Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

My MS3 dogbone mount introduced quite a lot of vibrations. I’m pretty sure the breaking in period is a total myth too, because that was the line back then. I think you just get more accustomed to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

MunchE posted:

I saw some rumblings of this, but also by and large the ST communities have been full of loving morons so I took it with a grain of salt. Been running the Cobb stage 1 tune on my Focus ST for 3-4 years and ~40,000 miles with no issues.

This has been my general perception of the Speed3 and GTI forums as well.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

I had no problem with the original JB since it was just a few plugs, but it seems the JB4 uses some vampire tap bullshit that I'm not a fan of.

Yeah this is why I went JB1. Lot easier to pop off for emissions testing stuff if they actually inspect the engine bay.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Do it. I had whatever stock tires on my mk7 GTI and put on PSS and it’s like you’re driving on rails.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Rusty posted:

VAQ is standard on all trims from 2019 on, maybe from 2018, I am not sure, but definitely 2019 +.

I have the diff on my 2017 SE with performance pack. I think that was the key.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Have you owned this since new? It looks like a poor quality respray to me.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

My personal anecdote is my 2017 GTI has needed nothing but fluids.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The DSG is very good and (slightly) faster.

However, I don’t care about eeking out a slight performance difference since I don’t live on the track. Rowing my own makes me happy and having driven an auto with flappy paddles for a year I realized I hated it, no matter how good it was.

The GTI shifter is fine. I had an NC Miata and it was great. Is the GTI’s as good? No, but it’s not bad, either.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

What brand is the exhaust?

Personally the aftermarket spoiler and exhaust would lend me to think the car has been owned by the type of person to drive it hard, but if it’s a quality spoiler installed well and the exhaust is a reputable brand, perhaps it’s a thoughtful owner. If it’s some eBay special then I’m out.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

loving lol, are Democrats running that company? Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Honda

Democrats

:thunk:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Nomyth posted:

I'm also big hot for the 2.5T and this is making it easier to not think about other more powerful cars in the class, but:

vw pls bring this across the pond, thanks and amen :pray:

Unless the Polo becomes an SUV there’s no chance it comes to the US

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Nomyth posted:

the fake-for-insurance rear seats

This is an urban legend and doesn’t actually have any impact on rates

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Dr. Lunchables posted:

The two vs four door thing is real though, right?

Really it’s all a wash for this thread. Everybody’s talking about hatchback econoboxes, so insurance should be on the absolute floor.

It is not, at least not for that specific reason. If a 2 door variant of a car had more accidents (frequency) and/or causing more damage (severity) then the rates may be higher.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

do you guys not think that massive teams of insurance company actuaries have access to a tremendous amount of data and spend huge amounts of time optimizing loss models?

no probably they look on a little piece of paper where they've written "2 doors is cost more than 4"

Red go fast more money cost

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

It would be under your collision coverage for sure, if you have it. You’d owe the deductible. If you have Uninsured Motorist Property Damage then depending on the state it may apply instead, again with the deductible. Some states require the uninsured party to be known, some carriers require a police report, etc.

If it’s just truly buffing then it’s probably not worthwhile to pursue the claim, but very often what most folks consider minor damage winds up being several hundreds to thousands.

Can your fingernail catch on any of the scrapes? If so, it’s well into or past the clearcoat and probably won’t completely buff out.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

My recirc motor died in my mk7 and it’s $200 for a plastic part!!! VW!!!!!!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

prom candy posted:

See if you can find one used because I took a fuckin bath on the one I sold

Roof racks always seem to be available second hand

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Bajaha posted:

The outback roof rack system is pretty slick for functionality

The bars either fold into the roof rails and can be deployed when you want to use them. Avoids the wind noise and mpg penalty and you don't have to worry about storing them anywhere.

Haven't seen on other models, but kinda hoping it becomes more widespread as it's a good compromise. The weight rating is a little low at 165lb, but that should be enough for most use cases.

My Pacifica rental had basically the same thing.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

wolrah posted:

A reminder as well that there is no such thing as "voiding the warranty".

*Relevant* modifications can be grounds for denial of a warranty claim, if it's actually plausible that the modification caused the problem you can probably assume the mods will be considered "guilty until proven innocent", but the warranty remains in force as defined for anything unaffected by the modification.

If you break the motor, transmission, etc. then sure, they're probably going to look for evidence of power adders unless there is a well known problem affecting unmodified vehicles, but if you take your car in to get the air conditioning serviced you could leave the AccessPort attached to your pillar and it's not going to matter.

I agree for most of this post, but there are certain things that can result in nothing being covered under a warranty. An example would be if your car is totaled and later repaired, the factory warranty won’t be honored in any aspect.

Here’s the VW language for reference:

The stolen piece is interesting, if it’s stolen and recovered, they could in theory make the claim that the warranty is void.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

This guy gassed up the car one time in 2023? What car did he get as a replacement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Enos Cabell posted:

I only recently passed the 15k mark on my Mk7.5 GTI I bought in 2020. Got several big road trips lined up later this year at least.

I have around 32k on my 2017, and 15k of that was in the first year. It’ll probably turn into rust before I put 100k on it