Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Just picked up a Black / Charcoal Grey ST3, this thing is a blast :toot: For biggest/cheapest gains, would it be a Cobb AP and Downpipe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

Laranzu posted:

You need the AP to do anything really. That alone gives some good tuning gains. The downpipe and intercooler are the other bottlenecks.

Get your rear motor mount done under the TSB and warranty. It really firms up everything and gets rid of the 1-2 shift bang. parts are fairly back ordered so get on the list at your dealer.

Thanks I'll check out the TSB. I asked the dealer if the TSB's were up to date and the sales guy said yes, I don't think he actually knew though.

Sepist fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 28, 2013

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
If you own an ST, make sure you tell whoever services your car that you need to pull the metal ring up on the shifter to get into reverse, the guys I just used to get my windows tinted completely destroyed my reverse lock out clip.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Decided to black out the car, just finished plastidipping the wheels. Very easy to do, knocked out all 4 on the car in under 2 hours. Gotta get tints on the brake lights and I'll be all done

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
They even turned off my auto-headlights thinking that would let them put it in reverse :v: Honestly they should've just called, between snapping the lockout and them lying to me about it, it sucked. I hope they appreciate the bad reviews on yelp/google places I leave.

I installed the v105 91 cobb ECU map yesterday with the AP, holy loving toledo is that a noticeable difference - I don't think I'll need the downpipe at this point.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
My test drive went something like this

Dealer: "Are you okay with driving this thing out of the parking lot, this is a high traffic area"
:smug: : "I used to have a 600hp camaro, I can handle this"
*Let clutch out, not expect such little clutch play, stall immediatly*
Dealer: "Yea I'm gonna bring it onto the street for you"

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

Sir Tonk posted:

Did they not reimburse you? Was this at a chain, or just a local single location shop?

Single location shop. No the owner was the one I spoke to and he blew it off and wouldn't take responsibility

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

Phone posted:

Pay by American Express, do a chargeback on it: The Solution to Terrible Retailers.

I normally do put everything on it for that reason but this place didn't take credit. FWIW they had great reviews compared to all the other local shops and the tint itself is fantastic, they're just retarded scumbags at the root of it. If it weren't for the ford's warranty covering it, I would've made a stink.

Powershift posted:

I live in alberta, anybody willing to work hard can make 100k a year, dealerships will toss you the keys to anything you ask for.

My dealer knew I make 6 figures and I had already put the deposit down, he still rode shotgun :smith: He did let me beat up on it on the drive back though.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

Ringo Star Get posted:

Realized a few days ago in the ST when you have your front wipers on and you put the car in reverse, the rear wipers go on. Blew my mind at the things they think of.

Another cool feature is ford apparently picked at random which ST's have vanity lighting and a telescoping sun shade. My fully loaded ST3 has neither but some peoples ST1/2/3 have both or just one of those features. Some with vanity lighting have 1 or 2 lights :v:

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Re: recaros - I'm 6'1 205 pounds and just took the st3 on a 1400 mile trip, the seats were super comfy. Their comfort seriously varies from person to person. I averaged 28.4 mpg with the Cobb 91 tune and spirited driving the entire time.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

Bob A Feet posted:

The Fiesta ST is the perfect blend between cute and aggressive. I'd buy one if I didn't have an ST.

I found out last night that ford racing has matte and gloss black versions of the stock wheel on the Focus. I love the design, hate the color of the wheels (shows too much dirt). They are ~$220 too. I was going to get mine powdercoated but I'd rather have the originals for when I move somewhere else for a second set of tires, and the cost of powder coating would probably be around the cost of a second set of wheels I figured.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=22774

Just plastidip them, I used 2 spray cans worth of plastidip for the ST rims, 6 coats each. Super easy to do.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Ran into an annoying issue with my ST - I can't put more than 40 cents of gas in the car without it constantly clicking on me and shutting off dispensing. You can hear gas gurgling in the neck so there must be some kind of evacuation issue...or spiders

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I had this issue with one specific style of gas pump, so just in case you always go the same place or whatever I'd check on that first.

I went all over the place as I had read the ones with the expanded nozzle end could have issues, but nope, happens everywhere.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
I guess the guy who broke my reverse lock out gear on my ST did me a favor. I took it back to the ford dealership - turns out before I bought the car they had an issue with the stick, so they swapped it out with a stock focus stick, I had no idea! Ford is swapping it with the Focus ST stick and replacing the broken reverse lock out free of charge. Still not sure if I should complain to FoMoCo directly for the dealership modifying a brand new car before I purchased it and not telling me.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
I wish I had a place to store the summer tires :( We have been driving the jeep as much as possible but today's snow wasn't supposed to be here until later, so now I have to drive home on the F1's in 6 inches of snow.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

veedubfreak posted:

You gonna die.

5 miles home, didn't die! gently caress these tires in the snow though, gotta figure out where I can store these rims

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
I have the Cobb in my focus ST and there is a noticeable difference in performance.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
I drove from NY to Outerbanks and back with a 93 octane tuned Focus ST and still managed 30mpg for the trip. Day to day I average 22 but I am a bit spritied.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Yea. Do you know if the eco leaf thing resets everytime you start the car? The accessport is worth the money if you enjoy watching the boost gauge max out every now and then.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
I have an unpopular opinion about people who drop 30k on a new car but don't want to spend a few extra dollars on the right kind of gas for it..

I took my eyes off the road for a few moments in this horrible NY landscape and slammed into pot hole at about 80mph, bent the rim and flatted the tire. Looks like it may be salvageable though.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
I am having problems with my ST that I know the dealer is not going to be able to reproduce, I'm kinda hoping these periodic problems turn into a huge issue so they can find it.

A few days ago I couldn't get the car into reverse. The lockout ring was fine, I could swing the shifter to the reverse side but I couldn't push up into reverse gear. I rolled the car out of the parking spot, then drove a few blocks. At each stop I tried to get it into reverse and it refused to go into reverse until about the 5th stop sign, then it was okay. Haven't been able to reproduce that one but occasionally I'm not able to put the car into first gear unless I first drop it into second. Another issue is it feels like the clutch is fighting to go into most gears, especially third gear. It feels clunky as hell and that I am probably loving the synchros up every time I have to shift into it. This is my 4th standard so I don't think it's my driving patterns. I saw someone on one of the ST forums actually had to have his tranny, master and slave cylinder replaced with redesigned parts so I am wondering if mine is in the same boat.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

bobfather posted:

Focus or Fiesta ST?

If it's a Focus, I have not seen reports of widespread issues with transmissions. Either way, probably 95% of STs on the road are within the 30k mile power and drivetrain warranty, so why don't you bring it to a reputable Ford dealer and tell them what has been happening?

Focus. I have an appointment for next week to drop it off, but I'm pretty certain the only thing they will be able to replicate is the wheel hop from the rear motor mount.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Ah, my shithole home town strikes again.

Run your nail across the key mark, if you feel it catch you can't buff it out but honestly from the pics you can tell it's hosed. Someone keyed my last lease on the driver side door about a foot long, they didn't charge me at the end of the lease for the damage.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Just the filter? Did you put the box back on or is the filter exposed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

Bob A Feet posted:

Went into get a nail pulled from my tire in my FoST and they found three nails near the sidewalls in three separate tires. On the fourth tire, a wire has poked through the rubber from within. So looks like I'm in the market for a new set of four. Should I stay with the Eagle F1s or go with something else? I live in NC if it helps and plan on buying dedicated winter tires/all weathers this fall.

Wow and I thought my luck was bad bending 3 rims and a blown tire due to potholes this year.