Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

StevenM posted:

He raises an excellent point about the limited agency of women in games, and at least he acknowledges the hypocrisy in his desensitization, enjoyment even, of murdering masses of faceless goons and then feeling revulsion at one implied assault. It's a shame that developers are looking to sexual assault as the new quick-and-cheap conveyance of how immortal people can be.

However his erasure of male rape survivors is problematic and indicative of a society that has no bias in gender or lifestyle when it comes to rationalizing away the accountability of criminals.

The article was written by noted "not a man" Cara Ellison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

The rear end Stooge posted:

I'm very, very skeptical of any piece of media that uses sexual violence for shock value or to elicit an emotional response. Unless done expertly, it comes off as cheap and puerile, and I'm sorry to say I don't have high hopes for Hotline Miami 2's ability to pull it off. I can't make a judgement until the game is actually out, but Ellison's impression is very worrying.

I really can't think of a game that would be better suited thematically and visually for using sexual violence than Hotline Miami.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Which is not to say it's impossible for them to gently caress it up. I thought everything in the original Hotline Miami was pitch-perfect, tonally, but I know a lot of people thought the hospital level didn't work at all. Now, obviously a lot of people didn't like that level for gameplay reasons in addition to (or in place of) tonal reasons, but I think it's a mistake to separate those two entirely with Hotline Miami (as it is with most games) and the point I want to make is just that the developers aren't flawless. It's possible for them to mess things up, and messing up a rape scene in your video game comes with some pretty big downsides. Like, yes, if there's a game that can make sexual violence work, it's this one much more than loving Tomb Raider or something, but that's not to say this game will make sexual violence work.

Truth.

Question: Does it work considering what we have seen so far?

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Trainmonk posted:

Because the shock value is only good for triggering actual rape victims. The commentary about how rape is dumb or whatever is completely worthless afterwards.

The commentary isn't rape is dumb. The commentary is "what the gently caress are you doing playing this game?" I think it is important to note that there is no flashing :siren:press A to rape:siren: button. I seem to remember that there were instances in the original hotline where the avatar responds to button presses in unexpected ways.

"I didn't want to rape her! That is evil! I only wanted to climb on top of her and :unsmigghh:BASH HER loving SKULL INTO THE TILE!":unsmigghh:

:qqsay:

Miltank fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 15, 2013

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Trainmonk posted:

You're missing the point entirely, over and over. The commentary is worthless because it doesn't even work. Look at all these people, including you, who don't even agree with what it's saying. It's saying it shouldn't be used for shock value in video games and you cheer on an example of it that happened right before it, like idiots.

That isn't what it is saying either. And there doesn't have to be general consensus on a work for it to have worth.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Trainmonk posted:

It's not impossible to say. Rape commentary doesn't belong in video games.

Why not? This game isn't Mario.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Trainmonk posted:

Rape commentary isn't just any commentary. Rape commentary has victims.

e: Victims OF IT I mean. It hurts people.

So do war movies honestly. I know it is by know means a 1-1 comparison, but there is tons of media that can potentially trigger PTSD in victims.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

moths posted:

It's like when you beat Bowzer and you Mario took over and saved the princess while you passively observed because you contributed in no way to this occurence.

Its like pressing the button to jump on a goomba and then mario takes off his pants.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
If you think that a butcher in a pig mask shooting a women in the gut and then raping her is normalizing rape you are dead wrong. If anything these depictions of rape are dangerous because they otherize the rapist too strongly. The vast majority of rapists know their victims personally.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Trainmonk posted:

I don't think that and I didn't make any sort of implication to that. All I said was that the media is good at normalizing rape.

Trainmonk posted:

What they're really, really good at is normalizing rape and artificially darkening their writing of a character. What actual people are good at is discussing it, and they do it often with no help from movie rape #3059.

Ok so you weren't referring to the media that we are discussing. How does media in general normalize rape then?

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Trainmonk posted:

I don't understand what you want me to tell you. You want me to explain what normalization is?

I guess I want you to explain what you think normalization means and then explain how it applies in the way that you used it.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I don't think this is the point- and if it is, it isn't a very good one, because the reasonable response would be that the developers are the ones responsible for making the audience enjoy the game; the violence is alluring because they attached it to a mechanically thrilling game. So if the point was "You're terrible for enjoying this", it's undercut by the fact that it wouldn't be enjoyable if the game wasn't fun to play (see: Spec Ops The Line).

I don't think it is fair to criticize a work of art for succeeding technically within its medium. The focus of Hotline was "you do these things because you are told to, you keep doing them because you like it."

Edit:^^ So if the game contains a warning for sexual violence you wouldn't have any problem with it? I can definitely agree with that.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

prahanormal posted:

I know. I'm kind of hoping that there will be some sort of contextual stuff before this scene in the final game. It's totally possible that things play out differently in the full game.

I hope not. The rape is an emotional jump scare that would be completely pointless without the illusion of authenticity.

Edit:VV :toot:

Miltank fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 15, 2013

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
It is described in the OP as the concluding half but I don't know if that was sourced or if it was just talk. What I think would be really cool is randomly generated levels.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Always bet on rape chat.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

DARPA Dad posted:

You cannot possibly be this retarded

That dude really wanted to talk about rape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Sleeveless posted:

Good to see that the stillborn YCS clone is so dead that they have to resort to trolling the real thread just so they have something to titter about back at the p'zone.
:chanpop:

• Locked thread