Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Yeah. I mean, I consider lugging the engine to be abuse, even if the user isn’t aware of the DI quirks.. I’ve seen several ring land failures on Fiesta FB groups over the last couple of years, most of which are for “unknown” reasons (I’m guessing low RPM high load because I suspect people think that the low down torque of these engines means you can pull off an overtake from 1500RPM no worries) and there is a general knowledge within the community that it happens. I just have a policy of never loading it up heavily when it’s under 2K RPM.

One of the more recent failures was a bit different, guy had just done a bunch of upgrades including a big turbo, but the wastegate actuator broke off its mounting, meaning this dude was pushing 30ish PSI from a larger turbo through his engine every time he stepped on it. Every cylinder liner was cracked and at least one of his pistons was in a few pieces.

What do you all mean by lugging an engine? Going too low in RPM? So keep revs reasonable, above idle more or less? I’ve got a Golf that ate a crank, so I’m curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Ok! More to keep in mind while I hone my stick shift game I guess.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Very cool! I’ve got some fond memories with one just like it in Gran Turismo.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

Is the mk7 shifter much different than the mk6? I had a 6 speed Mk6 GTI and the shifter seemed fine, especially after I switched it out to the OEM Audi short shifter.

I really miss that car. Mk6 GTI with an APR stage I tune was fantastic as a DD, although apparently the mk7s have tune/clutch issues. Out of curiosity, how much is a clutch fix to never think about it again?

I can't weigh in on MK6 vs MK7, but I'm a dinosaur too and enjoy the manual transmission on my MK7. It feels a lot like the other VW manual transmissions I've used, so nowhere near as notched of shifts as a Miata, but I feel it's pretty smooth for DD tasks and takes to more aggressive shifting pretty well too. I'm a backroad bomber, not a track rat for what it's worth.

As for a tune-ready clutch, I'd say $1000 for the labor and however much for the clutch kit. FCPEuro has a Stage 1 Sachs that claims it's good for 400 lb-ft of torque for about $700: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/audi-vw-performance-clutch-kit-sachs-performance-kit-883082001422kt2. I'll bet there are more than a few MK7s out there with a tune and the stock clutch though. Everyone seems to think eventually it'll burn up, but how long before that happens is somewhat variable is my guess.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I think 2019's come with a 6-year/72,000-mile transferable warranty, which might add more to the "peace of mind column" for the Rabbit. I'd probably lean toward that anyway, but I think at this point you ought to check them out and get a feel for them yourself. Gonna go ahead and recommend getting an inspection if it's at all possible too.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Warbird posted:

Talked to a local tune shop about stage one for the GTI and was quoted about 400 and change for the APR module and something to the tune of 80 bucks for labor. They also advised getting something similar for the DSG to better handle the tweaks in power, so about a grand all said and done. Does that sound about right to everyone?

That’s pretty typical for the scope and pricing. APR tunes are flashed for what it’s worth, and DSG tunes adjust shift points and generally make it behave more “aggressively”. I don’t know if those are flashed too, but I think they are.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

And isn’t the deal with super-low mile manual cars that half of them are fine and half of them were an aborted attempt at Babby’s First Stick and the inside of the transmission looks like it’s got 200k miles on it instead of 5k?

That could be the case with any used manual transmission car, only with the higher mileage ones they've got an even longer window. Mileage isn't really a good indicator of the PO's abilities driving the thing. All you can really do is assess how it's working currently. An oil analysis might help gain an understanding of the condition, but that's not really realistic for a used car purchase even before the market became what it is now.

As far as the purchase goes, I'd say you're probably right that a higher mileage car isn't likely to cost that much more over the long run than a lower mileage one. Though lower miles are more desirable, there's really only so much you can do in your position. So if you're set on a GTI, then go with the best example you can find within your time and budget constraints.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

A mid cycle refresh isn’t that unlikely, but I’d be surprised if it resulted in less capacitive touch stuff.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I had the same idea, but realized that’d probably turn my driveway/alley into an ice rink. I’ll be a (carwash) card carrying member of the drive it and wash it club for now.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Never. 👎

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

stik posted:

I am an old man (50) who dallies a FoST. It's my work truck/commuter car.

How do secure the ladder? I’ve got base bars for my GTI, but have only been brave enough to haul my bike so far.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

devicenull posted:

Yea, that's pretty much what it's doing. I'm mainly noticing it in 4-6 right now, and it's when I try to accelerate.

I'm not talking about the shift indicator, just the display of the actual gear the transmission is in.

Interesting. It might be the clutch slipping causing the module to think you’re in neutral. I’d start shopping around for a replacement and definitely get a stage one or two if you’ve got a tune. They are known to be somewhat of a weak point once you start down that road.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Roads are meant to be traveled.

I feel your pain though. poo poo is nasty in MSP right now.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 28, 2022

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Wonderllama posted:

Getting triggered as my first ever car I bought for myself was a 1995 integra LS

Thinking about my 1.5L del Sol always puts a smile on my face. Maybe besides all the dumb poo poo I did to and with it I suppose. Moral of the story is you shouldn’t let your old Integra get you down.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Roundup Ready posted:

Awesome, the epc light just came on in my gti and I start my work week at 5 tomorrow.

Sorry, mate. Keep us posted on your GTI.

Also, that Fit is looking properly mean now. Drum brakes in the back like the good old days too.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Roundup Ready posted:

Will do on Monday. Fortunately I've got a decent amount of cash saved up at the moment.
Unfortunately it's because I'm getting married at the end of May. :lol:

It had the decency to give you some time to recuperate. :-(

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

So tired of waking up to snow on the ground. Brand new wheels and summer tires in the garage that I can't wait to see on the GTI, and feels like the temps are never going to get there :smith:

GR Corolla is definitely hot though, wonder how bad markups are gonna be? Wasn't the Type R hitting $20k+ over msrp in places?

I feel you. I was in the same boat waiting for winter and my winter wheels. I'm a sick bastard I know.

Also getting in on the Corolla hype. This is what the Integra should have been.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Roundup Ready posted:

Update, looks like two of my coils were pretty much shot, causing misfires. Getting all four replaced. Also have carbon buildup, but that was going to be something like 1300 bucks for the deep clean, so putting that off for a while. All said, about 500bux for the deep dive inspection and four new coils. Could have been a lot worse.

I’m glad it worked out alright. I’d definitely see how things go with the coils and call around about the carbon cleaning before paying up.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

The upholstery is what really does it for me. 10/10 on that wagon.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Hallo, ist das dein Auto?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

queef anxiety posted:

That is my culturally confused car. I was planning to keep it for a while longer but the Nissan Z has me peepin :pervert:

I understand. This year is breaking my brain with both Toyota and Nissan singing their siren songs. My needs and wants are fairly domestic though, so unless I give in to my DSG curiosity, I'll keep my MK7.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Yeah sorry, I was a bit unclear. That's the kind of adapter that I mean, except for the 1.6. Or rather, since I've failed to find one for the 1.6 I wonder if one of the other fits.

You could ask them. The fact that you can choose the color on some of these and their suggestive shape is making me giggle though.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Get one, buddy. It is a boon for my hatchback shenanigans. RackAttack.com came up in my search with a few results for Fiesta ST racks. Probably are better storefronts, but it might be a good place to see what exists.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Mine howls like the dickens, but it’s part of the fun of adventurin’ with my bike I figure. I might test it out though.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Welcome to the club! I'm a big fan of my MK7 too for a lot of the same reasons. I think they're more similar than not really, but I'm glad you're enjoying your MK8.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I’ve noticed the odor a few times and that the coolant level is likely a little lower than when I bought the thing. I figure it can wait till I’m at the dealer for something else at this rate though. But I get it, and waiting for total failure mode is probably unwise.

My little anxiety is that they’d count a replacement while still under the original warranty as the one replacement they’re offering in the settlement. If that’s their play, I guess I’ll stock up on G13 and wait for the geyser.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

It's a crossover tho.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

That's fair! I forgot about that ongoing discussion. I should really be used to there being no new hatchbacks by now, but alas.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

“I know whose interiors we should copy—Tesla.”

:(

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Pull up, fellow hatchback-lovers.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

*Taps rear hatch glass.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

My MK7’s trail of blood coolant will have to do this year.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I’m gonna look at an ‘18 FiST tomorrow. Love the Fit, but I kinda want something that has some extra hp and I can mod more.

:sickos:

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Sucks but that is absolutely the right choice. Go to hell, market adjustments.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

The Golf was re-dubbed for a few years is my understanding, couldn’t tell you which though. They really are nice little cars too. I test drove a black one like that with a 5-speed, and it was pretty much as described here.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

So sedans are just the Hank Hills of hatchbacks. Works for me.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Nice pick! Yellow has got to be my favorite cool car color.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Aesthetics and a slight hit to ground clearance are the biggest things. It also gets a little close to the exhaust, but I don’t think it’s much of an issue. I’ve got the roof rack setup, but a hitch setup has its benefits for sure.

Edit: That Golf is really living its best life. Props.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

Hey so the dampers are blown on all 4 corners of my '14 FoST and was wondering if anyone had any experience putting a set of Bilstein B12s (their B8 shocks with Eibach springs) on. Lowers the car a little (like an inch).

Kinda going back and forth between the B12s and just getting a set of B6s which would use the stock springs and thus keep stock ride height while improving the handling a little compared to a set of fresh OEM dampers.

Concerned with alignment issues and road harshness if I lower the car at all- have heard that the rears don't have camber adjustment so if lowering fucks that up I'll have to buy camber adjustment plates too and I just don't know if I wanna screw with that.

I’m no FoST expert, but I’d keep it stock. Hot hatches are low enough generally speaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Korwen posted:

I got a 2019 Golf R back in October of last year and I've absolutely loved it so far. It's got 60k on it, and I'm trying to decide if it's worth paying dealer cost for the maintenance assuming that keeps me on the good side of the remaining 12k in warranty miles, or if I should save the money and just do the oil/haldex services myself. Either way, it's been tons of fun so far.

Congrats on the R! As for maintenance, I’d pay up. Keep things on the up and up for a little bit I say. Good to know who’s in town for the jobs you don’t want to DIY too.