem where the tabs that keep his dino-feet covering his spring-loaded robo-fists break off just by looking at them? I'm pretty sure both mine were gone within a week of having him as a 6yo or whatever. I want the hell out of those fun-colored dinobots but I don't think I'd ever allow myself to touch them more than the legally-required once-yearly transformation.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I'm catching up on the last mtmte and noticed "EQUAL RIGHTS FOR KNOCKOFFS" written in Megatron's jail cell. These comics are about a million times better than the movies.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

RaspberryCommie posted:

I remember hearing once that Peter Cullen was asked to portray Optimus Prime on some comedy show (wanna say either Family Guy or Robot Chicken) but he turned them down saying that he wanted to preserve the integrity of the character.

And then he goes and does Bayformers.

What's the Krusty the Clown quote? "They drove a dump truck of money up to my house! I'm not made of stone!"

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Slog looks way better without his weapons. One-color bumpy plastic blobs do not convincing weapons make. But he looks pretty loving cool in robot mode, like a big metal samurai. First AoE toy I've seen that I thought I might buy, but still won't because I all but stopped buying toys. I still admire a unique transformation though, and the way the sides of the dino become the legs of the robot is very rad.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Ugh. Alternate timeline. People dying that we know won't be dead "for real" unless Roberts has decided he's gonna be the GRRM of TF comics.
Like everyone who reads a lot of Marvel and especially X-Men, I am so sick of alt. timelines and terrible futures that I get almost a physical response of revulsion.
I did really want the DJD back though, so there's at least that.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
When Bumblebee comes back, I will pull my head off, Optimus style, and throw it out a window.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Forgive me if this has been posted recently or whatever: This talk of the DJD made me reread their issues and in MTMTE#8, when the Necrobot finally logs Flywheels' death "18 months later" and the list's got him after Ultra Magnus, Hound, Chromedome, and Drift. Well, it's been 24 months in Earth time but y'know, pretty close. Thought that was cool.

edit: And where the gently caress is 3rd party Tarn?

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
If I may speak about good comics again: I reread Shadowplay today, and it is just chock full of great moments: The final reveal of Shockwave, Tailgate not knowing that Orion Pax is Optimus Prime, any time Swerve opens his mouth. One thing that was kinda unintentionally funny is that in the second issue, The Senator That Will Be Revealed As Having Been Shockwave is colored completely different than in the first issue, and then in the third one, Orion makes a crack at how often Shockwave changes his paint job. Good save, guys.

Also, a theory: While Rung is incapacitated, Rewind mentions that he's seen Rung a million times in his visual records, like the dude's everywhere. So I posit that there's a whole bunch of him that combine to form something actually useful. It would explain the name, too, that he's "one rung of a ladder" so to speak.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Niiice!

I really wanna see what Helex and Tesarus have for alt-modes. Or if they're basically their robot modes, on treads, with heads hidden. That would be acceptable.

Ooh! And what's left of the Scavengers! Hope they all show up, if K-class dude does.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Epilogue 1: EEEEEEEEEEE!
Epilogue 2: AAAAAAAAAAAH!

I hope you enjoyed our sound-by-sound recap of the end of this issue of MTMTE.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I like non-Hulk-sounding Grimlock. No idea how they intend on him fitting into the RID concept. Maybe he'll just be flagrantly whogivesafuck about it.

That animation is pretty uggo, though, most noticeably on the humans. I won't be watching it anyway, though. I realized two episodes into Prime that these shows just aren't for me. Luckily, the comics totally are.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

The Taint Reaper posted:

He might as well be Thunderclash then.

I would kill for a new Thunderclash. I'm scared the feet on mine will explode, and the ratchet on his monohip is so loose he looks depressed in truck mode and has to be carefully balanced in robot mode.
Hell, I want them to remake that whole sub-line (what were they called? Turbomasters?). I'm willing to bet a good 60% of existing Flash figures are double-amputees. And Boss is basically the loving Batmobile.

Did anyone else here have these guys? I know the distribution on them was hosed.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Broke down and bought Jetfire 'cause the last time I bought a Transformer was in July.

He's so god damned SWOOSHY! And so... Canadian in colouration!

Shame about his goddamn hands.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

DoctorWhat posted:

So, everyone reads Whirl's dialogue in Bender's voice, right? It's not just me?

Close. Whirl's the crazy orange robot from Futurama who does the stabbings.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I just caught up with MTMTE, and man, that conversation between Orion and Megs over the... well, I guess I have to call it a time phone... was so good. This has got to be the best Transformers media ever.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Looking at the box, it strikes me as odd that they evidently have the trademark for "Overbite" but not "Nautilator". I thought the only guys with the faction-prefix treatment were the guys with nouns for names, like Blaster and Jazz.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Wait, what was the obvious line from AoE that Cullen didn't want to say? I didn't see the movie because I am not a masochist.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I like to appreciate a cool toy I know I'll never buy because of Reasons. On the other hand, I don't want to spend a half an hour looking at it, nor do I give a poo poo about the box. Thus, Thew is rad. He's the opposite of the standard "white background and hands and monotonous voice and I refuse to edit out all the gently caress ups I make transforming it" reviewer. Tell Swoop good parts!!!

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
God drat, for once I'm glad I live in the middle of nowhere Canada where I'll be lucky to find ONE of the Transformers I want in-store. I didn't have too many TFs as a kid but I had the Constructicons (motherfuckin garage sale find of the year as like a 7 year old) and I WILL buy that retardedly huge and expensive Devastator if I see it on the shelf. Same with Magnus, Thundercracker, Cyclonus, Motormaster, the shiny Megatron with the garbage red cylinder shoulders... I said god drat!

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Does anyone know of a book or online interview, etc. where a designer explains the process of how a transformer goes from idea (or mandate) to product? Like what programs they use and such? I used to make my own out of Lego all the time, and now that I know a thing or two about 3d modeling and prototyping I'm trying to create one in my downtime. Right now I'm making a leg in Solidworks without knowing anything except how I want it to fold up because it's Friday and I have nothing better to do at work.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Too cool. How the hell do I get to be the guy who turns a sketch into an assembly model? I literally spent 7 hours today and all ive got to show for it is a leg that collapses into itself. That's what happens when you don't have an alt mode in mind.

Also I will totally buy Thundercracker if I see it on shelves, and it's not tons more than I got Jetfire for. I love that mold.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Phy posted:

Good evening, and welcome to CBC news, Cybertron Broadcasting Corporation. I'm Peter Spacebridge.

Oh god I just cracked up on the bus. But if you're looking to get into comedy, "Canadian Transformers fans" is a hell of a niche audience.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Gammatron 64 posted:

G1 Thunderclash also has GPS. I know because I have one.

Fortunately it's just the feet, the gun, and his base's massive cannon, as far as I can remember, and none of them should ever be under any stress at all. I've never had any GPS problems, but mine's currently stored in a Schrodinger's Moving Box with most of my other TFs at my parents' house. I'm scared to open it.

When in the poo poo will we get a new Thunderclash, damnit? And I don't want a CW Optimus repaint 'cause Optimus looks like a total doof-rear end despite Motormaster looking pretty cool. I think it's all in the chest. Clash never had a windowchest so maybe a Motormaster repaint with a new head? Anyway my point is I'd buy a new Thunderclash in a heartbeat, and since MTMTE has established him as the coolest Transformer in the galaxy, I'm amazed he's not been announced as a new figure yet.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I never got into the Beast Wars figures because I don't like "Arms become arms, legs become legs" or "mostly/completely unposeable animal" and I've always been under the impression most of the line falls between those two. Kind of has to, or else you'd be getting into prohibitively complex figures. I'd love to see some good figures that don't fall into those categories, if there's a BW fan that feels like effortposting for me.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Hey when does RID/Transformers the Eponymous Comic start into Combiner Wars stuff?
Follow-up: is it any good? I tried continuing with RID after Dark Energon but got bored quickly and gave up.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Blackheart posted:

What else? poo poo, we could get voyager Tarn,

Dear dude that works at Hasbro that posts here:
I'm willing to trade my soul for voyager Tarn and the rest of the DJD. If Hasbro does that sort of trade.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Are those clamshell chest-reveal pieces on Motormaster and OP removable without damaging the figure? I kinda hate them in open AND closed configuration.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Phy posted:

What the poo poo?

*checks the previews*

What the poo poo?

Oh my god. Fantastic. The only thing better than the DJD on their own is the DJD with their sassy den-mother.

Also I read Tarn with Bob Ross' voice. This, I feel, increases my enjoyment of the comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Robot Style posted:

Is it just me, or does Galvatronus' crown, nipple vents, and cockpit chest look suspiciously like it's going to end up as a Starscream somewhere down the line?

I suppose it could be King Cybertron Starscream but I really doubt it. I wouldn't hate seeing Air Raid/Fireflight/Skydive repainted as Seekers if we're doing "poo poo that'll never appear in fiction". They'd be good limbs for Galvatronus. I only plan on buying a hodgepodge of CW figs [Skydive, all Stunticons minus the boring white one (watch someone call this heresy for some reason), that guy from Defensor with the Soviet hat] so I don't care if everyone has a complete team but I know there's folks that do.

The Taint Reaper posted:

I like that Store exclusives are happening.

The Worst Opinion. gently caress store exclusives. All I've got is a Wal-Mart and a lovely TRU.