Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Pharmaskittle posted:

When it comes to masks, everything just feels gimmicky and situational compared to faster movement.

This is the sound of someone who has never used Zack to string combos between every single living thing on multiple floors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Well, the disco level had the cover of Perturbator's Terror 404 in it, and we heard Sexualiser off the EP in that pic in one of the gameplay videos.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

What about the huge black guys you can only kill with a shotgun?

Uh that's clearly reverse racism

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Exposure adds quite a bit to your score - killing people without them seeing you gets you less points than butchering a horde of russians all running towards you. I think your best bet is chaining long combos with melee weapons, though, which means you want the Frog mask.

I did a run a while back where I went through each floor of each level in unbroken melee chains, except where basically forced to use guns. It's surprisingly doable, you just need to plan your route and realise that if you need to extend your combo you can throw your weapon to add another hit and reset the timeout.

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Feb 23, 2015

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Chairman Wao posted:

I'm psyched Carpenter Brut is going to have a couple/few songs in the game after being featured in the Dial Tone trailer.

If your haven't listened to Carpenter Brut, he's posted most if not all the songs from his 3 EPs on YouTube and his music is loving awesome.

It's all here, dude

http://carpenterbrut.bandcamp.com

Almost all of the artists on the hotline miami soundtracks have all their stuff available on Bandcamp, incidentally. Shitloads of them are on Spotify, as well.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Pharmaskittle posted:

Not gonna post any because I'm on my phone and they have identifying info I'd have to edit out and, again, they're really amateur because I just cludge images together and throw in a filter that makes it fit with the rest of the poster, but like I've cut out Jacket from this and desaturated him aside from red highlights for one:

is it just me or are his fingers terrifyingly long

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Dolash posted:

It's really only a pity that I didn't find the game itself very fun. I tried it once and found the controls too unwieldy

Disregarding the abject shame you should feel - were you using a controller, or keyboard and mouse? Keyboard and mouse I was able to zoom through with the grace of a murderous gazelle, whereas with a controller I was bumping into things and missing pickups.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, I discovered this group recently and these guys are drat good. Near Dark is better than Out of Body though. :colbert:

no

I think we can all agree that Into The Abyss is bad, though.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Butt Ghost posted:

A good way to train yourself is to use Zack and start going for A+ ranks.

your advice to a first-time player attempting to get the game to "click" is to use a mask obtained in one of the final levels and to try and go for extremely long combos

i see

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

This may not be exactly what you're looking for, but have you considered A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Songbearer posted:

the catchy wubba-dubba-dub-dub in the background

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

RandallODim posted:

Also, having just played through the first again, I feel pretty convinced that Beard is Richter. It fits with Richard's statement that "Someone you know is not who you think he is", which doesn't have anyone else to really apply to in the first game, besides maybe the phone voice, and that feels like stretching. If you take the perspective that everything before Trauma is in Jacket's head, the imagery of Richter killing and replacing Beard could just as much represent Beard 'becoming' Richter, a way of understanding the transformation of Beard/Richter from Jacket's friend to his enemy after he's ambushed by him. Also, though this isn't necessarily proof, they've got the same head sprite, so that at least gives a direct link between the two. It could just be a matter of recycling assets, but I don't think any other face sprites are reused for different characters, so it would seem to make sense. I'm sure this is a pretty common theory, but it really clicked for me on the most recent playthrough.

Yeah, I still struggle to see how this is not the case.

I mean, Richter's got a stubble-rashed face, and there's a scene in the grocery store where you see him shaving at a bathroom sink. Unless that's supposed to indicate he's an out-of-town drifter, or something.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Maaan why did they change the shift-look mechanic? It used to basically just decouple the camera from your character - now it zips the screen all the way in the direction your mouse is pointing. It basically means you can't react quickly as you can't have the camera hovering around your character if you're holding shift.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Second Fans level is an exercise in frustration, woo.

The first floor's really awesome because it's shitloads of tiny rooms with loads of doors and vectors of approach. Second one is a big warehouse surrounded by a vast corridor full of guys with guns and also dogs :q:

It's weird, I don't remember being bothered by dying in the first one, but because the floors are a lot bigger now you lose more progress and it's more of an annoyance.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Lasher posted:

forgot you barely get any ammo from the crates

I wonder why they decided that this should be a thing? It's a really weird design choice, especially because you can't switch guns.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Trick Question posted:

It's a frustrating level to be sure.

Mods please rename thread to this

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Discendo Vox posted:

I love it- stockholm syndrome is in full effect.

whereas this appears to be textbook dyslexia

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i don't know why i can't stop laughing at blinking, toothed Richard when he's a still image

the german is icing on the cake

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Shut the gently caress up. There's no point in comparing Hotline Miami to Katamari because they're completely different games.

do you like conglomerating other people

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

It's a puppet so you won't go "oh hey it's another person, I wonder who he is, he's not popped up in the plot yet". You will instead be aware that something fucky is going on.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

FutureFriend posted:

Don't really know how he heard about Richter.

Well, he does keep a lot of newspaper clippings. I thought they were spread out all over his apartment before going to attack the police station?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

do you like sperging at other people

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

could someone please tell me if i do, in fact, enjoy hurting other people

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

hnnrrrg why does nuclear plant meltdown have same screen transition as implied nuclear explosion?? me am confused

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Shoehead posted:

It's my favourite Perturbator song. I've listened to the original track so much that the new solo throws me off

I think it's because suddenly getting OOOHHH... AHHHH... UHHHHH....OHHHH... UUGGHHHHH... in the middle of a Hotline Miami level would completely throw you off your game

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

King Vidiot posted:

But this is the only right way to play. It's the people diving straight into Hard and playing through it on the day after release that get bitter and resentful about the game and do nothing but shitpost about how bad the game is, the rest of us chill people take it easy, dip into Normal to max out our level rankings and only then do we try Hard. The game's much more enjoyable that way.

You've just made this up.

swamp waste posted:

I loving dont like it and there is so much of it. Somehow there are more guys than it seems like there should be. Fat, nimble black men bodyslam through doors, unpack themselves from shelves, shimmy through air ducts, yearning to punch me in the face. My bugeyed fuckup hero cant harm them with a machete but can somehow pick out the only empty shotgun from a pile of gore-soaked shotguns. This is someone's fantasy, but not mine. A thug with severely limited powers of object permanence whips around and performs a sick 180 noscope headshot on me through many panes of glass. The background music has looped four times already.

yessssSSS

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Jehde posted:

The score screen is one of HLM's best features. I don't like that they made it only one screen for HLM2 though. It was more satisfying in HLM1 when the second screen would take like a minute to count up all your exposure and combo bonuses before giving you your grade.

BIG BALLS
  BIG BALLS
BIG BALLS
  BIG BALLS
BIG BALLS
  BIG BALLS
BIG BALLS
  BIG BALLS
BIG BALLS
  BIG BALLS
BIG BALLS
  BIG BALLS
BIG BALLS
  BIG BALLS
BIG BALLS
  BIG BALLS
BIG BALLS
  BIG BALLS
BIG BALLS
  BIG BALLS
BIG BALLS
  BIG BALLS
BIG BALLS
  BIG BALLS
BIG BALLS
  BIG BALLS

e:

Zaphod42 posted:

Uh, is that all? What about the fans, the son, the writer, the cop, Riker, the hitman, and the jungle commandos?

I guess if it has those two it probably has the rest? :ohdear:

are you being deliberately obtuse

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Wampa Stompa posted:

In terms of the story, who are the two dead guys in the Son's office at the start of mission 23? The one is slumped dead on the couch, and the other is being used as a punching bag. Also, why does Pardo try to see the Son in his office?

Columbians.

Probably to try and kill him.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Firstborn posted:

Well, I know it's a cool guy thing to do to pretend like you are above playing a sequel to a good game, but I'd like to play a sequel to this good game. Nothing about the ~artist vision~ or ~indie integrity~, I just took a peek at his portfolio and these two games are the only thing that has piqued my interest and I want more. Sorry if that's a bad opinion. I'd buy HLM3 day one.

I'm not so keen to play a game the developer really doesn't want to make. Nothing "cool" about it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

get better friends

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

GO TO CAR (BUT ALSO MAYBE KILL THE SISTER IF YOU OH RIGHT OK PRESS R TO RESTART)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I have no idea. I've never felt the need to group the music in any way other than by stage and by character.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

They ultimately decide it should be 49 blessings because really, who could consider Florida a blessing

Hawaii's probably not a US state anymore so 49 does kinda work.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

to cut down on Harpline Miami quips

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Don't quote him you gbs piece of poo poo

yeah. please do not engage with skunkrocker, it's best for everyone

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

What does the B stand for on his jacket

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

oh my god i just realised what it stands for

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

oh my god there's no toilet in Jacket's apartment

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I do not think anybody cares about your squalid living conditions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

fat Ghost Wolf dude is a teacher; jake works (worked) in a scrapyard, if we're assuming the comic's to be trusted

even if we're not, holy poo poo can you imagine jake as a teacher

• Locked thread