Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
For me the best Shockwave is still Binaltech Shockwave. If only because of that gorgeous paintjob he has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva
That's Galaxy Force Vector Prime, released near the end of Cybertron's toyline run. Nothing really special.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva
My love mainly lies with the Binaltechs. Jazz and Shockware are both gorgeous in both their car and robot modes, Shockwave manages to evoke his G1 form and style by design alone, and the paintjobs are beyond beautiful in Binaltech. Along with that, the S2000 mold is quite solid, easy to transform and looks great as well(I have the Overdrive and Arcee versions, Arcee has the nice subtle glitter paintjob too) Hell, I even like Corvette Ravage for being sleek and black, and Grimlock despite his complexity. He really does evoke a dinobot in both modes.

As for others, G1 Soundwave holds a special place in my heart. RiD Scourge is also great(I have the Black Convoy version) I also highly enjoy RiD Omega Prime, despite him being a bit top heavy. I will also never tire of transforming Classics Prime. The first movie Prime is also delightfully chunky.

Worst has to be Cybertron Thundercracker. He looks decent in jet mode, but robot mode just falls apart, especially with the loose arm/cannon. Classics Octane/Tankor also is a resounding meh for being rather shoddy in all three modes(Although airplane mode is kind of OK) And there's RiD Side Burn, with one of the worst transformations I know. Parts just pop off if you're not careful, and you're rotating and re-rotating certain parts over and over again, hoping to find that magical angle where it works properly.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva

Goldskull posted:

I hardly know anything about Binaltech but Shockblast is a repaint/remold of the Jazz everyone raves about? I guess mine's hosed then because I got him in a joblot and have never been able to transform him into car mode, despite studying the instructions. His back end/legs simply won't fold in to complete the car and as someone else mentions, his bonnet pops the gently caress off. Hmmm.

The transformation of the Mazda mold is a bit annoying at first but it helps to look at the sculpted details to see what goes where in terms of the legs. The transformation does involve a bit of rotating them around excessively but I always worked around it to get the same results(his crotch also needs to be turned the other way around, with the upper leg fronts facing down in vehicle mode, and there's the whole bit with arranging the seats and getting the joints in their proper position)

I've experienced the hood-popping with the head as well, which happens easier with the Shockwave head due to its shape and dimensions, so you need to wiggle it a bit to get it to fit properly(Helps to have his head look up as it goes through)

Although the Dodge Ram modeI(Nemesis Prime in my case) is the more annoying one to transform properly, I can never get the front aligned as nicely as it was in the package. Along with that, my BTA Alert has suffered from mold degradation so it's rather all over the place. For some time I was unable to get the car transform down properly because of very tight joints and alignment issues. I prefer him in robot mode anyway, especially after a head swap with Alt Prowl and third-party missile launchers from the Binaltech Arming set(Also came with a vacuum metallized Energon sword that I gave to Nemesis Prime)

Still, the realism of the car modes and the chunkyness and added weight of the diecast, along with the paintwork, is why I love them. I can't actually think of any bad molds in that line and I've got at least one of every mold there is.

I mean, just look at that paintjob!

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva
The closest you'd get would be the KO Hummer based on Hound. It was available in black and red. The red version was used for a few Ironhide customs, and the black one for Trailbreaker(Considering the head's already available via Swindle) I've also seen a white knockoff Hound as base for Ratchet.

The Skids mold never got a KO from what I've seen though.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Wow, that G1 Drift! I don't recognize what he was originally. If you want to talk about your projects, I wouldn't mind, I don't have any specific questions outside of what that toy was originally.

And yeah, someone needs to spoiler-tag up some movie for those interested.

In case you still want to know, it's G1 Boss.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva

Endless Mike posted:

Of all the Alternators/Binaltech I've ever played with, the Jeep mold is the easiest to transform barring maybe the Honda S2000. Everything just kind of folds in ways that make sense and fit with plenty of space. Scion xB was the most difficult, but I never got to mess with the later ones like the Acura RSX or Ford GT.

As someone who owns at least one of every Binaltech/Alternators mold and some doubles, the most annoying one to transform is the Mustang mold(I have the Grimlock version). The doors have a nasty habit of popping off during transformation and the arms tend to be a bit annoying to get right. The S2000 and Jeep molds are pretty much the easiest, along with the Acura mold which I could basically transform in my sleep.

The Dodge Ram mold is nice, but the hood/front section is annoying to get to line up properly and has a slight habit of gapping. The Ford GT is nice but suffers from loose back syndrome. The Scion is fairly easy once you get the hang of it but getting it back into vehicle mode can be a bit annoying to align all the panels.

I also have the Alert BT Asterisk mold, and due to mold degradation it's a tad wonky in vehicle mode and his feet are horribly tight.

Overall, my favorite mold lies in the middle with the Jazz/Shockwave Mazda RX8. Gorgeous paintjobs for the Binaltech versions, easy to transform but not too easy, and both modes look excellent(even if they have slightly clumpy feet)

Both versions of Ravage are also pretty nice, and the Rumble mold is cool but the lack of hands is kinda annoying.

Overall it was a great line though, with clever engineering and transformation tricks, and the Binaltechs had some beautiful paintjobs.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva

Arsenal_12 posted:

Alternator Smokescreen is crap, don't get it. The transformation is annoying and getting the front and rear of the car to line up is a pain in the rear end.

This is even worse on the Binaltech Asterisk Alert I have, where parts are actually slightly crooked and don't want to line up at all or are so tight I get worried putting him into vehicle mode(As a result I've only had him in vehicle mode a few times)

To top it off, mine has some yellowing on some parts despite having been in storage for some time now with no exposure to sunlight. My Alternators Prowl also suffers from some discoloration, but it's not as bad and mainly limited to the legs. All of the others I have don't have anything wrong with them as far as I've seen though.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva

DoctorWhat posted:

What? Of course not. It's a kitbash. That's a blue Fire Convoy with a Unicrotch and styrene limbs and a bunch of redecos strapped to it.

Also Primushands and Unicron lower arms.

I get that kitbashers love to make their bashes as huge and articulated as possible, but what in the hell do they do with the rest of the figure because you can't really repurpose most of those parts? Seems like a terrible waste of two planetformers to me.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva

Gammatron 64 posted:

I kind of get the impression that Hasbro doesn't give a poo poo about Europe.

Hasbro never really gave a poo poo about Europe as far as Transformers are concerned. Miserable, scattered distribution of lines for the past decade or so, usually just the first few waves at most.

I recently checked a local store's Transformers shelves, seeing if they had CW stuff. A lot of Primes and Silverbolts(30 euros a pop), and only two of the limbs(23 euros a pop). Meanwhile there's still TF4 stuff, including those cheap nontransforming figures and a lot of one-step changers, clogging large parts of the shelves around the CW stuff. Other stores display similar layouts, so I'm not surprised that they're not gonna distribute wave 2.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva
Was in Bulgaria last week and saw some knockoffs right next to official product in a toy store:

Didn't buy any so I have no idea what the plastic quality's like, but they look close enough to the real deal in terms of paintjob at least. That RotF Demolishor to the left of "Carroll" was labeled as Megatron by the way, and full of official logos, in a Dark of the Moon box. They also had some of the RotF Scouts in Animated-style packaging.

Smoke fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 19, 2015

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva

Goldskull posted:

I mean it as slang for 'really good'. The slightly metallic sparkle on the main blue is great.

Can you compare said sparkle to Binaltech/Alternators Tracks's paintjob? Because that version has a pretty neat sparkle to it too(and also my only point of reference for Tracks)

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva

Anora posted:

They added Flames for optimus and took them away for Hot Rod? What the gently caress.

Looks like he's a Lamborghini, the flames will come naturally.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva

The_Doctor posted:

What's the best Ravage? MP Ravage or the one that came with Classics Hound?

Binaltech Ravage(Corvette) or Alternators Ravage(Jaguar) I'd say if you don't mind them not being tapes.

For tapes I'd rank MP Ravage over Classics Ravage, if only for poseability reasons.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I don't think I'm melting down, I just think it would look a lot better and I can gently caress up my toys any way I want, you know?

Speaking of loving up Masterpieces, does above know a good way to preserve chrome? My Hasbro MP Soundwave is showing some black under his buttons (and I never really pushed them or anything) and Inferno's hosehand and headhose both have little chips missing on the tips of their barrels if I look closely. Not caused by the water effect, I'm sure of it.

Clear nail polish to seal in what's left? Is there a good silver-ish paint I could use instead, maybe? Thanks for any suggestions.

For repairing or even adding chrome, paint is not the answer, mainly due to the way it works.

Silver sharpie or model paint can be useful to hide small imperfections, but if you wanna truly touch it up and make it look like the original, you'll need something like Bare Metal Foil.

It requires quite a bit more work than just slapping on paint, but the end results are worth it.

You could also look into techniques used in scale modelling to get that chrome look, but you'll most likely end up stripping and replacing the entire chrome coating with those to get a consistent result.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva
Today Thew opens a fairly large box with some nice things in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2s8pDYqIrU

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva

Never expected that we'd get a Bumblebee that's a Cliffjumper remold...

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Keep posting these ideas I'll forward them to design

Masterpiece Binaltech line so we can get a Grimlock that doesn't lose his doors when you transform him.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva

The_Doctor posted:

Thew’s having a baby! Well, his partner is, but he definitely helped. :toot:

Thew seems like the cool dad who would let his offspring play with his Transformers even if they're prized collectibles. My oldest son absolutely loves playing around with 2007 movie/RotF, Cybertron and Armada stuff as well as Alternators Nemesis Prime and Universe Chevy Swerve.

He's not getting Car Robots Black Convoy though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

You can get pretty tiny Bluetooth speakers now, they should make a Blaster + Soundwave with one built in.

But my Soundwave already plays MP3s. They're on miniSD but still...