Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I was looking to test drive a FiST soon and there is a dealer trying to sell one for 29k :laffo:

I've seen a few on autotrader under 20k if you're willing to fly somewhere and drive home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
What happened to the pricing on Fiesta ST's? I've been toying with the idea of picking one up for a DD and I'm amazed at the disparity between non-Recaro equipped cars (can be found easily around 20k) and cars that are optioned with them.

Not to mention that west coast prices are insane, 2-3k more than anywhere else in the country, which is strange because I can't even find one within 1k miles to test drive or even sit in to make sure I fit.

Now I'm starting to think I need to check out the new GTI instead, cause at least they're available.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

skipdogg posted:

I can get a Fiesta ST for invoice all day every day at my local Ford dealer.

edit: Don't be afraid to shop around and buy a car that is a ways away from you. If you can save 3K, spend a little on a plane ticket and a drive back.

I'm not opposed to it but it sure sucks not being able to test drive one first. I'm too tall to buy without trying one out. Edit: apparently I'm not looking hard enough cause I found one fairly close. Trip report tomorrow!

Where are you located?

Has anyone here used x-plan before? It's available to me through my employer

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 2, 2014

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Test drove a Fiesta ST today, I liked it pretty well and told the salesman three times that I wanted to try a focus St for comparisons sake.

I mentioned that I wasn't interested in any of the colors they had on the lot and he outright refused to let me drive a can that "I had no intention of buying."

Well nice job buddy I'm gonna let you waste a bunch of time trying to find a car I want and then tell you to gently caress right off.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

This is why I hate the dealership process so much, but it's also a good reason why to give as little info as possible to the salesperson.

I'm just amazed that he's so stupid not to realize that I can find 6 other ford dealerships in less than an hour's drive.

He also lied to me and said that dealerships couldn't order brand new '15 models. :byewhore:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Seems to be a trend, to be honest.

At this point it seems like it would be easier to have them order one for you and hope that the incentives are good when it shows up in 3 months.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

priznat posted:

VW has 0% financing for ~84 months~ on some models here (tiguan especially, they are trying to clear those out like mad before the redesigns show up), but sadly the GTI is not one of them. I think it's 3.9%, ugh.

Speaking of VW, what the gently caress did they do to their website? what a steaming pile of poo poo

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

See I'm on the opposite end. I've had this 2 door TDI for 3 years now and I'm tired of the giant doors. I'm ready to go back to the lower insurance cost of 4 doors and a normal length door. But I'm still screwed because I want the stick.

pretty sure they dont bother computing the price of insurance off the number of doors anymore--i'm sure it's far more complicated than that. For instance, state farm quoted me higher insurance rates for e90 328i than the more expensive and faster 335i.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

tijag posted:

I have never ever had a test drive without the sales person with me. I assume that it must be some sort of law in California, or maybe some insurance requirement?

Are you under 25? When they try to insist I generally tell them to gently caress off and I'll be back in 30 mins.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

Poking around on the VW site, it's kind of funny how they are advertising the 5.8" screen as a good thing. Meanwhile Europe gets the 8" screen.

There's a lot of reasons they're selling less cars here than Subaru these days. Something nobody would have ever expected 10, 15 or 20 years ago.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Extra posted:

It is not controversial to state or even have laws enforcing the right of a consumer to not be lied to by a major multinational corporation.

Before buying the ZX3 I was trolling around for SVT Contours (American version of the Mondeo).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nltSfdWORA :getin:

haha, that video reminds me of a friend who was racing up in canada and captured this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cLVuw4cHjA

go to 0:45

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
How many oil changes have you done on it?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I would hope that the manufacturers would want to ensure that this kind of practice isn't allowed, but I'm sure its one of the few ways a dealership gets to make a significant amount of money

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

This is the reason Europe has multiport injection. Shame the EPA won't let them use it here.

Little over 4000 miles on the R and it hasn't used any oil that I can tell. Still only a matter of time until my shenanigans in the snow get me in trouble. We're supposed to get 1-2 feet Sunday night. Monday is going to be a nightmare.

What? I'm pretty sure there's nothing about the US banning them. i think they're on some new cars now, to help wash out the collected crap in the manifold

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rhyno posted:

So just how terrible is the engine in the Mazda Protege 5? I seem to recall stories of reliability issues? And also bad transmissions, or was that just the autos?

It's not a bad engine, kinda gutless and not reallllly particularly good economy for how slow it was. I think my wife averaged ~25-28mpg (and sometimes as high as 30 on the highway) when we had one for ~3 years.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

Unfortunately that's what I'm guessing. And Colorado has no ability to sue for loss of value. At least if it does get fixed, the shop that is doing the work is one of the best around, and has perfectly matched the paint on my previous 2 metallic silver cars. Either I get a new car, or I will no longer fear having to have rear end in a top hat dings fixed since the car is no longer pristine anyway. I was planning on keeping this one for at least 10 years.

So if something crops up at least all the repairs are warrantied for as long as I have it. Plus the 2 parking lot incidents it had will be covered up by this repair.

Worst part right now is that I'm in a Kia Soul until the Hertz gets something better in. 38k and from Florida. The AC smells like wet dog and the tires are drat near bald.

I just googled "diminished value colorado" and got a ton of results. you should be able to recoup some extra money.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
did you find a dealership that didn't add an extra fee on top of the price?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

KidDynamite posted:

Is booking a track day in September too soon for a novice fast car and manual transmission driver? Because I really want to drive this thing fast.

You should start with a driving skills day or some autocross. If you wad that car up at a track day you will probably not be able to get insurance to pay for it (but you can buy supplemental track day insurance, but you would still end up paying a 20% deductible for any claim you make).

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
those things are so loving dull

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

Issue with the STI AWD is that it kills fuel economy compared to Haldex and other systems.

It's also the engine itself. It's old as hell.

I'm guessing the sti has terrible cD too

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
They should fit

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
So you got a lease? What's the terms/payment/mileage limit? What's the price if you choose to buy it at the end of the lease?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
How did they tell you it's 22.5k? Your payments are 14508 over 3 years and then a purchase price of 16600???

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i guess if you are comparing it to the lease deal they are selling but in no way is that a 22.5k bargian

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
well it's more that leasing is not usually going to work out in the buyer's favor of getting a good deal.

the exception to that rule is that sometimes manufacturers will offer good lease prices for high volume cars in competitive markets--that's how you'll sometimes see deals on stuff like jettas or corollas for 100/mo for 2 or 3 years.

the residual isn't worth focusing on too much--basically you need to look at the lease as you're renting a car for 2-3 years and you can buy it at the end. If that model of car has generally depreciated more and can be bought for less than the residual price it might be better to walk away and buy a different one coming off lease. if the market value is higher than the residual you can exercise the option to buy it and drive it or sell it at a profit.

sometimes convenience is a good reason to lease, sometimes you can write them off as a tax deduction.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
jesus gently caress hope you're okay

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
did you double check your tire pressures?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Just wait to mod it till the warranty is up.

I mean i know it's not a supercar but do you have enough cash to buy a replacement engine if your engine poo poo the bed?

just stick to tires, brake pads and learning to drive faster on the track.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
tire rack has a measurement chart which will indicate the width in inches mounted on a wheel of X width

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

fknlo posted:

Went to the Firestone shop by my house today. No Indy 500's in stock anywhere that they can get.

discount tire direct? they are the way to go for cheap tires, just hold out for a holiday sale

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

It's called fixing your gently caress up. I'm sorry you can't drive without smashing into poo poo constantly. Stop raising my insurance rates.

FYI I've been driving for 20+ years with 0 at faults and 0 curb rashes. Yes it's possible to not be a moron.

if they were using their insurance the cars would be fixed and you wouldn't be here to point out faults

good job grandma driver guy

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
why did you bring it up in the first place

:thunk:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Any GTI owners with a DSG? Any regrets that you didn't get a manual?

I didnt mind the DSG in my wife's former TDI sportwagen but that was a boring engine and not driven hard.

edit: goddamnit i wish they offered the adaptive cruise control as standard on gti instead of an option on SE and std on Autobahn

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 23, 2017

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
VW partner price is kinda poo poo IMO, its giving me 1620 off msrp, truecar does 1570 and i'm guessing costco isn't any better.

How much you can get off retail is really dependent on where you live and if you want the 0.9% APR you will pay a higher price to get that rate. most of the discounted prices shown online are for cash or if you take the 2.9% (or higher) non promo APR.

lol the truecar discount also takes into account if the dealer adds a hosed up markup on top, i see exactly 2570 off at a dealer in seattle

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 26, 2017

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

howling_mad posted:

I'm not sure where you're located, but many east coast dealers seem to work pricing magic on GTIs. May be worth the drive/vacation.

yeah i'm all the way across the country so i might give it a try but i hightly doubt they'll drop down that much. those east coast dealers are like 3-4k less for a sport and they have way more sales volume to make up the difference

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i'm gonna try the sport with dsg tomorrow morning and make a decision, begone bmws!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Oh man the DSG is so good think I'm gonna do it

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

fknlo posted:

Guy at work got his Type R. Initial thoughts are it definitely looks too busy.

really? imo it seems less busy than the gti

i did a white car thing yesterday

only gripe so far is that i either scuffed one of the wheels a little bit or didnt notice it was scuffed before i left the lot :argh:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
brain farted and misread as Golf R :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
hood scoops are fuckin dumb

i can see how both cars are considered 'boy racer' cars but the type r is just 100x worse than the rs, there's simply nothing good looking about the current civic body style and the R just makes it all worse