Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Iced Cocoa posted:

In regard of who gets what armor/title, I remember in the decepticon issue, at the end, that deathbot comes carrying a list of the dead he has visited. I can't remember all the names, but Ultra Magnus and Drift were on that list (it was 18 months later kind of thing)

How does that factor into those theories?
The full list is at the end of MTMTE08 and it's Hound, Chromedome, Dipstick, Drift, Ultra Magnus, Flywheels. However he doesn't really tell us the Necrobot is infallible or maybe he just investigates each supposed death, so I'm not really sure.

On that note I was really surprised upon rereading the last couple MTMTE that Roberts kinda revisited the hinted at Optimus is a false Prime thing, while Rodimus is in fact a real one, or who knows what Roberts is saying about the matrix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Sentinel Red posted:

Basically, it needs to come out yesterday.
God I hate the ibooks previews, since they're two weeks off and just argh.

Also it's a little weird since the story Cyclonus told had Dai Atlas being part of then Nova's inner circle when they met Omega Supreme in the Crystal city. Meaning he should know Cyclonus, or the whole scene is just written a little weird.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Yeah, but didn't Rung lose his head and live? I'm not insisting he IS alive, mind you, I just think these Cybertronians are pretty hard to outright kill.
Ratchet does mention right after that Pharma was called away right after bisecting Ambulon, so it's possible Tyrest felt bad and decided to save him. Tyrest seems really torn up inside.

It's also sort of a big theme in this comic since MTMTE tries to cover for some of the absurd resurrections in the IDW canon. I like it, though, I honestly prefer if the Transformers are ridiculously durable. Kinda ties back to why I find Furman kinda dopey even at his best.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

But Rattrap was already a Not All Good Guys example. He felt way closer to a Predacon than a stuffed shirt ridiculous Maximal - He was a realist, a pragmatist and yeah he was a bit of a racist. He wasn't all gungho and he bordered most of the time on insubordinate.

And yeah I still don't understand the point of forcing beloved non-G1 characters into a G1 canon if you're just going to write whatever you want with them.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Blackheart posted:

It's pretty silly and utterly unnecessary but it still doesn't top "hey how 'bout we all make Predakings"
I deeply desire to see a picture of like, Peaugh or someone doing the lemon holding pose with all the Predakings.

And making a Metroplex over a Trypticon (which would sell to people who have Metroplexes, as opposed to the inverse) really is a shame.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Gammatron 64 posted:

Michael Bay, Justin Bieber and Jersey Shore are evidence that we need to nuke ourselves and start over.
Dude, can we not do the depressing ages old song and dance about the plebes, in the animated robots thread?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Gammatron 64 posted:

I was kidding. I don't seriously plan to resurrect Gozer the Gozerian and re-enact the plot of Ghostbusters.

I kinda wish I didn't have to explain that, though.
Just as I didn't wish for an entire marshmallow man of irony.

And drat that Tyrest cover is freaky. I am glad though that what he said in the earlier issue was already contradicted in the preview.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Gammatron 64 posted:

That said, if you criticize anything James Roberts does, the fandom has a tendency to pounce on you immediately. I love 95% of his comic immensely and recommend it to everyone but if I have a tiny nitpick like "Eh, I dunno how I feel about an evil Star Saber" people are like "BWAAAAAH HOW DARE YOU QUESTION HIM?!?!"
Yeah, like a year ago you could barely even get people to discuss the comics and now his works at sacrosanct. Even talking about how you appreciate how he's used ideas from AHM and the ongoing gets replies like "gently caress off Costa" on /co/.

Granted this isn't exclusive to the TF comic fandom. Read some of the posts about Hickman's recent output and it's amazingly binary.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Blackheart posted:

It' supposed to be (G1) Ironfist, who used the nickname "fisitron" in the comics (I think).
It was his pen name since what he was writing about wasn't precisely kosher with high command or something.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The Dinobots are one of the few groups of Transformers that might appreciate being made into movieverse, since they're all jagged and metallic to begin with. Unfortunately the design cues they'd appreciate are on the Decepticon side so who knows what they're going to end up looking like.

Phy posted:

Going back over MTMTE and I cannot get Brandon Keener's voice out of my head for Cyclonus. Not just because he's a bro, but because his upper mandible has been drawn so very, very Turian-ish.
That's a really solid voice choice.

On that note I am really hoping Cyclonus beats down Star Sabre, given the shot of him quite angry at Dai Atlas' death but unfortunately I think Roberts wasted too much of the five issues to give that any real time :( And then we're off to Dark Cybertron, toot toot. (Admittedly a real IDW crossover is way more exciting than the shoveled poo poo the Big 2 books produce)

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Knormal posted:

I don't follow the comics, but I'll assume he doesn't turn into a tank in that.

I can't even tell if something this obvious counts as irony. Can the TFCC perceive irony, or are they like, that's a smell right?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

Am I allowed to go if I tell people they're being embarrassments to humanity?
Joking aside I think you'll be legitimately disappointed if you hit tfcon expecting a proper freakshow. The con was very laid back and most of the people were normal looking.

You'd be better off going to a magic tournament, or just a walmart in that bizarre american state you half-live in, if you're looking for the shame of humanity.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Blackheart posted:

For a lot of people outside the US it's pretty much the only way to get him for sure.
I've bought 90% of my robots through people on this forum so I'm always kinda baffled by that one.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The Rage posted:

Do all the Spotlights end as abruptly and shittily?
Not really sure what was bad about that ending, but no most of the more recent ones are a bit more punchy shooty less introspective.

The older spotlights were part of the bigger storyline and were pretty hit or miss.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Blackheart posted:

So I just watched Predacons Rising, I really liked it. Optimus monologues like a motherfucker though but that's no surprise. The ending was a pretty neat twist in that Optimus "dies" and Megatron lives. Knockout is an Autobot.
All of Autobot Knockout's lines were fantastic, and they did a bunch of excellent visual gags.

The monologuing was beyond obnoxious. It's worse than all the monologues through the totality of the show summed together. Oy.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Blackheart posted:

Speaking of BH I hope I can get my mitts on Prowl and that Black/Gold/Blue Bumblebee, they look pretty rad. Also hope the Predacons rising subline somehow shows up here, those are target exclusives in the US, right?
You're from where? They're exclusive to other stores in other countries, I believe. Might see them.

Man on that note it really saddens me they're never going to do a different character repaint of the BH Arcee. I like the mold, but I don't really want two Arcees.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Algae Magnet posted:

Are there any comics out there that cover the exploits of The Scavangers and Grimlock? Because I'll be damned if that rag tag band of misfits havn't found a place in my heart.
No, though iirc it has been hinted they play a role in the upcoming crossover.

quote:

Also, silly question, why the gently caress did they rebuild Overlord with drill fingers?
It's kind of a really dumb plothole so no not really.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

RaspberryCommie posted:

I'm never gonna get a Soundwave.
I'm not advising anyone to make a different selection based on their spending preferences but I seriously don't think you should fret - I was saying to hamster at tfcon, I think TRU/Hasbro have figured out how big an item this one is and will stock properly.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

GD_American posted:

when's #21 coming out?
Apparently next week, I think?

I thought we were due for RID but maybe I missed it.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I'm kinda shocked at how star sabre almost sounds like he's going into satire territory.

Unrelated but on the topic of Abominus - are the last couple figures short run and\or cut off by being end of line? Basically is the gift set the best idea for finishing him cheaply even if I'm not really big on the translucent deco? And what did people think about the combined form in hand anyway?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Thrilling Thirty is like half done and most of what remains is out for the holiday quarter then the long night begins.

PriNcessofDarXness posted:

Thread content: What's the status of the Wreckers? Are they coming back in IDWverse? I swear, I saw mention of them somewhere recently.
Springer is in a coma, Roadbuster is guarding him. They are the only "actual" Wreckers still in the group, with Roadbuster kicking out Whirl for trying to euthanize Springer.

Perceptor, Whirl and Sandstorm are on the lost light - Hyperion is dead, so is another ex-wrecker on the LL. There's another I'm forgetting.

Broadside is on Cybertron, Scoop is there as well and imprisoned for crimes Rattrap pinned on him.

Impactor and Guzzle are off flying around murdering 'cons. So basically there's no Wreckers at the moment and I think Springer coming back isn't planned for Dark Cybertron. Maybe in season 2 of MTMTE.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

GD_American posted:

Botcon exclusive to end all Botcon exclusives. A six Titan set, each with a different head sculpt, costing a cool 1500 bucks.

It will elicit glorious rage, and sell out completely.
Why would anyone rage? It's like what, x5 the price and x500 superior to the endless shitshow of shattered glass "headband sold separately" credit card thief robots they've put out the last couple years?

Wait, is it x3 or x5? I can't remember how much botcon stuff is, other than "ah ha third party price for nothing worth it"

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

And not one of them is the binary gun, despite what people say.
I can't tell if you're making a joke about Skids' memory but here's a better comparison shot:

He has wrist guns, I guess, and they look attached to it in the more recent shot. Also I think the other gun is based on his G1 gun? It looks pretty similar anyway.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Podges posted:

Possibly the first weekend of November, was trying to avoid clashing with Thought Bubble.

In other robot news, Diamond didn't pack our copies of MTMTE #21 into our delivery this week. :argh:
What is Thoughtbubble in this context?

Does RID ship tomorrow as well, is that why we just got slammed with previews?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Yeah it was implied if you're exposed to the "first flash" you die, but then again that was millions of years ago so maybe they fixed it or something. I assume medical care in underground pits wasn't exactly the best in senate era cybertron.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

DoctorWhat posted:

Brainstorm's been established as having been constructed Cold, right? Because otherwise that theory seems dubious. I think he was, though.
Yes, he was afflicted by the kill switch. Having a green spark does not make you a phase sixer and it's likely he's doing something far weirder. Kinda weird that's what people got out of the whole dumb Overlord flashback thing.

That reminds me, I really appreciated that Roberts really hammered home the point that forged can be just as evil, if not more, than other Autobots. Pharma was/is straight hosed up. Poor First Aid, though.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

RaspberryCommie posted:

Well yeah, it doesn't. But aren't point one percenters the only ones who survive the process that turns them into a phase sixer?
There's a small group of point one percenters that can undertake the procedure, yeah. I think when Magnus defined a difference between load bearer and uh, high impact or something I don't have the issue in front of me, Roberts was hinting at the differences.

It also requires Rossum and the material used to make them and does not technically make phase sixers (though that's just me wishing Roberts would give the enhanced 'cons a better name, since "phase sixers" is a reference to the group that followed the warriors elite). And besides, I don't think you fuse your spark with other sparks to become a different kind of spark. I think we're going to see Brainstorm make something not yet in IDW canon.

Keldroc posted:

BBTS put up Rhinox and Doubledealer for preorder, listing them as expected in November, so it looks like we're not facing a Q4 drought after all.
The pattern of "promise saturation Q1, stuff shows up for the holidays" has repeated every year in some manner or the other.

Of course BBTS can say whatever.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

MB13 posted:

To be fair, this is BSS. If the book has been released, then spoilers are fair game.
The BSS spoiler rule is (I presume) set the way it is because most threads follow the comics exclusively and day of. Here, you have a fair number of posters who only read trades and want to read the thread for other reasons in the meantime. So using spoiler tags here is a way to be polite to that group of trade readers. So yeah, it isn't against the rules, but no reason to not be nice. We're all buddies here, right?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Gammatron 64 posted:

I thought these guys were dead. In fact, I expected half of the cast to die in this one. Often times I can predict where a story is going, but Roberts managed to seriously surprise me!
Really, I was 100% certain Magnus wasn't dead at any point in this. I'm surprised at the Tailgate resolution, though, but he's been nailing Tailgate so well as he goes.

I am also willing to straight up bet: Overlord and Rewind are not dead, Pipes is dead though. I think Roberts is really keen on the whole "Cybertronians are hard to kill" angle and honestly that's the best. I've said it before, but censorship mandated or whatever, that really worked in the original G1 cartoon. The transformers felt tough and not vulnerable like Furman's parade of bodies in the comics.

Also I think Dark Cybertron will be worth it. I mean seriously, look at the covers. And remember, Roberts is co-writing all the RID stuff too, so there's going to be hints and clues to upcoming poo poo in MTMTE in RID. Frankly I think IDW is going to show how to do a real crossover with some real meaty impact here.

edit: Dark Cybertron has a #1 issue but I believe otherwise runs in parts from RID to MTMTE and vice versa for its runtime

Spiderdrake fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 28, 2013

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The problem with Headmasters has been discussed to death. If the play pattern involves something crucial which can be lost by the end user, Hasbro is pretty reluctant to return to that gimmick. It's the one area we may never see a Hasbro version of again.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The phase sixers were not introduced as being able to take on civilizations, they were introduced as capable of taking on civilizations in phase six. Phase six is after the 'cons have extracted nearly everything of value from a planet after plummeting its civilization into massive civil war. It's also sort of implied by Overlord that the Autobots don't properly assess dealing with him - They just sort of run in and smash into phase sixers. I think given how Sixshot (who is supposedly Overlord's better, especially since he can't run out of energon) lost to a titan almost instantly but survived a combiner could probably take a phase sixer on. Honestly they seem more suited to individual combat and their missions because of endurance and stamina, not destructive potential.

Xenomrph posted:

Wasn't one of the Phase Sixers taken out by the DJD in MTMTE? Black Shadow, or something?
Yeah, it's been implied that the DJD have been forced to put down several of the warriors elite, with Black Shadow being the last. Sixshot is apparently still out there though - I kinda get the feeling Megatron is portrayed as reluctant to lean on phase sixers/warriors elite past the apex of the war, so maybe that cleans up the plothole.

edit: Man rereading issue 14 where Overlord's origins are discussed has a bit where Chromedome discussed lobotomizing "high risk individuals" to control their urges while Pharma is in the shot. We all knew what he meant but daaaaamn did Roberts really lay that one in.

Spiderdrake fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 29, 2013

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

BizarroAzrael posted:

A Magic: The Gathering reference? The second one has coloured circles arranged in the sequenced used by the colours of mana.
It isn't, it's a reference to the guiding hand as discussed in the annual.

Skids was possibly speaking to one of their sparks or sometimes.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Geez, I think this will be my first MP. What's the turnaround on MPs going from announcement to being re-released by Hasbro in the US? 12+ months at least, right?

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Well I'm up for that. Could this be the long-awaited first UM headsculpt that's not terrible?
Are we doing the thing where a head sculpt too far from the base doesn't count?

Cuz I can get behind that, but the Gens UM has a nice sculpt.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I don't know, a true UM would be pretty cool. I kinda like the idea of getting a MP-10 anyway though so I'm really satisfied with the idea.

Doesn't the MP-10 mold have a matrix slot? I wonder...

therealjon_ posted:

At least, also gotta hope Hasbro decides to release it.
Do they traditionally not? I was under the impression the MPs we haven't gotten had very specific reasons. ie, is gun and licensing?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

So, interesting note for our thread's namesake (So to speak) - Mike Costa penned a book Marvel published this week.

Not to get anyone upset since I doubt he's going anywhere for a long time, but if Costa can write an X-book I think Roberts is going to end up there eventually too.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Yeah it's not like MTMTE can spoil the ending or something. You kinda miss out on some of the nuances of the Overlord mini-arc, but then those are easily the worst issues in MTMTE's run so far so anyway.

That being said IDW Transformers is probably the best canon running right now for picking up and seeding threads throughout it's history. Dark Cybertron is knee deep in Furman ideas for one.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Gammatron 64 posted:

That's so much kibble, that half of the entire robot is kibble. You could form a whole extra guy with all that kibble.
There's so much kibble you don't even notice half the kibble at first. Kibble hiding behind kibble and then there's MORE kibble.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Kibble aside, is it just me or does that robot mode not even try to make Prime look just even a bit heroic? He looks far more like he's out for blood, usually they try to pretend he's just another kindly old prime. Or maybe I'm too influenced by the CD thread.
I'm not seeing that at all, with the way he's posed he looks like Sentinel Prime to me wearing a bunch of Optimus kibble and there's so much of it, it's heavy, so he's really tired.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Veg posted:

Hahaha. Mtmte ruled.

Thunderclash owns. Rung owns. Whirl reigniting another milion year war. Issue owned.
Totally owned.

Also something about the art made me hanker for pictures of the UM masterpiece. God, please be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Super 3 posted:

So where I can get details on what happened between Wreckers and Death of Prime?
you can look it up on tfwiki or you can ask for details in the thread, but most of it isn't really worth reading - Though I actually thought Police Action was really well written and nailed Prowl's character better than anywhere else in IDW. Also has a great Jazz moment.

You should try to secure a copy of I think 22-23, which flashes back to how Megatron decided on violence in his revolution though. It frames much of the later stories.