Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010

Holepunchio posted:

I think a lot of you are missing the point. I believe its already established that yes, the player character does things to make you feel uncomfortable and no, you don't like hurting people. You might like the rush and the fun and the powertrip at times but the extreme violence is meant to be offputting. Making your character a rapist is certainly one way of making them offputting.

But I think the issue here isn't that rape is being depicted. Its the fact that of the few women we've seen in the series, they're just helpless damsels and pawns and stereotypes. The first is kidnapped by Jacket and seems weirdly compliant to being abducted by a serial killer. She is later killed just to give Jacket a revenge plotline. The second woman is just your cheesy femme-fatale for the real russian mob boss. Now the latest woman we've seen in the series and her role is to be the rape victim to pig butcher. Ellison's statement is
It wasn't "booo, rape."

Maybe if women too got to be serial killer or nameless goons or evil mastermind, it could slide. Right now the depiction of women in the series is objectively, poo poo.

I agree, I think Hotline Miami would be really interesting if there was a fem-jacket running around, and I kind of have this weird reading that the stuff like the director telling the actress "to be more helpless or girly," might hint to something like that possibly being the case. Maybe wishful thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010

StevenM posted:

I have to second the wishful thinking, but I also second the suggestion of a playable female and just some diversity in the enemies. Putting men and women on the same level of hunter and fodder rather than, I dunno, having an entire gender represented as "damsel in distress", or "strong independent woman who don't need no man", or something else cringeworthy.

Definitely. In my ideal, I'm imagining the same jacket we all know and love but just female. The ripley treatment basically. I really like the saints row games because they basically just take this approach, and it works really well. Fem boss (especially in saints row 2) had this really cool edge to her that didn't come off liked forced "feminism is over!" bullshit mostly because the script is written pretty much the same throughout all voices. The voice acting definitely helped as well. Of course, I don't believe that this is the end all be all solution to a problem like this for women in games/media in general, but for this game, where the whole point seems to be poking at male power fantasy, I would say it would be an interesting statement if it forced you to play as a women. It would at least be a step up from the girlfriend and token russian chick in my opinion.

^^^both of the janitors were based off of the two developers, who are both male.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010

Eaten by Tigers posted:

Hotline Theme, or whatever the song that plays on Stronghold is called, is hands down the chillest music to murder people to in the series.

Yeah thats the hotline theme by benny smiles. I play that a ton while driving at dusk. The way home by magic sword is also chill. Incidentally, that's the music for the next soldier mission.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010

Polka_Rapper posted:

Which track is playing in that one?

richard by dubmood. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NubTrpZguJc

• Locked thread