Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What are the typical symptoms of a manual transmission clutch slipping? My mk7 GTI with 60k miles has started doing a weird thing where when I give it some gas the revs spike and the gear indicator goes away. It's like it's losing track of what gear it's in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Rusty posted:

Clutch slipping always starts with low revs in my experience. If you want to know if your clutch is slipping, go 60 on the highway in 6th and give it some gas and see if the revs go up without acceleration and then catches. It eventually shows more and more in the lower revs as it gets worse.

Yea, that's pretty much what it's doing. I'm mainly noticing it in 4-6 right now, and it's when I try to accelerate.

teh_Broseph posted:

I don't know much so no comment on if the revs are spiking unexpectedly high from pushing the pedal down - for the shift indicator though, it seems fairly dynamic on my Mk7.5 GTI. Like if I'm going up a hill it knows to wait longer to indicate an upshift, and I'm pretty sure if I'm pushing the gas harder for fast acceleration it also knows I'm in go fast mode and waits a lot longer to prompt to shift.

I'm not talking about the shift indicator, just the display of the actual gear the transmission is in.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
With an engine tune most places suggest also doing a DSG tune, or replacing the clutch in a manual. I don't think I've seen anywhere say the DSG can't handle it (presumably because it's better at shifting)

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So, who else now has a GTI that may randomly catch on fire due to fuel pump issues, but the recall is still "no parts available"

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a46955778/vw-fuel-tank-recall/

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A friend hit a rock w/ his mk7 gti and ended up cracking the oil pan over the weekend. That sounds decidedly not fun to me, so I started looking into skid plates. Looks like the two main options are the oem alltrack one, or ECS aluminum

Any thoughts on which is better? The OEM one is not metal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVOtgbZ3Q6g&t=512s

Which seems like a confusing choice (can't it just deflect up enough to still gently caress up the oil pan?)