Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

Coolnezzz posted:

Edit: wrong thread!

Traded in my S3 for a 2018 Civic Si in the best color, Rallye Red. S3 was an amazing car, but kind of boring and expensive for a car I hardly drove.
Have a picture anyway:

I was debating a gti or used golf r, but was offered a pretty good deal on a civic si later next month, what made you pick that if you don't mind my asking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Edit: Double post, I'm dumb

Pine Cone Jones fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 6, 2018

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Thanks! I'll have to give the si a test drive when I have a chance, especially if I can snag one with the performance package.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Voltage posted:

Just bought this 2018 Civic Si coupe. Super fun, I drove a ton of stuff and I was pretty shocked by how fun it was and how nice the interior is. Excellent transmission, engine has more than adequate power, and the electronic damping actually works. Even has a real LSD!

Not exactly a hatch but its still a turbo manual fwd econobox.

Had to go to 4 different dealers but I ended up getting it for 3k under sticker.

Only complaints are no volume knob or e-brake, but not really a dealbreaker.

I've decided on one of these for my next car, though still uncertain about getting a coupe or sedan. How has it been so far for you?

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Rhyno posted:

What are the major differences between the Si and Type R besides power and wings?

The Si comes in both Coupe and Sedan, the latter of which I'll be picking up later in the year, while the Type R is hatchback only.
I've not driven both, however from what I've read of the Type R, the general noise level in the cabin in the Type R is higher, but I feel like that's expected given the focus of the car.
"The Type R suspension is more purpose-oriented, with the primary purpose being to perform well on a track. The front suspension features a dual axis strut arrangement with an anti-roll bar, while the rear is multi-link with an anti-roll bar. Adaptive dampers are fitted at the front and rear." ( https://www.autobytel.com/sedans/car-buying-guides/2018-honda-civic-si-vs-2018-honda-civic-type-r-which-is-for-you-132801/ )
The brakes are also beefed up on the Type R, they're great on the Si, but better on the Type R.
Both have an LSD, though I don't recall exactly what makes the one in the Type R different.

Even though I've not driven a Type R, it's too much for me and I find I'd lose my license if I got that or a Golf R. At least with the Si I can keep myself in check a little bit.

Pine Cone Jones fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 15, 2018

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Voltage posted:

Civic Si warranty work update: they found nothing wrong with the low boost, but I mentioned my shifter was clicky and it turns out the entire shift assembly was broken so they are replacing that all now. I'm just going to bring it to a tuner with a dyno or something and see what the actual deal is - possibly bad gas?

Any other news since then? Still haven't pulled the trigger on mine, not for another few weeks anyway.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Voltage posted:

Must have been bad gas, I burned down the tank and filled up at costco and after 50 miles or so I had full boost again. Shifter was also completely replaced and feels better than new. Still love the car. I want to start modding it so badly but i need to wait until the warranty is up...

With my jeep hopefully selling in the next two weeks, I'll be starting the process of getting an SI, though gotta somehow figure out how to get a blue one in New England. They seem to be hard to come by anywhere though.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Well I'm pulling the trigger on the si. Going with a tonic yellow coupe, just have to see when one will arrive.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Well, I had bought a 16 wrx in January and this weekend traded it in for a 16 VW GTI SE with the performance and lighting package. I feel like I might just be getting too old for something on edge as the WRX.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

I bought my gti at a dealer in Maine, but as a NH resident I didn't pay any taxes on it. All I did was provide proof of residence.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

blk posted:

How's reliability on MK7 GTIs? Is VW the same as it's always been, or have they improved?

I bought a 16 a few months ago, but so far it's been great. I do agree that the gas tank could be bigger though.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

I get grumpy about crossovers and trucks, I wish I could wrap my head around what makes them appeal to someone. I get it if you use a truck to haul, but so few people at work who have these big fuckoff trucks never do a drat thing with them. Crossovers are just so boring and mediocre that it feels like the people that buy them are just giving up and settling in mediocrity and I can't stand it.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Rusty posted:

Agreed, the CR-V, RAV4 and the like are so similar and boring, I don't get it and they're everywhere along with those Subaru Crosstrek things that have CVT transmissions. I guess people don't care about the driving part, just the potential to go offroad if they need to or something. And the F150s just baffle me, they're so huge and boring, but it's their money. I think it's just too bad all innovation goes in to the most copy cat vehicles and we don't get cool things like that Toyota hatch.

It is a shame, we don't get much in the way of exciting cars it seems and those that we do get are way out of my price range. If my husband fit in a ND Miata, I'd of bought it, but as it was we got a GTI instead. I'm just hoping the US market doesn't end up cutting out all fun cars

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

bowmore posted:

almost every modern car looks the same

I understand it's to make a "safe"car that will appeal to the lowest common denominator, but I can't wrap my head around the mindset of the folks that find a crossover appealing.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

I managed to find a 16 gti with the performance and lighting packages and it's been great so far, despite my occasional lack of experience with a manual.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Been looking at the AWE exhaust for my 16 GTI, are there any recommendations for or against it? I was thinking of the track exhaust but keep the stock downpipe in the hope it wouldn't be too loud.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

What are you looking for in an exhaust? The stock exhaust with a catted downpipe is both a power increase and a sound increase.

Mostly something that is a bit louder, but not excessively so, with a bit of power too.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

I've heard mixed things, I may just go with the stock downpipe and track exhaust. I've heard the same setup in person and it seemed reasonable.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

thehouseplant posted:

I have a 2017 with a CTS Turbo downpipe and the AWE track exhaust. It's loud, and there's a fair bit of drone past 3k RPM. I personally enjoy it, but it's probably a bit ridiculous for a daily. I've heard that the track exhaust is meant to go with a stock downpipe, but I had a tune soooooo... noise here we come.

I'll see if I can find a video (or just make one) if you are interested.

That would be cool if you don't mind. I'm trying to figure out something that isn't louder than the rawtek downpipe w/resonator and banks exhaust my husband has in his tdi wagon. I would ask some locals, but with what's going on, I'd rather not hang out in a car with folks I don't need to right now.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

thehouseplant posted:

Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ie2CWSjryM and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdfepCIxHbI

First one is a cold start up until it hits normal idle (~1min), and the second is an in-cabin (passenger seat) perspective through some rev ranges. Hopefully the quality of the second isn't too much of a dumpster fire (may have to crank it to HD on YouTube). It's worth mentioning that I wouldn't touch this setup with a 10-foot pole if I wasn't in a 6MT. The only reason it's tolerable is because I have more control over when I shift. If it was DSG, I'd have to live in manual mode and keep an eye on it.

Thanks. It does sound good, the mention of cabin noise is what kind of makes me concerned about getting the track edition if I do get an aftermarket downpipe eventually. I may just go with the touring and if the time comes that I install a downpipe, I could just buy the conversion kit from AWE and do that, even if it is a bit of extra cost later.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The rev hang is very curable and the cure has numerous side benefits

What is this cure?

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

PT6A posted:

Every GTI/R insurance policy should cover a GTI/R as a loaner, because... yeah, I know the feeling. It could be worse though, you could have a Kona.

I have to ask about your avatar

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

At least for me, a good stereo has always been the most important part of a car after it running and not being a rusty shitbox. I'd say go for the SE over the rabbit, but that's me.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Fart Car '97 posted:

Isn't it still a general rule that it's better to upgrade the sound system in your car than pay for a premium one from the factory?

I have the fender system in my 16 gti and frankly it's the best system I've had in a car period, but the gti has also been the fanciest car I've had, so that that with a grain of salt

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Nevermind

Pine Cone Jones fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 2, 2021

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Nomyth posted:

Trip report:
-VW announced the ‘22 GTI and R and then took the hatches home before anyone could touch them, poo on VW
-Chevy had a Spark and it was sad to see as the only non-lifted budget subcompact on the floor
-‘21 Civic hatch is good, actually—they had the ‘22 sedan but hatch wasn’t ready yet. No Si or Type R at show but we never get those anyways in the heart of Suburbia (maybe the Si). I wish I was old enough to touch the magic when the Miata debuted
-Toyota super-coy about what we’re getting instead of GR Yaris. Please continue to enjoy the sportily-styled Apex Corollas
-No Mazda, no Hyundai, no Audi. RIP

Non-hatch related things:
-BMW had all of 6 cars they could get to bring from local dealers. There was both an M3 CS and M4 CS, but the M3 was the color of Mountain Dew. A perfect fit for an idiot like me who by all other fates shouldn’t be in this socioeconomic class (I’m still waiting for the ‘22 2-series)
-Subaru didn’t use vehicle stickers because apparently those are evil and kill the earth. They also had puppies in a playpen in the middle of their exhibit
-Kia had some badass electronic displays for vehicle stickers. The new logo makes the IA in KIA look like a backwards N
-I am now a product segmentation conspiracy theorist, because I think the reason Subaru won’t make a WRX wagon is because they think it will undercut the Onyx-Edition-and-up Outbacks. Nevermind that Outbacks are 500 pounds heavier. (I test drove a base Impreza and Onyx Outback)
-Also I’m new to this but the ‘22 BRZ can hold stuff if you fold down the fake-for-insurance rear seats, as long as you can deal with the small trunk opening.

I want the new BRZ bad for some reason. I waffle constantly about buying one last ICE car or just keeping the gti and driving it into the ground.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Volguus posted:

Test-drove the Veloster N a few days ago and it was a blast. It completely sold me on the thing. Normal mode driving is freaking smooth and N-mode is just <insert you favourite crazy adjective here>. Rear seats are just for emergency lifts, of course, but even my son who is 183cm (6 ft whatever inches) tall could put the passenger front seat as close as comfortable and still fit in the back seat. Not comfortable back there, but hey ...

On one hand I feel like i'm too old for this poo poo, on the other, drat, what am I waiting for. The price is not too bad (CAD prices that is) for what will have to be a new vehicle as the prices for used ones are not sane at all. That veloster engine sound is just something that needs to be experienced.

edit: The clutch bites a lot lower than on my Golf, which is going to require a bit of getting used to, but I found it quite comfortable. And the torque basically allowed me to go in 5th at 50km/h, something that my Golf would bark at (not a gti, just plain 1.8 TSI).

The Veloster N has been on my radar for a little while and while I was skeptical at first, I honestly have grown to like it. I've been daydreaming about eventually replacing my GTI with something and possibly with a Veloster N/BRZ/Miata, but I'm honestly uncertain about buying another ICE 4 wheeled vehicle at this point for some reason.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

As someone whose spent most of his life in Maine and NH, if you're going to be driving in the snow, snow tires are probably a better first bet than worrying about FWD/RWD/AWD and just getting some practice in. I'm probably in the minority of people that doesn't like the reliance on AWD in colder climates, it's nice to have, but if I could do fine in snow in my honda fit and gti, I'm sure those'll be fine.

Also I have a mighty want for a 22 BRZ/86, but probably shouldn't.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

Dailied an E36 in MA/NH/ME for like 5 years—aside from learning how to compensate for a slide you get some snow tires and that’s p much it. Maybe put some weight in the back.

Aside from 3 years with a CRV all my cars have been FWD/RWD

Between 86 & BRZ which one would you get?

I'd have to go with the BRZ just for the WR Blue.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

It’s arguably the better car from the factory

But that face....

I don't think it's bad, I don't like the shape of the trunk, but the upside of driving one is that I don't have to look at either too much. Also, I'm too stubborn to wear my glasses while I'm at home, so I won't even have to see it!

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

I know I've asked before, but I'm forgetful. I'd like to eventually start modifying my Mk7 GTI and would probably want to start with giving the clutch more feel and had been thinking of an aftermarket bleeder block and steel braided clutch lines, but I recall someone mentioning something about a spring too? I frankly don't recall what that was. My husband brought up eventually getting an intake and exhaust, but that's on the pricier end of the spectrum.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

teh_Broseph posted:

Drive by shitpost search youtube clutch spring removal it takes 30s and a pair of pliers, and order or make a clutch stop (later I can dig up and link one I got on Etsy for $13 that's almost perfect and just plugs in takes 30s no tools). Also check out the Boomba short shift adapter it's p cool.

I'll take a look at the clutch spring removal, but I'm not entirely sure. The short shifter kit seems cool, but I'm weird and don't know if I'd want to get rid of the golf ball shifter.

E. I honestly don't know enough where if you'd be able to keep the original shifter with that kit.

Pine Cone Jones fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 7, 2021

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

That V60 is sweet as hell and I'm mildly jealous.

The above mentioned savagegeese videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaDo8WwT1VE 2022 Civic Hatch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkW0Fr5KGf0 2022 Civic SI

I really do like the look of the SI and think about that, but I have lots of random daydreams about what car I'd like next.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Nah, honestly I'll probably just keep my GTI for the long term. As much as i want to get something new like the BRZ, SI, etc... I don't really have a good reason to switch.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

So far my Mk7 GTI has been great, the only thing I'd really think about moving onto is a BRZ/GR86 or a new Civic SI, though that V60 has me thinking thoughts.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Styles Bitchley posted:

Sucks the Golf R had like 45 different color options but I only see the same boring blue/gray/black/white, sometimes red.

https://www.karenradleyvw.com/blog/what-colors-does-the-2019-volkswagen-golf-r-come-in/

There is a dude at my work that has one in what is very close to the mopar lime green and it looks sweet as hell.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

I have a real dumb complaint and it's about me. As I get older, the way I hosed up the muscles in my legs and hips make bucket seats suck and painful to sit in for long drives and it's led me to thinking I should eventually trade in the GTI for something, but that's just idle thought. Someone give me cyber legs or something.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Previa_fun posted:

You could think about getting metal legs. It's a risky operation but it would be worth it.

Nah, cool cybernetic legs or no deal.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

I'm of the mind that we need to start developing extra license requirements given the size of modern suvs and trucks. Also start treating distracted driving like a dui.

Station wagons are great and practical. Suvs are fine, but I've never had a fondness for any of the modern ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

The dealership replaced my right headlight under warranty last year, it broke again earlier this year in May? I think. I'm still waiting on a replacement with no ETA. At least it's only the DRL's that don't work.