Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Tony probably isn't there because he's one of the two selectable characters for the level, so it'd just be easier and quicker to have three other guys rather than need to make the animations for two different sprites and swap them out depending on which one is used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I am inordinately excited to play as a Hotline Miami 1 goon.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Malek posted:

Maybe if they're out of ammo?

They actually showed him reloading too, which was exciting to notice when I watched the trailer a second time.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Capn Beeb posted:

ps the croc mask is best

Jones the crocodile is my best friend. We get along very well. We like to make new friends too!

And then we paint the town red with them.

Paint it red with all the parts of them.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
The first two issues are pretty disappointing crap. The most interesting thing is that it makes it more clear that US-Russian relations are vastly different in this world, but I assume that'll just be elaborated in the game if it matters anyway. It just feels pretty unnecessary and boring, and leaves me more frustrated that there isn't any official confirmation that the game is coming out in March.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

ninjewtsu posted:

HM was one of my favorite games of all time I can not wait to waste away another 2 days playing the sequel nonstop

This is my biggest problem right now, because I don't know when I'm gonna have a solid day or two to just blaze through the game without other things to do, and I feel like it'd be wrong to take more than one (extended) sitting to beat the whole thing.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I haven't read through them, but the trophies for the PS3 version are out and apparently have some big spoilers, if anyone else wants to: http://www.exophase.com/game/hotline-miami-2-wrong-number-psn/trophies/

Also, having just played through the first again, I feel pretty convinced that Beard is Richter. It fits with Richard's statement that "Someone you know is not who you think he is", which doesn't have anyone else to really apply to in the first game, besides maybe the phone voice, and that feels like stretching. If you take the perspective that everything before Trauma is in Jacket's head, the imagery of Richter killing and replacing Beard could just as much represent Beard 'becoming' Richter, a way of understanding the transformation of Beard/Richter from Jacket's friend to his enemy after he's ambushed by him. Also, though this isn't necessarily proof, they've got the same head sprite, so that at least gives a direct link between the two. It could just be a matter of recycling assets, but I don't think any other face sprites are reused for different characters, so it would seem to make sense. I'm sure this is a pretty common theory, but it really clicked for me on the most recent playthrough.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Dvsilverwing posted:

Except in Hotline Miami 2 Richter is a playable character, and the Soldier is supposed to be Beard, isn't he? And he's also a playable character or something.

Anatharon posted:

I theorized that the Soldier might be Beard, but Beard being Richter or The Soldier doesn't disqualify him from being the other at another time.

The main problem with either theory is that Cactus said something to indicate that Beard goes on to direct Midnight Animal.

Yeah, Beard being The Soldier and Richter honestly makes total sense to me. FANFICTION-Y PLOT SPEC AHOY: Jacket and Beard are both soldiers together, which is how they meet and become friends. They both then sign on with 50 Blessings, which makes sense as a choice if they're both pretty nationalistic as ex-soldiers. Out of the membership they're chosen as mask killers because of their military background, which makes them good choices for killing. Of course, neither of them mentions this to the other, for whatever reason, so neither of them know the other is doing this until Beard/Richter gets the call to take out Jacket. Assuming he even got a call, of course. We all assume that Richter showing up was on 50 Blessings' orders, but that doesn't necessarily have to be true; it could just as easily be that he decided to try and find out who was making these threatening calls to him and assumed it was the only other person he knows connected to 50B (This would also explain why he suddenly becomes more hostile to Jacket as time goes on, assuming they're the same person; mental wear from all the killing, combined with paranoia turns him against Jacket). This doesn't quite gel with his final words though, asking Jacket if he's been getting the phone calls too. Anyway, Jacket gets a bullet in the brain or wherever and has his coma dream, and the rest is violent, bloody history. So, that's my whole idea of how this theory could work out. I look forward to being proven 100% wrong tomorrow!

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

TheJoker138 posted:

Stuff from the first game and theories/speculation, mostly. Nothing but the leaked trophies has had any real spoilers, and even that had no context around it.

Yeah, having read them even the trophies don't spoil anything besides confirming a character or two and one reveal that, on consideration of potential context, might not even be a major twist. The whole conversation is just :speculate: at this point, on my part at least because it's something to do to stave off impatience for being able to just play already. I've got plenty more where the spoilered one came from, like that Jacket and Hooker's relationship wasn't actually anywhere near as idyllic as the inter-level sequences appear, but I doubt that's even a thing that will matter in HM2.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

weekly font posted:

Yeah this is the thing that makes me the most hesitant. I was fine with four Helmet missions at the end but various levels interspersed throughout the game with variations on that theme sound daunting when you just want to smash faces with a golf club.

I'm a little concerned about the enforced playstyles, but for now the level editor is still there in my mind to allow for freeform play down the line.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
One thing I noticed in the half-hour I played (on a laptop with a touchpad, and I still didn't find the first three real levels too frustrating), in the first crime scene investigation: There was a brief flash, like a camera flash, while I was reading dialogue, and then what looked like a phantom boom mike man appeared and faded away, standing over the corpse. So that's weird...

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

RBA Starblade posted:

I saw something too but I was looking at the text so I couldn't see what exactly.

Yeah, I only looked up from the text because of the camera flash, which was what led me to see it.

Jizz Festival posted:

That would be them taking pictures of the crime scene.

That's what I assumed, but then I noticed the phantom boom mike man fading out and was just confused instead.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Dangerous Person posted:

Just got home and did two levels. loving awesome game.

this is gonna be me in an hour and a half oh boy

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Anatharon posted:

The Pig Butcher as someone else earlier in the thread pointed out (Tiler Kiwi maybe? Not sure.) is basically a mini version of the entire plot. He becomes obsessed with violence until it ultimately consumes him for reasons he doesn't understand.

One detail I have seen mentioned by anyone from Final Cut is the script on the table in the apartment. It describes Pig Butcher arriving in the interrogation room, but instead of being shot, he attacks the girl again (the script cuts off but further rape is implied). So Martin might not even have known how the scene was really going to go. It also adds to the idea that the Director is the one who switched in a real gun, since he'd be the one you'd expect to control everyone's copies of the script. Ultimately Martin dies, for reasons he doesn't understand, without even thinking he could be hurt in that moment. Live by the meat hammer, die by the meat hammer.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Yeah, if we're using HM1 dialogue as evidence, the cop at Jacket's hospital room calls Richter "the guy who shot 'em", which indicates he's speaking about both Jacket and his girlfriend.[spoiler] I think it just makes the most sense to assume [spoiler]Jacket and Biker each hosed the other up, with no real winner or loser, as far as HM2 canon goes.

Also, Biker's appearance is in a bar full of various characters who are both dead and alive by the given date: The Fans, Son and Henchman are all there, and so is what looks like The Son's dad from HM1, all of whom I'm pretty sure are dead by that point, not to mention the bartender is Beard. It's basically the bar from Fallout 2 where you find Dogmeat, full of characters who shouldn't necessarily even be around any more. Schrödinger's drinking establishment.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Wilhelm_Scream.wav posted:

Am I the only one who didn't think Dead Ahead wasnt that bad

Nope, I didn't mind it either. Had 11 minutes total time for my first blind run, compared to thirty for Death Wish. So far I'm definitely enjoying this game! Even the second Soldier level didn't piss me off much.

Of course I just got to Casualties, so we'll see how long that lasts...

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Just cleared Casualties in 8 minutes first run, git gud scrublords :smug:

I barely made par score and totally see all the issues with it as a level, since I only had as easy a time as I did thanks to shameless abuse of securing the ammo crate then farming sniper kills. The first screen patrols are super crap.

Still having fun though!

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

emanresu tnuocca posted:

So reading some of the plot summary posts in this thread I got a little confused, the soldier character is not the 50 blessings janitor/pizza guy from the first game? I mean, obviously if the injured guy is Jacket I'd expect him to recognize the soldier but the art is identical (or perhaps my memory is playing tricks on me?).

The Soldier is Beard, the bartender/convenience store & VHS shop owner from the first game. All the Hawaii missions take place before HM1. Beard is not on of the Janitors.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I always assumed The Fans were in their late teens or early 20s. I couldn't tell you why beyond associating their impromptu gear in the comic with raiding their gym's supplies, and also their pizza eating (though Jacket did that too). This does throw a wrench in the works for them being actually in Hawaii, but that wouldn't be the worst timeline confusion, which I think belongs to Richter and his mom watching an interview with Martin just before the bombs fall, which doesn't seem to leave time for Final Cut and Martin's death, unless it's prerecorded or something, but still seems strange since I think I remember a newspaper that seemed to be talking about Midnight Animal like it'd been released.

Basically just don't think too hard about the timeline and you'll be fine.

e:

Phil Niekro posted:

Who is in the bathroom at the bar of broken heroes ? I I recognized everyone but him.

It's Pardo.

RandallODim fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Mar 16, 2015

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Zaphod42 posted:

Another thing is that those guys were BUGGY AS gently caress for me. Literally 50% of the time, they wouldn't agro. They'd just stand there and stare at me. The only way to get them to agro would be to walk up to melee range, and then they'd hop on you and you're dead. Its loving bullshit.

Yeah, the guy in the hallway if he doesn't agro, you can just throw at him, but the guys in the cells? You can't shoot at them, they duck. If you stay outside, they bug up and never come outside. You have to walk into the cell and then you have all of .2 milliseconds to respond before they kill you. Its horseshit.

I think I had this problem once, and all I did was crack the guy in the face with a pipe as I opened his cell door, and that was after trying everything I could to just walk in front of his window to lure him out. Every other unarmed prisoner I could generally throw a thing at from outside aggro.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Beekeeping and You posted:

Pardo murders him while he's trying to surrender at the end of Death Wish, I think.

Detective Pardo shot a dangerous criminal, and it's only a pity we don't have more brave officers with movie star good looks like him.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

Well at the end of hotline miami 1, Jacket burns a photograph that is the same as the one Beard gives the guy he rescues. Additionally, they look the same, have the same habit of constantly smoking and both never talk.

A little late but I never felt likeJacket burned the photo. He takes it out, looks at it while smoking, then lets it go into the wind. Burning it doesn't seem to make sense.

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

He actually says "losing your girlfriend". It might be sadder than just a breakup.

Basically, this is Jacket starting to get coma dreams, and Richter shot his girlfriend quite recently from his frame of reference. So his Beard-construct-fantasy dude is offering condolences on that.

It's two different conversations. The one before Beard gets nuked in HM2 is ambiguous as to what Beard is talking about, but could be him consoling Jacket about a break-up. The one after the first stage of HM1 has Beard explicitly consoling Jacket for the loss of his girlfriend, which is part of the coma dreams, pre-emptively about Richter shooting Hooker.

RandallODim fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 28, 2015

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

How in gods name are you supposed to do the third screen of The Abyss without using guns?

I made it by strafing into guys' vision for a moment before running away to pull them around doorways and corners.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Man, that just reminded me how sad the Henchman's whole plot is. Especially the connection between his perfect dream and Mary's note. As Richard points out, Mary isn't in the dream. She's right: He would have done the same thing. :smith:

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Pharmaskittle posted:

FUCKIN DRILL'S STOPPED

Drill's jammed (through their forehead)!

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

scamtank posted:

Yeah, it was just a nightmare he had. He goes and digs the revolver out of the drawer to make sure that he didn't forget it on the crime scene with his prints on it. He's definitely getting more and more paranoid to the point where he's barricaded himself in by the time the bombs go off.

I didn't even interpret it as making sure he didn't forget it. He's just so paranoid now that the cops are onto him that he's getting the gun so he's ready when they come for him. The irony, of course, being that they aren't going to, because no one really cares about the Miami Mutilator enough to investigate it.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I had a lot of fun playing Blood Dragon. It let me flip people's bodies off after blasting them with my awesome shotgun. That was great.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
As someone who liked Hotline Miami 2, I still understand and agree with most of the criticisms of it in this thread. I just also liked the game.

The fact that I didn't repeatedly slam my sensitive bits in the door that is A+ing Hard might also have something to do with this.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I like Hotline Miami 2.

please slay this zombie thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Skunkrocker posted:

There is no zoom. All the middle mouse button does is scroll left and right slightly, but does move the level vertically down several pixels to access the top two rows of the editable space. It is difficult to work with, but I've been managing.

I got a badass Henchman campaign in the works. Only one level left to make. I recycled one of my previous levels because I wrote myself into a corner, but the whole thing is coming out great. Solid five or so levels. Should be done today or tomorrow.

I liked your previous Hammer map, so I'm looking forward to this!

• Locked thread