Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

Holdbrooks posted:

can I play?

old pics from before I got the new lights

Phoenix is in love with these cars. I see them everywhere (though, none look nearly as good as yours).

My new Hot Hatch.

Terribly hot these last few weeks, in fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Farking Bastage posted:

Everyone keeps telling me I need to get an accessport for this, but I am a bit put off about the warranty implications.

I loving love that car. The turbo lag is pretty significant though.

IIRC the gains on a WRX with a Cobb AP stage 1 tune are pretty significant.

As far as warranty, you can deprogram the thing if you are worried. It's not detectable and even if it was, by congressional decree the dealer has to prove that whatever you've done to the car caused the issue prior to denying warranty work.

I have a '13 STi I plan on buying an AP for, though in my case it was at the dealer's recommendation. I will still be mums about it when I take it in just in case.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I learned how to drive a stick by buying a 5-speed a day before my 66 mile round trip job started. My buddy used to teach people stick on his 91 Sentra. That thing was almost impossible to stall out.

It's so strange that you say this, as I've always felt like early 90s Nissans had incredibly forgiving clutches.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

echobucket posted:

Here's a better photo I took this morning in the sunlight.

2014 Ford Fiesta ST by jdorseydesign, on Flickr

I gotta get a better front plate than the stupid dealership advertisement.

Owns. Good choice, I bet you get asked about it quite a lot over the next few months.

omgitstheinternet posted:

Took my hot hatch up in the mountains for a drive this weekend

Also owns. It's hot, it's got a hatch. Good enough for me. Probably the best looking BMW, though for some reason I also really dig the 1-series.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug
Way too much Ford talk ITT! (Granted, I'm just jealous of how good I think the Focus ST looks)

Bringing it back around to god's favorite Hot Hatch, the STi. I did a thing that made it look and sound more appropriate.

The smudges on the nice clean bumper are from my sweaty face that I was pressing up against as I was grappling with the hangers. Thank you AZ sun.

Blame Pyrrhus fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 24, 2014

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

Dude, your face is oily. You should see a dermatologist.

It really isn't though! I got plenty wrong with my physique, but oily skin just normally isn't a problem.

A better pic:

I love the way the gaps are actually filled out. Not even the SPT exhaust does that on this car.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug
What would one hope to get from an updated MS3 that the Focus ST doesn't already accomplish? IIRC (and correct me if I'm wrong) both of the previous generations of those were C1 platform variants, so they seem to be very close to one another in terms of what market they are going after. Is the Skyactive engine got a lot of potential or something?

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

CountOfNowhere posted:

It's prettier.

Perhaps. I like the way the Focus looks though.

Though I drive the Subaru, so basically everything's prettier.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug
Holy poo poo!

I've been occasionally experiencing what can only be described as getting nowhere when I try to accelerate from a stop on the uphill offramp to my house. I thought my clutch was having engagement issues, but you all are talking about hill assist I thought "hmmm".

Google tells me that indeed my (2013) STi has it (but thankfully it can be turned off).

Christ it was kinda freaking me out. I guess it's useful for new drivers, but it should be off by default.

Blame Pyrrhus fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Aug 2, 2014

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

jfreder posted:

I'm not sure I understand how the hill assist makes it harder to get going. It holds the brakes for up to 3 seconds but as soon as you touch the throttle it deactivates.

Not sure. I'll know for certain if it's the culprit since I've turned it off. It didn't happen every time, but it was a frequent enough issue to where I'll know after a few days.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug
My last dealer experience wasn't for a hatch (I drive a 5-door STi, wife was in love with a GenCoupe), but I was a pretty good time.

Basically my wife wanted a fully loaded 3.8 GenCoupe "Track Edition". The dealer was asking around 37k for it, you could build it on their website for a smidge over 34k.

The sales guy wasn't too douchey, but dutifully pushed us. Included the whole "let me talk to the sales manager" every time I made a proposal.

I was totally nice to the dude. He was actually very likable and just doing his job. His manager was a sleaze bag type though. We got serious on our 3rd visit in 3 days, and the sales guy's weekend was coming up so he was really wanting to make the sale.

We told him our budget was 30k, and after some haggling he came back at 30.5. Fine, we started to move forward on paperwork and I got to a part about qualifying for 2k rebate.

I pushed him on this and he claimed that "well we already applied the rebate to get you to 30.5!"

To which I replied "so that means we are getting the car for 32.5? No thanks." And we walked out.

I got all cocky and told my wife "watch this" and I pulled out in an odd way that ensured I traversed the front of the dealership building as we left.

Sure enough the sales guy came out, and I ended up paying 28.5 on a car they we originally asking 37 for.

I also got 1.9% interest. Wife and I both have credit well into the 800s, so when they were talking about 2.9 points I told them "I don't know what other people get, but our interest rates begin with a 1". After a lot of hemming and hawing they came down.

Sales dude was pretty impressed with how far we got his manager to bend. He seemed to actually enjoy it.

I'm not saying we got the absolute best deal, but it was nice to be able to push back. It taught me to never hesitate on making a deal even if my offer seems absurd to the dealer. Also, never hesitate to walk out.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Bovril Delight posted:

I guess it will be too much to ask for a 2 door if we do get it.

I hope so too.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug
Official Focus RS reveal

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2015/02/03/all-new-ford-focus-rs.html

Ford seems committed to making me a huge fan of their line-up.

Blame Pyrrhus fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Feb 3, 2015

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2N6kZW8SDc

10 minute look at the new RS.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug
I replaced the airbox in my BRZ, and the sound tube was removed as a result. As much as I like engine noise, it just produced an anemic, muffled, raspy engine sound. Just hearing the engine from the bay, and the after-market exhaust is so much nicer.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

veedubfreak posted:

Unfortunately I only really have room for 1 car, and I do a lot of hauling computer parts for work so giving up the hatch isn't really an option for me.

Also something tells me that you are a fan of Volkswagons, can't quite place my finger on it...

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Ehud posted:

I'm gonna have graphics, just not a gigantic roof scorpion.

Maybe like this:

Are those stock wheels? They look great.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

PaintVagrant posted:

Another question while I am asking:

I am thinking about buying a 2015 Focus ST (with all the year-end deals). The one I want is red, and has factory black stripes, which are awful. Otherwise its exactly what I want, the base package without recaros, with alloys and summer tires.

I assume the dealer can remove the stripes, but should I be worried about paint mismatching? I looked up the build date, February 2015. So it could have been siting out in the sun for almost 10 months now...

Often these stripes are just vinyl, if the underlying paint is new then it shouldn't take much to remove and it should look perfectly fine.

Not 100% sure on the focus, but I almost pulled the trigger on a stingray with stripes that I would have removed and it ended up being a non-issue had I bought it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

DirtyFalcon posted:

So I did a thing.

You got the correct color.