Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Current fleet of hatches at home:

Rowdy clown car. Small mods, mostly stock, makes hilarious noises and drives way better than it should considering it’s an FCA product. Traded my ‘19 Civic Si at a dealer for this and a wheelbarrow full of cash.

Eyeliner-wearing clown car. Tons of basic mods (intake, exhaust, pulley, injectors, full suspension, upgraded brakes etc.) done at a local MINI tuning shop. Bought for a reasonable price and incredibly mechanically solid. Was just at dealer for PS recall from 2015 and the only thing they found was a broken side marker bulb socket. Will be my winter beater.

The biggest of the bunch, also fairly heavily modified (intake, header/HFC/exhaust, full suspension/sway bars, brakes, etc.) and lives in the garage 99% of the time because I have too many other cars. I never drive it in winter for fear of Honda rust.

Yes I have AADD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’m jealous, how many cars you got?

Six total, because I just thinned the herd. Other than the three above, I have an ‘01 S2000, a ‘94 Del Sol, and a ‘20 Silverado.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

It's worth it for the tractor exhaust noises alone.

Stock exhaust:

http://i.imgur.com/j0rUL1H.mp4

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

It’s my Axis Machine

Protection from who, Tommy? Ze Germanz?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Oddhair posted:

Thought the building was a crazy wing in the thumbnail.

That’s my deck, but don’t give me ideas.

Edit: shameful page snipe. Have a pic of the Abarth at the drag strip

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 5, 2021

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

1900 miles in 4 days in the EP3. 690 miles each way to North Carolina, and two days of driving on the Dragon and adjacent excellent roads. A+ will return in a hot hatch again.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Boy, that’s a sleek little monster. What you running under the hood?

The motor is a stock K20. Some bolt-ons - intake, header, high flow cat, exhaust. Mostly it’s the suspension and brakes that makes it more fun: Bilstein/Koni shocks, Eibach springs, Eibach sway bars, camber arms, and some SS steel lines with upgraded pads and rotors.

Wheels are Sparco FF1 with 205/55/15 Dunlop Direzza tires.

Slow car fun.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

What are everyone’s thoughts on this car:

$10k - I talked to the owner and he said it was a deer impact that totaled it out. He sent me pics of it as well and it didn’t look like the insurance co should have totaled it to me. All front end damage; hood, bumper, fenders, radiator etc.

It’s about 2 hours away or I’d have gone to check it out already. It looks pretty good and the mods seem decent. I’m always hesitant on branded titles but it’s thousands cheaper than any other FiST I’ve seen.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Winter mode activated

The summer setup. 205/45/17 Ventus V12 mounted on 17x8 Konig Feather wheels.

Swapped to 195/55/16 Sumitomo IceEdge on 16x7 Borbet LV4 wheels that have been in my garage collecting dust for a couple of years. I did a bunch of research on hub bore sizes and ordered new hub rings and STILL had to sand the inner diameter of the rings to get them to clear my hubs.

The car feels faster in a straight line now, probably due to the weight difference and narrower contact patch. I think the 205 width summer tires are borderline stretched on the 8” wheels.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Well poo poo. I just got an offer to buy an 08 R32 from a friend’s mom. Number 4333/5000. One owner, 30k miles, $18k.

I am not a fan of autos but I like VR6’s and low mileage niche cars. I’ve bought a car from the family before and it’s one of the only cars I ever regret selling - they take phenomenal care of their cars.

The price seems in line with or even a little low compared to the retail market on the R32, if you can even find one in this condition/mileage. I just have to find storage space or cull the fleet yet again. I suppose I could sell the Abarth?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I technically have the room to keep them all, but the Abarth would go to living outside instead of taking up one garage space. I guess I could buy it and see how I feel about selling something later, maybe in spring?

Anyone want to buy a low mileage Abarth?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Sadly I think I’m gonna pass on the R32. I can’t really see driving it enough to justify the outlay of cash, especially since that model was DSG only, no manual option. It’s super clean but I can’t bring myself to like an auto trans in that kind of car.

We are going to look at another R53 Mini this afternoon though. My son wants to build one up for himself since he likes mine so much, and they’re so cheap and tiny.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 19, 2021

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

RIP Paul Walker posted:

The DSG might be a benefit if you've never owned one or gotten to drive one a lot. Especially if you've got plenty of other manual cars... It's a great transmission.

I'd certainly rather work on a VW than a BMW Mini, which is saying something.

We decided to buy the Mini. $2600 and it just needs rear brakes and a couple of tires. We’ve had them before (actually have another one now) and they’re really easy to work on. Pictures incoming once it’s cleaned etc.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Previa_fun posted:

Where'd you find a 2600 dollar Mini, because if all it truly needs is brakes and tires I'd jump on one in a second. Everything I've seen around here is 5000+ for examples with a ton of miles on them.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Yeah, Jesus. You sure somebody didn’t die in that mini?

Got lucky. Kid is moving to Alaska or something. Not even a speck of rust on it.

The front tires aren’t in dire condition but they’re the wrong size. 205/55/16 instead of 205/50/16 and I’d like to change them back down. I ordered front and rear pad and rotor sets tonight for $185 shipped, which is a pretty nice win.

The entire rear interior is disassembled but all came with the car. The only thing it’s actually missing is the headliner but meh. They all suck anyway.

New parts including clutch, motor mounts, ignition coil, plugs, new battery, etc. Alta 15% pulley, some sort of exhaust. It’s “softer” than our other R53 due to not having all poly bushings and stuff suspension, but it still feels very solid and fun.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 20, 2021

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I don’t know why you’d ever need a bigger car than a small hatch.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 27, 2021

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Ok Comboomer posted:

yeah, they do get p tippy

That’s why I put extra weight in. For ballast.

Actually those wheels are going on one of the Minis. Not sure which one yet. FB marketplace score, $500 for 4 Konig Dial-In 15x8 with new 205/55/15 Yokohama S.Drives. Just a set of hub rings away from usability.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 27, 2021

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I also managed to fit a driveway basketball hoop box in my R53 Mini.

And like 17 years ago I put a home gym in the back of my MKIV GTI

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Winter is coming!

(I put winter wheels/tires on the remaining R53)

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

The VW dealer in Lebanon PA has a 6-speed Pomelo Yellow ‘22 GTI but I’ll be drat if I feel like paying $40k for a Golf.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Ok Comboomer posted:

Buy a ‘19 and get it painted. Way better looking front end and interior anyway

I’ll be damned if I want to pay $35k for a used Golf and $5k to get it painted.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Hatch?

At least it’s turbo and has straight pipes.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

japtor posted:

Whenever I see the giant name on the side I just imagine Principal Chalmers yelling "that's how people know it's an Integra!"

GTIs are longer and wider :shrug:

And heavier apparently. This thing squeaks in under 3k lb since it’s not the All4

I was pleasantly surprised at how not-massive this car is when I went to test drive it. It’s much more useful that the first gen new Coopers, and the ten years of development make for a way better interior and ride quality.

Here it is next to the R53 we traded.

Qmass posted:

coopers are early 000s fashion carified.

sickening

Yeah I 100% agree it’s goofy looking.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Ok Comboomer posted:

From what I understand wrt Mini Coopers, there’s a ton of 00’s-era cars out there that are fun and quirky, but you have to settle for the Tritec or Prince motors, both of which appear to be considered—not worse, but certainly a lot less capable than the modern BMW stuff. Also the Tritec is half Chrysler and the Prince is half Peugeot, which like eww on both counts.

But those cars are relatively plentiful and relatively cheap, barring market bubble times.

And if you want the best ICE Mini experience possible as an enthusiast, then you’re basically obligated to shell out for a 3rd generation model with the B48, and that Gen 3 is a radically better car.

Am I correct in that assessment?

I haven’t dug into all this stuff massively in depth or anything, but to my eyes the second iteration is a marked improvement over the first ones, which was all I’d owned before as far as Minis go (R53 x3). This car has the Prince N18, which does seem to be decent in terms of performance. It feels at least as fast as the R53 which had a smaller supercharger pulley, exhaust, and intake.

I didn’t really want to spend Gen 3 money since I wanted to keep my Fit in the stable as well, and honestly I was impressed with the Countryman, especially for the price. I thought it was going to be very “meh”, but it is a genuinely nice and fun car for my long drives, and the interior is worlds more comfortable and usable than the R53. It’s just way more silly looking.

If I’d been ok with getting rid of the Fit I might not have gone with another Mini at all, but at least for now I’m glad I did.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 18, 2022

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Ok Comboomer posted:

Seems like people appreciate the more linear power delivery and relative durability of the supercharged R53, but yeah seems like the consensus on the Prince cars is “much more power and torque than before, arguably more reliable and easier to maintain, all of the problems are your bog standard ‘turbocharged DI engine problems’ which is to say carbon buildup, turbo failure, and fuel pump failure. If you’re buying one in 2022 chances are a lot of that stuff got taken care of by a previous owner”.

And then the B48 is basically the same turbo 4-cyl that BMW rolled out across their lineup ~10 years ago.

I also enjoy the straight pipe turbo cackle, and better fuel economy

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

japtor posted:

Don't know the 1st gen much other than auto trans issues, although I'm sure there's more. 2nd gen I'm decently familiar with, particularly with the early models like my 08. Came out with the 07s and I think tweaked for the 11 refresh or so, and maybe a few other times as they kept trying to fix things. 3rd gen is pretty solid from most accounts, I vaguely recall something...maybe the engine mounts, but could be totally off there (and might be Countryman specific since that's what I was looking into).

But Prince stuff off the top of my head: timing chain potentially blowing up engines, valve cover (or whatever various gasket) leaks, turbo line leak, coolant thermostat/housing leak, fuel pump failure...and new one that I just got recently :suicide:, oil filter (housing?) leak. I've had a few of those happen a few times, luckily got the timing chain fixed before it destroyed the engine.

There's cheapish replacement turbo lines that supposedly fix that problem, coolant thermostat housings appear cheap enough, and the various gaskets and such. It's mainly* the labor that'll get you cause from what I can tell it seems like a bitch to get at anything. So might be ok for a DIYer, but a potential money pit for an idiot like myself. Didn't seem too complex for the ones I looked at, mostly just annoying and time consuming with all the stuff you need to get out of the way first to access anything. I might be able to do the stuff...but also might just end up stuck with a bunch of random car parts on the floor and an inoperable car.

*...well the fuel pump was expensive as poo poo and took a while to come in a few years ago...I wouldn't want to look at that with the current state of things.

Early second gen didn't get the cackle :(. I think it was added back for the refresh. I forget if 3rd gen might've recently lost it for 22s.

Mine is a ‘12 so it has it, thank goodness.

The other hatch is now lukewarm

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

TheBacon posted:

Lmao at $112k being house money, down payment on one maybe

Cries in Bay Area/Seattle

Another benefit of living in bumfuck PA. That’s like 2/3 of my house.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

TheBacon posted:

Are you RCR? He seems like he could he a goon

No but I’ve met him and he drove my old FXT if that’s anything in the way of a consolation prize.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Most useful cargo areas of any car I’ve ever owned have been my Fits. Huge flat floor when you fold the seats down, and the “magic seats” when you fold them up leave a ton of space for tall stuff behind the front seats.

My EP3 has a nice useful cargo area as well, but the Fit is just that little bit more clever.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

BlackMK4 posted:

Noise reduction, they aren't the only ones

My wife’s giant Silverado is the same way. Holds like seven pounds of mud in each one, but it’s better than the alternative which is no liners at all.

Yeah, the whee well liners are optional on the Silverado…

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Warm Hatch Summer is almost here!

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Ok Comboomer posted:

put a wrap or some decals on that sucker

and some mud flaps

and some rally lights

I want to wrap it a stupid color but the local place WILL NOT get back to me with a quote

It does have one decal.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 8, 2022

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Oh gently caress I had one of these for a rental this weekend and what a goddamn atrocious hunk of worthless horse poo poo junk.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Ok Comboomer posted:

iTs An EcLiPsE

-Mitsubishi

:smithicide:

Oh ok I guess I actually had an Outlander.

Irredeemable trash.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Lukewarm hatch update - new properly fitting wheels on the Fit.

In two weeks both the Fit and the EP3 will be getting tinted. So. Much. Glass.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

FiST? More like FitS

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

FitS? More like Si!

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Digging that plate

Thanks that one has been passed between cars for a looong time. I also have:

S2000 with plate 2 SOON
Del Sol with plate NO VTEC
FIt with plate Z GERMNZ

I want to get a plate that says 2 LATE for the Fit and swap Z GERMNZ onto my Mini Countryman S.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Fifty Three posted:

I, uh. Might be first on the list for a GR Corolla at the last dealer I called? :stare:

Always Be Calling Your Shithole Hometown Dealer.

They probably won't get any

I’ve got a friend who sells at a local Toyota dealer and I told him to put a post-it note with my name on the manager’s computer for a GR. He said they’ll probably sell them at list price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

wolrah posted:

PS4S FiST update after three weeks. It rubs coming out of steep driveways, but I haven't heard anything during normal driving even when hitting some pretty good bumps at speed. Still impressed by the grip, I haven't yet found the limits and I've driven them about as hard as I'm comfortable doing on a public road. I think I'm going to need to finally drag my rear end out of bed early enough to go to an autocross to really find the edge.

What do you mean by an adapter for getting rid of carbon buildup?

https://www.usvetdesigns.com/product-page/ford-ecoboost-2-0l-intake-valve-carbon-cleaner-walnut-blasting-adapter

Something like this where you can use a shop vac or similar to blast the intake valves to clean them because of the DI