Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kedo
Nov 27, 2007

This is of interest to me. I generally ride a bunch on the weekend around VA, but am up for anything really. I need some new routes!

Bike: '12 Honda cbr250
Years ridden: ½
Down for: Any rides that aren't on the beltway (because I like life), meetups, track fun

Also: do people usually use headsets or something for group rides? I have a Sena headset that I usually pair with my phone for music, but I have no idea how easy it is to set up an ad hoc network with other riders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Koruthaiolos posted:

But where's the stop lights, pedestrians, and traffic? I don't believe this place actually exists.

Yeah no kidding, where's that road at? I keep trying to find stuff like that near DC and while there are a few fun twisties (Georgetown Pike, for example), they're clogged with traffic and are nowhere near that long.

Speaking of which, anyone have some good rides within like an hour of the district to share?

kedo fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jun 26, 2013

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Sounds like I need to target roads a bit better; a lot of these are no further out than the roads I normally ride on, but they look like way more fun.

And yeah – Rock Creek Pkwy to Beach Drive is super fun, but you lose some of the best bits during the weekend closures. I hadn't heard of Sligo Creek Pkwy before, I may give that a shot this weekend.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

I had all sorts of ideas for getting the bike under a parking garage till you said "Adams Morgan". At this point my only advice it to keep your insurance up to date.

Yeah, if your building doesn't have a garage I can only think of one public garage in the area which is on the street behind all the bars on 18th. If I remember correctly it's a Colonial Parking place, and I think they tend to do monthly parking at most locations, but have no idea how much it'd cost. Probably a lot.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Any of you tried Coleman Powersports for service? I have a Honda bike and they're a Honda dealership so I figured I'd be lazy and use them.

I am currently 700 miles past my 600 mile service :ohdear:

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

:argh: drat you slow repair shop! Wish I could have made that ride... I've been wanting to do Skyline for a long time, but I'm only ever there when hiking so I'm never on my bike.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

HNasty posted:

the man is out to ruin my summer

Well now you have to tell us what you did.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I rode throughout winter last year except for when it was icy. I never went incredibly fast because I don't have warm enough clothes, but a pair of jeans with long underwear, my leather jacket + zip-in liner, and a pair of really warm gloves were enough for general bumming around the city.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I was going to say... that's like a five hour drive from DC, it'd better be amazing.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

hot sauce posted:

:siren:for anyone who lives in DC proper, you will now be seeing much more colorful things doing wheelies down your street:siren:

Wait wait. You can ride 4-wheelers on the street? :psyduck:

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

hot sauce posted:

Anyone have any ideas on how to prevent it moving forward?

Install a bollard for the trash truck and a motion activated light for the sex and poo poo.

Either that or a bunch of condoms and a smarmy "who's up for a threesome :heysexy:" pickup line for the sex. Your choice.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Definitely do not ride on the beltway if you're fresh out of a beginner class. Not only will it be terrifying, but your reflexes probably aren't up to snuff in case the poo poo hits the fan.

You could probably take surface streets all the way from Monrovia back to Arlington, but you'd want to give yourself at least an entire afternoon to do so. Unless you can memorize a long, complex route, or have a cell phone cradle ready to install when you buy the bike, you're going to need to stop occasionally to figure out your next few turns.

If you buy a bike (even a used one) from a dealer they will deliver it to you for a fee. This is what I did when I got my first bike. Then I spent the first few weeks riding around my neighborhood so I could both get used to the bike and riding in traffic in an area where I knew where I was going and felt comfortable. I'm also in Arlington... as long as you're not on Columbia Pike traffic will be very manageable.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Agreed, there are lots of little roads off Falls Road that are twisty and fun.

I always enjoy messing around in Rock Creek Park as well if I don't feel like leaving the city. You can't get going too fast as there are always a bunch of park service cops around, but they're still fun roads.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Just posted this in the DC LAN thread, but I'm selling my bike if anyone is interested. It's a red 2012 Honda CBR 250R ABS. Never dropped, ~1200 miles. I rode it a lot the first year I had it (got it late in the season), but then ended up riding different bikes my second year so it only has very light use. It's been sitting in the garage for the last year and a half collecting dust, so it's time for it to move on. Doesn't start at the moment, but I assume that's because the battery is dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Speaking of for sale – I have a low mileage 2012 Honda CBR250RA for sale if anyone is looking for a good starter/city bike. It's been sitting in the garage for a few years so the battery is dead but it's otherwise in great condition as far as I know. I've been trying to get rid of it for awhile, so it can be had cheaply if you're willing to pick it up and take it away.

• Locked thread