Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
I wasn't really passionate about getting a new thread but I gotta admit it feels really great to have an OP that has actual relevant information in it. And I loved the idea of it being called "Galvathread" but I'm glad we're being respectful to the fact that we live in BSS.

Rhyno posted:

Ahhh, there's Nefud. I'd wondered when he was going to show up again.

If you want to talk about TFs or engage in a conversation about BM that's great but if you want to passive-aggressively bleat about our disagreement(s) about what makes a good TV show, I'm politely asking you to refrain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Awww I was just playin' I didn't mean anything by it.

Sorry I am just oversensitive from all the DW threads and their tendency to use my former username as a swear word.

Plus you have a Frank Miller avatar so I just assumed your sense of irony and humor died on 9/11.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

RaspberryCommie posted:

The only problem is that there's no way to render Press E to destroy Megatron on the toy.

I don't know if I've laughed that hard at a video game since the golden age of Lucasarts adventure games.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

The Rage posted:

poo poo deluxe released at $15.99, HA version announced for US release, never makes it. Japanese HA release, $100.

Planned US release: 1 paint app. Japanese HA release: the height of movie-era luxury with TWO paint apps.

God please send the earth into the sun before this next movie comes out I don't know if my fragile heart can take another DOTM.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Spiderdrake posted:

There's no reason to ever read Spotlight: Arcee*,

You guys can rag on it all you want but as a big fan of body horror I find the concept of having gender forced upon a genderless alien to be compelling as hell. Jhiaxus's actions are consistent with his portrayal in the IDW-verse. People being offended at the story seems like an old school "sensitiver than thou" slapfight. Though in fairness I'm only a lifelong proponent of LGBT rights, not an actual transgendered (the allegedly offended persons) human, so maybe I need some help being brought around on this one.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Keldroc posted:

The concept is interesting but what's done with it is brainless and silly. What you describe would indeed be a really fascinating exploration of gender in Transformerdom, but Furman doesn't seem like he was up to the task or even considering it on the level you're talking about.

Hmm you know I think I'll concede that point. I like the idea so much that I was probably letting my imagination do a lot of the heavy lifting that Furman (probably? I should re-read it again) didn't do.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Blackheart posted:

New mold apparently.

I liked the episode, but I felt the bot mode reveal was a bit underwhelming. But you're right, the fight was pretty awesome. I really thought UM would bite it though.

"Why is he posting pictures of that Rhinox statue thing from a few year baoohhhhh myyyy goooodddddd"

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

According to TFW2005, one of the upcoming subscription figures will be:

"Ironfist from Generations 2.0 Roadbuster / Swindle 'because five Wreckers from Hasbro isn't enough'"

Ok, first off, given they crappiness of that Wreckers combiner, 1 Wrecker from Hasbro is more than enough. Second, why the gently caress would I pay $90 for that lovely mold next year when there's a gorgeous 3rd party Ironfist coming out this year? The only way Hasbro's plan could be worse is if their version of Ironfist also gives you hep-c.

But they made me that Rhinox so I still wuvvy wuv wuv them omg omg it's been a day and the high still hasn't worn off

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

I sincerely hope not, if they're really going for the 30th anniversary thing. All we're left with unseen is Tailgate and Whirl, and I imagine them hitting early 2014.

Maybe it's just because they've hit the top two slots of my wish list* (Blitzwing and Rhinox) but I am ready to declare this 30th Anniversary thing a success based on these reveals even if this is all we get until the movie line. Have I mentioned lately how wrong I was that Classics-style stuff is dead? I brought that idea up often enough that my incorrectitude bears repeating. Because even with the QC and plastic quality being so dismal right now, I was just brimming over with wrongness. Pass the crow. Etc.

*Ironfist is No. 3 so you could make a case they gave me my top three but that's really more of a "monkey's paw" fulfillment rather than actually producing a new mold or using one of the half-dozen molds that'd make a GREAT Ironfist.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

therealjon_ posted:

I'm tempted to pay the full price just to get the last two cassettes I need.

If you do this, I'll pay retail for it WITHOUT those two cassettes. If you can solve the hassle of acquiring one and shipping it, I'd be glad to basically let you have those cassettes for free.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

therealjon_ posted:

Sounds good to me, since I'm ordering Acid Storm ill be on the site that day anyway. We'll see what happens on July 18th.

I love it, done and done.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Ka0 posted:

I stopped by a supermarket to pick up some food and they had these enormous 12" blown up rubber dolls of optimus prime and bumblebee. I am not loving kidding. They looked like those china market knockoffs you buy for a dollar or 2, except these had "HASBRO" on the boxes and were priced at about $18. I could not believe my goddamn eyes.

I had the same reaction. Those things are like shampoo bottles. I am not some kind of "lol gently caress action masters" guy-- at least they come with a thing that transforms. But TF toys that have absolutely no transforming element at all are just...even as a little kid I'd rather have a small transformer I hated instead of a giant non-transforming Optimus. I'm not calling that kid dumb, I just hope he doesn't have a buyer's remorse hangover when he gets home.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Honest Ray posted:

My children will never receive a Bumblebee from me. Ever.

I already have a classics bumblebee set aside for my 8-month-old because that mold rules and fun toys are fun. :)

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

I just picked up a skyquake at retail in hopes of swapping him for one of the igear minibots or a classics/henkei Megatron. Any takers?

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Diet Poison posted:

I still hate the poo poo out of Optimus every time he opens his mouth.

It's only by constantly making faux-gravitas-filled speeches that we can finally heal our war-torn planet and protect this planet's most valuable resource....humanity.... :shepicide:

Optimus is the reason I stopped watching. I now actively avoid Optimus in tv shows and comics. I say this as someone that doesn't mind Bumblebee. While people were going bonkers about that latest MP Optimus, all I could see on the shelf (when I passed him up twice) was that boring depressed weirdo from Prime, and the sociopathic warlord from the movies. I don't believe in "Ruined Forever", but Optimus is definitely ruined for right now.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Szmitten posted:

In many ways I think Peter Cullen needs a second break from the role as a means to forcefully reboot his personality (i.e Gary Chalk, David Kaye)

His characterization has nowhere to go but up so sure, change anything you want. I'm being flip but you're right, he's definitely part of the problem.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

GD_American posted:

Cullen is not the problem. Over-gravitas in the writing for his character is.

He's not the main problem, but it would be nice if he pushed back a little when he got the scripts. In DOTM when Optimus yells "Let's kill them all!" it's worth noting that Cullen was complicit in that. TV/movies are collaborative mediums, and there's plenty of blame to go around.

GD_American posted:

I never thought I'd say I wanted the goofy poo poo back in TF cartoons, but cmon. Even the way he said "Good grief" in G1 was great.

I'm pretty sure that Beast Machines Primal had more lighthearted moments than TFP Optimus has had at this point, to which one can only say "dayuuum".

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Ka0 posted:

TFcon is going to have Pathfinder as another attendee exclusive. Pity that mold in particular didn't turn out so well.

Do people not like that mold? Huh. I was quite satisfied.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Keldroc posted:

No, the blame on that one goes to Michael Bay, period. A Michael Bay film is exactly that: A Michael Bay film. It's collaborative in that Bay can't make a movie by himself, but by many reports, that's about it. You do what Bay tells you, or he'll find another person who looks/sounds just like you. Cullen serves as Prime's voice in the movies basically as a concession to the fandom, but if he becomes a problem, I have no doubt Bay would simply replace him with any number of people who can do a decent Optimus.

Cullen can't "push back" on that line, he's there to read the lines and that's it. According to Hugo Weaving, Bay doesn't even attend the voice sessions, so there wouldn't be anyone there to complain to about it who could actually do anything. I'd like to see Cullen try to drive Optimus in a more multifaceted direction in the cartoons, where his opinion probably does have some actual weight, but I guarantee that none of the voice actors in the Bay films have any say in the creative direction of their characters. In part because most of them don't have one, granted, but of those that do, I'm sure it's "read the script, monkey" and that's that.

Just "doing whatever you're asked because you're there for the paycheck" being somehow defensible is a completely foreign concept to me. I can't imagine fracking or chopping down old-growth redwoods for a living and still being able to sleep at night. I've refused to do things I didn't approve of at the workplace (ESPECIALLY when I worked for an online travel agency), but I wont bore the whole thread with specific examples.

Captain Invictus posted:

I know, but I actually like the look of that one more, dinky feet/thighs and all. It's just a shame that it's third party and thus forty loving dollars.

I think that's the direction things are headed for the most part. Would you (metaphorical "you", of course, not attacking you or anything) rather spend $12-$17 on a FOC deluxe that's tiny, made out of garbage plastic, with clip-on wheels and no paint apps, or $40 on a new "lost" deluxe that time-traveled from 2005? I just got done fiddling with iGear Cosmos before checking SA a few minutes ago, so I know how I tend to answer these days. I can't even blame them (3rd party companies or Hasbro) for the situation because of how expensive decent plastic has gotten, will continue to get, etc.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

why cokie rocket is better known as Nefud, who once compared David Tennant to a Nazi for cooperating with Russel T. Davies. This is his schtick.

Mischaracterizing "consistent opinion about the responsibility of creative persons to not contribute to the production of dogshit" as "schtick" is pretty disingenuous.

GD_American posted:

"Peter Cullen should have made Michael Bay change his lines in the movie"

- an actual opinion, amazingly enough

That's not even close to my opinion. Would anyone like to actually discuss this topic?

Keldroc posted:

If you think injustice at the workplace or deforestation of ancient trees is comparable to reading voiceover lines in a movie, I don't even know what to tell you.

Oh good, Keldroc. Even when we disagree you take the time to engage. I really appreciate that. Of course actual evil isn't the same as how a TF movie turns out, but I really can't think of better universally understood examples of not just collecting a paycheck and not giving a poo poo how your work impacts others.

Keldroc posted:

I've worked in film and TV long enough to be able to tell you definitively that any pushback from Cullen on the lines he says for Optimus would simply result in him not getting paid and us having to hear someone else voice the character in the movies.

Who would have a problem with him not doing the voice? It'd be like omitting the sprinkles from a vomit sundae. It's still terrible without him.

Keldroc posted:

Maybe you think Cullen should push back and lose the gig because...what? Some people think Optimus' character is repulsive or unlikable? What would be the point? It's hardly the only fatal flaw in the Bay films. Nothing is going to save these movies. Frankly I'd rather Peter Cullen get the recognition and pay that comes with his role in the films, so that they benefit at least one person who deserves it after all these years. Better that than to see him give it up for some drat fool idealistic crusade, which benefits no one except Cullen's replacement.

Sure, getting paid is the smarter move in the short term, but when you're intrinsically attached to a fairly beloved character, it seems a little silly to willingly go along with a production that's making bizarre and contradictory changes to that character. It would be about as dumb as an actor going along with James Bond getting married (yes I know this actually happened).

I don't even know why this is an argument, honestly. I have trouble identifying with people who don't really care about the impact of projects they work on. Wishing that Cullen had an anecdote about trying to change some of Bayverse Prime's crazier lines may make me hopelessly naive and idealistic (though I respectfully disagree with even that), but not even remotely "Unicron"-level evil.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

It's pretty bad. The flap that is supposed to peg into the back of the thighs doesn't do so at all on mine, no matter how much I fiddle with it or try and force it, and I can't get the sides of the car mode to hold together at all, nor can I get the car mode side windows to peg into the canopy properly. It's pretty aggravating.

I might just try and exchange mine - it certainly can't be any worse than what I've got right now. I was really looking forward to Springer, but mine has had enough problems in his alt-modes that it's really soured the whole experience and I'm actually liking Blitzwing quite a bit more right now. That's... that's now how it's supposed to be. :(

We're in the same boat on Springer. I figured they were all this bad but it's overall cool enough that people were forgiving it. This mold really does peg together for most people in all modes?

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Keldroc posted:

It's not his job, and it would not be an appropriate thing to do, anymore than it would be appropriate for him to come into the VO booth and complain about the art direction or the live action actors' wardrobes.

I'd say it has slightly more to do with him than the costumes, though, because he's the one that has to deliver the dialogue. And to quite a few people (for better or for worse), he IS that character. Other than that I think we're on the same page, but we will just have to disagree about what it all means.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Keldroc posted:

Cullen not getting himself fired is not some kind of moral failing on his part.

And that's where we have to disagree, no matter how many times you repeat yourself. Helping to teach kids (and these are movies for kids) that a "let's kill them all!" attitude is something to be cheered is, in my opinion, morally disagreeable. I understand that from your point of view, morality takes a back seat to dolla dolla holla. We understand each other. Let's move on.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

I'm not overly thrilled about Sandstorm (my deep love of MST3K helps a little) but I will definitely be giving him some custom paint assistance until his buggy mode realizes its destiny as a Mad Max homage.

edit: and I kind of feel like I owe it to Hasbro to buy one to reward them for attempting this experiment in mega-retooling.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

It's beena long-held dream of mine to obtain an AFA-graded Beast Wars Neo Randy, then shake the poo poo out of it until he crumbles into gold fragments. It would be the centerpiece of my MISB collection-- an homage to GPS and the stupidity of AFA grading at the same time.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Blackheart posted:

If you ever do this, you must somehow upload a video and keep the comments open. It'll be a gold mine. (Now that I remember there's already a video of someone crushing Randy, only it wasn't AFA graded)

I remember one of the funniest threads I've ever seen on TFW was a video review of G1 Bludgeon where the dude unceremoniously rips it off the card in the first thirty seconds. I mean like you probably put more trepedation, thought, and care into blowing your nose. The rest of the thread was just pages of "OMFG how dare you it belongs in a MUSEUM" outrage.

Keldroc posted:

I'd be into that, but preferably after CHUG Trypticon.

And we're right back to common ground. Especially since there's already a CHUG Omega Supreme (and a reportedly good 3rd Party Omega Supreme). Right now I've got Knight Morpher Cyclops holding CHUG Omega at bay and that poo poo aint right.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

I used to know during my brief love affair with AFA graded items (before they made the cases available separate from the ridiculous arbitrary grading process). It's not too horrible. Unless you factor in the realization that they are selling you absolutely nothing (besides a bitchin case).

To reiterate: you can order custom-made cases from them for $20-$30, and they rule. My X-9 Ravage lives in one. The custom cases open and close, so I can pull him out, fiddle with him, then back in his box, and back into the case. It's a great display piece.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

I can't wait for the Rotorstorm repaint/conversion kit.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

I'm sure it's a great toy and all but it's really hard to imagine it can live up to all this.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

I'm hoping to pick up Acid Storm when he's on super clearance so I can get the better head for Starscream, and a second one to repaint into Skywarp. I just Wal-Mart Skywarp for like $25, maybe it'll happen again?

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Yeah not seeing much resemblance to the idw design in that whirl

Wow I love that comic but that is a stupid-looking design the moment you give it some thought. Good luck looking down!

That actually applies to a lot of transformers....

Oh god I'm never going to stop thinking about this, all my alternators are ruined.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

I just wish we could get a horrible stereotype themed transformer that's NOT Japanese. I'd be thrilled to own a Sikh-themed female plane robot. Or Russian. Or Eskimo. Or just...not Japanese. I'm talking aesthetics, not accent.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

If I see Metroplex at retail and I have the money, I'll buy him. I wont be heartbroken if that never happens. I mean that's a TON of real estate for a toy I'm not HUGELY excited about.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

When I sold my Energon Omega Supreme I packed it in the Year of the Snake Omega Supreme box just to goose the buyer a little bit. Wish I could've seen his face.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Living in the Seattle area I've learned to not even try. If it's not the actual TRU employees ganking them, it's guys with incredibly flexible hours (I suspect they are on disability or something) that can be there for TRU's openings. Every day. My current job situation may lead to moving back to my hometown across the state but poo poo at least it's not jam-packed with TF fans so I'd stand a chance.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

All the feelings everyone has about Sandstorm is how I feel about Sharkticon Megatron. I can't stop messing with him! I love the stupid blue face, it's a great callback to the way G1 dudes could just have a green or blue or red face because why the gently caress not.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Blackheart posted:

My theory is that:

- First, they don't want to sell combiner teams in different size classes (unless they come in a pack like the PCCs did) to make it easier for kids to assemble the whole thing.

- And second, Hasbro people have mentioned recently how they don't want the figures to have any add-on parts that are essential (for example, the old combiners' feet, fists and faceplates) because it sucks when you lose a small important part and you're stuck with an incomplete figure. Thus the combiner parts have to be somewhat self-contained.

That said, there are some configurations that make FoC Bruticus look pretty good already, but I won't deny that it's a flawed toy. I'm still expecting more info on that addon kit, but I fear that it's gonna cost a fortune.

I just wish they hadn't tried to shoot the moon and give them scramble city style limb options. The other problems (garbage plastic, bad color choices) are obvious, but the design team's hubris, thinking they are brilliant enough to bring back deluxe combiners at retail AND let each of the 4 limbs swap to any other position leads to weird stuff like Vortex's calves being full of limb parts instead of basic robot essentials like feet. And maybe it could be forgiven if one of the configurations made a decent Bruticus, but, welp.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

I just want a non-specialized aesthetic in the mainline again. I loved Animated and I don't hate Prime, but we haven't had a "normal" mainline since Cybertron.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

GD_American posted:

MTMTE tomorrow. The preview seems to hint that Tyrest is....not all there.

I'm mostly curious just what the hell Star Saber is up to. I mean I love that he showed up, but it seemed to come out of nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

I don't understand any mindset that would prefer fewer people to have neat stuff. I mean there are plenty of opportunities for super hardcore investment and hard work, this is fun with toy robots.