Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Bah, CEL is back AND I found body damage I didn't know about.

One thing at a time I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
boo sorry friend.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

It's...whatever. I'll clean the MAP tomorrow and escalate from there. and the body damage isn't awful it looks like I got scraped in a parking lot.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 20, 2024

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Got a ding in the same place and the local shop quoted 11 grand for a fix and paint. The ding is still there.

Anyway, my 17 GTI (DSG) has been doing a weird thing where it doesn’t seem to want to shift into reverse or drive as snappily as it used to at times. Pausing or shifting out and back into the desired gear will fix it but it is a bit concerning. Maybe the clutch is wearing out?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

For 11 grand I'd down payment a new one just like it.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Speaking of CELs my 2013 GTI throws a “cooling system performance” CEL every so often, especially when we have these 70s days into 40s nights and I’m driving home at 6 am. Probably a coolant temp sensor gets something kind of wacky, the heater blows hot and the engine doesn’t overheat so :confused:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

That's an odd one, unfortunately I don't have any insight. I discovered that my MAP is filthy and cleaned it with a can of $12 cleaner that i suspect was just aerosol isopropyl alcohol, and we will see if the problem comes back

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
I've been thinking about getting a MK8 Golf R and these posts are making me nervous.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

I've been thinking about getting a MK8 Golf R and these posts are making me nervous.

my mk7 has been great for 30,000 miles. i have posted a lot about this problem but i have only been diagnosing it for half a day. and the body issue is of course just some dickhead in a parking lot. I suspect it'll clean up.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 20, 2024

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
all cars are kinda poo poo.

if you are willing to put in some work you are already ahead

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

If you want to be more nervous then join some MK8 Facebook groups. I don't own one and the amount of people with weird problems on nearly-new cars is why. I'm hoping they fix things for the 8.5.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 21 days!)

grahm posted:

If you want to be more nervous then join some MK8 Facebook groups. I don't own one and the amount of people with weird problems on nearly-new cars is why. I'm hoping they fix things for the 8.5.

Only real issue I'm aware of from going to time attack events with a Golf R and RS3 is that the DSG overheats when doing cornering and goes into limp mode. Not even improved cooling mods help it. Overall it seems to be pretty fast and reliable as long as it's not a go kart track.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

grahm posted:

Ugh, I guess I should go and take a look. I'm still considering a manual transmission, even though it's really the bad choice here. One of the dealers here is getting one that's in my ideal configuration: MT, no sunroof and blue.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

grahm posted:

I owned two Elantra Ns (one DCT, one manual) before my FL5 and that is an incredible car for the money. The driver inputs are not CTR level but I would argue it's almost as fun to drive on the street. Also the DCT in that car is better than the one in my RS3 (the manual is "fine" but was still more fun to me than the DCT). The interior looks sorta garbage with that flimsy grab handle, but has all physical controls and the infotainment is great. If they offered it in a hatchback or wagon I'm not sure I would've made the move to Type R.

Probably the biggest downside of that car is Hyundai dealers combined with not-bulletproof reliability. It seems like a lot people have no problems but there's a common-enough problem that can happen in a car wash or heavy rain which causes the knock sensor to fault and the car to go into limp mode. I never had that happen to either of my cars thank god but I would not want to have to work with Hyundai to fix that.
Just catching up with the thread for the first time in a while, I thought the car wash/heavy rain thing was just for the Kona N :v:. Luckily I haven't gotten bitten by it, but I am super paranoid about it. No clue how common it is, but it's enough to be a known thing. Supposedly if you have a OBD scanner you can just clear the code and be off, but haven't gotten one yet myself.

Speaking of which, any recs for a cheap one and/or iPhone compatible dongle/app?

dissss posted:

While I know it's been significantly revised I still can't get over the Hyundai N cars using a version of the same crappy engine I had in my 2015 Sonata.
I think the most amusing combo off the top of my head are Lotuses using Toyota engines. The ol' Camry V6 (plus supercharger and manual tranny) are doin good work in the Emira.

Warbird posted:

That's kind of where I am. I don't really want to get rid of mine but the second kid means that space is now a whole thing. We've done fine by just tossing one kid's seat in each car as they rarely need to be both out at the same time at their current age but it's coming. I'd also be interested in messing with an EV but as best I can tell there isn't anything GTI-ish in the space right now. Maybe if they do an electric Golf like they mentioned.

Regardless we aren't, can't, and don't want to be a 3 car household so in a holding pattern we remain.
Ioniq 5 N :v:, j/k they're huge and will probably cost a shitload. It feels like the Volvo EX30 is the only small EV I can think of with decent range (in the US). Sounds like it handles well enough from reviews, but not sure it's necessarily anything like a hot hatch. If you need a little more space there's the XC40 too but I imagine that'll be a bit softer. Still has the stupid acceleration/power for its class at least.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Ugh, I guess I should go and take a look. I'm still considering a manual transmission, even though it's really the bad choice here. One of the dealers here is getting one that's in my ideal configuration: MT, no sunroof and blue.

it's never a bad choice, you just get increasing levels of good

I say this as somebody who dailied a manual in the metro boston area for a decade and now dailies a manual in the metro new york area

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
plus it adds a bit of security if you're legit worried about people stealing your Volkswagen

(I mean, if they really really want it and have the means/space to do so, they'll put it on a tow truck or flatbed, or they'll get somebody who can drive stick to steal it, but it does seem to help with curbing the chance of theft)

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
if i could still buy the R in purple it would be on my list

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

haddedam posted:

Only real issue I'm aware of from going to time attack events with a Golf R and RS3 is that the DSG overheats when doing cornering and goes into limp mode. Not even improved cooling mods help it. Overall it seems to be pretty fast and reliable as long as it's not a go kart track.

I did a track day with my '23 RS3 and the DSG was in the green the whole day. It actually takes forevvvvver for the DSG to come up to temp in normal driving. But maybe it depends on the track and ambient temps — my day was like 75 degrees F.

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

That's the best spec! It does seem to be luck of the draw — if that's a used one, maybe check if it spent any time at the dealer?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I didn't realize there was a more specialized thread for me. That's how much of a Golf noob I am. I can't upload images right now, but in December, I drove my car (Series.White WRX) in front of a rapidly moving other car and a week later I ended up with a Golf R off the showroom floor. I only learned this weekend after 5 minutes of trying to figure out how to drive the gas cover that it locks when the doors lock.

E: the R is white and also has RallyArmor mud flaps and bronze wheels like the WRX did.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

MAP sensor clean seems to have nailed the CEL down. Still seeing warm start issues, I think that's gotta be the HPFP.

aaaand the body work. :sigh:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

carticket posted:

I didn't realize there was a more specialized thread for me. That's how much of a Golf noob I am. I can't upload images right now, but in December, I drove my car (Series.White WRX) in front of a rapidly moving other car and a week later I ended up with a Golf R off the showroom floor. I only learned this weekend after 5 minutes of trying to figure out how to drive the gas cover that it locks when the doors lock.

E: the R is white and also has RallyArmor mud flaps and bronze wheels like the WRX did.

thank you for moving in a more sensible direction. R is def a less judgemental car then a wrx and far less ticketed.

Deviant posted:

MAP sensor clean seems to have nailed the CEL down. Still seeing warm start issues, I think that's gotta be the HPFP.

aaaand the body work. :sigh:

crossing fingers for you if that holds up the problem though maybe just replace the sensors they aint that expensive and if it got crudded up somehow might not hurt to just swap it

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

CEL is back. Came off of a bad warm start.

HPFP is next.

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

thank you for moving in a more sensible direction. R is def a less judgemental car then a wrx and far less ticketed.

crossing fingers for you if that holds up the problem though maybe just replace the sensors they aint that expensive and if it got crudded up somehow might not hurt to just swap it

Link me because the cheapest MAP i see for the mk7 golf is a hundo and change

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

Times I was pulled over in that WRX in 4 years: 0
Times I was pulled over in the R in 2 months: 1
Times ticketed over both those times: 0

The R is more likely to get me a ticket based on how I've been driving it.

In the spring I'll probably go APR+ Stage 1 ECU/TCU. I'm sure that will help the situation.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

I still have no frigging idea of how I haven’t gotten a ticket on any of the three Minis in the household. My daughter and I took their red one out for a run with the DC Metro Minis crew and I drove that thing like I stole it. Any time a twisty bit came up we were in 2nd or 3rd with that little B38 3 cylinder singing the song of its people at 4000+ rpm.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 21 days!)

grahm posted:

I did a track day with my '23 RS3 and the DSG was in the green the whole day. It actually takes forevvvvver for the DSG to come up to temp in normal driving. But maybe it depends on the track and ambient temps — my day was like 75 degrees F.

Also on how twisty and fast the track is, when you are engaging the haldex in corners, it puts heat in the box which cools down on straights. Locally only one track has a straight where you exceed 120kph for more than a second and it is considered the power = win track. But I guess it's just a Baltic grassroots motorsports thing.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
Well the A35 is in the hands of the dealer as they address my beautiful hand-written list of complaints. While I'm pretty horrified at the amount of little things going wrong with the car I can't really complain about the service, dealership is 150km away and includes a $50 bridge toll, so they sent a valet to pick up my car and left me with a loaner for however long it takes.

I'm gonna be the rudest lady at the starbucks drive-thru in this thing. The proportions remind me of one of my old '98 Forrester.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Deviant posted:

CEL is back. Came off of a bad warm start.

HPFP is next.

Link me because the cheapest MAP i see for the mk7 golf is a hundo and change

thats right in the ballpark of what i was thinking, but still cheaper than taking it in.

boo. sorry friend.

carticket posted:

Times I was pulled over in that WRX in 4 years: 0
Times I was pulled over in the R in 2 months: 1
Times ticketed over both those times: 0

The R is more likely to get me a ticket based on how I've been driving it.

In the spring I'll probably go APR+ Stage 1 ECU/TCU. I'm sure that will help the situation.

lol name/post

i was referencing the reputation of the wrx not your driving

https://driving.ca/auto-news/entertainment/subaru-wrx-tops-list-of-u-s-vehicles-with-most-speeding-tickets-again

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Fuel pump went into the golf in 30 minutes flat and a minimum of prying banging and swearing.

We're 5 for 5 on successful starts, hot and cold. Let's see if it holds.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
how much?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

300 for the part to my door from autozone. it was 353, but they had a 20% off coupon on ship to home orders.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
good for you own car worker on-er

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Ran many errands today and all my starts were golden. Not calling it good just yet, but I think we're close.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So, who else now has a GTI that may randomly catch on fire due to fuel pump issues, but the recall is still "no parts available"

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a46955778/vw-fuel-tank-recall/

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

devicenull posted:

So, who else now has a GTI that may randomly catch on fire due to fuel pump issues, but the recall is still "no parts available"

I do!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

devicenull posted:

Woo, me too! Guess it's a good thing I'm in a walking boot and can't drive for the next few months?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Enos Cabell posted:

Woo, me too! Guess it's a good thing I'm in a walking boot and can't drive for the next few months?

lmbo if you're not gonna enter Valhalla backwards in your GTI on fire

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
When I picked up the A35 the former owner's Mercedes me account was still logged in so I took note of his name. Noticed he had posted on some A35 facebook groups so I at least know that my car got a brand new head at 25k km. From what I've read they had revised part numbers for the replacements and no reports of failures with the new ones so that's one thing to stress less about inevitably leaving me stranded.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DoesNotCompute posted:

When I picked up the A35 the former owner's Mercedes me account was still logged in so I took note of his name. Noticed he had posted on some A35 facebook groups so I at least know that my car got a brand new head at 25k km. From what I've read they had revised part numbers for the replacements and no reports of failures with the new ones so that's one thing to stress less about inevitably leaving me stranded.

I am glad to hear that you received fresh head from your car's previous owner.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
finally got tint today, I like how it makes the yellow pop even more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

devmd01 posted:

finally got tint today, I like how it makes the yellow pop even more.

Have you painted your calipers yellow?