Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Anyone else going to TFCon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
If you frequented FunPub era BotCons or TFCons post-2016, then you've definitely seen me. I'm a tall mostly bald red-haired fat dude. I'll be helping out Orson (aka guy-who-used-to-run-Captured-Prey) at his booth for the weekend, and I've done that a few other times too. (There's a different fat red haired friendthat helps us out sometimes too, heh, but he's not bald).

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Rhyno posted:

Can you give an overall review of it, your thoughts and maybe pics alongside some other stuff? I've kind of ruled it out but i sort of want to see one in person.

I don't have Prime, but I picked up the 2 actionmaster based ones. If you buy any other Super7 stuff (I've got some of their old MOTU stuff, their new TMNT stuff), it's very much more of the same as that.

I like the actionmasters simply because no one else is gonna do that, but they're pretty "meh". Their stuff is very "boutique" priced, and I don't think anything is ever straight up trash by any means, but they almost always have a lot of little flaws or annoyances.

AM Bombshell can't really hold his weapons. His backpack doesn't stay on for poo poo, and the hip joints are so weak that the weight it adds is too much anyways. Banzaitron is less annoying, but his partner is just one big solid block which is...silly. I didn't expect it to transform (not that it'd require much, literally just spin the gun out), but the legs and pinchers on it don't do anything either. Just one big block with different paint colors. At the price, I don't expect to have to write the previous sentences.

I still think they're neat, but I don't see most TF fans being interested in them. I get the vibe that they've sold quite poorly too. Wave 4 was taken down to only 3 figures, 2 of which are repaints, and the only new one is Soundwave (aka, a ringer character). Usually Super7 loves doing the obscure stuff mixed in. I kind of don't expect a wave 5.

xZAOx fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 20, 2022

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
The tmnt stuff has plenty of huge figures too, but it bounces between 4 and 5 per wave. I just think really comes down to poor sales.

BW figures would be... Interesting from them, at least. BW/BM stuff has widely different scales if they go off the animation. I wonder what they'd do - or if they'd go like RED (which no one is buying either, lol) and just make everyone around the same height-ish.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Don't forget that Optimal Optimus is almost 3 times taller than the season 1/2 "basic" figures, heh (Rattrap, Blackarachnia, Quickstrike, so on). That's where I was thinking it'd really break down, but most of these huge characters are Transmetals and later (TM 1/2 Megs get bigger and bigger, Depthcharge / Ravage, Transmutate is goddamn huge too, etc).

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't think I'll ever sit through the animes

Here's a tldw that you *totally* asked for:

Headmasters - watch with the dub. It's entertaining because of how stupid and bad it is. Like even putting the notorious dub aside, it's Not A Good Show, so might as well go all in with dub.

Masterforce - I remember really enjoying this one. Watch the sub.

Victory - puts me to sleep, every time. I've made the attempts to watch the series, and each time I made it less and less further before I hit an episode that I couldn't stay awake through.

To be fair, we're talking probably 15 years ago I watched them. At least 10.

If anyone does give them a go - watch them on YouTube. The versions there are notably better quality than my official madman DVD releases.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

SuddenCactus posted:

Evil Perceptor?

Homage to the eHobby reissue release, which was an homage to g1 mold original colors in Microman (I think).

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I'm a big MP (and 3P MP) collector.

For mainline stuff, I think everyone else has it covered, but the TLDR is - there are overall lines that last a couple of years. Those lines will have all kinds of various size classes (with associated price point).

Collectively, the stuff not based on the Bay movies or whatever the current cartoon is (although the recent Netflix shows got Generations releases), is referred to as "Generations", or sometimes "CHUG". This is the line that's basically "here's the vintage toy but updated" these days.

The recent toylines to fall under this are - Combiner Wars, Titans Returns, Power of the Primes, Siege, Earthrise, Kingdom, and now Legacy.

There's not a "core / small" line. Sometimes that size class is called Legends. All the lines above have the little dudes in it. Sometimes the "in scale-ish" small guys get releases here, but this size class also has no problem ignoring scale, to give you some of the big hitters like Starscream or Megatron or Prime or whatever. Once you get to Deluxe / Voyager / Leader / Titan, they try to be scaled more like you'd expect, and all those size classes work together.

The TFWiki that The_Doctor linked above is your best friend! Use it! :D

But turning to MP - really I think all of the Takara releases are good. Some better than others, some have QC issues, but they all look great together. Here's my thoughts on some you don't have:

- Prowl / Streak / Smokescreen - these are great releases. They're also cheap because they've been KO'd a bunch. So be careful if you're buying on eBay and it's from China. They also have "anime" colored versions that I prefer.
- Ultra Magnus - I love the transformation on this guy. He's pretty old, but I'd still recommend him. 3P is about to put out some new versions of him.
- Tracks isn't as bad as people say. Fun toy.
- Star Saber - We don't hit Japanese exclusive stuff often, so this is my jam. Simple, fun, great looking toy.
- Grapple / Inferno - This is one of those toys with "masterpiece moments". It was the first one to incorporate the ladder and hide it away. Pretty stellar.
- Wheeljack - great toy, although the wings still scare me, heh. Love the "anime" color version.
- Prime (MP-44) - It has some issues, but overall, I extremely love this release. So much stuff, the trailer is huge and has a ton of options and display / play value. Not everyone's cup of tea though. Long transformation, but intuitive. Kind of on MP Megatron (mp-36) level.
- Hound - Awesome sculpt, wonderful transformation. Unfortunately, one of the more notorious poor QC. The plastic likes to crack. Lots of KOs of this one around too, so beware (or get the KO so you don't cry if it breaks).
- The new Seekers - I think they're great. No waist swivel is weird. But, as you can tell, I love the anime / cartoon accurate looks. Really expressive, first toy to hide the tail wings and stuff into the transformation (although Deformation Space ended up coming out around the same time, or even slightly before, and did this too)

These you could pass on, for my tastes:
- Arcee - I hate this toy. Great car mode. But I think the robot mode is soooo far off animation model. The biggest common gripe is that her chest looks really screwy, but for me, it's just about everything in robot mode. Gross.
- Skids - This one doesn't really fit in. Skids was hardly even in the cartoon, so this is based more off the toy. It feels like a better CHUG figure, than a MP to me.

Someone earlier said MP collecting was a "dead-end", and I just can't disagree enough. Although, I really do recommend adding in 3P stuff. You'll double, if not triple, the amount of G1 friends to add to your shelf. If you're interested in some starters, let me know. Or I could drop some pictures. TFW2005 has a great pinned post too on 3P substitutions per-character per-season with links and poo poo.

I'm guessing you don't care about Beast Wars. That MP line is astounding too. Even has a few 3P contributions too now.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Sentinel Red posted:

:same:

With the sole exception of the upcoming 'lab Victory Saber (and I guess Deathsaurus later too), I only do MPs these days. I'm just not interested in the cheap looking, hollow and unpainted product that makes up the mainline stuff of late, it's not my cup of char at all. Would agree there have been a few missteps the last few years though (Arcee, Crumbling Hound, that revolting from all but one angle Bumblebee) but hopefully Trailbreaker will be more on the Inferno/Sunstreaker side of things.

Yeah, I'm the *only* collector in my large circle of TF friends who is MP-focused. To each their own, of course. More options are good. For people who love the mainline approach, they're swimming in a great collection though.

I do dabble in mainline, but just for oddball stuff (like G2 Sandstorm in those unreleased colors, the new SG Wheeljack to use as Slicer because I love ActionMaster homages and it's better than the old FunPub one, etc) and most of the city bots (I sold G1-based Metroplex because aesthetically it's way off, and I got like $350 for it at the time, I think it's even more now). And Unicron. Some other odds and ends, but the focus is def MP.

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

and what the hell do I do with the old ones, considering I cannot be bothered to sell them.

I have a few like that - I display them in their alt mode. Like MP Arcee...I went *back* to FansToys Rouge instead, but MP Arcee ain't worth anything, so I kept her in her car mode and display both (that's her good mode anyways).

MP Soundwave also ain't worth poo poo, but is still a great toy. So when I got FT Soundwave, I put the FT in robot mode, and the official in tape deck mode.

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

but I have quite a few hobbies and interests, as well as responsibilities, and only so much display space, so I can't get sucked too far into this hobby. As someone who grew up in the 80s who now has disposable income, just give me the expensive rear end, complex G1 MP toys for my man cave, and maybe a couple of the tiny Core figures for my desk.

I feel ya. I have a big display area (my basement / office / toy room), but still, there are limits.

If you're into MP / 3P, you get a lot *fewer* releases, but they're generally larger and more impressive looking.

If you're into the mainline stuff, you get a lot more releases, much quicker transformations for fiddling, but a lot less paint, never any diecast, and more hollow bits.

And the truth is, both are spending the same amount per month these days. Hell some of my mainline collecting friends spend more than me! I just prefer lesser, but higher quality, and they take up less space!

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

flavor.flv posted:

This is my favourite gun megatron in my collection:

Take special note of the wheels, every toy in the choro-q robo line had a working pull back and go motor. Every. Single. One.

Be careful with these - the plastic gets really brittle. I had one of mine break forever ago.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
The death star would kill Unicron

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
trukk not munkey!

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

On that, does anyone know if there are any large or similarly-sized to Magnus/Jetfire Decepticons in the works, or rumoured to be upcoming?

One other question: I have completed sets of the first two volumes of the IDW comics and am making my way through Volume 1. Great stuff so far. I know there are three books out from the third volume, but that as IDW have lost the rights there may be no more released. Is it still worth buying those first three books?

There's no large MP 'cons that we know of. G1, esp early on, had much more Autobots than Decepticons, and stereo-typically the good guys are more popular in Japan. So, many more Autobots to pick from, plus they'd rather do good guys anyways....yeah. There's plenty if you go 3P though.

Re: IDW - a good story is always worth reading. I don't know how their volumes are broken down, but the IDW stuff went through a lot of phases on its original continuity (Furman-era -ation stuff, then All Hail Megatron, then the rest), then a few years ago that continuity ended and Hasbro forced a new continuity on them. The two books written by Roberts from the original continuity - More Than Meets The Eye and Lost Light - are generally held in super high regard. I think all of this continuity is at least decent, but yeah, if you're only going to read some of it, I'd suggest MTMTE and LL. You can use the wiki to fill in the gaps, but other than some forced crossovers with the other titles (which are by far the low points), they're reasonably self-contained.

The new continuity that Hasbro mandated, most people find very boring and not worth your time.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
My trans art Rattrap shipped yesterday, so stoked for that!

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
The half of the trailer flap on our right is yellowed. I can see it.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
My face is my warrant

Also "yes I have an Optimus prime sized pit in my barn"

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I don't think that argument ever even got settled. The fandom still argued about it. I think it's best described as a soft reboot.

But some stuff in BB is to make it fit in the bay timeline. But then they directly hard contradict some things later.

So all in all, it doesn't make sense however you slice it, which probably means it fits in great!

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

flavor.flv posted:

Oh come on there's no way that's a real thing

Definitely is. One of the people in my tf family is in his late 20s.. He openly admits they're trash, but he loves a lot about the first few anyways. He also loves the designs.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Dabir posted:

Thread OP, did a thread analysing the first three Bay films that got turned into a PDF.

Here's the link.

wat

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

https://showzstore.com/kfc-toys-eavi-metal-phase-p-6k-toecutter_p3412.html

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Heh, it's not even really stealing from Hasbro. Hasbro pays for X figures, and they get X figures.

It's stealing from the factory itself, which isn't owned by Hasbro. It's just factory workers sneaking out some product. Sometimes it's even just production test runs, so it's figures that are literally meant to be reviewed, just not by random YouTube nerds, lol. It's stuff that would have been destroyed or just sent along in the batch to Hasbro for review (and afterwards Hasbro would destroy it).

The factory workers often don't know exactly what they're selling, but they are wise to the game. It all depends on the factory and your hookup, but most of the sellers there know at least that it's "desired" and charge stupid prices.

Source: I know someone who was buying them from a factory for a while. He'd flip them in the US to a combo of whales who knew he could get it and were excited to get it early, and a few YouTube reviewers (which was always contingent on getting it very early, or the deal was off). Eventually his hookup kept raising the price more and more, and in general being more of a PITA to deal with, so he stopped bothering.

Personally, I don't know why anyone would pay the prices for that poo poo. Sometimes they don't even have accessories, or they might have pieces broken, and of course never have packaging (not that I keep mine). But paying 50-100% markup for poo poo that'll be readily available in a few months is dumb. TF YouTube reviewers aren't getting rich in the first place, I can't imagine how it breaks even for them. Maybe PVP's hookup is cheaper or just loans it to him or something.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
The toy wolf toilet bots are ridiculous and I love them. I have three I think?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Most of the TF Super7 stuff is..."meh" at best (other than all the card art from every Reaction thing), but this alone makes up for it all.

I'm just happy someone finally made something from this dumb, wonderful design.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
TransArt stuff makes me happy. They're notably cheaper (and you can tell why by the plastic), the engineering isn't complex, yet they still look very screen accurate and look just stellar on the shelf. Great company.

Although I'm a little disappointed by their upcoming TM Blackarachnia. Felt like they didn't even try to integrate a transformation. I get that the show super cheats on her model, so some parts forming isn't surprising, but lol. Given what Metagate is doing with Terrorsaur, I feel there's some missed opportunities.

Either way, all they have left to announce is TM Tarantulas, then it's only big guys left. And given how under scale Optimal Optimus was, I'm not sure they have the appetite for in scale big figures. Although, TM2 Dinobot is pretty big too, and he looks pretty close to scale.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Joe Fisto posted:

I haven't watched the show, but I saw a bunch of the new Earthspark toys today. They all look, I dunno, cheap? The one that turned into a drone looked like it was more for the 2 step baby toy crowd. Am I wrong?

It's the same line as RiD2 -> Cyberverse. They're much cheaper toys. They're not supposed to be the same quality as the generations stuff.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Insert the SpongeBob imagination meme here.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Arquinsiel posted:

why are the dinobots always ended up being shoved into being a combiner team?

Because some monster created this https://tfwiki.net/wiki/The_Beast_Within

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
3 bot combiners aren't anything new. It could be pretty neat.

I always wanted, and still do, the Insecticon train set from hearts of steel. MMC was going to do it a billion years ago but it fell by the wayside.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Has anyone heard any news or movement about the KFC Steeljaw 2.0 and Ramhorn 2.0 figures that were supposed to come out like half a year ago?

Same question for the X-Transbot Omnibots?

Nah, I think it's all just in the backlog of 100 things Keith announced. Until the FB page starts showing shots of finished stuff, no one really knows what's nearing release.

Lots of times the release order gets changed based on what gets through tests at the factory. Sometimes a certain design/figure ends up taking longer to iron out the kinks, so something that wasn't having issues will get produced ahead of it, stuff like that.

Plus Keith has *always* had no actual concept of reality. He said he'd put out all that poo poo he announced by the end of 2022, lol. XTB/KFC has a busier release schedule at times than people realize I think (esp when they release a lot of repaints all at once, like Junkions, Minobots, Inferno-mold stuff), but he always thinks they'll get like 4x more out than is even remotely realistic.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I'm glad 3P does MP BW.

Obviously some random stand-ins with some of the Generations stuff. There's that KO oversized Rhinox that's tempting, although it was out of stock at ShowZ, so not sure where to get it anyways.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

this Not Seaspray(tm) would be pretty tempting if I wasn't holding off on bot purchases

Can recommend. He doesn't have the tubby look as nicely as the FT one, but it's a well made, fun transformer, with a TON of fun accessories. I got this for my MP G2 shelf, that way the more "accurate" one from FT is in my main G1 MP collection.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Xenomrph posted:

Does he come in blue? He looks neat but that purple just looks wrong.

Yeah, the normal G1 release was first.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Non Compos Mentis posted:

e: Has any third party done the unreleased G2 Grimlock?

Just the G2 Blue version to my knowledge (Planet X has done it for both their WFC and IDW Grimlock versions, pretty sure).

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Lots of 3p Kups. There's at least one other mp Kup, at least one generations, several legends scale too I'm sure.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Nodosaur posted:

And lbr they aren’t gonna make a whole new mold just for Dion.

I'd have agreed with that like 10 years ago. But now they're doing repaints based on g2 production art (pretty obscure stuff if you're not a turbo nerd like new), new mold for Jhaxius, we got that heavy retool for super Megatron, etc.

I don't buy a ton of retail Hasbro anymore (mostly mp and 3p), so those are just quick things off the top of my head. But they've shown they're very willing to go obscure for even new molds these days. I don't consider anything impossible.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Joe Fisto posted:

Oh and for you perverts, yes her top is only held on by a magnet. Weirdos.

That's actually a throwback to her original toy. It had a removable "bra" for some reason. They later altered the release to not make it easily removable.

I generally love TransArt, but this is objectively the worst figure they've done:

- The magnet is way too weak. It flops off constantly.
- There's zero effort in the engineering. It's barely a transformer. Mostly "take off spider parts, set aside, done"
- The spider leg design is inexcusable. It's insanely too stiff, especially the first time you articulate it.
- The joints are too weak/soft. You can pose it some, but it feels bad.
- What little transformation is there doesn't give a satisfying nor solid click into place. So it didn't hold together great.

On the positives:
- It's absolutely *beautiful*. The paint job is overwhelmingly stunning.

As a display piece that stands there - it knocks it out of the park. But the second you hold it or try to mess with it... Yeesh.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Yeah , it's definitely a case of beggars can't be choosers. It's not like I'm not keeping it. I highly recommend everything else they've done (except OpOp because the scale is way off). Just want people to know what they're buying. It is insanely pretty.

Takara hasn't talked about a new MP BW mold since Tigatron in 2020. It's disheartening.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Arquinsiel posted:

Okay but that's been the problem with all of the movies so... :shrug:

I'm reminded of this classic https://www.shortpacked.com/comic/flowchart

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
The tf fandom has all kinds. There's large groups of liberals, large groups of hard line conservative types. I know plenty of both.

Most of the bickering about anything like that though is relegated to Twitter or some lovely tfw thread. I'd say your average fan doesn't notice that nonsense nor care. They just want cool toys and cool fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Heh, not implying Twitter isn't popular - my point was more that, in person, you don't hear the extremes. It's just when people are on platforms to spout their personal nonsense.

I forget Instagram exists most of the time, and Facebook I only use with my private transformers friend group.

But no, it's not like there's a roving mob of bigots dominating the fandom. MTMTE is still highly regarded, James Roberts panels are still very popular, etc. You can avoid that nonsense pretty easily just based on where you "digitally" hang out / engage the fandom.

I've been part of the fandom as an adult for about 19 years, and most people are old nerds like me (us?) who just like to talk about fun toys. Conventions are great. The complete shitters I've met in that time are very few (but there's some, for sure). Conversely, my best friends I've met through the hobby. I consider my friend group my real family these days. They've really been there for my nuclear family the past few years in particular, when we went through some real hard poo poo (and still are).

Ignore the vocal minority, play with toys :D