Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Thordain posted:

So I saw this thread and after reading the OP I decided to try my first transformers comics in about 10 years by getting the first volume of MTMTE. Two days later I've read the first three volumes and Last Stand of the Wreckers. Now I remember why I think robots are so cool.

Now you have to go out and buy a Springer and a Trailbreakercutter. There's no way around it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Thordain posted:

So I saw this thread and after reading the OP I decided to try my first transformers comics in about 10 years by getting the first volume of MTMTE. Two days later I've read the first three volumes and Last Stand of the Wreckers. Now I remember why I think robots are so cool.

Welcome!

Geez, we've actually got a few new posters since Terry rebooted the thread. Guess it really was time.

Peter Bazooka
Sep 29, 2005

This isn’t really anything I think I like.

Lepecard posted:

So, I know i'm extremely late to the party but I just finally got to read The Last Stand of the Wreckers. I really enjoyed it!

Before this I think the last Transformers comics i've read were Dreamwave's Transformers/Gijoe and Micromasters. I didn't really care for those unfortunately.

Now i'm about to dive in to IDW's MTMTE so soon i'll be able to know what people are talking about!

This is almost the exact same way I got back into Transformers comics and I'd really recommend starting with the death of Optimus Prime one shot and reading Robots in Disguise as well. It's not as hyped as MTMTE but it's still pretty good.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

RID has been better than MTMTE some months here or there and they've both turned into surprisingly daring books. MTMTE has kinda grated on me the last couple months (and I'll spoil since people aren't up to date) A) Overlord is aggressively boring and B) Roberts is playing the long game and adding mysteries on top of mysteries while resolving stuff from more than a year back, which is good but frustratingly slow. All those hints in LSTOW about Tyrest are finally coming to a head and ARRRRGGHHH while RID has been really solid, I was pleased with the last arc's resolution and I can forgive the needless "write in this fan favorite only to write them out of character because eh".

Also I think solicits said the two books are going to run back together for Dark Cybertron, right?

Spiderdrake fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 15, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you're talking about Star Sabre, did he really even have a distinct character?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Captain Invictus posted:

If you're talking about Star Sabre, did he really even have a distinct character?
Oh no, the Star Sabre/Magnus reveal is loving awesome I mean Skybyte and Rattrap.

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

Skybyte and Rattrap

Speaking of: what are the odds of these two being in the Generations lineup next year? The last left-field addition to the RID roster was Waspinator, and, well...

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I don't remember Rattrap even showing up in RID. Maybe he did, and I just forgot.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Gammatron 64 posted:

I don't remember Rattrap even showing up in RID. Maybe he did, and I just forgot.

I forget the issue numbers, but he did. He's massively out of character and essentially Starscream's traitorous new henchman

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

No Your Other Left posted:

I forget the issue numbers, but he did. He's massively out of character and essentially Starscream's traitorous new henchman

Whaaaat the fuuuuccckkk?

And for the record, while I love MTMTE, I don't care for the new Star Saber, either. Sure, in the anime he had like, zero personality, but having him go from Mr. Goody Two-shoes to genocidal religious maniac is quite a 180. Star Saber is a cool design and I wish he could be a good guy. :(

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gammatron 64 posted:

Whaaaat the fuuuuccckkk?

And for the record, while I love MTMTE, I don't care for the new Star Saber, either. Sure, in the anime he had like, zero personality, but having him go from Mr. Goody Two-shoes to genocidal religious maniac is quite a 180. Star Saber is a cool design and I wish he could be a good guy. :(

For 1, IDW isn't Japanese cartoon continuity. Though most characters adhere pretty closely to some version of G1. For two, I've reconciled it to myself: Star Saber's still all about the Burning Justice. It's just, now it's something more like witch-burning justice.

Nilryna
Jan 2, 2004

=^o^=

Keldroc posted:

Actually even as someone who isn't much of a Combaticon fan, that is probably the best-looking third party gestalt yet. They even got the faces on the individual bots right! Will definitely buy if the price isn't completely ludicrous (by third party standards).

I just looked at the pictures again, and it is a pretty drat impressive toy. I'm completely expecting each one to be $100, and then Onslaught ends up being near $125+. That being said, there's no way I can afford these.

About the only TFs I care about anymore are the third party releases, but I agree with most of the other people in this thread. There's WAY too many versions of the different combiners. I can't wait to see a picture of all the various Predakings next to each other. And by the posted picture, everyone will know who to ask for a loan cause this person with 4 Predakings obviously has way too much cash to spare...

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
If you don't like the idea that the Autobots have their own version of witch-smellers then you're just objectively wrong, I'm sorry

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Gammatron 64 posted:

That's past tense though, we actually don't know quite what the current version is like. Or whether or not the current version will remain as is. Unless I'm misreading it Tyrest is implying the original Star Sabre is long dead, as the Ultra Magnus is, and this new one is encased in armor. Much like Magnus, a new Star Sabre is possible.

That's why I find it such a cool twist and nice work on Roberts' part. He doesn't come out and say, Tyrest is like this, he explains the villain by explaining his current and past obsessions. I mean it's just a matter of layering but it feels better to put it together in your head.

And yeah it's a cool design. I actually bought that print. So colorful!

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

That's past tense though, we actually don't know quite what the current version is like. Or whether or not the current version will remain as is. Unless I'm misreading it Tyrest is implying the original Star Sabre is long dead, as the Ultra Magnus is, and this new one is encased in armor. Much like Magnus, a new Star Sabre is possible.

That's why I find it such a cool twist and nice work on Roberts' part. He doesn't come out and say, Tyrest is like this, he explains the villain by explaining his current and past obsessions. I mean it's just a matter of layering but it feels better to put it together in your head.

And yeah it's a cool design. I actually bought that print. So colorful!

You know, I never thought of that, as just like Ultra Magnus, Star Saber is a guy wearing a suit. Or, in Star Saber's case, a guy wearing a suit that's wearing a suit, so he's wearing like 2 layers.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.
Not being a Cash Money Thrillionaire like you guys are, I settled for the Kre-On combiner Bruticus and Devastator and they are pretty fun. Lil' Adorable death bringers :3:

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Apparently Roberts depicted Star Saber as a religious fanatic in his old fan fiction, and he's using that characterization in the comic book instead of the heroic version from the cartoon. And the characters say he's been a crazy fanatic for a long time, so he probably isn't a series of guys in a suit, unless they're similar.

I think MTMTE is really good, though I wish our heroes would score some more definitive victories instead of always having bad stuff happen even when they win.

Peter Bazooka
Sep 29, 2005

This isn’t really anything I think I like.

Optimist Prime posted:

Speaking of: what are the odds of these two being in the Generations lineup next year? The last left-field addition to the RID roster was Waspinator, and, well...

James Roberts seems pretty convinced Rattrap is getting a toy in this interview.

http://www.fullmetalhero.com/content/fmhsquared-special-episode-1-interview-james-roberts-7442/

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yes. Mr. "Creepy Whispery Guy" Sean Long bought a $200 Animated Blitzwing a week before it came out in stores, and that's not even the half of it.

Dude had no job, tried to make all his money off youtube reviews, almost wound up homeless... yeah. Not the best judgement. I think he was featured on a collector intervention show, too.

Also he binge-collected for a time basically everything and anything on toy aisles. DC, Neca, batman, star wars crap you name it. His house looked like a hoarder den.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

MMC just announced another Shockwave.

This one appears to be sized for Classics at about 7" tall. Kind of overlap, but Quakewave is all I need.

Caesarian Sectarian fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 16, 2013

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

therealjon_ posted:

This one appears to be sized for Classics at about 7" tall. Kind of overlap, but Quakewave is all I need.

I passed on Quakewave, because I'm pretty sure we'll see a Takara MP Shockwave eventually, but I might go for a Classics sized version, since there isn't really a functional CHUG Shockwave.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
He looks good, but I still don't like gun-formers.

Maybe if he fits in the hand of that giant fuckin' Bruticus from earlier.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The name pretty much rules though.

CYCLOPS: ANOTHER STEELIAN SCIENTIST

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Hell yes, Voyager loving Shockwave, it's only something I've been wanting for an eternity. Maybe they'll do a Galvatron or G2 Megatron now. Maybe. I hope.

I hope he's not cast in translucent plastic like the picture implies.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Crossposting from the Lego thread:

Zernach posted:

So I just ran into this on Tumblr

"Oh cool, N64 made out of lego, brings back memo..."

It even comes with a controller.

http://mocpages.com/moc.php/366965

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

therealjon_ posted:

Someone on TFW2005 pointed out it's a remold of their upcoming Brainstorm. Seems kind of lazy since neither of their alt modes look very good. I mean I guess it's a more extensive remold than Hasbro usually does, but it just kind of feels like they're trying to force a generic robot mold into whoever they can by changing the details on the extremities a bit. Also I don't like the transparent plastic and hollow limbs.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

http://www.epicheroes.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8_68&products_id=8814

£360 for MP Grimlock and now Classics Jetfire is supposed to be an MP too? I know Grimlock goes for £200+ now but gently caress me, I have that jetfire I got in a job lot off eBay for about £25, including a Binaltech Shockblast. Why is this so expensive?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Because that is a bad website. He is asking $560 for Masterpiece Grimlock and Jetfire. That is silly, do not buy from them.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ha I remember when Epic Heroes was an actual physical store for about, ooh, 8 months. It was really close to me and dude had loads of TFs, but, just like now it seems, they were all waaaay overpriced.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Was it on the main road in Edgware or am I thinking of something else? And I have no intention of buying that at all, and certainly not from there, it just popped up on my Facebook feed and I was all 'HOW MUCH?"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Goldskull posted:

Was it on the main road in Edgware or am I thinking of something else? And I have no intention of buying that at all, and certainly not from there, it just popped up on my Facebook feed and I was all 'HOW MUCH?"

That's the one, yup. Just down from the nice Chinese buffet.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Gammatron 64 posted:

You know, I never thought of that, as just like Ultra Magnus, Star Saber is a guy wearing a suit. Or, in Star Saber's case, a guy wearing a suit that's wearing a suit, so he's wearing like 2 layers.

My current theory is that when this all comes out in the wash Drift winds up donning the Star Saber suit. That is if in fact Saber's deal is the same as UM's.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

LightsGameraAction posted:

My current theory is that when this all comes out in the wash Drift winds up donning the Star Saber suit. That is if in fact Saber's deal is the same as UM's.

I'm also hoping that Tailgate becomes the next Ultra Magnus.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'm also hoping that Tailgate becomes the next Ultra Magnus.

isnt that a given?

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Xenomrph posted:

Crossposting from the Lego thread:

That's pretty drat cool.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

The_Doctor posted:

isnt that a given?

It almost seems too obvious at this point how well everything about it lines up. We've never seen his alt mode, but in his introduction, he was even pulling a trailer.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

In regard of who gets what armor/title, I remember in the decepticon issue, at the end, that deathbot comes carrying a list of the dead he has visited. I can't remember all the names, but Ultra Magnus and Drift were on that list (it was 18 months later kind of thing)

How does that factor into those theories?

Iced Cocoa fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 17, 2013

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

That's the one, yup. Just down from the nice Chinese buffet.

Ah right then. I didn't know it was going as bricks & mortar anymore, it's probably 8 years since I've been up that way and it was more of a comic shop. I remember them having lots of McFarlane Toys Venoms though. Lots and lots of them.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Goldskull posted:

Ah right then. I didn't know it was going as bricks & mortar anymore, it's probably 8 years since I've been up that way and it was more of a comic shop. I remember them having lots of McFarlane Toys Venoms though. Lots and lots of them.

No no, it's not. Like I said, it lasted about 8 months as an actual store. I remember lots of over priced g1 re-releases. It's a nail salon now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Iced Cocoa posted:

In regard of who gets what armor/title, I remember in the decepticon issue, at the end, that deathbot comes carrying a list of the dead he has visited. I can't remember all the names, but Ultra Magnus and Drift were on that list (it was 18 months later kind of thing)

How does that factor into those theories?
The full list is at the end of MTMTE08 and it's Hound, Chromedome, Dipstick, Drift, Ultra Magnus, Flywheels. However he doesn't really tell us the Necrobot is infallible or maybe he just investigates each supposed death, so I'm not really sure.

On that note I was really surprised upon rereading the last couple MTMTE that Roberts kinda revisited the hinted at Optimus is a false Prime thing, while Rodimus is in fact a real one, or who knows what Roberts is saying about the matrix.