Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Octopus Magic posted:

No Mitsubishi Cyborg ZR love here?

Mitusbishi's answer to the Civic Type R with a 172hp 1.6L engine.

Never came to the states, and it's a shame. Very attractive hatch IMHO.

Its really only an SiR competitor. Probably the best one out of VZ-R and FXGT though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

What is this diesel obsession?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Badmana posted:

Because they're so rare I think we don't see the downside to owning them (is there a down side?). I'd get one in an heartbeat if they were more common.

Its the extra weight and power delivery that I don't like.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Springfield Fatts posted:

Since you don't drive manual one small thing to note is both the MS3 and ST are six-speeds instead of the more common five-speed. This means in addition to the extra gear reverse is located on the upper left of the clutch.

A large proportion of the cars still available with a manual transmission are six speeds - kinda necessary for fuel economy reasons.

Also is have to disagree with whoever said the GTI has the same fun factor as other hot hatches - the GTI is a great car but its more of an all rounder, slower, softer and more refined.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Eh I think VWs DSGs especially the seven speed are really overrated - they really don't capture the good parts of a manual or an auto.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Powershift posted:

The small overlap crash test basically means no more dead pedal in any car ever again.

Should be fine in a proper RHD car.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

blk posted:

I'm confused by this. Does a rear door really provide more rigidity and side impact protection than a doorless rear quarter? I would think that side impact protection would also be the same between 3 and 5 door as the location of the B pillar doesn't seem to move that much - the driver and passenger doors on most 3 door compacts aren't dramtically larger. Why fewer rattles?

They are though, and that is what causes all the other stuff

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I hope this thread stays alive because hot hatches are the best type of car.

Not too sure if these count has 'hot' but they are at least warm hatches. Pretty run of the mill but as I've just done washing them I thought you North Americans might get a kick out of them.

The black one is my father's car - a 2006 Japanese import Fiesta ST and the grey one is my mother's - a 2007 Swift Sport

Very basic but functional interiors in both cases

Despite being quite close in size and concept the cars actually feel quite different to drive. The Fiesta feels like a much bigger car, everything feels heavier and there is a bunch more torque everywhere in the rev range. The Swift on the other hand feels more like a go cart, much better steering and gear change and the brakes are quite excellent (stops hilariously quickly) but on the flip side it feels comparatively gutless, is really short geared in 5th and the interior is made out of very lightweight plastics. On the other hand the paint on the Ford is about as hard as soft cheese (I realise black is always difficult to look after and shows damage easily but that doesn't account for just how easily the drat thing picks up scratches and stone chips) and the wheel centre caps just will not stay in place (which is why the remaining two are in the shed rather than on the car).

I'm actually not sure which one I prefer to drive - the Ford is definitely quicker in a straight line and quieter but the Suzuki is just so much fun.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Dr.Caligari posted:

You are right, I somehow missed the part about it being an 06. I it wasn't more than a few years old and didn't even realize that they had been making turbo Fiesta's anywhere that long ago. I also didn't know the the 'ST' badge was used before '12, I thought 'SVT' was Ford's performance badge at that time.

For 06 that looks about right then.

Not even turbo, it's just an N/A 2l Duratec. Goes pretty well in a lightweight car though.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I don't know about the other systems but the current VW hill assist makes parking extremely difficult if you are on a steep-ish hill.

Its something I'd definitely have disabled.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The DSG in the Golf GTI is fine. I really don't like the 7 speed in the Polo GTI though

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Saga posted:

Do any AI peeps have current or previous experience of the EP3 Civic Type R (the thread-appropriate 01-06 "breadvan")?

They are currently amazing value in the UK, but even amongst owners opinion seems to be completely divided. Either they're totally reliable, bonkers and the best car ever (bar a few easily fixable foibles), or they're the DC5/Accord Type R's retarded cousin, torque steer worse than a Viggen (!) and handling is either wild understeer or snap-oversteer into a tree.

I won't realistically be able to throw one around my local b-roads unsupervised before I buy, so I thought I would ask goons - do they actually go around corners? Are they all grip, like your boring modern cars, or can you actually slide them around in the space available on a normal road?

'All grip' is a fairly accurate description from the few I've driven, but not these did all have fairly expensive and high quality tyres on (not sure what one would be like on Supercats or whatever the UK equivalent is)

I didn't notice any real torque steer but that's probably because there isn't a lot of torque (I was cross shopping cars with a lot more of that like the 3 MPS)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Nodoze posted:

Since you are in a place where you can get an EP3 Type R I am assuming you could also get an EK9 Type R too?

They're a lot harder to get because the model is older now, a large number of them got tracked or otherwise ruined and they never made very many of them in the first place.

Would be easier to get a DC2-R because while the first two points apply they did make a tonne more of them in the first place

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The only thing I don't like about the Fiesta/Focus ST is the interior styling - just way too much going on for my tastes. Then again maybe I'm just old and grumpy.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

If anything the less power you have the more gears you need

lovely cellphone picture:

The 3 is mine, the (old shape) Fiesta ST my dads and the (brand new) Focus ST you can just see the arse end of is my aunts. My mums Swift Sport is there too, but you can't really see it.

Hatches are awesome

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I really don't think you'll comfortably fit a baby seat into a Fiesta (any Fiesta) - definitely check that out.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I think front plates look fine on the Focus. They really ruin the current shape 3 though, which is unfortunate as they are absolutely 100% compulsory here

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

Poking around on the VW site, it's kind of funny how they are advertising the 5.8" screen as a good thing. Meanwhile Europe gets the 8" screen.

As an option.

Anyway I'd say the much bigger/more powerful engine that US cars come with is much more impressive than a slightly bigger screen on the stereo

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

8ender posted:

I'm still impressed that Subaru somehow made it out of almost an entire decade of head gasket destruction mayhem with their reliability reputation relatively intact while VW didn't.

Just be glad you never got the twin turbo Legacies, especially as cheap grey market imports - I doubt Subaru's reputation here will ever recover.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

bobfather posted:

Are you joking? Electrical gremlins are the worst sort. Bring your car back to your dealer and have them sort that poo poo out.

Yeah, you'd definitely want to at least get a record that this is happening because it will probably get much worse as time goes on.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

8ender posted:

It's weird too because I read an interview with some Audi engineers where they said that while they could get more power out of the 2.0L the powerband was peaky and laggy and that adding the extra cylinder with a slight displacement bump made the car a lot more fun to drive. Apparently VW did not get this memo.

More like they just don't care - that car is all about the numbers anyway

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I think you answered your own question there - it costs another grand for a feature that is fairly difficult to explain.

Especially seeing as the brake based systems usually work quite well (and that brake wear issue is not going to become apparent until after you've had the car a while). Much more likely the manufacturer will add a useless touchscreen entertainment system instead - at least that is something the dealer can show off.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I really don't mind the gearchange in my first gen MS3 - sure it's not exactly Honda slick but it's certainly better than the five speed in my dads older (2006) Fiesta ST and no worse than the manual in the Mk5 GTI or Focus XR5 (which were my other choices)

Maybe it's because mine has only done ~36,000 miles and they get worse with age or something.

E. I certainly do not like the thinness of the paint (especially on the roof) or how the dashboard rattles in cold weather.

dissss fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jun 23, 2015

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I thought the rev-hang was there for emissions reasons - it seems to be present to a lesser or greater extent in every modern car I've driven.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The front doesn't look bad to me but the back definitely isn't normal on any Fiesta I've seen. I'd definitely get the dealer to fix that.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I also went from a "lifetime" of European cars to a Ford hatchback and I agree with your observations (tho my dealer is ok-ish and give me loaners). I think they were going after our market demographic but underestimated how much of a drat we give about "fit" and not tolerating lazy halfass poo poo on a brand new mass-production car made in TYOOL 2015.

The things is the Fiesta is essentially a European car.

It certainly isn't any worse built compared to it's contemporaries (maybe the Polo is a little better, but nothing out of France or Italy is).

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

My European hatch doesn't have any of these problems. :iiam:

Maybe not, but poor/inconsistent build quality isn't exactly unheard of in Volkswagen group products either.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

My 7 year old MS3 has done a total of 37,000 miles and in the year I've had it I've only contributed 3,500

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'd say the Audi S3 (if you consider that a hatch)

The GTI is a good all rounder though

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Subaru's are not RWD

The 1 series is the only RWD hatch I can think of but if you can't fit in an Impreza you certainly won't be able to for into that

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

fknlo posted:

No because I'd probably own one if we did.

Not if you were 6 foot 7 - I feel cramped in one and I'm 6 nothing and scrawny

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

scuz posted:

Great, now I'm worried about the recommended pressure of 44 on my MK4 Golf :ohdear: Or are you talking about only snow tires, cuz that makes more sense.

Where did you get that 44 from?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I never fail to marvel at US centric tyre chat.

I'd count myself lucky to get 15,000 miles off any tyres let alone anything performance orientated - course seal and winding roads are just murder on tread life.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

That's on some crazy low profile tyres though - I doubt that much pressure is appropriate for a Mark 4

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

GTIs are fragile enough without trying to bump up the power - I definitely wouldn't be doing that at all let alone within the warranty period.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Isn't that the same one as the old Focus had? If that's the case it isn't particularly impressive.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

MarsellusWallace posted:

PS good lord, Mazda needs to get their zoom-zoom on in the Mazda3, literally the only downside of that car is the lack of oomph at low RPMs and the fact that the radio looks like a cheap aftermarket unit sitting on top of the dash. Don't they have a grunty turbo four for the 3's CUV platform-mate?

Not yet

They do a diesel as the top spec in a lot of markets but I maintain diesels don't ever suit small cars, especially ones that are supposed to be hot (or at least warm)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I don't think the exterior looks too bad.

The interior on the other hand - if you're going to wholesale copy one of your competitors at least choose someone with a better layout than Ford

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I really don't think the BMW corporate design scales down well either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'd take it to a bodyshop and get their opinion as ton whether it's a manufacturing defect, or some sort of impact damage first and then go do battle with the dealership (even though you already know the answer to this it'll give you something to back you up)