Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Anatharon posted:

I suggest Steam greenlight hit "hatred" as a similar ga'me.

At least the enemies in Hotline Miami shoot back most of the time

edit: Well, not if you're fast enough, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Watching The Guest ATM thanks to this thread and man it is great, I've just gotten to the part where everything goes nuts and I am loving it!

edit: drat that was a good movie. If you went into it expecting the type of movie that the first third or so is, you would come out of it acting like you'd just played Spec-Ops: The Line blind.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 8, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Hatred looks like Hotline Miami but without the visuals, music, gameplay or underlying commentary. It has drummed a lot of press on its premise but it'll commit the sin of being boring and try-hard. The only novelty is the main character being Nathan Explosion.

Hatred is seriously just Postal 1 with 99% of the colors removed. A lot of people who compare it with Postal forget that the series started out in the exact same way with literally the exact same premise almost to the word: A guy is disillusioned with the world after being evicted from his house and goes crazy so he goes around his town blowing away helpless civilians until the cops come at which point he shoots at the cops. Postal 2 is what happened when Running With Scissors realized oh wait that's stupid and did something actually entertaining with the series.

Hotline Miami is like that, except the people you are shooting at are shooting back at you (or running straight at your face with golf clubs I guess). Neither HM nor Postal 1 make any bones about your guy being a good person for what they do, but Hatred does by playing up the "they all deserve it" angle, and that's the actual reason why it's dumb imo. It's the context.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Mar 8, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If you go melee only (or fists only) you can effectively play Hotline Miami as a stealth game if you want, but imo it's a lot more fun to go in guns blazing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Eaten by Tigers posted:

I really think Knock Knock does a better job of showing off how loving pissed Jacket is at that point than the actual track in the gamed named Vengeance.

Bringing this back from a few pages ago to say god drat I had forgotten that this is my favorite song on the soundtrack!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YobyKGXootM

I really need to play through the game again in preparation. :allears:

edit: Oh great the spoiler tags are here. Well see you after I play HM2 thread.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Mar 9, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

osietra posted:

The masturbating over the soundtrack is tedious and undeserved. Even someone like Rob Hubbard could replicate and improve on the 48k computer music.

And the fixating over the simpleton plot is just pointless.

There's no loving lore, but there is rape. Which will be impossible to find arousing, due to the fact that it's only pixels.

Didn't know one of the janitors bought an account

Now say all video games are pointless and put on a tracksuit and you'll be the perfect cosplay

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

PoPcornTG posted:

Sorry if this has been asked already. But what is going to be the easiest way for someone in Australia to get this game?

The devs said it's ok to pirate it in Aus unless (until?) it gets classification (yes really). Obviously you'll have to look up how/where to do that yourself though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Anatharon posted:

Apparently Jacket in Payday 2 just shows his face and isn't covered or anything. :geno:

Because of the way PD2 works he kind of has to until he puts a mask on.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

For those interested, here's PD2 Jacket (with sunglasses mask). Popular opinion is that he looks kinda like Michael Cera. The voice recorder he uses for all his lines is kinda spooky/cool.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Disgusting Coward posted:

What a pretentious cock. I want to use an electric drill on his head.

Welcome to Rock Paper Shotgun. Being pretentious is basically required on your job application for that site.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
2 minutes and 15 seconds until I will be hurting other people! See you when I beat the game thread! :toot:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Posting in mid-play session to say that this is probably the most frustrating video game I've ever played. The AI seems even more random and psychic than in the first game, and the bigger rooms and tiny FOV mean it's way easier to get shot from offscreen or bum-rushed by a million dudes. I'm having a lot of fun but MAN I forgot how batshit hard this game is.

edit: I disagree with the rest of the criticisms the early reviews had though. I like the story in this one even if I don't properly understand it yet. I've also been lucky enough to have exactly 0 game-stopping bugs although one time I did get killed through a wall by a dude with a pipe, but that happened in HM1 too.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I've got to say, I'm kind of agreeing with the review that said the game adds more good without fixing any of the previously existing bad. All of the problems I encountered with Hotline Miami 1 are still prevalent which is pretty disappointing. The new stuff is pretty cool though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Cool a level where the floor is dark brown and the level is intentionally dimly lit sure is fun pixel hunting for all these lightning fast attack dogs :geno:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Man, these last few levels are crazy amounts of not fun. It's actually impressive how such a little change to the level design can take what I like about the game and just throw it out the window. As sad as it makes me, if I replay this at some point in the future I think I'm probably gonna have to force myself because it feels like just a big mess of ideas all at once. And don't get me wrong, I'm still enjoying the game and I do feel it is worth the price even if I'm not going to get that much out of it personally (others might)... it's just that the game starts strong and ends kinda weak imo.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Beat the game. Excited for other people to uncover the game's secrets because I don't care enough to do so. Probably not going to play it again unless there's something cool for doing so.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
lol at people unironically saying "git gud scrub" in 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

TheJoker138 posted:

So from going back and looking at the scene with Biker, I'm going to guess the canon way his and Jacket's fight went was basically a stale mate. He has the eye injury that Jacket gave him when he whacked him in the face and broke his helmet, but is obviously not dead. I'm guessing they both beat the gently caress out of each other and escaped, neither really "winning." Also it would seem that the canon ending is Biker not finishing the puzzle from the first game and not finding out the motivations of the Janitors. Also I wonder who the guy he met in the desert is.

According to the devs canonically Biker won the fight but did not kill Jacket, and Jacket got taken into custody. So... neither of the two outcomes of the fight in the first game, for some reason.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Presumably they didn't mean that the canonical first game literally ends at the phone hom place. What I took it to mean is that neither of them died in the fight, so they went their own separate ways, and Jacket got taken into custody AFTER his whole thing with killing the mafia boss happened, so the devs' retcon makes both endings canon.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Extracting the game files to poke around in them is fun. It's also how I learned what half the arcade machines are supposed to be!

Like the Binding of Isaac one!

or the Nidhogg one!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I found this in the game files in the faces folder, it appears to be Hoxton's mask from Payday. Does it... appear anywhere in the game? I can't recall seeing it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

TheJoker138 posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a bunch of as of now unused poo poo that will be available for use when the level editor comes out.

Possibly. It could also be part of the Payday 2 stuff you get with the digital edition, maybe there would've originally been a popup or whatever at the main menu to go like "hey you bought this game now go play payday 2 because you get a whole bunch of poo poo" or something.

Man I can't wait for the level editor. The interface icons for it are already in the game files, presumably they're still working on getting it ready though.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 11, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ghost Head posted:

The reason everyone is so upset is that people who post in this forum are notoriously poo poo at video games. Any game that doesn't hold your hand like a little baby will have a massive contingent of people who get angry or upset at it. All the posts wailing about being killed by guys off screen pretty much signaled to me that the problem was with the players here, not the game.

Please stop posting here and go back to the dark souls threads on 4chan where you belong, tia

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Broseph Brostar posted:

Not only this, but goons always overhype themselves before release for every game, then are surprised when it doesn't live up to their inflated expectations.

I'm just surprised at how quickly the Games-cycle developed for this game. We have already had somebody calling the thread a hugbox the day after release :psyduck:

Ghost Head posted:

The reason everyone is so upset is that people who post in this forum are notoriously poo poo at video games. Any game that doesn't hold your hand like a little baby will have a massive contingent of people who get angry or upset at it. All the posts wailing about being killed by guys off screen pretty much signaled to me that the problem was with the players here, not the game.

Hey I'm just posting here to tell you all that actually the problem is with you not the game, not going to expound upon that at all I'm just gonna SAY it and maybe post :smug: or :c00l: I dunno ha ha anyway see ya later losers *gets S rank on every level the first time through because I'm so good at video games and also have a big penis*

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's what you sound like.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"Do you like blowing up other people's furniture?" is the real question you should be asking. Man, there is a lot of destructible poo poo in this game!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Getting S-ranks is surprisingly easy on the fan levels if you just play as Alex/Ash and tear through everything, especially on the levels where you start off playing as other fans, just because they were designed for the fans you're forced to use the first time through.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

King Vidiot posted:

Is that moment in the intro? Because I set that option to off because I thought "off" meant censorship off, but I guess it meant that particular scene off. Which makes no sense, they were really unclear on which option kept that scene in.

But it's no big loss, I don't feel like I missed anything apart from seeing what all the pre-release fuss was about.

Doesn't the option at first launch like literally say "Do you want to see scenes with graphic sexual violence"?

edit: Either way, yes, that's the only time it changes anything and yes it does happen at the very start of the game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Specifically you can't do it when the eyes are red, you have to do it just after their attack but before they recover.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Geight posted:

Beat the game, I mostly had fun but I'm not gonna pretend some levels were more frustrating than others. Mostly the fifth act's stuff, [spoilers]Richter's flashback levels.[/spoiler]. The end was fuckin solid though.

Briefly skimming through the thread I see that there's a Hard mode and some secret content for me to find, anything I should know about either of those?

You can replay chapters on Hard Mode via Continue after you beat the game. It basically does what it says, makes the game harder.

Oh and it also flips/mirrors the game world. Have fun!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

This screenshot from a friend of mine is basically hotline miami 2.png. Very few times did you spawn in an unwinnable situation in the first game but there's literally nothing he can do here, so even after clearing the previous levels of this chapter he now has to restart the whole thing which really sucks. And to be fair, it doesn't happen extremely frequently in this game either, but it's definitely possible enough to be noteworthy.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I want to see a cut of either HM1 or HM2 that has all of the deaths removed, only successful runs. Just to see how short the game is if you play absolutely perfect. :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Pretty much what the cheevo says. Just follow the tutorial prompts in the very beginning of the pilot to the letter and you'll get it. You might have to pick up/throw the hammer a few times before the swing prompt comes up, and the shotgun is the same color as the wall so I missed it on my first playthrough.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Please turn off vsync literally immediately, from the very moment you start up the game. It does nothing but bad.

edit: I mean unless you like nauseating amounts of mouse acceleration at any reasonable distance from your character. If you want to steer your camera like it's a boat then go ahead!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zinkraptor posted:

If I had to guess, the intended method there is to... knock over the first guy in the room, pick up his bat/pipe, throw it at the shotgun guy, pick up his shotgun, blast the fat guy, use the last two bullets to force the samurai to duck to buy some time, pick up a melee weapon, clean up.

Basically what you have to do is the logical endpoint of what you have to do in the normal mode version: You have to bait the melee guy closest to the door outside without you going into the hallway because that erects an invisible wall behind you so you can't go back out, then kill him. Then you take his weapon and either bait the next melee guy or throw it at him and execute him if he's out of the line of sight of the fat dude. THEN you have to wait until the shotgun guy is about to come around the corner and bum-rush him, hopefully killing him instead of knocking him down so you can backpedal while the fat guy and the sword guys chase you; THEN you have to kill the sword guys while running circles around the fat guy until you can get back to the shotgun and swap your melee for it and shoot the fat guy.

good loving luck

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm replaying Hotline 1 just to see if my view of 2 is affected by rose tinted glasses, and two things I've noticed so far:

1. Hotline 1 is WAY more focused on melee which I think is interesting because the melee is a lot more unforgiving than in 2. Like, in 1 melee is basically a matter of who clicks first once you're in range, you or the enemy. In 2 they give you a split second to react before the enemy swings. I'm not going to say that's a bad point for either game, but it is different.

2. You can hold space over a dude you've knocked down to use them as a human shield in Hotline 1! I forgot you could do that and I don't think you can do it in 2, which sucks, especially because of 2's much higher focus on guns.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 13, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Pro tip for the nightclub level by the way: On the first stage there's a guy that stands stock-still beneath a set dressing bush in the top left corner of the map so if you magically get shot by a shotgun from nowhere, it's that guy.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Pharmaskittle posted:

Like, Richard appears to a bunch of people who don't know each other but still acts in a consistent way.

Personally I think it's because it's nothing supernatural, but what Richard the character represents in a person's mind. The reason his character is consistent whenever he appears is because he represents elements of HM2's characters that persist within all of them.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Moartoast posted:

Does Beams by Tape actually show up anywhere in the game at all? It's not in the official soundtrack and I haven't bothered using the .wad extractor to check the game files. Kind of a shame if it really did get cut, it'd fit right in with the rest of the soundtrack as a somber, chill-rear end piece.

From a quick comb-through, it's not in the game files. There is one named Beams.ogg but it's actually the title screen music. I could've sworn I heard it in the game between chapters once but maybe I'm just imagining it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

• Locked thread