Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

How the gently caress long has there been a hot hatch thread? I've been posting in the VW/Audi thread like a sucker.

2016 mk7 Golf R. Paperwork says 292hp.

Just made a year of payments. I love driving it.

Upgrades so far are better paddle shifters, european arm-rest, software stuff, and next is gonna be a set of PS4S tires

Deviant fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Those sensors all work, it's the park assist stuff.

The rhombus things are doors for the headlight sprayers.

We're not a front plate state so I guess that's why I got away without that. The white really grew on me with the minimal badging on the R.

That housing for the square front sensor keeps popping partially loose though

MunchE posted:

Golf R, the gentleman's hot hatch

Y'know as a kid my father drove a rabbit hatch, and even then looking at it I said "This is what an adult who wants a fun car drives."

Deviant fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Feb 8, 2020

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Rusty posted:

That makes sense, I don't have the parking assist or headlight sprayers. Didn't realize the R got all that stuff back in 2016, neat.

It's got a fair number of bells and whistles. Especially since I traded up from a 2010 Mazda 3. So far the 4Motion AWD is the biggest adjustment.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Would my Mk7 R run better on 93 than 91? Gas station has both and I usually get 93 bc i wasn't sure. Gas cap says 91, though.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Korbin posted:

I'm the second owner so who knows what the first guy did. Had the car since 30xxx miles so $100 for a new engine doesn't seem so bad. I'm also not sure if the car is cursed though. It's had door latches fail while driving, an inch of water in the spare tire well, had to replace the whole infotainment system, clutch master cylinder failure, and fuel pressure sensor die.

Was the previous owner a guy named Theseus?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Fellatio del Toro posted:

probably my favorite thing about my Veloster N is the valved exhaust

i turned off the soundaktor on my golf r and coded the exhaust flaps open so it's quiet on the inside and loud on the outside.

childish? yes
fun? very yes.

it's still a deep throaty jetta sound rather than a higher pitched focus sound though, doesn't attract too much attention

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

the automatic golf r is faster :colbert:

looks nice too.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

reminds me i need to actually try out launch control on my mk7 R. :toot:

Deviant fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 26, 2020

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

so what are you getting with the insurance money?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

does my stupid tuned alltrack count as a hot hatch

it's a state of mind

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I forgot to post, but I put Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on my mk7 golf R and had the alignment done

and it drives like a very different car. :D

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Enos Cabell posted:

I'm trying to put off replacing the factory all-seasons until next spring/summer but posts like this aren't helping.

I only got it done because I put a hole in one of my dealer tires. I did not relish paying $1280 for 4 corners. But that much go needs that much turn and that much stop.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

yeah, i'd be on the phone to [MFGR] care line about that poo poo, if only to release some impotent rage.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

SEGA rear end Fisting posted:

Welp, it's not warranty-able according to my local Ford dealer/shop. Got an estimate from an auto restorer for $500. But also I forgot to cover the spot before it started pouring rain today, so now I'm hoping the exposed metal doesn't start rusting before I can get it sanded and sprayed.

Call Ford's customer line and raise some Cain. They'll cave, if they're anything like VW.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

traded a mazda 3 hatch for a mk7 R

would absolutely do it again

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

The MX5 has a much better shifter than, say, the Mazda3. People were talking about it ITT like a week ago when I first brought up my car situation.

Also- I think I’m probably gonna end up in a black 2017 SE tbqh, because another has appeared with way fewer miles for way less money than the other two I’m looking at.

Worst case scenario I found a supplier of OEM Clark Plaid fabric. I can ask my mom to make me some decorative lumbar pillows, so that I can be like a more demure version of one of those VW guys

hello yes i would like to pay your mother for a pair of VW plaid pillows

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

if y’all are serious that could probably be arranged. The fabric isn’t cheap (~$80 a linear yard) but my mom’s a wicked good (hobbyist) seamstress

I would have to hear a quote. I like the idea, but I'm not made of money for much more novelty stuff right now. Thanks, RTX 3090.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

stop talking about teslas

or the weird tesla defenders will log on

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

It’s a fine car.

which part do you like? the overly aggressive regenerative braking? the lack of a single button or knob anywhere in the passenger compartment? because i just loving love taking my eyes off the road to evaluate an ipad pro to do basic poo poo.

or maybe it's the body panels that are held together with electrical tape and adhesive foam and STILL somehow manage to not line up right? but it's okay, they'll fall off when rain dissolves the glue and you can reset them.

teslas are shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

their fans are shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

and the worst part is that libertarian space dad has convinced a small subset of the internet that he's changing the world, when really what they're doing is defending electric lexuses made by an rear end in a top hat

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

you won't convince me they're not all garbage

and one look at twitter is to know that yeah, tesla fanboys are loving weirdoes.

gently caress tesla.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 29, 2021

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i see the elon defender has logged in

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

hot hatch is a state of mind

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

blk posted:

CVT only lifted WRX Outback sedan, got it.

i was irrationally angry before i checked the unread posts in this thread

and now i know why

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i let the fine engineering of the volkswagen DSG transmission do the work

unless i need to pass someone on the highway.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

mazel tov!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Styles Bitchley posted:

I was interested in the Veloster N DCT until I realized the 3rd door is on the passenger side, and saw the interior. They are pretty cool though and I like the way they look. I don't get why the Veloster gets a fast dual clutch but a G70 with the Stinger 3.3T engine has a lovely slow transmission.

This, absolutely. If I replace my GTI with a new one a variable exhaust will be one of the first upgrades.

meanwhile i have the flaps on my R coded hard-open and the soundaktor coded hard-mute so i can be quiet on the inside and loud on the outside

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

latinotwink1997 posted:

I hate the US obsession with big, obnoxious, wasteful vehicles.

Hey! I have a small, obnoxious, wasteful vehicle thank you very much

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

My mk7 r calls for 91 but most stations only have 89/93 :/

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

dealers keep cold-call offering me over-value for my mk7 golf R

"ok sure but what do you have on the lot?"

"uhhhh"

"well i'm not trading you a golf R and driving away in something LESS fun, so talk to me when you have something."

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Mk7 R
:smug:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Wroughtirony posted:

God loving damnit. I tempted fate. The universe saw me planning fun mods and sent a loving rock into my windshield on the highway last night. I thought I got off with just a chip, but I woke up to a huge crack.

doesnt your insurance cover this

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Let's talk diagnosis! I have a few ideas here but I want to spot check before I start throwing parts at the problem.

Car: 2016 VW Mk7 Golf R
Symptoms: CEL, engine code P2188, "System too Rich off idle Bank 1". Often doesn't like to start, makes cranking noise for several seconds before finally catching. Will get a video if I can but it's intermittent. Start issue has been present for a while, but haven't been able to diagnose easily without lights/codes.

Theory: Plugs? Air Filter? If I'm running rich I have to be deficient in air or fire. High Pressure Fuel Pump? Easy replacement, but not a cheap part.

Things tried: Scanned codes, cleared codes, CEL came back. WIll check air filter when I go back outside. Waiting on correct tools to check plugs.

Thoughts?

Edit: air filter is fine, easy check.

Edit edit: This shouldn't present an unsafe or too non-ideal driving situation, right? My partner's car is also in the shop so i'm stuck until i get some headway on this.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 19, 2024

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

air flow sensor?

Interesting idea. I cleared all the codes and I'm gonna pull them again to see which ones have re-occured.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

pull the sensor and see if any codes pop that anre new
if not thats your boy.

:hmmyes: Good call. Easy pop, too. If i'm googling right.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

had an issue with CEL on the fist when i swapped intakes. i didnt torque it down hard enough. may not be your issue but its an easy check.

I've not done any work of that nature, but your point is taken and I'll give it a look.

Edit: Cleared the codes once more trying to do the above diagnose on the airflow, and of course it fires right up and the CEL is gone. all i did was the airflow plug so you may have the right of it. Will keep at it if it comes back, but for now i guess i'll take it for a proper test drive.

I swear this car only acts up when no one is around to see it

Deviant fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 19, 2024

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Bah, CEL is back AND I found body damage I didn't know about.

One thing at a time I guess.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

It's...whatever. I'll clean the MAP tomorrow and escalate from there. and the body damage isn't awful it looks like I got scraped in a parking lot.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 20, 2024

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

For 11 grand I'd down payment a new one just like it.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

That's an odd one, unfortunately I don't have any insight. I discovered that my MAP is filthy and cleaned it with a can of $12 cleaner that i suspect was just aerosol isopropyl alcohol, and we will see if the problem comes back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

I've been thinking about getting a MK8 Golf R and these posts are making me nervous.

my mk7 has been great for 30,000 miles. i have posted a lot about this problem but i have only been diagnosing it for half a day. and the body issue is of course just some dickhead in a parking lot. I suspect it'll clean up.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 20, 2024