Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Octopus Magic posted:

No Mitsubishi Cyborg ZR love here?

Mitusbishi's answer to the Civic Type R with a 172hp 1.6L engine.

Never came to the states, and it's a shame. Very attractive hatch IMHO.

Hahaha awesome, now I have to research what I could do to my piece of poo poo base model Mitsubishi Mirage to get it like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

omgitstheinternet posted:

Took my hot hatch up in the mountains for a drive this weekend

Nice car and all but you seem a little confused on the term "hot hatch". Your car would fall more into a coupe definition than it would as a hatchback.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

No, it's not.

There's more to a hatchback than just being able to raise the rear and put things in, it's also got a lot to do with the shape of the car. Look at the Focus, Fiesta, GTI (both VW and Peugeot), Renault 5 turbo, Lancia Delta, Mini, etc... Notice the similar body shape, the upright styling, the lack of slope on the rear window. These are all things common to hot hatches. BMW make hatches too, the 1 series is a great example, however the Z4 is not a hot hatch, it's been designed from the ground up as a 2 person sports car not a nimble, light, practical grocery getter that's been warmed over for the performance market.

Vvvv.

Fastback, hmm maybe, I'd still stick to coupe. The z4 is based off the cabriolet with a hard top added. Fastback I'd consider to be more of a sedan with a sloped back, so maybe an Audi A5 four door or the A7, or even the abomination that is the X6.

I'd actually almost consider the original z3 clownshoe to be a hatchback, just the z4 has morphed into a Cayman contender so it's now a Coupe.

Aargh fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 5, 2013

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

The BMW 1 series? Did you guys get the hatch?

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

PabloBOOM posted:

I think most of the DSG's advantage 0-60 is down to the launch control and the so-satisfying dual clutch gear changes. Definitely try one if you never have and aren't a stick shift die hard. Nothing can really top a good manual, but I also seriously love the DSG for my DD purposes. It does have some quirks without the typical torque converter, and it downshifting to a stop takes some getting used to.

As someone who drives a lot for work in city traffic the DSG is a godsend. I briefly considered manual but really for 90% of the driving I do I really couldn't justify it.

I've had a bit of the low speed shudders people talk about but it's no real worry, and never had a problem downshifting to a stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

Any GTI owners with a DSG? Any regrets that you didn't get a manual?

I didnt mind the DSG in my wife's former TDI sportwagen but that was a boring engine and not driven hard.

edit: goddamnit i wish they offered the adaptive cruise control as standard on gti instead of an option on SE and std on Autobahn

After 10000k's in my Skoda I'm still pretty happy with the DSG. I use my car for work so its only occasionally I wish I had a manual I reckon it'd be about 500km total so far.