Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’m in the market for a new (used) car, and rather than take the insurance payout from my dead 2004 CRV and just put it all into buying something of the same vintage with cash, my family is strongly encouraging me to instead look for something much more recent (ie finance a $10-25k car that’s <5 years old instead of buying a $5-10k car from 2006 with cash)

So with that in mind I might as well follow my automotive crush dreams and look at a whole mess of used GTIs, right?

1) anything big I should be aware of going in? Model years/equipment trims to be avoided? Notable areas of wear and failure to look at in used specimens?

2) I know that at some point in the last five years (2017? 2018?) the optional SportPerformance package that added ~25 hp and some limited-slip gubbins (and that everybody recommended getting) was folded into the base model and made standard. What model year was that? How should I look for the addition/inclusion of those extra go-fast bits if I’m dealing with a used car seller who may not have all of those relevant details present in their documentation?

3) anything I should look for in terms of drivetrain/transmission health? What about mileage? I’d be looking at manuals, natch, and I’ve always heard horror stories about preowned stick shifts being sold or traded in by inexperienced owners who decided that manual wasn’t for them after they put 100k miles-worth of damage and wear on their transmission in <10k miles.

I have a good handle on feeling clutch health, etc in a vague sense but I have no idea how I’d meaningfully assess that in the context of buying a recent model year used car. TLDR I’m afraid of buying a car that feels good for the first couple of months before the clutch fails like a year into ownership thanks to previous owner abuse.

4) I’m seeing a surprising amount of price variation—A lot of that is obviously trim package/autobahn vs plaid/etc but it’s weird to see 2018s with <50k on the odometer priced at $19k and 2019s with similar mileage going for $32k with a couple of weirdo outliers (2017 80k miles, wants $23 grand). Is that just the market being itself during a particularly churny time or is there something else I’m missing here?

5) are y’all happy with your GTIs? How have they been holding up long-term? My family have kind of a history of being “Honda+VW people” so I have many fond memories of electric gremlins, complaints about expensive repairs, and the like. I’ve always wanted a GTI, but I also want a car that I can count on putting 200k+ miles on without it turning into an expensive lemon.

Posted this in the VAG thread, but this seems more appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Deviant posted:

Call Ford's customer line and raise some Cain. They'll cave, if they're anything like VW.

Yeah. Write to Jalopnik if they don’t.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Ok, it’s been about a week and I still definitely need a new (used) car. Do Mazda3s count as hot hatches? Anything I should know about them? I used to daily a 2011 2.5 manual for a while and that was a really fun car, and it looks like the newer models since then have greatly upped the QoL features and fit+finish.

How does something like a manual Mazda3 stack up against a GTI in terms of running costs? What about “sportiness”, etc?

What about the Civic hatch (non R, unfortunately) or even, say, an Impreza? Is there a better thread for these questions? Wasn’t there a car buying thread?

I’m at a point where I’ll probably need to buy a car in the next 2-3 weeks, and my family’s not super convinced that something like a GTI “makes sense”. Assume that any car that I buy will be driven equally as fast/hard.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 17, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what "doesn't make sense" about the GTI?

running costs and repairs, long standing stereotypes about reliability and gremlins vs something Japanese.

my dad has dailied a Mk2 Jetta and a ‘09 A4, and my parents have owned a ‘97 Mk3 Cabrio as a ‘fun runabout car’ since like 2011, and all three earned reputations as charming and enjoyable to drive-but problematic and costly to maintain lemons, in some cases with serious design/manufacturing flaws in critical areas.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Warbird posted:

Speaking of, what is a realistic lifespan of a GTI anyway? My 17 is up to a hair over 60k and it’s got me thinking. Never had a real
Issue with it so far, but I also drove my Jeep and the wife’s Civic right up to 200k before selling them. I’ve seen 160k online but I’ve no idea if there is any weight to it.

I'm seeing some 210-250s in my area, if you can dream it you can be it

Joking aside, if I bought any new or properly-maintained recent model year car in 2021 and it didn't get me at least to 200k with a reasonable/avg amount of component wear/service/replacement I'd be feeling ripped off, tbh. I feel like 200k used to be a big milestone for cars in the 1990s, and nowadays it's like "2nd or 3rd or 4th owner" territory.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 17, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

I guess I was only a passenger in the 21, so I'll def take your word on that.

That’s what all of the press, etc has said about it too for a few years now. And now that the model’s moved to AWD and the manual’s been deprecated it’s pretty obvious that Mazda’s gonna stay there with the 3 before they replace the drivetrain with whatever electric gubbins they’re working on with Toyota, and that’ll become the new TOTL/“performance”/touring/etc trim.

FWIW, I found the 2011 to be an absolute peach to drive minus the ridiculous blindspots and the demented clown body cladding. Obviously not nearly as surgical as the E36 I was dailying beforehand, and definitely not RWD, but a heck of a lot faster and more power (any car would’ve done that, but still). Definitely a fun car to drive hard, at least to me, echoing BlackMk4’s take on the 2014 that it’s easy enough to rotate and feel confident doing so, esp once you get really familiar with it.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 17, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
crosspisting my latest GTI rant. I should add that the market is looking super stupid right now.

Like, if I go on autotrader and set my max budget to $22k then the most expensive car I get at $21900 is a 2016 S with 29k miles. And that seams dumb as poo poo when I can find five 2016s and five more 2017s between $15 and $19k and between 30k and 95k miles, and there doesn’t appear to be much rhyme or reason as to why one costs $16k and the other costs $18,999 beyond “that’s what they decided to list it as”.

Edit: spelled “crossposting” wrong, but honestly it works better like that.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Ok so. I think I want a GTI. I think I want a manual GTI. With the Plaid. I think I’m going to go out and shop for a car, and when I do so, I will be looking for GTIs and I’m ready to stop looking for other cars.

The question now is which GTI? And how do I find the right one?

My budget is ideally $20k or less. Preferably even under $18k. Basically I’ve got a down payment of ~$8k between insurance payout on my old car and budgeted cash and I’d like to finance in the ballpark of $10k, but less is always better and a little more could potentially be put out for the right car.

TLDR, I’m looking at cars as cheap as $13k and as expensive as $20-21k with a goal to stay ideally in the $15-19k range. I’m seeing a lot of private sellers that I don’t know how to assess and a lot of dealerships that inspire differing levels of confidence.

How old? Should I look for Performance Pack? Should its absence be a dealbreaker? Should I stick to cars made post-2017? Post-2018? Should I pick a higher mileage car (70k, 90k, 110k) that’s newer and/or has PP features vs, say, a 2015 or 2016 with <50k miles that doesn’t look like it has those add-ons? What about 2014 if the miles are good (<60k) and the price is under $15 grand?

Should I just prioritize cheapness and good health/maintenance and forget about buying *the best GTI* with *the right options* and then add stuff like a LSD or tune in the aftermarket space on my own?

I’m in New England, and just a cursory search online is leading me to understand that 1) I’d have to find a shop to do it, and not everybody will 2) the parts on their own are about $1k, the labor is anywhere from $1-2k on its own, and usually it’s done with a clutch job or bigger tune bc it involves opening up the transmission (so probably expect to spend anywhere from $2.5-$4k depending on total work being done).

It feels like there’s so many variables. Like I could buy a car that’s got what I want and is/isn’t beat to poo poo and I could also spend more like $15k or more like $20k and it’s really a crapshoot. Also we’re talking about cars that are located like all over the northeast.

Is it even worth going through all of that trouble? Could I just find a “good enough” car in my area and sign some paperwork and be done with it? I don’t even know how much better the PP is vs just the bone-stock GTI and I don’t really have the means or time to extensively test drive those differences.

I think I’m starting to figure out that I should get the car that inspires the most confidence while also being new enough and as inexpensive as possible and gently caress everything else.

If I get something like a 2016 or 2017 in the ~60k miles range and spend more like $16 grand instead of $21 grand on a lower-mileage car/car with the add-ons, then I can plan on doing a clutch replacement+LSD upgrade when it hits 100k or something like that.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

dissss posted:

Maybe an unpopular opinion but if I was after a GTI I'd be choosing the auto. The DSG in the GTI is a very good transmission and the manual is (at best) mediocre.

IDK. The way I see it this is probably the last ICE car I buy before going electric, so if I’m comfortable driving stick why not do that? It can’t be that bad if every reviewer seems to recommend getting the stick and has for p much the entire model generation.

It’s not like I’d be in over my head or anything. I dailied manuals in Boston for ~6 years. Drove ‘em all over the place, to many lovely and less lovely jobs. I even drove Lyft with one for about a year when I was between jobs and going back to grad school.

Let me tell you that nothing makes you a clutch-control machine quite like driving strangers around America’s Worst Driving City (TM) for ~8 hrs at a time. Also I developed tendonitis in my left knee like a few months after I stopped but I have no idea if it was related. My left leg was notably more swole than my right tho.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 19, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

dissss posted:

Sure I can see the appeal of a manual, just not a manual GTI.

that bad of a manual, huh?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Are you all telling me not to get the manual?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Pine Cone Jones posted:

What is this cure?

isn’t it like buried deeeeep in a settings menu? Or was that for the M240i?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I’ve finally sat down and run the financials with a pro and come up with a range of what I’m willing to spend.

I’m going to be test driving some GTIs this week. I’m seeing a few 2017-2018 SEs, which at minimum have the nicer lights, if not the desired upgrades (or it’s standard in the 2018) and a couple of 2019s, including a Rabbit Edition (:allears:) at the highest end of my price range ($25k), but it is nifty. Also some less expensive 2019 SEs and IIRC maybe one S in the $20-24k range.

I’m going to be putting a lot of miles (~15-20k) on this car for work and after talking with a financial professional, I should be able to write off a healthy portion of the costs over the next several years. I want the best experience possible in terms of amenities but of course I don’t wanna overpay. Is the 2019 infotainment/etc worth it over the 2017? 2018? Am I gonna miss the plaid if I go with leather? How does the leather hold up?

There are way more SEs available in my area/budget with the desired features than anything else, so dollars to donuts I end up with leather interior and a sunroof. Is that bad? People seem to hate both those things....and I really want the plaid.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

So- unless somebody buys one of these large German boys out from under me in the next 48 hrs, I’m between a 2017 SE (Perf Pack/Lighting Pack, Sunroof, Leather, fancy Fender radio, NO DRIVER SAFETY FEATURES) for $23k

and a 2019 Rabbit Edition for $25k with the plaid seats that I think look cool (this isn’t a dealbreaker, worst case scenario I toss a plaid blanket in the passenger seat of the SE), paint color and wheels that I like better (white vs black paint, black Rabbit wheels vs regular, again not really a dealbreaker). The big sticking point for me is that the Rabbit has the newer driver safety package which includes automatic braking/front collision warning, lane warning, and adaptive cruise control. Also it has the basic, but newer head unit + less good radio.

I’ve come really dig the adaptive/radar cruise on my rental Corolla and it’s definitely a feature I’d like. Most critically, I feel I’ve become kind of paranoid about the automatic braking and sensor beeping poo poo. If I’d had it in the CRV I wouldn’t have crashed it, full stop.

Am I being a weird bitch? Like, not only is the Rabbit pricier to buy, it’s $20 a month more expensive to insure. In “total monthly payment” (loan+insurance) terms it’s like a $70 difference, which isn’t exactly chump change. It should be obvious that the 2017 is the better choice.

But I’m scared that 1) the sunroof is gonna be a pain point 2) I’m gonna crash it without the fancy electronic nannies.

It’s totally irrational, and based entirely on my recent experience crashing, but I guess I’m just curious as to what you’d do in my situation.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I am now reading that people with the adaptive braking have had their car stop itself suddenly when driving over poo poo like metal construction plates in the road, and that in at least one case somebody got “very nearly rear ended”.

Considering that ~85% of the cars on the road still don’t have any kind of brake assist maybe I’m better going without and just counting on myself to not rear-end somebody

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Volguus posted:

Speaking of shifters: Who has good manual transmissions? I presume it can be a bit personal but I'm really curious: Honda in the Si, Mazda on the Miata or in general? Ford on the Mustang? Subaru on the WRX?

The MX5 has a much better shifter than, say, the Mazda3. People were talking about it ITT like a week ago when I first brought up my car situation.

Also- I think I’m probably gonna end up in a black 2017 SE tbqh, because another has appeared with way fewer miles for way less money than the other two I’m looking at.

Worst case scenario I found a supplier of OEM Clark Plaid fabric. I can ask my mom to make me some decorative lumbar pillows, so that I can be like a more demure version of one of those VW guys

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Deviant posted:

hello yes i would like to pay your mother for a pair of VW plaid pillows

if y’all are serious that could probably be arranged. The fabric isn’t cheap (~$80 a linear yard) but my mom’s a wicked good (hobbyist) seamstress

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

A Ford Mustang Mach-e GT counts as a hot hatch, right

by that logic a Tesla Model 3 is more of a hot hatch

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
More questions from “trying to buy a used GTI without paying too close to new car prices”-land, this time about exhausts!

Ok Comboomer posted:

One of the cars I’m looking at is a 2016 SE w/ Perf Pack. 80k miles for $18k, one of the less expensive cars I’ve seen although slightly higher in miles than I’d like, but that’s kind of where my budget is unless I want to start spending $26k+ all-in.

Quite clean, passed all its inspections and poo poo, good maintenance schedule + carfax, drives well...so far so good aside from an aftermarket spoiler adhered to the factory spoiler (it was done well and shouldn’t be difficult to remove with the right solvent + 25 min of elbow grease) and a relatively tasteful and restrained aftermarket exhaust/catback.

If I can save like $1-2 grand over the next most similar car (2017 SE, ~75k miles, fresh brake rotors, new 2021 rims on it that look sweet, but probably wouldn’t have been my first choice, they want like $20k for it) I’ve seen of late, should I be open minded about it? Or should I walk away just on the principle that it has mods?

I figure if I really hate the muffler I can get a stock one for ~$100 and the labor can’t be prohibitively expensive right? Is this a decent idea to save some coin or am I playing with fire? Like even throwing $2k into fixing up whatever this car might need (doesn’t seem like it needs very much at all) vs spending that money on a similar car from another dealer seems like a decent idea right?

The car wasn’t excessively tarted up- just the exhaust and spoiler. Still a red flag?

Edit: also wondering if I should just avoid a 2016 for the turbo failure issues. Although if/when it goes I can take the money saved and fix it.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jun 25, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
the worm turns (also dad’s more on board now that I talked to him)

Ok Comboomer posted:

Ok. Ok scratch the previous post. I just saw a 2017 GTI Sport, with OEM Clubsport muffler and intake to make it sound like Rice Krispies, but subtly and tastefully.

Impeccably clean, long/detailed service record, 87k miles for ~$19500. No extra fees, they’re replacing the front bumper after I pointed out a crack in the trim. ~$21500 all-in with taxes, delivery, plates, etc.

Best car I’ve seen within my budget. So I put down a refundable deposit. Why not, I say. Worst case Ontario, I tell ‘em nah on Monday and they put $500 back on my credit card.

Well now I got my dad yelling at me on the phone telling me that it’s “way too many miles, and way too many miles for $20 grand” and that I should finance $4-5k more to get something with fewer miles, like between 40 and 60k.

Thoughts? I spent all week looking at cars in the 50-80k range and getting all-ins of $24.5, $25, $26k- which is a few thou more than I wanted to spend.

Like even if I have to do a clutch job or any number of other things in the emergent future, it would still be less than the ~$4k I’m saving, right?

Like if the car is otherwise in excellent shape?

Anyway am I being dumb or should I just buy this car? I can afford a bit more, I’d be comfortable all-in in the $23-24k range but I don’t wanna keep chasing cars like this to gain 10k/20k miles for $2-3 thousand if the gain is more academic than practical, while paying $250/week at this point for a rental, and with the market doing what it’s doing, etc. Plus the insurance premium is lower, right?

This is the closest to getting everything that I want in terms of trim, etc. I didn’t think I’d like the exhaust but it’s OEM and done at a dealer.

I just don’t want to buy a car that will deteriorate faster/sooner or need a bunch of work. I plan to put a lot of miles on it (15-20k/yr), but I’m coming from two very clean high-mileage cars that I took to ~200k so high miles don’t really phase me. The SE I saw yesterday had an all-in of $24,500 and it had 79k miles, and this is undoubtedly a better deal for me.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Is there any reason you aren't shopping private party? If it is because of getting a loan you can still do that PP.

Idk, I avoid spending the ~10% tax whenever possible.

because I don’t have the time to wait and there literally aren’t any to be had in my area. I needed a car two weeks ago. I’ve reached out to five PP ads and exactly one responded to tell me that he sold the car last month and that the listing was “a mistake”

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

my number one advice for you in this entire thing is to not get your dad involved in this decision

Ok but what about the car

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I bought a 19 FiST that some guy put bilsteins in, drove 1400 miles total, then sold. Unicorns do exist.

That’s because his girlfriend gave birth in the backseat and you just have no idea.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
And isn’t the deal with super-low mile manual cars that half of them are fine and half of them were an aborted attempt at Babby’s First Stick and the inside of the transmission looks like it’s got 200k miles on it instead of 5k?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

thehouseplant posted:

What market are you buying in again? Like, whereabouts are you.

New England

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

thehouseplant posted:

drat. Opposite end of the country. For the prices you're seeing, even I'm considering unloading mine now, and it's half the mileage that you are seeing.

Just crazy how bad the market is.

If the price is good and the car is good and it fits into my budget I’ll fly to you and drive it back. But only for a goon.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

thehouseplant posted:

Got DMs on here, or an email? I'll ping you some more details and see if it's still your cup of tea.

I have DMs, send me some Good News

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Deviant posted:

stop talking about teslas

or the weird tesla defenders will log on

It’s a fine car. If we’re gonna start chucking stones at people because the management at the companies making the cars they like do embarrassing poo poo then throw out all the VAG people over Hitler and Dieselgate and throw out all the FiSTers because Henry was literally a nazi

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Here we fuckin go again

Late Fees posted:

Let's agree Teslas are only hot when they're consumed by an unquenchable battery fire

Deviant posted:

which part do you like? the overly aggressive regenerative braking? the lack of a single button or knob anywhere in the passenger compartment? because i just loving love taking my eyes off the road to evaluate an ipad pro to do basic poo poo.

or maybe it's the body panels that are held together with electrical tape and adhesive foam and STILL somehow manage to not line up right? but it's okay, they'll fall off when rain dissolves the glue and you can reset them.

teslas are shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

their fans are shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

and the worst part is that libertarian space dad has convinced a small subset of the internet that he's changing the world, when really what they're doing is defending electric lexuses made by an rear end in a top hat

TheBacon posted:

But we are throwing out tesla because their fans not the founder (like he's not event he founder but sure for public he is but anyway he sucks rear end too it's just not relevant)

you mean like retired doctors and suburban lib parents and poo poo?

It reminds me of when everybody bitched about “Prius fans” 15 years ago, when every Prius driver I met was just a Camry Dad looking to save even more on gas

I’ll take a thousand a hundred ten lolbertarian internet Tesla fans over one Jeeper

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Deviant posted:

which part do you like? the overly aggressive regenerative braking? the lack of a single button or knob anywhere in the passenger compartment? because i just loving love taking my eyes off the road to evaluate an ipad pro to do basic poo poo.

or maybe it's the body panels that are held together with electrical tape and adhesive foam and STILL somehow manage to not line up right? but it's okay, they'll fall off when rain dissolves the glue and you can reset them.

teslas are shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

their fans are shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

and the worst part is that libertarian space dad has convinced a small subset of the internet that he's changing the world, when really what they're doing is defending electric lexuses made by an rear end in a top hat

1) is a FIAT Abarth not a hot hatch?

2) you can turn down the regen braking in the 3 way more easily and quickly than you can turn off auto revmatching in most contemporary standard cars

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
3) you’re accusing me of thinking Teslas are good. I don’t think they’re poo poo, but I never said the word “good” either. A lot of cars are “fine cars”. Dodge Caliber is a “fine car” depending on the metric and how you’re defining “fine”

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Deviant posted:

you won't convince me they're not all garbage

and one look at twitter is to know that yeah, tesla fanboys are loving weirdoes.

gently caress tesla.

ok

Edit: :chanpop: looool that Av was quick

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 29, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
the new Civic is beautiful and I cannot wait for both the Si and R to be hatches this time

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

prom candy posted:

My whole family is fully vaxxed finally so I got to take my mom for a spin in the GTI for the first time yesterday. She says it's way more comfortable than the Si. I also showed her that you can put it in manual mode and change gears as you see fit and she said "but why would you want to do that?"

did you take her on the highway and show her?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Honda tweeted that there still won't be an Si hatch this generation

loving lol, are Democrats running that company? Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

1) It’s a loving joke

2) Honda USA actually has a pretty big say in what cars get brought to/developed for the US market. They’re the ones responsible for turning the Ridgeline into a sales success by making it pretend to be more like a traditional truck. They also had a pretty sizable hand in developing the last Gen Civic, IIRC.

3) it’s a riff on the news from the other day that the biggest corporate donor to pro-insurrection members of Congress, by like an order of magnitude more than Koch, is Toyota

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Toyota was just trying to do right by their most hardcore fans in the US, Tacoma drivers

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Styles Bitchley posted:

LOL at trying to cancel Toyota over correlation.

In related news that Corolla or or Yaris GR hatchback or whatever won't happen in the US and if it does will be terribly boring. I mean they brought back the 86 and Supra and nobody is buying those.

nobody’s trying to cancel anybody over anything, you dork. settle down

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Also nobody buys the 86 because the ND Miata’s been out for 6 years now.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Styles Bitchley posted:

Google "toyota boycott", dork.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I don't have to boycott Toyota for giving money to the chuds I can just continue to boycott them because literally every single car that they make that isn't a 4x4 has at least one counterpart in the Honda/Subaru/Mazda stables that is exponentially more desirable. Or a Bimmer in the case of the Supra.

hell even the BRZ just implicitly gets more respect than the 86 and they're the exact same car (to say nothing of the FRS, goddamn. Talk about losing like $4k in value vs your identical twin all because Toyota insisted it needed to carry a "Scion" badge)