Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Sigma X posted:

If you're trail braking, your rear wheels have much less weight on them. They will lock up first. Locked up rear wheels + front wheels still turning = rear tires flatspotted.

Oh, I thought that the torque vectoring fuckery was still doing something.

Edit: You can probably tune that out with different pad compounds at the back or a adjustable prop valve. I still find it hard to believe that it's really going to THAT noticeable with the rears locking up.

Is this something you guys have experienced or more forum talk? I'm really not trying to sound like a dick in this post, I'm genuinely curious.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

The Ferret King posted:

So, is it normal for cars to roll off the line without the ability to adjust camber?

My car is in for its first alignment and they said it needed a small camber adjustment but that required installation of camber kits first.

Totally. What kind of car? Some cars come with only toe adjustment. If it can't be adjusted, sometimes they'll try and move around the engine mounts a little bit to shift the weight to one side or the other.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

Good question. People piss and moan about heat soaking and intake air temps constantly on the forums, but ultimately is it that important? :shrug:

It's all important, if only incremental. If you can bring your turbo inlet temps down, that only helps bring down the final temp of the air by the time it hits the combustion chamber given the same IC efficiency and what not. A better IC will help as well with cooling that air, obviously, but if you can bring it down more before it even enters the IC, all the better. Problem with giant IC's is that they tend to block flow to the radiator or give it hotter air entering it = less cooling capacity. And with more power you're putting more heat into your coolant, only making things worse. Pay attention to the ducting and shrouds between the IC and radiator to make sure when installing aftermarket stuff you don't ditch those pieces and allow air to flow around the radiator.

This really should only show up while on track after a few minutes of hard driving (street driving, who cares).

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

It still sounds like he's terrible with money. haha.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

Thats all I got, sadly. I would go back to the yard to take more but it was in THE poo poo. Deep Detroit. Real deep. But the wheels were $200 with TPMS so worth it.

Ryan's Pick A Part? I love that place despite it being in a lovely area. I haven't had much luck finding wheels there though, they're always strewn about.

If it wasn't there, where'd you go? I've been looking for some volvo wheels.

Edit: Holy crap parts galore looks like they have a nice inventory and keep stuff around longer than Ryan's.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 21, 2016

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Amen. The best seats I've ever owned.

:same:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

Its exactly like the new Cruze "hatch". It's a sedan with a big rear end window that they call a hatch. My R can actually put things in the trunk. Every car maker seems to think that a liftback is the same thing as a hatch.. I want a true hot stationwagon, but we cant have those because of all the fat suv idiots that thing higher is safer.

Having actually driven a Cruze hatch, it's fine and can fit things in the back. :confuoot: Your Golf R has 22.8 cubic feet vs. 22.7 of a Cruze.

Just because the rear window isn't totally vertical doesn't mean it doesn't have cargo space.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Nov 16, 2016

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

Just curious but how much longer is the cruze than the golf. Cause that brutal slope seems like it would eat a lot more cargo. Also can people sit in the back seat?

I googled dimensions for you once already, I won't again. haha.

edit: doesn't stop others, though. :v:

The back seats are alright but it's a compact car. You can fit 6 footers back there and the slope isn't near as bad as it looks on the outside. I think the Mazda 3 is supposed to be quite a bit worse for that.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

How did they tell you it's 22.5k? Your payments are 14508 over 3 years and then a purchase price of 16600???

I'd assume he put money down, too. This sounds like the most expensive 22.5k GTI in existence. Even sales tax in MO is 4.225%, so <1k on the purchase price. What happened here?

Edit: if above is true (no money down, tax included), still that sounds bad.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 7, 2016

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

That's what I was thinking. Hopefully he's just not explaining things well...

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Who does a dyno in miles per hour? :wtc:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Dr.Caligari posted:

Won't the lease prevent you from doing that?

(I know nothing about leases either)

If he does a buyout like he says, nope.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

You don't have to be a math wiz to figure it out. But generally, leasing is advantages profit wise vs buying for the dealership/manufacturer.

money down + Tax, title, license fees + (Monthly payment * 12 months * how many years lease is) = total amount you pay for lease. Since you paid nothing down and tax is rolled into the monthly payment of $403, your 3 year lease cost is $14,508.

Add that to the amount that the car will cost you to buy outright when the lease is over which the dealer will tell you if you ask...and that's how much you pay for the car. Yours is $16663.95, so your total you're paying for the car if you buy it at the end is $31,171.95

Since you're buying it out early, I don't know what the buyout price will be at that time and what they told you, but you have to pay at least 6 months of it you said.

6*403 = $2418 + buyout price. Did they mention what the buyout will be then?

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Dec 8, 2016

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

Yeah that guys car was way over the top. Not sure the hybrids count as "big turbo" since they are basically rebuilt stock turbos with bigger inlets/outlets. They just seem to be able to move more air at higher rpm when the stock turbo runs out of revs.

Trans does seem to be the weak point amongst the FiST, but its hard to take manual trans "issues" 100% seriously amongst car enthusiasts...so many bad drivers with no mechanical empathy no-clutch flat shifting their cars while driving to the grocery store. Ford hasn't done any recalls or anything as far as I am aware on the FiST trans.

It's not that, it's likely that the trans was built to a max torque output way below what modified ones have. Cost savings nowadays and engineering specifications (that aren't high above the stock vehicle, especially no cheaper vehicles) so things aren't usually as overbuilt as they used to be.

Admittedly not a hot hatch but the Chevy Sonic gearbox (used to own and follow forums chat on them) only holds about 200 ft-lbs before they grenade. Good thing it's easy to make torque on a turbo motor... :shepicide:

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 16, 2016

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

Maybe true. I'm not saying its built to hold 1000 whp or anything, but if you go to any car forum for any manual car, there are a bunch of people bitching about transmission issues. Its very hard to separate the truth from the nonsense, so I often assume its nonsense.

GM is nice enough to publish what their transmissions' torque limits are, not sure about Ford.

Site is pretty cool if you want to see anything about the engine or trans for any of the current production stuff.
http://www.gmpowertrain.com/VehicleEngines/PowertrainProducts.aspx

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I passed on a set of wheels for my old car for the same reason. It's a matter of time (2 days for that guy, :lol:) before something gets wedged in there and starts machining the barrel.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I imagine brake parts cleaner doesn't help that paint much, either.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

xsf421 posted:

I was floored when I walked up to the dealership and there were three sitting in a line out front. No markup either, just asking sticker price.

Which dealer (I'm local)? Did they let you test drive one?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Pryor on Fire posted:

This is incredibly illegal and they would get sued into oblivion after about one week, so I'm gonna say you're full of poo poo.

Yup, no way is this happening.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

JollyPubJerk posted:

CARB laws really limit what kinds of cars they can sell in the US

???

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Mandals posted:

Had the same question about my GTI and the dealer was like "don't bother. Drive it like you stole it."

The dealership consists of sales people, not engineers who designed every piece of your car. Those guys want you to come in for service. :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

Plus any of those "pony cars" have absolute poo poo for resale if you buy new.
You can't jam nearly as much poo poo in them as you can a hatchback.
Who cares how many cylinders it has, in a straight line they're almost the same speed.
On the curves it will smoke any pony car.

He said a Camaro SS 1LE. 3/4 of these things you're absolutely wrong about. It doesn't matter which hot hatch flavor you choose, be it the Golf R or the RS.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

That car is no joke. But hey at least I can see out of my fiesta :D

Seriously. Even the V6 1LE was only 0.1s slower than a focus RS on the lightning lap. It's a crazy fast car that will handle better than about anything else for the money.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

Sorry I don't keep up with American muscle cars. Apparently they can corner now?

Somebody did a comparo with the new SS and a BMW M4 that cost twice as much. The Camaro won. Don't downplay the achievements with your brand snobbery. :colbert:

Even last gen Camaro could handle very well despite it's heft. It was the first of them to get IRS which the new Mustang followed suit with.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 28, 2017

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Dr.Caligari posted:

Anyone else get a letter about an upcoming recall on the '14 FiST? It says "localized overheating of the engine cylinder head may cause the cylinder head to crack...."

It says they are preparing parts for fall quarter 2017, but never says what those parts are, but that "Ford will make enhancements to the engine cooling system"

I'm not sure if I should take my out of warranty car in if this is major voluntary surgery.

If it's a recall, you don't pay a dime. TSBs are another story and you're usually on the hook for. I'd take it in for sure, regardless of the fix.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I wonder how they compare to Sumitomo HTR Z III's, the other super cheap but pretty grippy tire. The III's are slightly cheaper in my size and are a "max performance" (higher performance category) than the firestones. I liked the III's I had before but I never tracked that car with them.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

So it's just a special color with a lot more damage than a 700 mile car should have? :(

It's near me if anybody was nerdy enough to want someone to look at it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

Ended up doing a cruise yesterday from Denver down to Colorado springs with a few diversions here and there. Discovered that the navigation in my car is smart enough to send me around traffic.

Are you sure about that? Because without there being some way to stream data to the nav unit (and you'd know because you'd probably be paying for it) I don't see how this is possible. Unless you mean some sort of integration with your phone.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Kiger_Soze posted:

Drove my FiST to Yosemite over the weekend. Old Priest Grade (reaches 20%)drat near killed my car. Time to start looking for a better radiator. Had to stop halfway and let it cool down. Wasn't fun turning on the heater full blast when its 95° outside.

That's pretty lovely. Automakers all go to Death Valley and up "Stove Pipe" (as well as Baker) to make sure this doesn't happen.

Is your car modded at all?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Kiger_Soze posted:

Yeah its been modded. intercooler, intake, downpipe and hybrid turbo upgrade. I probably need to get a conservative tune for long road trips and look into a better radiator and maybe oil cooler.
I got to the side of the road before it boiled over and it cooled down pretty quick. drove home just fine.

think it was just a combination of it being super hot, high altitude and really steep road.

Before throwing in a radiator, how is your ducting situation for the IC? Make sure to force the air from going around the radiator. I don't know if you had to cut or remove stuff when going to a bigger IC but if there are gaps between the IC and the rad on any side, air will take the path of least resistance and you'll get little flow through the radiator.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Kiger_Soze posted:

I don't think the aftermarket inter cooler would affect stock airflow over radiator. I didn't have to cut anything and it bolts into stock position. I also haven't had any other problems in the 2.5 years I've had the car and the bigger turbo almost a year.

Fair enough. On a lot of old turbo cars with tiny side mounts you really have to wedge poo poo in there and there's no ductwork to keep air going where it's supposed to. Sounds like it might just be time for a thicker rad.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

I always buy tires from Discount Tire Direct, Tire Rack, or eBay and have them mounted at Walmart, since I'm a cheap-rear end.

You've never been worried about your nice rims getting hosed up by walmart tech? I usually go to a chain tire shop at least, not that it matters (still worries me). :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

Doing an OTD at Waterford hills next weekend. Swapping to ATE 200 fluid, time to see if my brakes and cooling system can keep up with the MRX power level.

Last vdynos I ran (tune is still in revision) is showing about 255-260 whp and similar torque. A touch more lag than I would like, but I plan on swapping downpipes and buying a used manifold and trying to port it. Less restriction on the exhaust side should speed up spool a bit. Very fun to drive, but I bet it will be harder to be smooth around Waterford. Very tight track.

Nice. Waterford isn't too hard on brakes at least since the straights are so short. Do you have anything to monitor coolant or oil temps?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

Yeah it seems harder on tires than anything else to be honest. My first run there was on stock all seasons, they howled like mad. I will monitor temps w the Cobb AP.

I need to try and make it there to at least one event this season. I think I'd be fine with my current aggressive street pads (and some new fluid which I still need to swap over with the SS brake lines). Doing any more events this year?

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 27, 2017

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Holy poo poo that's terrible. No loving way is that acceptable.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Etrips posted:

Because it is cracked.

If it's a 17 GTI, why isn't the dealer doing it? Warranty that poo poo.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I always have loved gunmetal on white. But pretty much any color works with white, so that's a plus.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Lame. American car buys suck.

Says the guy shopping for a used FiST. :lol: Are you kidding me? You are the reason that it's not going to be sold here anymore.

That's pretty much all enthusiasts though. They never put their money where their mouth is when it comes to buying new cars. :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I don't know who'd be foolish enough to buy a new FiST when a one year old model with 15K on the clock is $4-5K less.

Can't say I wouldn't do the same in this particular case if that's what I was shopping for, just don't bitch and moan about cars like that not coming to America. Because this is exactly why they don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Rhyno posted:

People not buying the performance variant new is why the next gen Fiesta isn't coming to the states?

It's just funny to me that you were bitching about American car buyers when you're part of the group that you're complaining about. Manufacturers don't make any money when everybody only wants to buy the car used, so they pull out of that market. :shrug: