Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
I don't own it yet, simply because it won't be here until December at the earliest, but I do own a large deposit on a Mercedes A45. My specs look like this, but with a massive sunroof:

I ordered it for my mother to replace her Mark V Golf GTI but I kinda sorta want to keep it for myself after seeing the first reviews...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

BEARS IN THE BARN posted:

You look at the price tag and specs on this and say "Yes, this seems like a breakthrough car".

Then you look at the interior. What the fuuuuuck why is Mercedes the only manufacturer doing thisssssss

It's a relative bargain here. It's not much/any more expensive than a well optioned Golf R, Audi S3, or M135i but comes with just about everything standard and is much more powerful. We have the option of black wheels, an aerodynamics package, and a track suspension package. That's it. Given the state of Australian roads, the aero package will hit everything and fall apart and the suspension will be intolerable on anything but a perfect racetrack.

The interior makes no sense whatsoever. None. WHY is there a giant ugly telephone keypad when there's voice control? Why is the screen not touch? Why are there so many buttons? The interior of my five year old VW R36 is miles ahead in terms of ergonomics and aesthetics. Honestly, the interior (well, mostly the interface between driver and gadgets) is the worst aspect of the A45. I can handle the faux carbon fibre (but I'd much prefer something else, like dark alcantara) and gaudy red trim but I just can't understand why it has a 0-9 keypad and no touch screen but does have voice control that actually works.

Mercedes :argh:

Finch! fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 9, 2013

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
After 11.5 months waiting, it's here! lovely iPhone photos because I'm lazy.

Glad I had the "A45 4MATIC //AMG" badges removed - they look retarded.

It is hilarious. It pops, crackles, snaps, cracks, farts, whatever. Sounds great, is stupidly fast, blah blah blah. I'm not sure if I find the sound more enjoyable than the speed... probably, since I haven't really had a chance to open it up yet. Good times.

I'm already planning to get the rest of the roof wrapped in black to match the sunroof...

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Snowdens Secret posted:

None of your pictures work, and while it's probably your host you still want to avoid image leeching. Throw them up on imgur.

They should work now - I deleted them because I'd forgotten to scrub the metadata (and GPS coordinates!).

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
More A45 photos!

I had some Gtechniq products applied, and a full Xpel Ultimate kit installed. This is the whitest white car I've ever seen... it hurts to look at it in bright sunlight.

It's so much fun to drive. I find myself going the long way and unnecessarily entering underground or multi-level car parks. The sound - particularly upshifts and the snaps and crackles on the overrun - seems to upset a few pedestrians, but it also does get plenty of thumbs up. Willall Racing do a "phase 1" tuning package for $2500, taking it to 305kw and 560nm (409hp/413 foot pounds), with free upgrades to phase 2 and 3 as they are released. It's tempting as gently caress but I'm scared to spend any more money :(

Edit for interior:

Finch! fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Apr 3, 2014

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Terrible Robot posted:

So mad that we don't get that in the US. That may be my most favorite new hot-hatch yet.

Yeah, I don't understand that. I'm almost certain they come in both left and right hand drive variants. I know you get the CLA, I'm kinda puzzled as to why you don't get the A, particularly the A45. You're missing out :(

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Rhyno posted:

Rub it in a bit more you jerk.

Just kidding dude, that's hot as gently caress.

I'm loving the colour combination. I thought white on black wheels was played out a few years ago. Never thought I'd end up with it, but I kind of like it. My other car is blue (VW R36 - belongs in the 'hot wagon' thread!) and it's forever filthy, particularly the wheels with brake dust. This looks cleaner - I like it.

Galler posted:

I don't really get Merc's design decision to stick a little tablet to the dash like that. Reminds me of those aftermarket phone holders that clip on to the air vents. Literally everything else about that car is incredible though so whatever.

I'm with you on that. It's weird. It does work though - it's easy to see and take in the information on it, particularly in navigation mode. Controlling it is taking some getting used to, particularly as it is not a touch screen and you have to do everything by either voice commands (which work surprisingly well) or a kind of annoying dial and some buttons. I guess I'm still figuring it out.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Sumptious posted:

What a beautiful example of an A45. How much $AU did it end up setting you back so far? I think the A45 looks much more expensive than it is. Can't wait till I see one in the flesh.

Hey, thanks. I haven't really had time to make it filthy yet - it only has 500km on it. I need to be less busy so I can drive it more. I'm heading overseas for three weeks soon, so it won't get used much for a while. There aren't too many around - I've only seen one other on the road in Adelaide and three others at the dealer when I picked it up. I did see one in Bangkok last year, but that's it.

It's cost me way too much money for a small car. It was $82500-ish on the road, minus $12000 for a 2006 Golf GTI trade in - so around $70000 out of pocket. The paint protection and film was $3000, Euro style plates are $150 a year, and NRMA comprehensive plus insurance with a $250 excess is $1300-ish per year. But hey, it's fun and I've had a good year so I can kind of justify it.

I have no idea what servicing costs will be like, but I'm really not looking forward to buying new tyres - they're 235/35/R19 :ohdear:

Finch! fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Apr 3, 2014

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I really like that interior on the A45 but Jesus Christ, that's well out of hot hatch territory.

For a price benchmark so us 'murcans can get an idea of what it runs, what would a ST or a GTI Performance Pack run you?

At drive away prices (basically inclusive of all costs incurred to buy it without finance and with all taxes and charges included - drive it home from the dealer and keep driving it prices) a Focus ST is $42,425, and a Golf GTI with DSG (the way I'd buy it) is $49,393. I'm not sure if that includes the performance pack - factor in another $2500 if it doesn't.

Sole Survivor posted:

Seriously. Considering a CLA45 AMG is over $48,000 (US) with absolutely no options, you would figure an A45 AMG would be minimum $40,000. That makes it a really hard sell considering the countless new and slightly used performance cars you can buy for that money.

A CLA45 is $95,142 drive away here. Ridiculous. :(

We do tend to get cars with a very high level of base options here, though. There are only three options for the A45: black wheels, performance suspension, and the aero kit. Every other possible option is included.

Voltage posted:

Very nice A45 - just curious, how much would a similarly optioned M3 or C63 AMG set you back where you are?

A 2014 C63 sedan is $157,277, and the Edition 507 is $182,693. An M3 coupe, with the dual clutch transmission, is $176,090.

Here are some other fun prices!

Porsche 991 911. Base model coupe, manual gearbox, no options: $224,863.
Ferrari F12: $740,408.
Rolls Royce Phantam II: $862,948.
Rolls Royce Phantom II Drophead: $1,085,311 (yes, that's over a million bucks for a convertible - and people actually buy 'em).
Nissan GT-R: $183,042.
Subaru WRX Premium, manual: $48,358.
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon: $54,003.

The median house price in my state is something like $450,000.

:sigh:

Bajaha posted:

This thing is gorgeous. The exterior looks amazing, and those seast, drat they look good. Also not a huge fan of the nav setup but eh, I've seen lots of euro cars with that kind of mounting so I guess it's the style now.

And yeah, $2500 for a 40-50hp bump with the the phase 1 and free upgrades to phase 2 & 3(what exactly does that all entail?) seems like a hell of a deal. At this point your too far down the rabbit hole to look back, it's a relatively small expense compared to the purchase price of the car, and why not make it more looney toons crazy fast.

I'll look into it more seriously when I either get bored with - or at least used to - the current performance. Technically it's still being run in. I've never chipped a car under warranty before and given the brief history of A45 gearbox issues I'm a little reluctant to. We'll see :)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

So in the US, back of envelope, the A45 would cost about 48K.

That's not horrible, but I'd be hard pressed to not buy the M235i.

I don't think we have confirmed M235i pricing here yet, but I expect it to be around $90,000. Would be a tough decision between the two. Given that even thinking about being a bit tail happy through corners here is a one way ticket to fines and your car being impounded, the all wheel drive of the AMG makes it a more useful car and much faster point-to-point. The M235i isn't a real M car and the AMG is a real AMG - but the BMW's engine is gorgeous, the interior isn't as lairy, and it's a sexy, sexy coupe shape. Flip a coin, I guess!

Finch! fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 4, 2014

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
The R32 is a riot. Enjoy - they're one of the last of their breed. I've just made the bitterweet decision to trade my R36 (not a hatch) for a new Audi RS3 (definitely a hatch). ETA is... eventually. Price is $lots :(

I sold the A45 to my mother - she didn't want to give it back after I let her drive it for six months while I was overseas and to be perfectly honest I find it a little... sterile, I guess. Not boring, very fast, but it had no soul and i have no attachment to it at all.

This guy, however...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fCpMMURclE

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

I can't really afford it but I figure it's one of the last chances I'll have to buy a small new car with anything other than a 2.0 turbo four... and that sound :allears:

Finch! fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Mar 14, 2015

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Taco Box posted:

Oh my :awesome: is that a stock exhaust? Sweet feathery Jesus

Yeah, I think that's the factory "performance" exhaust. I'll order mine with that (and some better looking wheels!) and then worry about improving the sound later, if at all. I have no idea about colour yet but I'm thinking this funky grey with BBS CH wheels, either black or the less shiny silverish colour:

Finch! fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 16, 2015

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

fknlo posted:

I'd be really interested in the RS3 if it came to the US(it won't) outside of the fact that it would probably be in the $60k+ neighborhood. And gently caress that.

Australian pricing hasn't been confirmed yet, either. It will probably be closer to $70000 of your dollars here :(

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
Bad news. Australian pricing for the Audi RS3 has been released and it looks like it won't be possible to get one with a comparable specification to the Mercedes A45 I'll be replacing with it for less than $105000, or about $25000 more than the A45. The RS3 is not $25000 more car. Audi Australia have completely missed the mark.

Volkswagen Australia don't have any plans to bring the Golf R400 to Australia but I'm sure it will get here eventually. Fortunately the place where I have a deposit for the RS3 is also a Volkswagen dealer, so I can just change the paperwork.

I think this is just a convoluted way of keeping the A45. Sigh.

Finch! fucked around with this message at 09:42 on May 2, 2015

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

jediguy posted:

Are you kidding? That's outrageous pricing. And the reviews of the RS3 haven't been totally gushing either. Why the hell would you buy one over an A45...

It's $78900 + options + taxes + other Australian gouging. Realistically the options you'd want are:

• $6490 for tone of two "performance" packages: black wheels, wider front wheels and tyres, Audi magnetic ride, B&O sound system, carbon inlays, red brake calipers. I'd only want this for the magnetic ride and the upgraded stereo, neither of which cannot be optioned separately.
  • $1950 for an interior design package so that the interior is kinda different to a 1.6 TDI A3.
  • $1600 for an assistance package which includes adaptive cruise control, which I've come to love in the A45 and I don't want my next car to be without it.
  • $1450 for metallic paint.
  • $2535 for a panoramic sunroof. I love the panoramic roof in the A45.

Other options are a $1600 matt exterior styling package (which I could do without by would really like to have) and as yet unknown cost for the amazing RS bucket seats.

That's $14000-ish right there, likely to be $18000 by the time the RS bucket prices are known... turning a $78900 car into a $96900 car before taxes and a further $3000 for the dealer to pocket.

I just can't do it. I mean, I can, but there's a HUGE psychological barrier - the bits it has on top of the A45 (one more cylinder with 0.5L capacity, magnetic ride, epic seats) aren't worth $25000+ more to me.

The trouble is, there's not a whole lot out there at $100000. Any sub $100000 Cayman, M3, or C63 is going to be old, crashed, well used, a grey import, or a combination thereof. It's Alfa 4C territory but the 4C won't handle my driveway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Defghanistan posted:

No poo poo if this was in NA I would've bought this over my golf R in a HEARTBEAT.
This thing is amazing.
A-mazing.

It's a pretty epic little car. It's fast as hell, feels like a go kart, and sounds... kind of antisocial in the right circumstances. The best bit is my 68 year old mother driving around in it - she absolutely loves it.

MetaJew posted:

He was in Australia and the car was over $100k USD, I thought. Madness, but I kind of want one.

I'm still in Australia :) The A45 was $83000 Australian when I picked it up about 18 months ago - around $77000 US at the time or $57000 today.

You know what really sucks? I just ordered a new C63s wagon. $171000 - $117000 USD :( It's not the same bargain the A45 was :(