Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I grew up in SLO and so near the Madonna Inn. I don't think it's anything special but it and Cal Poly were most of the reason people passed through when I was growing up. The Madonna Inn has a number of "theme rooms" which is a big part of the draw, but apparently their cake shop is actually really good; my father and sister insist on a Madonna Inn cake every year for their birthdays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Papercut posted:

Most importantly, make sure you vote for Leland Yee for Secretary of State.

That's a man who gets things done, just check the wiretap!

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

CPColin posted:

Don't call it that.

In drought news, my local news, KSBY, just reported that the local "lake," which is drying up, will be a topic at the next SLO City Council meeting. I hope the result of the discussion is a 4-1 vote agreeing that "It's too bad the lake is drying up."

Then the news pointed out how much the dry lake affects the nearby homeowners. Those poor owners of $800k homes, temporarily without their lake.

Are you talking about Laguna Lake? Unless prices have absolutely skyrocketed there's no way those houses are $800k+. It was never even that nice of a lake to begin with ...

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Jesus, I would have never guessed those homes were even up that high. I lived in SLO through the 80s and 90s and I wouldn't have guessed that those homes topped 300k even at the height of the market.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

nm posted:

Gotta go to oakland

There's at least one good one in Petaluma behind the Safeway. Still makes me miss the SF trucks of old though.

:foodchat:

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Man I love living in this state. Mother Nature, when she gets going, is awesome.

(6.1 earthquake centered near American Canyon tonight at ~3:20 a.m.)

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

CPColin posted:

(Just kidding. I often escape to MB when SLO gets too "hot." Also when I need some salt-water taffy.)

Every time I go back home I make a point of visiting the Hoffbrau; I've never had a better French Dip (not meaning to start a foodchat derail!).

Do people from Arroyo Grande/Atascadero still visit SLO as the big city in the area? I know they've all but gutted/overhauled downtown.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

I've lived in Sonoma County for 15 years now and recently bought a house in Petaluma; as far as California locales you could certainly do worse. You're about an hour from any major big city but there's an impressive amount to do here as well.

As others have said, take a drive up to Healdsburg and out to Napa, then plan an afternoon to spend in Bodega Bay. Sebastopol is a quirky little town but it can be fun to visit as well.

There is some fantastic Thai food in the area, and quite a few other ethic cuisines are represented as well. With frequent farmers' markets (Petaluma, Santa Rosa, Sebastopol) you can really get the flavor of the area, pun intended.

If you ever want to drive into SF or Oakland, make sure to get a FasTrak – the Golden Gate Bridge doesn't take cash anymore and it's essentially free for the privilege to skip the toll lines on the other bridges. Definitely worth it.

If you want any other recommendations or advice about the County feel free to shoot me a PM

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Wait, what is this magic liquid coming from the sky?

Unrelated I was near Humboldt camping this past weekend and the sky was just brown and orange from all the smoke. Never saw any flames but man, it reminded me of living near the highway 41 and 46 fires of the early 90s.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I would second Petaluma; it's a fun and interesting town that has both cool antiques and cool stores that are useful to residents. You should also visit Mendocino and others of the small seaside towns. I don't know about real estate prices; Mendocino itself is probably expensive, but there are other villages nearby.

Petaluma really is a great place, but like most of the North Bay home prices have really climbed in the past two years. From what I hear the rental market is just bonkers too. SSU is building new apartments/dorms which should help ease the strain a bit but that's still more than a year off

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
If you live North of the grade, be prepared for brutal summers and heat through the rest of the year (relative to SLO proper). Moro Bay is quaint but it's saving grace is proximity to SLO (if the Bay itself isn't your thing).

Haven't lived in Arroyo Grande, but if you may be going up as far as Cambria that'll be a long drive.

Edit: That's what I get for not loading the next page.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I was in Hayward for a very stupid work thing the other day and the only interesting thing I found to do was leave. Of course it being 5:15 I just ate a long dinner so I could suffer the drive home without wanting to eat a bullet.

That's my Hayward story.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

mllaneza posted:

Petaluma to downtown SF on Golden Gate Transit isn't THAT bad of a commute.

Or do what I did and get a motorcycle and actually enjoy the commute (until you get run over and dragged on the freeway by an entitled Marinite).

I wouldn't really ever recommend the Sonoma County <--> SF commute. From Novato, sure

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

CPColin posted:

The city of SLO is pretty tough to scrape by in, because of a horrendous lack of workforce housing. Going half an hour north, to Atascadero or Paso Robles, might be more possible. Lots of restaurants and wineries up there that could always use clean dishes.

Yeah but then you have to live in Paso or Templeton. How are things down in AG these days? I know there's been some major improvements/expansion since I was last down that way.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Pray for me – I'm leaving the coast to spend all weekend in Modesto with the in-laws. I can at least hope the heat will render me unconscious until it's time to come home.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
It always felt like Paso/Atascadero was hotter than the face of the sun during Mid-State fair time; I'm actually surprised the highest is 115.

My folks reported that it was 102 in Los Osos today, which is just beyond belief

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
If Sonoma and Napa Counties could stop being on fire that'd be great, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
The central coast is starting to feel effects from the SoCal firestorm (Los Osos)

• Locked thread