Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I (rather desperately) need new shocks for my 2016 FiST. Terrible Robot can hook me up, but he's been really busy lately with work so I figured I'd ask you fine goons for suggestions on what to buy. It's my daily driver and I don't take it to the track, just thrash every speedbump in the North Atlanta suburbs in the course of my pet sitting duties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

sneakyfrog posted:

according to my insurance I have owned my FiST for 5 years. I have had 3 offers to buy it for more than I paid for it new.

yeah I aint selling my rocket go cart-o-fun :colbert:

Same, friend. I haven't had any insane offers like that, but I considered selling it for about three seconds until I realized then I would have to drive something that is not a FiST, which is not an acceptable outcome.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

agreed, but hey—what’s a foggy mirror when your blend door needs replacing and makes clearing all of your glass a hit-or-miss proposition?

Oof, I feel this comment in my soul. I haven't had an actuator go out since the warranty expired, so I'm probably about due again.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Midjack posted:

I just test drove a Veloster N at Carmax. It's, uh, good. It does a few things better than my dear departed Civic Type R. I'm going to have a hard replacement choice.

We owned an N for a short while. Super fun car, very comfortable compared to my FiST, drives great and I think it's very good-looking. My only real gripe is that it came brand new with a glitchy e-brake. It would get stuck if you parked it for more than a day at a time. Get the blue one if you can. When we were researching we saw that our local dealership had two- one white and one blue- and some rear end in a top hat bought the blue one the day before we got there. Still salty about that.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Rolo posted:

He commutes about 45 minutes a day and has a 6 year old that will take up the back until he weighs enough but that’s it. He also has access to a beater truck if he needs it.

He basically just wants to get into cars and loves the one he test drove. I’m being a dork and checking for anything lemon-like because I know nothing about them.

It’s the performance blue with the N Performance package so at the bare minimum it looks rad as hell.

Sup hot hatch thread, it's been a minute.

I had a 2019 (or was it an 18?) Veloster N for a short time and loving loved it. The only problem I had with it was the e-brake, which would freeze up if I parked it for more than 24 hours. Was sad to see it go, but I couldn't afford two cars. The blue is super sharp and the 3rd door will help with loading the kiddo in and out. It sings you a happy little song when you get in and compared to my FiST the creature comforts are a huge upgrade. Fun car, your friend will love it.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Getting married, registering for car parts. Terrible Robot has gotten out ahead of me with parts for his Mustang and Volvo. What toys do I want for my mostly stock 2016 FiST? To be clear, this is an arms race.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Already have it tuned, Bilsteins got put on a few months ago, and running Yokohama summer tires that I love. Short throw shifter is here but TR is going to have to tear the whole interior apart to install that and change the bearings. Exhaust parts are definitely on the list. Good ideas!

Dr. Lunchables posted:

S280, intercooler, downpipe, probably a CAI, spend money on a tune. Bilstein springs, wider tires, probably don’t need a BBK, but it’s certainly back burner if you do.

A lot of stuff is down to preference, like short throw shifters and the like.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

blk posted:

How's the FiST as a road trip car? It looks fun for around town but I'm curious about noise and other comfort in that interior.

I do not love it on long trips. Lots of vibration on the highway and the seats are not comfy.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

wolrah posted:

If the FoST clutch is anything like the FiST's it can take some serious abuse.

Here's a valet knocking some life off my FiST:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FWlEnDvBdU&t=138s
(timestamp 2:18)

The car smelled like a clutch fire for a few days after this, but three years and 50,000 miles later I'm still driving on it and it's still holding firm. So basically don't worry about it as long as you're not being a total moron.

Wow, that poo poo needs a trigger warning...

I never valet park my car for that reason. I cooked my own clutch (it was on the way out) doing something similar, I was pulling into a client's driveway that was windy and steeper than it looked in 2nd gear when I should have been in first. In that particular situation it doesn't take much to do some damage.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

When I learned to drive we had an 89 Mercury Tracer (manual) and a Saturn SL1 (automatic). The rule was that I could drive the Saturn to and from school and for errands for the family, but if I wanted to see my friends, I had to take the Tracer. I got gud real fast and had way too much fun whipping that thing around rural country roads in Maine. Dad made me parallel park 100 times before my driver's test. He also took me out on a huge hill and made me start and stop dozens of times. I can parallel park anything now, including a horse drawn carriage. (actually easier than you might think- the 5th wheel makes it simple.)

I do like hill assist, just for when someone is crawling up my bumper at a light, but I don't rely on it. The hill assist in my FiST almost always works. I think it gets a little wonky if I shift into reverse and then into first, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

MunchE posted:

Do some people ITT have important "rolling backwards down a hill" business to attend to?

Yes. When some dipshit is rolling up on my bumper at a light on a hill I like to slide back a little to keep them off my rear end.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

End of an era.

(Last Fiesta off the line signed by everyone who made it)

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

devmd01 posted:

What are the best mud flaps for the FoST?

Do you pronounce it "Foust" (o as in boat) or "Fost" (as in frost without the r)?

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

My parents don't understand me and I need to vent. (I am forty years old and live on my own.)

I want to upgrade my FiST to a tune that will add 40HP and 82ft# torque. First, I am going to throw 16s on it and brace the suspension so it's not too noodly.

My family does not understand. They are habitual base model Yaris enthusiasts. The only reason they no longer buy base model Saturns is because Saturn no longer makes cars.

"but why?!" they cry.

"Because 82 foot pounds of torque."

I am so alone.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

tbh I wouldn’t do it. It’s an EcoBoom, and I’ve never felt comfortable putting more go into them

Suspension upgrade and thicker tires is all I need

I thirst for more.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

devmd01 posted:

My wife has no idea that it's more than a computer that lets you monitor things.

This makes me sad! Why can't you tell her all the cool things it does?

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I love finding ST buddies in the wild.

This rain needs to stop, though- I need some therapy, and by "therapy" I mean "driving as much like an absolute maniac as possible without getting arrested or damaging anything expensive."

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Maryland requires front plates, which is lame. When I bought my 2016 FiST, the rear end in a top hat dealership in North Carolina drilled into the bumper to put a dealer-badged front plate on it despite NC not requiring front plates. I made them take it off and plug the holes. Now I can't find a bracket that will fit- most of the stuff online is "everything but the STs" and I've seen a few people on forums that have been told "for the STs we just bolt it directly to the bumper" or "ST brackets are made to order and expensive." I don't want to spend the money for a sto-n-sho or put Terrible Robot through the hassle of having to take the bumper off to install it, and apparently they interfere with airflow to the intercooler. What's my best option here? I don't want to bolt the plate directly onto the bumper because it will scratch it all to hell, but I don't want to give the police an excuse to pull me over (other than my driving...)

I'm concerned that it will be difficult/impossible to find a bracket that fits the already drilled holes because god knows what they decided to bolt onto my poor car.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

100% Dundee posted:

Ever since then I've just had my new, replacement license plate zip tied to my front grill. I put some of that stick on rubber padding on the back side around the edges so that it has a little grip and doesn't shift around or scratch anything up. This has not fallen off. So I guess what I am saying is, zip tie it to your front grill.

If you're actually worried about it blocking 1% of the airflow to the intercooler as you mentioned, which I can assure you is entirely negligible and that you are never going to be in a scenario where you'd actually be able to measure or notice the difference, then you can just snip off the 4 zipties and voila you're good to go for your weekend of road course enduro racing or your back to back dyno pulls, etc.

Edit: If you need something to fill up the existing holes as you mentioned, there's Bumperplugs.com which come pre-painted and matched to the color of your vehicle(the ones I ordered matched my FoST Magnetic Metallic perfectly). Or you could just get a tube of touch up paint and some plastic trim panel clips/plugs and whip it up yourself if you were so inclined for half the price.

Thanks! Yeah, I think zip ties are going to be plan A, at least for now. I'll snap a pic of what I'm working with later today.

The intercooler issue was more with the sto-n-sho than covering the grille with the plate. Not totally sure exactly how, but Terrible Robot said the mounting plate that goes behind the bumper would block airflow and it's not easily removable.

Thanks for the tip on the bumper plugs. Right now what's in there is the black plastic plugs the dealership put in when I made them take off their ridiculous vanity plate. The FiST is my daily and gets knocked around quite a bit, so I'm being a little overly precious about a minor blemish, but god damnit, he's my baby and they put holes in him without asking.

While I've got y'all here, can anyone link me an OEM key fob that will definitely work with my car? (it's a 2016) The part number is unclear and googling the numbers I found on the fob got me nothing. I've found a few listings that say they'll work with any Fiesta, and a few that look identical that are marked "definitely not for the ST/manual" and zero that say "will definitely work with the ST"

I'll probably just suck it up and go to the dealership so that if/when they order the wrong fob and bracket returning them is their problem, not mine.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Dr. Lunchables posted:

From the following forum (it’s a very good forum with tons of info) https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/key-fob-replacement-411-thread.23669/

This is the fob they used successfully https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-20...872.m2749.l2649

And this seems to be (not a guarantee) the part number 164-R8048

Thank you so much! stick on foam, zip ties, that fob and touch up paint should set me straight and save me a lot of money over going to the dealership. I'll still have to take it in to get it programmed, but it beats paying twice as much for the part.

I'll look around that forum some more- any toxic politics/sexism I need to be prepared for? It seems like every car forum except this one is full of that kind of thing...

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP631112/2014-2019-ford-fiesta-st-1-6l-ecoboost-tuner

Talk me into and/or out of this

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Don’t buy one of those, just get a Cobb accessport. It’s what all the ST tuners use and will expect

I have an accessport and it's a big improvement over stock, but this one will get me another 40HP and 70 foot pounds of torque. Planning to brace the suspension first.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

i sincerely hope you have upgraded intake, intercooler and prob exhaust for 40hp. software tune alone aint gonna do that long term and a cobb will go as hard as your mods allow.

Terrible Robot is on top of the mods needed before I use this tuner. Don't worry- we'll make sure not to explode anything! :D Looking more for specific feedback on this particular tuner vs. the accessport.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Dr. Lunchables posted:

This is the way. At least intake and intercooler. Livernois isn’t offering anything except a custom tune but is also handcuffing you to their expensive hardware platform

Thanks, that is something I'm definitely taking into consideration. I got a custom tune from COBB when I bought the accessport, but even they said it was indistinguishable from their OTS tune.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

in that case "Purchase of this tuner includes 2 performances tune for a stock, unmodified vehicle. Extra tunes can be purchased under the optional add-ons drop down." language irks me, but hey if thats your jam.

im with the doc, do your mods and just have a tuner tune your stuff even a few dyno runs with your existing gear if you dont want a internet tune.

unless you are upgrading like legit the fuel system and the turbo itself getting over 250 or the 300 range i would start worrying about longevity. if price is no object go nuts but in that case just rebuild the engine and put a big ol turbo on the boi even with a cobb

Thanks for the input. I wish I had an unlimited budget! I'm trying to do mods incrementally and get the most fun per dollar possible. I just got it inspected in Maryland, so inspections/emissions are no object as long as I don't register it in another state.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

the better question is what are you going for?

I'm no gearhead, just a very enthusiastic and spirited driver. I value handling and overall zippiness. Boost is one of my four favorite drugs. I want to grin and giggle when I hammer on the accelerator on straightaways, and I thoroughly enjoy a twisty country road. No interest in competing and taking it to the track seems intimidating. I might do a HPE sometime if I can afford it. It also makes me sad that the car is so quiet, so exhaust mods are on the list. No plans to sell this car, ever.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

God loving damnit. I tempted fate. The universe saw me planning fun mods and sent a loving rock into my windshield on the highway last night. I thought I got off with just a chip, but I woke up to a huge crack.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Deviant posted:

doesnt your insurance cover this

Thought it would come in under my deductible, but it turns out it is mostly covered. Now I just have to jump through all the hoops to get it done by a reputable local guy instead of whatever Safelite idiots they try and force me to use.

e: nope. $500 deductible even for glass claims. gently caress.

Wroughtirony fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 10, 2023

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Sorry for posting so much, but Terrible Robot put in new shifter bushings and a short throw shifter today and oh my loving god this is how this car should have come from the factory.

The short throw isn't extreme, but it eliminates the panicky feeling of fumbling around to find the gear you want, especially from neutral or while skipping a gear. (the new bushings help that too, obvs.) The gates feel very clear but still soft and the shifter travels neatly and cleanly. As a smaller person, I appreciate not having to wave my right arm around as much. I was expecting a bit of an adjustment period to the new pattern but it was just completely intuitive.

https://www.boombaracing.com/fiesta-st-transmission-adapter/

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I need help finding my unicorn, goons.

I hate the driver's seat in my FiST. There's a broken spot in the back that clicks and it's just generally uncomfortable. I need a manual Recaro with an intact airbag. I know I could get an aftermarket seat, but I'd be more comfortable with one that has the airbag, which as far as I can tell is only the Recaro that was sold as an option in the ST. I will pay to have it shipped to Maryland, as I have little hope of finding one nearby.

I've tried the main pick-a-part registries and most of them don't differentiate STs from SEs, and none have the part I need.

May I be so bold as to request an AI BOLO for this seat? The reward for information leading to its apprehension is homemade cookies and my eternal thanks.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I've sat in recaros before and I'm juuuuust small enough for them to be comfortable. They're a little tight on my muffintops, lol, but better than the stock seats.

I don't think it's the lumbar support that's broken on my seat, I feel a clicking right around my left shoulderblade so I think something is broken in the upper portion of the seat.

Will try the MDST group, thanks!

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

2016 FiST.

I thought I was going insane, but now I have a theory.

Sometimes, it falters just a touch when I'm accelerating through third. Nice straight dry roads, just a little hiccup or two around 4-5kRPM despite smooth pressure on the throttle.

Does the dash light always come on when the traction control activates? I'm thinking that might be the thing. I took it out tonight when there was nobody on the roads and gave it the beans a few times- I got the faltering to happen twice, and the second time I'm sure I heard a little blow-off (I have a BOV installed) when it faltered, even though the traction control light did not come on. I'm thinking the traction control activated a bit and just didn't tell me. I know the light works so it's not that.

Car working as intended and I'm just being a sensitive princess, or something to keep an eye on?

eta: I am absolutely the princess and the pea with this car so feel free to tell me to calm down. I about started a riot at the shop when I got a brake job done and they used lovely parts so my brakes went from "good for the track" to "fine for around town". If I hit a bump too hard I say ouch and pet the dash to comfort it. I probably need to calm down.

Wroughtirony fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Feb 12, 2024

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Yeah, just turn traction control down by going into sport mode.

Don't have a "sport mode" but I can turn trac control off. I'll try that when it stops raining next month.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Dr. Lunchables posted:

You do, actually. Just hit ESC OFF for less than three seconds.

No way- I did not know that. Egg on my face, I guess! Will that take it from nanny mode to okay-just-don't-spin-all-the-way-out mode? I thought it was a straight on/off situation

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

My FiST just hit 80k miles. Still puts a smile on my face every day until I look at my list of unfinished projects with it... Oil change today and maybe if the weather holds we'll do the cool-looking intake scoop too. Needs tint, engine mounts, a trim piece replaced, some corrosion on the roof addressed. Nothing huge, just a bunch of little poo poo. Oh and I desperately need to detail the interior.

Still 12/10 would FiST again.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Getting the FiST interior detailed next week, I'm stoked. Poor thing has been treated like a work truck for the last year and it shows.

In other car and money news, it was windy the other day and when I got to work a rogue gust tore the door out of my hand and slammed it into my coworker's Kia, causing a huge scrape down to the metal. What are the chances of getting that fixed for less than $500? I'd rather not have an at-fault incident on my record.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Is there actual damage to the panel or just a scratch?

If it's just a scratch, a good touch-up job by a pro will be a roughly ten footer and cost less than a hundred bucks. It'll look OK from distance but will not reflect correctly, won't be blended, etc. A respray of the panel, assuming it's door only, would be better and run probably... $300 at a decent shop, guessing. Depends on the paint.

I didn't get pics, which I should have. It's about a 10-12 inch scrape, some of which is down to the metal. I don't *think* there was panel damage but I'm not sure. I haven't seen my coworker or heard from her or her mom since, so I'l kind of hoping they're just like, "eh, is Kia, now is slightly shittier" but the car was pretty clean beforehand- if it were my car I certainly wouldn't brush it off. If she gets back to me I'll definitely suggest getting an estimate before filing insurance.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Put summer tires back on the FiST and good lord it has made all the difference. I thought I had matching all seasons on the front, but they were not matching. (replaced a few tires in Atlanta because they put invisible curbs everywhere, iykyk.) Traction control is a lot happier now. I'll probably just use summer tires year round here, it only snows a few times.

Next project is engine mounts and a few other fun things like an exhaust scoop. I still want to replace the driver's seat with a recaro, but I would have to meet other prospective buyers on the field of battle to get one and I don't know if I could defeat another FiST owner in single combat, so we'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Imperador do Brasil posted:

What the heck is an exhaust scoop?

It's an intake scoop run through my ADHD brain. Looks cool and sucks in cold air. We got one as a wedding present.